PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: Fellow Aussies....

S.Teebas
11-22-2001, 10:52 AM
Martial arts tv show is on tonight on SBS @ 8:30, I have no idea if it's going to be cr@p or what??...but its on.

S.Teebas

straight blast
11-24-2001, 11:04 AM
It was nothing special...I was so unimpressed by the guys who were showing San Soo. They were all fat and tapping each other with sissy little slaps. Jimmy Woo would not have been impressed :(. But I did like the fight (UFC I think) between the Sumo & the Savate guy. Poor sumo never stood a chance.
I'm not really complaining. It was good to see ANYTHING on TV about MA. Keep posting if you see any more. :cool:

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

jon
11-24-2001, 11:15 AM
On the one hand i thought it had good insite into some of the Japanese styles and even gave me some pause in my views on Karate.
Yet it seemed to also blatently favour sport based martial arts. Going so far as to even try and state that older methods had been somehow outdated. The UFC was an interesting insite and i really have to say Royce Gracie came accross as very skilled.
The kung fu was the San Soo which i was actualy very impressed by and unlike the above reader really liked the lose and free way in which they moved. Then went to some Tai Chi which looked VERY different from most styles ive seen and looked nice. I didnt think the interview with the master was very good either.
Still always interesting to learn more about the world of martial arts.

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

qeySuS
11-24-2001, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> . But I did like the fight (UFC I think) between the Sumo & the Savate guy. Poor sumo never stood a chance [/quote]

If your talking about the fight i think you are, the savate guy is one of the biggest brutes i've ever seen, he fights so dirty and he's so tough. His name is Gerard Gordeau (not sure how it's spelled). You should have seen the size of his knuckles when he went into the semi finals (they were sooo swollen, looked completely round) and he still threw punches with them full blast.

His downfall has however always been that he's clueless on the ground.

Free thinkers are dangerous!

anerlich
11-25-2001, 03:53 AM
Yet it seemed to also blatently favour sport based martial arts.

Funny, all the guys on MMA.com were ripping into it because it had "too much traditional crap" in it.

That kick to the face Gordeau hit the Sumotori guy with while he was sitting against the side of the cage was WICKED. That would have hurt.

joedoe
11-25-2001, 05:26 AM
Saw the ad, forgot to set the VCR, missed it. Oh well :(

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Fish of Fury
11-25-2001, 06:36 AM
i just watched it on tape.
the bruce interviews where cool
"don't concentwate on the finger...baby!"

i didn't think too much of the san soo guys either.i don't mind that they're fat (who am i to criticise?!) but their method of training didn't do much for me (but it's hard to judge from the short clip i guess)

actually i thought the guy training the US cops, and the drills he had them doing looked pretty ordinary too, but again hard to tell.i guess if he got the job he must know something.
some of the stuff the french cops where doing was interesting eg. the blocking stick attacks.

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Pika
11-25-2001, 07:27 AM
Is that seriously how those guys train? Just bumping into each other and letting themselves be knocked down with fake punches?

I must be watching with an inexperienced eye.

MIKSANSOO
11-26-2001, 06:35 PM
tell me about this? what show was this?

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

joedoe
11-27-2001, 01:36 AM
I finally got to see it.

1) Those san soo guys were a joke

2) I cringed when they were teaching those French police guys some of the knife defence techniques. Great way to get yourself cut up.

On the whole the show was pretty unremarkable. The only bit I found interesting was what Benny the Jet has to say. And the Bruce Lee bits were pretty cool :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi