PDA

View Full Version : White Crane Pole

KPM
05-10-2014, 12:22 PM
The exercise at the beginning of this video clip that is noted as "Dao Gwun" is also an exercise with the Wing Chun Pole. I added it to my abdominal conditioning routine awhile back and I think it has definitely improved my "short power" and waist control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXS4SJbua40

Incidently, the techniques in the rest of the video are somewhat similar to the pole techniques that Maul Mornie teaches in his Silat Suffian Bela Diri.

deejaye72
05-10-2014, 04:50 PM
nice exercise, it's different, i'll have to try it

Minghequan
05-15-2014, 02:55 AM
Great practice. This is of course Master Lee Kong. His style of Crane is older than the other 5 more "well-known" lineages.

The pole has a strong influence and place in White Crane Gongfu if one looks to the creation story of the art and the founder Fang Qiniang using the pole to test the reactions of the White Crane in nature!

Keith, one question though, why post this a purely White Crane aspect in the Wing Chun forum? Why not in the appropriate Southern Forum where it may have elicited more discussions?

LFJ
05-15-2014, 03:06 AM
The exercise is done in almost any TCMA system that uses the spear or long pole.

KPM
05-15-2014, 03:18 AM
The exercise is done in almost any TCMA system that uses the spear or long pole.

Exactly! I noted in my original post that this was an exercise with the Wing Chun pole as well. I've found it to be a good exercise even for people that haven't yet had the opportunity to study the pole. That's why I posted it.