PDA

View Full Version : Traditional style represented in latest UFC???

DragonzRage
11-03-2001, 10:09 PM
One of the preliminary fighters in the UFC this time around was Frank Mir. He scored a quick victory by armbar over his opponent Robert Traven. Aside from being a successful Bjj/submission grappling competitor, Frank Mir is also a lifelong practitioner of Kenpo. So hey, a crosstrained traditional practitioner did win, although I have no idea as to how much Kenpo he employed. For all I know he could've waltzed right in for the takedown without even attempting any stand up. But he does train in Kenpo, that much is certain :D

"The UFC spawned a new breed of "mixed martial artists." World-class wrestlers learned to kickbox. Champion kickboxers learned to grapple. (The karate experts learned to stay home.)"

Mr. Nemo
11-03-2001, 10:48 PM
Carlos Newton's main background is in japanese ju jitsu, I suppose you could call him a traditional stylist. There are guys with strong judo backgrounds (Sakurai), and Shonie Carter claims karate and judo as his styles. Chuck Lidell has a kenpo tattoo on his arm, but I'm not sure that he trains it at all anymore. And of course, Keith Hackney had some success back in the day...

Depending on how you define "traditional," muay thai could be called a traditional art as well. And brazilian jiu jitsu isn't exactly a new art, neither is wrestling, greco or freestyle.

Personally, I've given up on the word "traditional." It doesn't really mean anything. There's effective training and ineffective training. There's no such distinction as traditional training and non-traditional training.

SevenStar
11-03-2001, 11:04 PM
good post.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Wongsifu
11-04-2001, 12:17 AM
dont wanna be a party pooper but in my eyes a traditional guy is one who doesnt employ anything but exactly what is defined under his lineages teachings, if it has stood the test of time.

However what i really wanna see is a guy win those competitions who doesnt crosstrain

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

LEGEND
11-04-2001, 01:16 AM
WongSifu...not possible...these are world class athletes in MMA...they understand the game and the RULEs...Traditional arts can win in street fights against the common bar room brawlers and thugs...but not in MMA WITHOUT Crosstraining.

A

Merryprankster
11-04-2001, 01:39 AM
Nice post Legend! And great post to Nemo too...