PDA

View Full Version : Defense against a muay thai snapkick???

SevenStar
11-20-2001, 10:40 PM
WTF?

http://www.dragonslist.com/homepages/self-defense/snake/snake/roundkick.html

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Shaolindynasty
11-20-2001, 10:43 PM
That guys gonna get knocked out one day! "here kick me in the head, don't worry I judged where your kick will snapp". I feel sorry for him when he finds out MT people follow through on those kicks and don't usually snap them

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

qeySuS
11-20-2001, 10:51 PM
usually? Muay Thai ALWAYS follows through, snaps are in TKD and Kickboxing, i like snapping, but even when you snap your tought not to just tag the guy, go through him, so think like your going to snap at the other side of him.

Plus that bending down thing he's doing, ok i know that TKD and MT are two very different things, but MT guys are usually good kickers so i'm guessing this applies to them as well, but i learned very quickly in TKD that trying to bow under (kinda like ducking a hook in boxing) a roundhouse kick, does not work, it worked wonders when i fought the lower belts, then i got the black belt and he did the roundhouse, i ducked and he just changed it into a hammer kick (hammer or axe kick depends on what you call it) in midair and landed hard on my head/back, havent tried to duck a roundhouse since :)

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Shaolindynasty
11-20-2001, 11:00 PM
Well I figured I'd say usually just to be safe :)

qeySuS
11-20-2001, 11:17 PM
hehe yeah they propably know how to snap ;) But i'm not sure you can snap when your kickign with the shin, well you CAN but it'd hardly be a powerful kick.

Free thinkers are dangerous!

IronFist
11-20-2001, 11:51 PM
http://www.dragonslist.com/homepages/self-defense/snake/snake/RoundKick2.gif

I didn't know Muay Thai guys made a crane fist with their leading hand while kicking?

This just got added to my "make fun of stupid MA's" list.

Iron

"Now why the **** would you censor "d.ork?"

Ironman PostLog: 1100 - 11/20/01

LEGEND
11-20-2001, 11:57 PM
Muy thai has a snapkick??? My god...I didn't know this???

A

joedoe
11-20-2001, 11:59 PM
What an idiot. No wonder people like Ralek make fun of kung fu :(

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Jaguar Wong
11-21-2001, 12:01 AM
Please oh please someone try this defense against me :) Hey maybe I can convince Tigerstyle to try this crap, er defense. I promise I won't go all out. I'm not the best kicker around, but I've never seen anyone that can drop into that stance before my foot either connects, or passes by (I miss my kicks too you know :)).

As for the snap, I really dig the way Muay Thai executes the roundhouse, but I didn't learn how to do it their way, so my roundhouse is not so much of a follow through, or even a snap. It's more if a "hip twist", like turning the knee over. It's similar to what I've seen in Savate, and Muay Thai, but like I said, I didn't learn either style, so I can't say for sure :). I can say that you get a lot of power with the lead leg this way.

Jaguar Wong
The 6th Deadly Venom!

Jaguar's Wife (To "Judo" Gene Lebell): "Excuse me, my friend (Tigerstyle) wants to know if we can take a picture of you choking him."
Gene LeBell (in a gravely voice): "If he don't mind, I don't mind."
- actual event from DragonFest 1999

rubthebuddha
11-21-2001, 12:02 AM
how much time did the feeder offer the demonstrator so he could duck, grab the apparently snapped leg and punch away at the tender bits?

of course, maybe this guy is just so exceptionally quick that he can get away with it. now, if that's the case, i can't wait until he realizes - while ducking - that most thai kicks are to the legs. :D

-rtb

Jaguar Wong
11-21-2001, 12:08 AM
rubthebuddha, LOL
I tried to duck a leg kick once.......once. On the other hand, I actually had someone duck one of my low kicks while sparring (I think it was at the hip/thigh level, but I can't tell, cause he ducked it :eek:). He didn't really drop into an effective stance, he kind of freaked out when he saw the kick wasn't going high, and sort of flopped to the ground. It was easy Pickins after that :) To bad I didn't have any ground fighting skill back then, I could have had a field day instead of just pimp stomping the guy for fun.

Jaguar Wong
The 6th Deadly Venom!

Jaguar's Wife (To "Judo" Gene Lebell): "Excuse me, my friend (Tigerstyle) wants to know if we can take a picture of you choking him."
Gene LeBell (in a gravely voice): "If he don't mind, I don't mind."
- actual event from DragonFest 1999

Xebsball
11-21-2001, 12:23 AM
That really doesnt look like a thai kick...

----------------------------
Friday evening / The blood still on my hands
To think that she would leave me now / For that ungrateful man

Sole survivor / No witness to the crime
I must act fast to cover up / I think that there's still time

He'd seem hopeless and lost with this note / They'll buy into the words that I wrote

"This feeling inside me
Finally found my love, I've finally broke free
No longer torn in two
I'd take my own life before losing you"

Kung Lek
11-21-2001, 12:31 AM
ok, half way through I'd change my direction and stomp his extended leg. yeesh.

to move down and up in the time it takes to throw the kick? no way man!

This guy needs to review his Kung Fu applications.

there are ways to defend against that, but what is being advocated in those shots takes way to much time and I can't see it working.

oh well, ya see all kinds I guess.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

rogue
11-21-2001, 12:49 AM
Wow and all it took was three large movements. Must have been one really slow kick.

Also don't tell him that boxers usually throw combos and not lone hooks.

Here's a karate thrust punch, probably from the karate thrust kata. :rolleyes:
http://www.dragonslist.com/homepages/self-defense/snake/snake/ThrustPunch1.gif

"Karate, an extremely common martial art that many people use to attack with, for in mordern times some Instructors are lax upon their duty of enforcing discipline and self-control."

Must be talking about Budokan. ;)

"Use as much compassion as you can do not drop to their level and wish to hurt them unless you must to protect yourself or others."

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

joedoe
11-21-2001, 01:02 AM
Is it just me or does the guy on the left in the picture rogue posted look like he is striking a "Staying Alive" pose? :D

You're fu(king up my chi

rogue
11-21-2001, 01:05 AM
Bam, nice AB.

Check out entering and bridging.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

KC Elbows
11-21-2001, 01:05 AM
The only time I've seen someone succesfully use that stance(pu bu? Not sure the correct name) against a roundhouse, they didn't come back up, but did a monkey roll away from the attacker to avoid the followup. It isn't really a duck under, but duck away and under, and its more a last resort. That coming back in stuff is pretty **** dangerous.

However, the fact remains that I do know a five animals practitioner that can evade that way, but he doesn't come back in like that.

Wongsifu
11-21-2001, 01:15 AM
all i can say for those applications is :rolleyes:

This is because THC is not an alkaloid. It does not contain a nitrogen atom, therefore it is a terpenophenolic compound

Shaolindynasty
11-21-2001, 05:29 AM
If he droped straight down ducking could work but I don't recomend not covering the head while doing it. I suprised, so many coments about the duck and nobody noticed he would have caught the kick.........with his face! :eek:

joedoe
11-21-2001, 05:31 AM
OMG. I think their Sifu is John Travolta! :D

You're fu(king up my chi

wufupaul
11-21-2001, 05:33 AM
come on guyeesszzz..I bwock it aww daaaaaaaaa time wid my headddd..no braiwn dramage yaaeettt.

"I want to share something with you -- the three sentences that will get you through life. Number one, "Cover for me." Number two, "Oh, good idea, boss!" Number three, "It was like that when I got here." -Homer Simpson, THE SIMPSONS

rogue
11-21-2001, 06:03 AM
Sifu Denny Terrio.

I think the snake creeps down makes it easier on the guy after he gets hit, less distance to fall.

Signed,

SantaClaus
11-21-2001, 06:17 AM
there are far far better ways to counter that. He's gonna get the **** kicked out of him. The problem is that the other guy can't kick. If I saw that (and I can kick) he would get beaned.

However It would be supprising to see someone attempting it.

SantaClaus
11-21-2001, 06:20 AM
he also evades backwards with the stance

SantaClaus
11-21-2001, 06:32 AM
This boy knows nothing, he sucks and would get beat up by a boxer or wrestler of 2 weeks. He has no power, no allignment and has probably never sweated while doing kung fu.

Sharky
11-21-2001, 08:21 AM
the wing chun part is just as good

http://www.dragonslist.com/homepages/self-defense/snake/WingChun/boxinground.html

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Kaitain(UK)
11-21-2001, 12:54 PM
it's a bit like the anti-taiji stuff we saw before

this guy is anti-kung-fu matter - he's already affected me

must.....duck.....kick........ow
must.....let...opponent......knee.....me
must.....wear.....bad......clothes.......

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

scotty1
11-21-2001, 02:52 PM
They have got the whle of The Art Of War.
Anybody read that?

Chang Style Novice
11-21-2001, 06:34 PM
Not only do I have no defense against a muy thai snapkick, I am also defenseless against a Pad Thai snackpack.

I hope dinner is ready soon.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-22-2001, 04:49 AM
http://www.dragonslist.com/homepages/self-defense/snake/snake/RoundKick2.gif

why wouldnt the guy kicking immedietly stomp down on the other guy's knee if he managed to step back like that.

i'm drunk i admit, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

where's my beer?

rubthebuddha
11-22-2001, 10:24 AM
one of these days, you're going to cause one of us to bust a nut we're laughing so hard.

honestly, i can't decide what the more prevalent question is, but i've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. where do you find this cr@p?
and
2. where does this school come up with this cr@p? the feeders look about as agile as the slower-moving cast members from night of the living dead.

-rtb

SevenStar
11-29-2001, 08:28 AM
1. people put crap on the net on a regular basis...sad thing is, they may not know it's crap

2. they are most likely making assumption about the style, however, these guys made some ****1ng awful assumptions.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Archangel
11-29-2001, 08:54 AM
No, This has to be a joke site; check out the defense against a Boxing hook. The guy blocks it and then puts him in a vulcan death grip. I love his statement as well:

" That way you can disable them temporarily and show your dominance without hurting them too seriously "

rubthebuddha
11-29-2001, 09:58 AM
that's why god invented leather and whips. either deal with the attacker by clocking his a$$ out or tying his arms together, or let him eat you for breakfast. you want to show your dominance? either be the one who doesn't need to fight in the first place, or be the one who walks away knowing that he can eat his ice cream safely because he has all his teeth left.

-rtb

straight blast
11-29-2001, 01:49 PM
That guy has never seen a f**king Thai roundkick in his life! And certainly the guy doing the "kick" never has either. I'd be so embarrassed to be photo'd like that. Believe me, you don't need the money at the cost of some self respect.
The sad thing about it is that the student in the picture probably thought those pictures were a good thing to put his name to. Another victim of the Mcdojo phenomenon that has hit the world. :(

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

Khun Kao Charuad
11-29-2001, 03:38 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

I needed a good laugh!

Khun Kao

Richie
11-29-2001, 04:03 PM
If that JACKA$$ fights a real Muay Thai boxer, he would get killed. I mean really killed; as in DEAD. These Thai guys rip open heavy bags with kicks. Can you imagine what they wold do to his head?

I'm really tired of that crap!

For traditional kung fu go to www.taishingpekkwar.com (http://www.taishingpekkwar.com)

rogue
11-29-2001, 05:24 PM
Fortunatly muay thai fighters of that calibre, like good karate and kung fu fighters, are few and far between.

Signed,

Archangel
11-29-2001, 05:33 PM
Every Thai boxer I know can throw a round kick that would shatter that guy into pieces. Even guys with 6 months experience would take that guys head off if he tried that defense.

ElPietro
11-29-2001, 09:06 PM
I hafta agree with Archangel...I have recently started Muay Thai and it's not the amount of techniques that are taught that makes the sport devestating but the repetetive full contact striking that makes it effective. You don't spend a lot of time learning new moves but you practice them to death. After six months at the place I train you will have a very devestating roundhouse. Heck after a couple months even...

Oh and just as a cool afterthought...Carlos Newton came into the place I train, to roll with some of our BJJ guys...he used to train here...