PDA

View Full Version : What is the significance?

Minghequan
06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Here is the Statue of the White Crane Founder Fang Qiniang.

What I'm seeking to ask is what is the significance of the object shown in the statue's left hand? Anyone?

Paddington
06-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Is it a spindle that is used in weaving? That is perhaps the wrong term, I mean the bit of equipment that is passed through the weave and has a thread wrapped around it.

EDIT: Just googled, is it a shuttle?

KPM
06-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Is it a discus that suggests a relationship to Greek martial arts? ;):p

Kellen Bassette
06-12-2014, 06:28 PM
I think it's a batarang.

YouKnowWho
06-12-2014, 07:26 PM
I think it can be as a throwing weapon 梭 (Suo). It can be 1 lb or 1/2 lb in weight. Since it's pointing on both ends, you don't need tassel for it. One of 2 ends will hit the target when throwing. Of course it can be just a weaving shuttle.

Paddington
06-13-2014, 12:35 AM
I think it can be as a throwing weapon 梭 (Suo). It can be 1 lb or 1/2 lb in weight. Since it's pointing on both ends, you don't need tassel for it. One of 2 ends will hit the target when throwing. Of course it can be just a weaving shuttle.

Well, I think it is definitely a weaving shuttle and the relief behind the statue shows what looks like a weaving frame. The other hand, the one Hendrik is obsessed with, has a thread / cord attached to it which connects to the, presumably, wooden planks / sticks shown as slightly curved like bows (no, I don't mean in Hendrik's sense).

After a little research I found that the origin story for white crane has this feminine character weaving at the time she first observes the crane. Apparently she threw stuff at it, the shuttle perhaps. This possibility is perhaps reinforced when you look at the relief and see the shuttle in a raised position as to be thrown. Also in tai chi there is a movement, I believe, called 'delicate woman weaving' (?). I could be mistaken here.

Still, I am at a loss as to the significance beyond what I say above.

anerlich
06-13-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't know, but the statue's Herman Munster neck bolts seem to have been placed a little too high up.