PDA

View Full Version : Music

scotty1
11-20-2001, 11:43 AM
What music does everyone listen to when they're training? I mean at home really, but if you listen to some in class, tell us what it is. Obviously if you're doing Chi Kung you won't have music on, but for working out on the bag, lifting etc. I listen to hip hop (Lyricist Lounge, Mos Def, lil bit of Dre,) punk rock (West coast NoFX, Pennywise etc, East Coast Civ, Sick Of It All etc), Metal (Vision Of Disorder, Pantera, Deftones, Rage Against The Machine, Snot etc.) dance (Chemical Brothers etc.) and Drum and Bass.
Anything that gets you in the mood.
What about you lot?
Tell me what gets your juices flowing :eek: :confused: :D

Repulsive Monkey
11-20-2001, 11:56 AM
General stalwarts that I'll always hold close to my heart are:

The Fall (Naturally the only band on the planet worth listening to!),
Will Oldham/Palace/Palace Brothers/Bonnie Prince Billy/The Anomoanon etc.
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion,
Autechre,
Aphex Twin,
A.T.R.,
Captain Beefheart,
Beck (and only his good stuff i.e. first 3 records),
Joy Division,
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan,
Pepe Kale,
Sonic Youth

That'll do Im sure. Plus some newish bands at the moment:

Lift To Experience,
Aspects,
and obviously (zzzz) The Strokes & The White Stripes.

IronFist
11-20-2001, 12:13 PM
When lifting weights I listen to Spineshank.

Why does no one know who that is?

If you want more hardcore songs to lift to, download Synthetic, Malnutrition, and New Disease by Spineshank.

I used to listen to In Extremo on my way to the gym, before I discovered working out with a walkman. btw, mad props to anyone who knows who In Extremo is. But it doesn't count if you run a web search on them right now and then say you are familiar with them :P Oh yeah, and screw anyone who says bagpipes and metal don't mix :P :P :P
btw if anyone wants to hear some hardcore bagpipes and metal, download the song "Ai Vis Lo Lop" (if anyone can tell me what language this song is I'll be one happy guy. My guess is old french but I have no idea really) "Vollmond" is another good one, but the pipes don't come in until the solo. Also, another very good song is "Der Galgen." Der Galgen is German btw, it means, um, those things that you hang people by, not the noose, but the structure that the noose is tied to. Vollmond means full moon. This band sings in various European languages, such as German, old German, and old Sweedish. Sorry QeySuS, no Icelandic, though :(

Seriously, if someone dl's these songs let me know what you think.

Iron

"Now why the **** would you censor "d.ork?"

[This message was edited by IronFist on 11-21-01 at 02:29 AM.]

Ish
11-20-2001, 02:04 PM
i listen to music when doing chi kung, i dont know what it is just quiet peacefull music. When i say listen i really mean its turned on but i dont really listen to it.

scotty1
11-20-2001, 02:41 PM
I know who Spineshank are. Not to cause offence, but they're not really my bag. That sort of music is, but Spineshank sort of struck me as unoriginal. But then I've only heard their first album, and I thought it sounded like Fear Factory meets Deftones.
And talking of Bagpipes, the first ones I ever heard mixed with metal were on Korn's first album.
Anyway....

Sharky
11-20-2001, 03:04 PM
i think when working out it's ok, but when "meditating" or doing any kung fu you want silence.

Also, on an unrelated note, my old maths teacher said that if you learn/do something when there is music playing, say, a certain song, it's harder to recall how to do it if there is no music or that song isn't playing. His words not mine but it doesn't sound ridiculous?

That said, i ALWAYS have music playing, i think i am scared of silence lol

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

HopGar
11-20-2001, 03:17 PM
Celtic Rock - its kinda invigorating, regardless of the bagpipes, not to mention that it is more or less punck rock anyways,

Modern Jewish Music - well i am jewish, need I say more?

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

HopGar
11-20-2001, 03:18 PM
those bands would be:
Celtic: Seven Nations, Gaelic Storm, a mix or two.
Jewish: no need to mention, no one's heard of these guys anyway.

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

neptunesfall
11-20-2001, 04:13 PM
i don't listen to music when i train. or for like 30 min before i train. i found that getting music stuck in my head is VERY annoying when doing qigong.other than that.....

beastie boys-deftones-snapcase-dj ming+fs-lamb
-portishead-tool-the roots-dinosaur, jr.-
hot water music-hum-elliot-smashing pumpkins-
fugazi-refused.....mostly indie rock, punk, trip hop, hip hop and drum n bass.

scotty1
11-20-2001, 05:20 PM
Its called context dependent recall and it works when you're drunk, stoned, hapy, sad, underwater etc...

KC Elbows
11-20-2001, 05:26 PM
I can't really put on music when I'm training. I have just enough music training that when music is playing, part of my brain tends to break it down into its parts and how they relate, and this tends to make it difficult to focus on training.

And what would you do with a brain if you had one? -Dorothy to the Scarecrow

MaFuYee
11-20-2001, 06:06 PM
i like to listen to:

ace of base
chumbawumba
william shatner
abba
the spice girls
cher
jennifer love hewitt
puff daddy
auqa
limp bizkit
kid rock
and yanni

- neque mibi quisquam Judaeorum fabulas objiciat.

wisdom mind
11-20-2001, 06:23 PM
nu breaks hip hop drum and bass shizzy

burn dem wikked mon every time
with more fire

Budokan
11-20-2001, 07:13 PM
I don't listen to music while I'm training. At home I usually listen to classical music and jazz.

K. Mark Hoover

Nexus
11-20-2001, 07:53 PM
While doing qi gong:

Anything by Vangelis tends to be good.
The Tao of Healing
Some Yoga musics
Massage Therapy music tends to be nice...

As Ish says, its really background music, and my focus is not on the music, but it is nice to set the mood, and if you have a cd that runs an hour and a half, when the music stops playing, its often a sign that you can wrap up your qi gong etc if you are on a time-limit of some sort.

- Nexus

PaleDragon
11-20-2001, 10:39 PM
Sepultura
Slayer
Mudvayne
Slipknot
Misfits
Pennywise
Tool
No Use for a Name
Nothingface
Deftones
40 Below Summer
Chimira
Fear Factory
Korn
Staind
Anti Flag
Aus Rotten
Soulfly
Gwar
Ramones
Reel Big Fish(stop laughing now)
Suicide Machines
Sevendust
I dont have any recordings of spineshank but i've seen them live...theyre' pretty cool

Shaolindynasty
11-20-2001, 10:49 PM
2Pac
DMX
Wutang
Jay-Z
Actually most new east coast
or old west coast stuff
I don't like the "dirty south" stuff
and Nelly gets on my **** nerves

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

gano_b
11-20-2001, 11:19 PM
Tool
Tool
Tool
and um...
Tool
Saliva
Disturbed
oh, and um...
Tool

but not when I'm training.

"There is no try...do, or do not."

KC Elbows
11-20-2001, 11:21 PM
gano, did you go to the Tool show? Great fun!! :D

taijiquan_student
11-20-2001, 11:28 PM
Jazz all the way!!!(I play sax)
Playing music is actually my other love(Martial arts being the other).

"Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Wongsifu
11-21-2001, 01:45 AM
when i used to hit the weights and do less chi kung i used to listen to

kiss
black sabbath
sisters of mercy

oh and stuff like nan er dan zi jian the wong fei hung theme tune or things like capoeira music from only the strong soundtrack. As well as different 60-70-80's rock.

This is because THC is not an alkaloid. It does not contain a nitrogen atom, therefore it is a terpenophenolic compound

jun_erh
11-21-2001, 03:45 AM
My current faves

1. "Gunplay" Prodigy (from Mobb Deep, not the techno group) Mobb Deeps songs are all about winning no matter what the cost and not living in fear. I met them once and it's crazy because they're both like 98 lb guys, but they have so much courage...and artillery
2."You can't kill me" Capone N Noriega. This is some gladiator ****. I like when he goes "You can't murder what's dead" because it's like you're just living to destroy!!! I CANNOT BE KILLED!!!!
3 "We gon' buck" from the 41st side album featuring Cormega and the afformentioned Capone N Nore. this just kicks ass. Except this one guy Lake has this real old school flow, but I guess it's okay.

Also Black Moon's "Enter da Stage" LP. Pretty much any mobb deep album. :D

I can appreciate Slayer and stuff, but to me hip hop just seems more dangerous for some reason, I like that it's so scary even though the samples are often really quiet like piano or a little keyboard thing. How do they do that?

baji-boy
11-21-2001, 04:41 AM
I don't listen to music when training/practicing, but I listen to punk/emo/ska and the like. My favorite bands are:

The Get Up Kids, Reggie and The Full Effect, Alkaline Trio, NOFX, (anyone under Vagrant Records), 311....the list goes on!

Wongsifu
11-21-2001, 03:59 PM
dude its so cool nobody listens to anything cruddy and comercial.

This is because THC is not an alkaloid. It does not contain a nitrogen atom, therefore it is a terpenophenolic compound

Chang Style Novice
11-21-2001, 04:46 PM
I don't listen to music while training (taiji relies heavily on concentrating on the rhythms of one's breath, and music rhythms are disruptive.)

But I love music! MANY kinds. I'll run through the "S"s of my music collection, and I challenge anyone to have a wider, more diverse list than mine.

Saafir, David Sanborn, Pharaoh Sanders, Santana, Erik Satie, Saukrates, Sausage, John Scofield, Gil Scott-Heron, Screaming Blue Messiahs, Screaming Headless Torsos, Eric Sermon, Sha-key, Pandit Ravi Shankar, Pandit Shivkumar Sharma, Sonny Sharrock, Elliot Sharp, Matthew Shipp, Wayne Shorter, Showbiz and AG, Shyhiem, Sonny Simmons, Simon and Garfunkel, Nicky Skopelitis, Slavemaster, Jimmy Smith, Sonic Youth, Soul Asylum, Souls of Mischief, Soundbombing, a great many movie soundtracks (largely hiphop, some instrumentals), Otis Spann, Spearhead, Special Ed, Carl Stalling, Mike Stern, Stetsasonic, Sting, Sonny Stitt, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Stolen Moments (compilation), The Stooges, Igor Stravinsky, Sublime, Subtext (compilation), Dr. L. Subramaniam, Sugar Hill Records, Sugar, Sunday All Over the World, Supremes, Pimp. Ujang Suryana, Matthew Sweet, Swollen Members

That's a pretty good picture of what I like, excpet that recently I've gotten into classic country music like George Jones, Hank Williams Sr, Bob Wills and the Texas Pklayboys, and like that (Which isn't represented under S yet.)

Feel free to use a bugging eye smiley, SUCKERS!

neptunesfall
11-21-2001, 04:58 PM
the get up kids rock!