PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition suggestions for natural bodybuilding

Kymus
06-29-2014, 08:22 PM
For those that don't follow them: Alan Aragon, Peter Fitschen, and Eric Helms recently published a paper in JISSN (http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/20/abstract) that detailed the latest evidence in regards to nutrition suggestions for natural bodybuilding. Here's an infographic that details the study's conclusions:

http://rippedbody.jp/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Alan-Aragon-Eric-Helms.-Evidence-Based-Recommendations-for-natural-bodybuilding-contest-preparation-JISSN-Infographic.jpg

donjitsu2
07-01-2014, 06:52 AM
I mean it's definitely interesting.

I think we need keep in mind that bodybuilding is quite different from the martial arts and, thus, has different nutritional requirements. But I will conceded that a natural bodybuilders diet will share many similarities with that of martial artist or combat athletes.

bawang
07-01-2014, 08:39 AM
no such thing as natural bodybuilding.

David Jamieson
07-01-2014, 11:01 AM

using only bodyweight exercise. Or better yet, doing hard work like stone masonry, farming, fishing, etc. These will build your muscles up like a mofo. But I think this guy is referring to no drug use like HGH or Steroids etc.

donjitsu2
07-01-2014, 11:30 AM
using only bodyweight exercise. Or better yet, doing hard work like stone masonry, farming, fishing, etc. These will build your muscles up like a mofo. But I think this guy is referring to no drug use like HGH or Steroids etc.

bawang kinda has a point though: PED use is much more widespread than most are willing to admit - even in Natural Bodybuilding contests.

wenshu
07-01-2014, 03:15 PM
https://www.kevala.net/apps/site/files/K0030_front.jpg
https://www.kevala.net/apps/site/files/tahini_16oz.png

Kymus
07-01-2014, 04:22 PM

How many wombats you want to bet on this statement?

Kymus
07-01-2014, 04:23 PM
But I think this guy is referring to no drug use like HGH or Steroids etc.

^^ you should listen to him more often Bawang :P

bawang
07-04-2014, 02:29 PM
^^ you should listen to him more often Bawang :P

no such thing as drug free bodybuilding.

Kellen Bassette
07-04-2014, 05:18 PM

:rolleyes: Really dude?

bawang
07-05-2014, 09:19 PM
:rolleyes: Really dude?

yes, my son.

mickey
07-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Greetings,

bawang, if you are talking about competitive bodybuilding, I agree without doubt. I read in an interview with a natural competitive bodybuilder to define what natural is. He replied that it was anything you could buy over the counter.

I did post up a thread with the pdf of "Massive Muscle Pumping" in this forums some time ago that showed how bodybuilders would nourish back in the good. It was healthy because back then its physical culture roots were still strong. This even extends to sports; back then, a post game antioxidant flush was a quart of orange juice. And this was before we knew about antioxidants.

I wonder how much was paid to have creatine put in the model.

mickey

pazman
07-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Greetings,

bawang, if you are talking about competitive bodybuilding, I agree without doubt. I read in an interview with a natural competitive bodybuilder to define what natural is. He replied that it was anything you could buy over the counter.

I did post up a thread with the pdf of "Massive Muscle Pumping" in this forums some time ago that showed how bodybuilders would nourish back in the good. It was healthy because back then its physical culture roots were still strong. This even extends to sports; back then, a post game antioxidant flush was a quart of orange juice. And this was before we knew about antioxidants.

mickey

Are you suggesting creatine isn't useful?

mickey
07-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Greetings pazman.

I just did not like the special attention. They could have kept the supplement box bland and without examples like the others.

mickey

Kymus
07-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Again... how many wombats you wanna bet on this?

Kymus
07-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Greetings,

I'm familiar with Alan Aragon. I can assure you that nothing was paid to him or the other authors of the study. They put that in there because that's what the science reflects.

mickey
07-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Greetings Kymus,

Thank you for sharing that.

mickey

SteveLau
07-14-2014, 06:14 AM
The last time I changed my training program was a year ago. One of goal is to increase my body weight. That is to increase muscle mass. But it looks like that I have not reached that goal. My body weight is still 125 lbs. The target weight is 130 lbs., which will be my optimum. I do not doubt the info. you suggested here, but may be I should review the nutrion section of a book that I have read - The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarnegger.

KC
Hong Kong

sanjuro_ronin
07-14-2014, 06:33 AM
There is such a thing a "natural bodybuilding", BUT it may not be what many think it is.
Competitive natural BB is simply BB contest where they test for PED and because of that, supposedly, people don't take the drugs.
Of course they do, I mean, I have seen competitive NBB as big as pros and even some that are bigger than BB from the 70's and 80's.
Here is a good site:
nattyornot.com

Now, natural BB is/should be simply doing progressive resistance training with the goal of increasing your lean muscle mass and NOT using ANY other than food.
One can argue that supplements should not be part of natural bodybuilding.
That said, since the majority of supplements are a joke and a cash grab ( that is why competitors end up using PED) then what difference does it make?

Kymus
07-14-2014, 10:56 AM
FWIW, they also have to do a lie detector test. At least, that's how it was at the INBF California Natural Muscle Mayhem that Dr. Spencer Nadolsky competed in.

Kymus
07-14-2014, 11:12 AM
The last time I changed my training program was a year ago. One of goal is to increase my body weight. That is to increase muscle mass. But it looks like that I have not reached that goal. My body weight is still 125 lbs. The target weight is 130 lbs., which will be my optimum. I do not doubt the info. you suggested here, but may be I should review the nutrion section of a book that I have read - The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarnegger.

I've seen Dr. Brad Shoenfeld's book The Max Muscle Plan (http://www.amazon.com/M-A-X-Muscle-Plan-Brad-Schoenfeld/dp/1450423876) recommended many times. Along with Dr. Shoenfeld, Alan Aragon (http://www.alanaragonblog.com/) is another one that has really made a name for himself as a science heavyweight. His blog isn't updated often, but he sends out a monthly (subscription-based) research review (AARR) which is very useful.

My 2 cents.

donjitsu2
07-16-2014, 07:04 PM

Creatine is legit. You need to get your learn on.

mickey
07-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Greetings donjitsu2,

Legitimacy was never my point. It was that that particular category should have been kept general just like the others and not specifically mention creatine like it did. It made me wonder $$ was involved for that mention. That was clarified already.

mickey

donjitsu2
07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Greetings donjitsu2,

Legitimacy was never my point. It was that that particular category should have been kept general just like the others and not specifically mention creatine like it did. It made me wonder $$ was involved for that mention. That was clarified already.

mickey

The creatine part was general. Creatine Monohydrate is a general substance that many supplement companies sell.

wenshu
08-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Creatine Monohydrate is a general substance that many supplement companies sell.

Creatine is naturally occurring in meat. In fact it is considered a nootropic for vegetarians since they don't get it in their diet.

donjitsu2
08-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Creatine is naturally occurring in meat. In fact it is considered a nootropic for vegetarians since they don't get it in their diet.

That's true. But keep in mind the creatine found naturally in meats and the creatine we naturally produce is in the form of phosphocreatine (creatine phosphate; basically it has a phosphate group attached to it). Creatine monohydrate, on the other had, is a very common synthetic creatine that has a water molecule "attached". There are other types of creatine supplements (like Creatine ethyl ester) that are also widely available.