PDA

View Full Version : How the Mental Aspect of MA Helped Me in a Crisis This Afternoon

Budokan
11-21-2001, 04:37 AM
This afternoon our little 1.5 year old, Patrick, fell off the end of his bed and went completely limp. (He had been playing with his 3 year old brother instead of taking his nap...) He was crying when we found him, but I couldn't get any other reaction from him. No muscle control whatsoever, couldn't even lift his head, absolutely and terrifyingly limp. I thought his neck was broken. My wife was screaming.

After about 5 minutes of trying to bring him around I called 911 and the paramedics came. After about 20 minutes he started to respond a little, move his arms, etc. We took him to the doctor, she checked him out thoroughly and said he had probably "stunned" himself in such a way after falling off the bed; but no concussion, thank God.

Anyway, later when I had the time to think about it, I recalled how calm I was throughout the whole episode. My mind was clicking, making decisions, figuring out what I should and shouldn't do--but at no time did I panic. (My wife was close to absolutely freaking out). I don't know for sure, but I think my reaction is a direct result from all the martial arts training and the mental toughness we force ourselves to endure on a daily basis. We constantly prepare ourselves physically and mentally for anything that can happen--today that "one-in-a-thousand" event happened, and I was there for my little boy.

I suppose there is some basic life experience mixed in there as well as far as how we react to crises. This wasn't my first crisis, nor do I expect (yet I hope) it will be my last. But I can't help but wonder if my training and constant preparing to handle problems via martial arts didn't help in some way this afternoon.

Patrick is fine; he's sleeping now. I, myself, feel emotionally exhausted from the earlier strain and having to keep it together. I'm just glad I was there for him when he needed me.

K. Mark Hoover

diego
11-21-2001, 04:40 AM
I agree

Budo's correct

joedoe
11-21-2001, 04:55 AM
Hope your kid is OK

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

zen_celt
11-21-2001, 05:01 AM
Happy to hear he's OK.

I think you may be right about MA training us for a crisis situation (That's the whole point, though, yes?).
-ZC

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

Kung Lek
11-21-2001, 05:02 AM
yes, it is a good thing the child is fine.

martial arts does tend to calm the emotions and give one a more pragmatic eye towards problems.

in your situation, you dealt with it in an effective manner without panicing.
This is how one would use their martial arts in other situations as well.

mind over comes brute force by by remaining calm and clear while the rage of brute force will always misguide the actions and cloud the mind of the opponent. rage is a manifestation of fear as is panic.

anyway, good on you mate. Cheers to the little one.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Ryu
11-21-2001, 05:14 AM
Jesus Christ, Budokan :(

I'm happy to hear your boy's okay.
Thank God

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

jimmy23
11-21-2001, 05:30 AM
glad the kids ok, Ill bet that a terribly frightening experience!

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
Spinning Backfist

rogue
11-21-2001, 06:00 AM
Parents nightmare, glad he's OK and keep an eye on him.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

SevenStar
11-21-2001, 08:14 AM
Glad he's ok bud. Thumbs up to you for the way you handled the situation. I hope I can do the same should a similar situation arise - which hopefully it doesn't.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Sharky
11-21-2001, 08:17 AM
well done.

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

IronFist
11-21-2001, 08:19 AM
You handled it nicely. I'm impressed. :)

Iron

"Now why the **** would you censor "d.ork?"

Ironman PostLog: 1100 - 11/20/01

Nexus
11-21-2001, 08:20 AM
Great job Budokan! It would be silly to think that martial arts training did not play some affect on yoru ability to remain calm and handle the opponent seriously. Often said, the greatest opponent being ourselves and our inability to keep ourselves controlled!

Glad the kid is ok, get some rest, the all of you :)

- Nexus

neptunesfall
11-21-2001, 03:26 PM
i'm very glad to hear that your son is ok, budo.
the suffering injury or loss of a loved one is a terrible terrible thing.
i agree wholeheartedly with you about MA training helping to keep your mind in situations where everything can so easily lead to panic.
i'd like to relate my own story here, somewhat having to do with this topic.
2 years ago, at 1.30 am this morning, i was woken up from a deep sleep by my mother. she was standing in my bedroom doorway, crying and yelling my name.
after a second of complete disorientation [i sleep heavily] i asked her what was wrong. she told me that my father was breathing funny and she couldn't wake him up.
i ran to the bedroom.
as soon as i touched my father, i realized his skin was cold and clammy and that he was not breathing at all.
i calmly told my mother to get the phone and call 911.
i checked for a pulse and found none.
by the time she returned to the room with the phone, i had pulled him off of the bed and started cpr. i learned cpr in my freshman year of highschool, 3 days worth of health classes [1.5 hrs total] and was able to perfectly recall what to do.
clear the airway. tilt the head back. pinch his nose. breathe.
my mother was attempting to talk to the operator and was too panicked to make any sense to her, so she gave the phone to me. i told the operator our street address, that my father was not breathing or responding in any way, i was preforming cpr, please get here as quickly as possible.
i remember having the thought 'f*ck. my father is dying'.
i continued cpr until the ems and police arrived.
i have no idea how long this was.
the ems took over and my mother and i were asked to leave the room.
i quickly got dressed, grabbed my car keys and drove my mother and i to the hospital.
we were told of my fathers death at 3.00 am.
did my MA training save the day? no.
but, i was able to keep my head in a very very f*cked up situation, think straight and logically.
most of all, i was able to do what was needed, and do it to the best of my abilities.
in closing, i'd like to add.......today is thanksgiving here in the US. be thankful for what and who you have in your life. you often don't realize how sorely they will be missed once they are gone.

thanks for listening.

rich.

Kristoffer
11-21-2001, 05:41 PM
may he rest in peace...
stories like these makes me wanna train 'til my muscles break and pass out on the floor!

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

Sharky
11-21-2001, 08:00 PM
same.

sorry man. you did good man.

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Ryu
11-21-2001, 08:05 PM
Sorry for your loss.
:(
I sometimes wish I could do something for everyone...but of course that's unrealistic.

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

neptunesfall
11-21-2001, 11:24 PM
thanks guys. i appreciate it.
value and cherish what you have.

as a side note, my training is also what helped me through the months after my fathers death.
nothing quite like a good horsestance or being slammed or slamming someone into a mat to take your mind off things.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-21-2001, 11:29 PM
Glad to hear that your son is fine. Take care and may God bless you and your family.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Starchaser107
11-22-2001, 12:05 AM
You both did good under what could easily have been nerve racking fear driven situations.
Neptune , my condolences. happy thanksgiving guys.

"everything is everything"

joedoe
11-22-2001, 12:48 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi