PDA

View Full Version : Chin Na in BJJ

MightyB
06-25-2014, 07:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXVRetywLWU#t=46
Watch the Video.

Dragonzbane76
06-26-2014, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't give this a chin na title I would say this goes to the roots of BJJ from the JJ side.

YouKnowWho
06-26-2014, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't give this a chin na title I would say this goes to the roots of BJJ from the JJ side.

Chin Na is not a style. It's just a general term for "joint locking".

-N-
06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm surprised to hear that the wrist lock wasn't popular previously.

That was one of the first things I went for the first time I rolled with a BJJ guy.

YouKnowWho
06-26-2014, 10:38 PM

That was one of the first things I went for the first time I rolled with a BJJ guy.

Yesterday when I threw bag with someone in the park, one BJJ guy came over and said that seem like a good training to develop grip strength. It seems to me that BJJ guys start to pay more attention on "grip strength" now.

Dragonzbane76
06-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Chin Na is not a style. It's just a general term for "joint locking". didn't say style. When inferred to "chin na" automatically its Chinese. I said for this guy it probably comes from his JJ roots in BJJ.

Faux Newbie
06-27-2014, 05:27 AM
didn't say style. When inferred to "chin na" automatically its Chinese.

Actually, no. To Chinese speakers, and a lot of kung fu people, it's just any seizing and locking. I know some people may read this differently, based on their introduction to it I would imagine, but it is merely a work for seizing and locking. It doesn't presume a source, it is a descriptor. Also, it's a lot quicker to type than the alternatives.:D

Dragonzbane76
06-28-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm just saying generally speaking. "most" people.

mawali
06-28-2014, 09:16 AM

To get to wrist locking, you have to grab, at least some semblance of it. Previous to that, you have to enter (adroitly) apply some level of feint, grab/redirect, trip, etc and depending on the others' strategy, adapt. Fresh on the ground locking is not a good idea unless the fellow is a legend in his own mind and he drop within 1 min. of the encounter. "Hitting' is good, some level of boxing (a western audience strategy) as you know! jus' sayin:cool:

Faux Newbie
06-29-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm just saying generally speaking. "most" people.

I dunno, do most english speaking kung fu folk read chin na that way? I just assumed otherwise, but that's just because of how I first learned it, it was a general term in most usages. Like, shuai jiao was definitely referencing chinese throws, but chin na was viewed as just seizing and locking, it didn't make a huge difference whose.

I assumed that was the norm.

And it's still quicker to type.:D

SwaiingDragon
07-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Shuai Jiao refers to an art form. "Shuai" is throwing, "Chi na" is lock and control.

YouKnowWho
07-02-2014, 02:42 PM
One day a Karate guy asked me what did I train, I told him that I trained Kung Fu. He said, "You train Chinese Karate (the empty hands way)".

Kellen Bassette
07-02-2014, 02:51 PM
A lot of Karate schools borrow the term chin na...makes since, since they borrowed the art from China anyway...