PDA

View Full Version : So I know a guy...

Faux Newbie
06-10-2014, 01:10 AM
...who does wing chun, he and I trained together for some years in the style I do. Very good martial artist. We each have some training ideas that the other might not necessarily agree 100% with, but we manage to get along.

Is he doing wing chun right?

Wayfaring
06-10-2014, 01:40 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum to discuss you "knowing a guy".....

But then again there are a lot of threads lately that seem to be heading in that direction. :D:D:D

Grumblegeezer
06-10-2014, 08:26 AM
...who does wing chun, he and I trained together for some years in the style I do. Very good martial artist. We each have some training ideas that the other might not necessarily agree 100% with, but we manage to get along.

Absolutely not. If he is doing WC correctly, he won't get along with anybody. He probably won't spar either. Proper WC is all about bickering and arguing theory, lineage, ...the weather, and whatever else comes up. If you don't believe me, just check out some of the other WC threads running currently.

Faux Newbie
06-10-2014, 10:52 AM
To be fair, I don't also do wing chun, so there is no opportunity for us to argue over which of us is or isn't doing the real wing chun.

Still, I feel he is letting his community down. Should I call for an intervention?

Grumblegeezer
06-10-2014, 11:02 AM
To be fair, I don't also do wing chun, so there is no opportunity for us to argue over which of us is or isn't doing the real wing chun.

Still, I feel he is letting his community down. Should I call for an intervention?

No, just get him stop training and start posting here, and being sure to make a lot of outrageous and provocative comments. He can start by trashing me. And no need to feel bad. In my day job I deal with about 100 rude teenagers a day (not counting my own kids). I've become very used to disrespect!

...or you could post an informal video of one of your sparring sessions. Then we can all say nasty things about it, and maybe a couple of us can derail the thread into a personal argument that drags on for a dozen pages. Still it would be interesting to see what you guys are up to. Just don't expect us to admit that publicly!

Faux Newbie
06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
No, just get him stop training and start posting here, and being sure to make a lot of outrageous and provocative comments. He can start by trashing me. And no need to feel bad. In my day job I deal with about 100 rude teenagers a day (not counting my own kids). I've become very used to disrespect!

...or you could post an informal video of one of your sparring sessions. Then we can all say nasty things about it, and maybe a couple of us can derail the thread into a personal argument that drags on for a dozen pages. Still it would be interesting to see what you guys are up to. Just don't expect us to admit that publicly!

Your post really needs to be stickied at the top of the forum.:D

anerlich
06-10-2014, 10:48 PM
I wrote this back in 2007 when Terence, Victor, and Knifefighter were around, but it seems to be still somewhat relevant:

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?45969-How-to-succeed-at-21st-Century-Wing-Chun

Faux Newbie
06-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Wing Chun is complicated business. For instance, if you don't box, then you should feel shame. If you have boxed, then you can never escape your shame.

Most of the lineage wars in my system involve ex-girlfriends or money.

anerlich
06-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Wing Chun is complicated business. For instance, if you don't box, then you should feel shame. If you have boxed, then you can never escape your shame.

Wing Chun is the only style that involves a type of original sin. Take a particular brand of it up, you are an immediate loser to about 80% of the forum membership and must be flamed to a crisp for your own good.

Most of the lineage wars in my system involve ex-girlfriends or money.

Pretty unimaginative. There is so much more ridiculous, esoteric and pointless other cr@p to argue about.

Faux Newbie
06-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Wing Chun is the only style that involves a type of original sin. Take a particular brand of it up, you are an immediate loser to about 80% of the forum membership and must be flamed to a crisp for your own good.

Distract detractors with links to the Shaolin Do thread.

Pretty unimaginative. There is so much more ridiculous, esoteric and pointless other cr@p to argue about.

I know. Sometimes, I try to use an arm motion to do something others don't do with it, but nothing. It's like we're not even trying.

KPM
06-11-2014, 03:37 AM
I wrote this back in 2007 when Terence, Victor, and Knifefighter were around, but it seems to be still somewhat relevant:

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?45969-How-to-succeed-at-21st-Century-Wing-Chun

Wow! Replace "clueless theoretician" with "idle speculator" and this is still spot on!

GlennR
06-11-2014, 04:08 AM

Only seven years old but still spot on

Grumblegeezer
06-12-2014, 10:57 AM

I missed that the first time around, since I didn't start following this forum until later that year. Anyway, great post! I say this as a guy who teaches more like "CT WC" but has a real appreciation for the "21st Cent WC" perspective --Hi Twen!-- point of view. In other words, I really love WC and enjoy what different lineages and perspectives have to offer. --So of course, everybody hates me "URD, URD, URD".

Now whatever happened to all the other folks with who used to post insightful and witty stuff on here?

Faux Newbie
06-12-2014, 10:59 AM
I missed that the first time around, since I didn't start following this forum until later that year. Anyway, great post! I say this as a guy who teaches more like "CT WC" but has a real appreciation for the "21st Cent WC" perspective --Hi Twen!-- point of view. In other words, I really love WC and enjoy what different lineages and perspectives have to offer. --So of course, everybody hates me "URD, URD, URD".

Now whatever happened to all the other folks with who used to post insightful and witty stuff on here?

Yeah, it's amazing how not choosing a side drives some people nuts.

Grumblegeezer
06-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it's amazing how not choosing a side drives some people nuts.

Yeah, like when I train luk dim boon kwun and bart cham dao and beat people with short rattan sicks (with ref. to Anerlich's old post).

And, before anybody knocks the stick thing, just think about all the people posting on here who you'd like to beat with a stick!

pazman
06-12-2014, 11:25 AM

In a word, NO.

There are many essential elements of Wang Chung.

Does your friend claim mastery after 3 years of practice and set off on a seminar circuit to make boatloads of cash from idiots? No? NOT WANG CHUNG.

Does your friend freely spar with people of other styles and exchange information in a friendly, non-confrontational way? Yes? NOT WANG CHUNG.

Does your friend fly into a fit of sissy-rage over things like lineage or the angle of bongsao? No? NOT WANG CHUNG.

Does your friend have snake engine? No? NOT WANG CHUNG.

These are the indisputable facts.

YouKnowWho
06-12-2014, 11:52 AM
If he is doing WC correctly, he won't get along with anybody. He probably won't spar either.

Back in 1973, I met 2 brothers Jeffery Law and Phillip Law from Hong Kong under Ip Men. All of us were UT Austin students. I sparred the younger brother Phillip Law. The older brother Jeffery Law cross training long fist with me. They both had open mind.

Grumblegeezer
06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Back in 1973, I met 2 brothers Jeffery Law and Phillip Law from Hong Kong under Ip Men. All of us were UT Austin students. I sparred the younger brother Phillip Law. The older brother Jeffery Law cross training long fist with me. They both had open mind.

That's totally cool. And I'll bet there are a lot of others with a cool attitude out there. You just don't hear about them much.