PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Titles

mooyingmantis
06-04-2014, 04:01 PM
If you are a kung fu instructor, what title do you go by: sifu, coach, master, grandmaster, Mr./Ms.? Why have you chosen this particular title?

Dale Dugas
06-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Shifu means Teacher Father.

Why would you call yourself anything other than teacher.

People that call themselves masters or grandmastes are deluded. It is a title that other use for you, not yourself. Deluded twats.

practice more and stop calling yourself by false names.

-N-
06-04-2014, 07:10 PM
My Sihing and I always just went by our first names.

In recent years, we picked up more students that are native Chinese speakers. They just naturally call us Sifu, so we just go with that now since we're all Chinese anyway.

pazman
06-04-2014, 07:49 PM
You don't get to choose your title. Your social role, the situation, and the people around you determine that.

I've been called "coach" here in the USA, but I prefer people use my first name. I prefer peer-to-peer over teacher-student, as usually most people I've "coached" usually have a skill that I want to learn as well. The benefit to this is that everybody learns, and nobody expects payment.

Dale Dugas
06-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Way too many as shat here in the USA who are calling themselves things that would NEVER be said.

You want to call yourself a master, be prepared to be called to the mat and showcase all that you have mastered. Most of these fools could not find their behinds with a flashlight and a map.

Lame and sad.

Dale Dugas
06-04-2014, 08:07 PM
too many people want to be a martial arts master without mastering the martials arts.

PalmStriker
06-04-2014, 08:14 PM
:) "boss" with a western drawl Cantonese accent.

Faux Newbie
06-04-2014, 08:53 PM
I tend to feel that if my actions do not inspire others to say my name with respect, then no title will solve that problem.

I understand the use of sifu, just not big on being called it.

David Jamieson
06-05-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm good with Dave.

David is also good.

I do have certificates that say I'm an instructor though!! :p
lol. They're buried in a closet somewhere upstairs....

mooyingmantis
06-05-2014, 04:47 PM
I originally started this thread because this past weekend one of my Chinese instructors referred to me as a "master" when speaking to another individual. I felt honored that he would compliment me in such a way, but I don't use those types of terms when referring to myself.

Most of my adult students address me as "Richard". One always addresses me as "sifu" because of his past training in another guan.

I expect my teenage students to refer to me as "Mr. Tolson". Since, even at 56 years of age I still address my seniors as "mister" or "ms".

I hate the term "coach". Maybe if I taught volleyball or boxing, but not for TCMA.

After 46 years of training, I do feel that I have mastered a few skills. Yet, referring to myself as a "master" seems arrogant. Though other trades, art-forms and at least one sport refers to highly accomplished individuals as "masters". So, I don't think that using the term is necessarily wrong.

BTW, I refer to my instructors by the terms "sifu" or "master" depending on those overhearing the conversation in public and by their first name in private.

Thank you for the feedback!

SPJ
06-05-2014, 05:41 PM
1. A teacher, instructor or coach all appropriate.

2. if you teach for a long time or for more advanced classes

senior instructor is also appropriate.

:)

-N-
06-05-2014, 06:54 PM
I originally started this thread because this past weekend one of my Chinese instructors referred to me as a "master" when speaking to another individual. I felt honored that he would compliment me in such a way, but I don't use those types of terms when referring to myself.

Well, if you're introducing or referencing yourself, you just go by name. You don't introduce by any title that students might call you.

-N-
06-05-2014, 06:58 PM
BTW, I refer to my instructors by the terms "sifu" or "master" depending on those overhearing the conversation in public and by their first name in private.

Traditionally, the student always uses the term Sifu, whether in public or private.

Culturally, I would never be able to call my teacher by his first name.

No different than how people expect youngsters to say Mr. or Ms.

YouKnowWho
06-05-2014, 07:11 PM
People that call themselves masters or grandmastes are deluded.

I was in a Catholic church English class when I was young, during the introduction, I said, "I'm Mr. ...". Everybody was laughing.

-N-
06-05-2014, 08:49 PM
When I was in a Catholic church English class when I was young, during the introduction, I said, "I'm Mr. ...". Everybody was laughing.

One of my Japanese friends told me she was embarrassed that a karate instructor introduced himself with, "I'm Sensei ..."

Dale Dugas
06-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Learning Japanese in undergraduate school was fun and man oh man did I open mouth and insert my size 13s numerous times.

GeneChing
06-06-2014, 08:23 AM
I've been at odds with the term 'sifu' for years. A lot of people call me that, given my position here. At the Tai Chi Gala (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?56858-The-Tai-Chi-Gala), they give me that title because I'm a presenter. The same happens with most formal events. I'm okay with it now. Even though I don't really feel that I'm at a level to warrant being called 'sifu', especially given some of the inspirational sifu that I've had the honor of meeting, I keep in mind that the term can be used informally for any position of authority in Mandarin, for a taxi cab driver or the manager of a restaurant.

What amuses me more is this trend of people using the title 'sigong' or 'sihing'. I supposed they think that 'sigong' is a higher ranking title than 'sifu' and that 'sihing' is more modest, but to use either as a title is out of context. Those are terms that are used within a family, so they don't really work as a formal title to people outside their lineage.

As for my slaves who call me 'master', my boots need cleaning again.

Dale Dugas
06-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Hahahaha.

Nice one, brother.

SteveLau
06-06-2014, 11:45 PM
All the titles mentioned here are alright to me. But I like the title, instructor, the best. Because some of the other titles have been misused quit a bit.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Dale Dugas
06-07-2014, 05:49 AM
it is not the title thats the issue, its people calling THEMSELVES Master, Grandmaster, Sigung, Sijo. Others call you those titles if deserved and warranted.

Too many people are more worried about titles than making sure they can actually use the material they teach.

r.(shaolin)
06-07-2014, 12:18 PM
I've been at odds with the term 'sifu' for years. . . . I keep in mind that the term can be used informally for any position of authority in Mandarin, for a taxi cab driver or the manager of a restaurant.

What amuses me more is this trend of people using the title 'sigong' or 'sihing'. I supposed they think that 'sigong' is a higher ranking title than 'sifu' and that 'sihing' is more modest, but to use either as a title is out of context. Those are terms that are used within a family, so they don't really work as a formal title to people outside their lineage.

You are right, even the title, 'Shifu' is a relational term and used in context of a 'teacher/student/ relationship (師徒 shi tu). Sometimes non-practitioners will address a martial arts teacher as 'shi fu', even though they are not students of the person, but that is generally out of politeness.
Terms such as 師公 shigong, etc. are relational and, as you say, used it context of the 'family'. The same person can be addressed as "Shifu', 'Shigong', 'Shi Tai Ye' or any of the terms below depending who is talking to him or her.

Students: 弟子 di zi or 徒弟 tu di
Students of your master’s brother: 同門 tong men
Grand students: 徒孫 tu sun
Your senior brother: 師兄 shi xiong
Your junior brother: 師弟 shi di
Your senior sister: 師姐 shi jie
your junior sister: 師 妹 shi mei
Your teacher: 師父 Shi fu
Your teacher's senior brother: 師伯 shi bo
Your teacher's junior brother: , 師叔 shi shu
Your teacher's female classmate: 師姑 shi gu
Your teacher's wife: 師母 shi mu
Female master’s husband: 師丈 shi zhang
Your teacher's teacher (grandmaster): or 師公 shigong; 師爺 shi ye; or 師祖 shi zu
Your grandmaster's senior brother 師伯公 shi bo gong
Your grandmaster's junior brother 師叔公 shi shu gong
Your grandmaster's female classmate: 師姑婆 shi gu po
Your grandmaster's wife: 師姥 shi lao; or you can use 師婆 shi po
Your Great Grand Master: 師太爺 shi tai ye; or you can use 師太祖 shi tai zu

r.
www.shaolinwushu.com

Jimbo
06-08-2014, 08:07 AM
If you are a kung fu instructor, what title do you go by: sifu, coach, master, grandmaster, Mr./Ms.? Why have you chosen this particular title?

When I taught my own group for a few years, I went by the title of Sifu. I taught as a extension/branch of my own (CLF) Sifu, and was expected to use that title. I will always, happily and with full respect, refer to my Sifu as 'Sifu', because that is who and what he is. To my students, he was 'Sigung'. He's been a MAist since before I was born, and I'm 51 now. But for myself, I would have been fine, and more comfortable, if my own students addressed me by the formal version of my first name (James).

I consider myself a lifelong practitioner, and would feel particularly uncomfortable if someone called me 'master'. Once while I was helping to officiate at a tournament, the head official referred to us as masters to the division's competitors prior to starting, telling them to "respect these masters who have been where you want to be". Deep down inside, I cringed a little when he said that. I guess it's a little personal hang up of mine.

My Northern Mantis teacher in Taiwan didn't go by 'Shifu', but simply 'Laoshi'.

MasterKiller
06-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Everyone calls me Coach.

Kellen Bassette
06-08-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm gonna start referring to myself in the third person, as "Mountain Lord."

SteveLau
06-13-2014, 12:40 AM
it is not the title thats the issue, its people calling THEMSELVES Master, Grandmaster, Sigung, Sijo. Others call you those titles if deserved and warranted.

Yep. Last year I quit a school of whom the chief instructor uses the title Ten Dan Grandmaster on his name card and info on Facebook. I resent it a bit, and still joined the school because I can tolerate such commercial business practice. But at the end that chief instructor misbehaved. And that was why I left.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

crazymaddrunk
11-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Dang Gene, you sound like you may know a thing or two about the 'lifestyle' haha.