PDA

View Full Version : How large is your kwoon, dojo, dojang, gym?

Daedalus
11-22-2001, 11:48 PM
Right now we train in a building that is roughly 1000 sq ft (50 ft x 20 ft).

In the near future, we plan to build a school. I'm looking at plans for a 60 x 60 (3600 sq ft) metal building. That will give us nearly four times tha room that we have now and would allow us to expand our classes.

How large are the schools that you guys own, rent, lease, train in, etc?

SaekSan
11-23-2001, 12:16 AM
3600? Niiiiceeee...

Our east side location has a total floor space or 1400 sq ft, the training hall is 1000 sq ft.

Our west side location has a total floor space of 1500 sq ft, with the training hall being 900 sq ft.

:)

blaktiger
11-23-2001, 02:52 AM
Less than 1000 sq feet. Sifu's office is about the same size as my bathroom at home.

AND we don't have one of those "come watch us train in karate" windows out front. One glass door, covered with a bamboo blind.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"I'll be too busy lookin' good!"

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-23-2001, 04:30 AM
3 1/4''

my girlfriend says that's avarage.

where's my beer?

Water Dragon
11-23-2001, 05:02 AM
At least you have a school. I train either outside or in my teacher's basement. Depends on how bad he wants to make me suffer that day. Ya gotta love quarter mile line drills (each way) What!?!?!?, you mean we gotta go back and fourth 4 more times?!?!?!?

soy
11-23-2001, 05:04 AM
Geeze.. mine is probably one hall with 13x27, and another 13x19 room.

Not including the office, which takes up the last 8 feet of the second room. Suits our classes well, but we're gonna find a nicer place soon.

Xebsball
11-23-2001, 05:45 AM
I have no idea... but if we put more than 12 people it becomes imposible to train.

----------------------------
When you are surrounded by kids, enlighten them with Bruce Lee quotes.
They will love you and honor you for that.

firepalm
11-23-2001, 09:57 AM
Friend of mine is opening a wushu/kung fu school here in Vancouver next spring which will be just under 5000 sq ft. About 500 ft is dedicated to office space, reception & pro shop the rest is essentially training space. He says the center will also facilitate other programs like san shou, acrobatics, cardio programs, stunt training facilities, etc... :)

Wongsifu
11-23-2001, 02:11 PM
about 2200 sq feet but 30% of it is for offices and entrance/hallway changing rooms.

but its the largest in the country most other places are 1/2 the size

so its cool

This is because THC is not an alkaloid. It does not contain a nitrogen atom, therefore it is a terpenophenolic compound

Tainan Mantis
11-23-2001, 02:26 PM
Becuase we train outside.

Now if I could just fill it up.

qeySuS
11-23-2001, 02:54 PM
i have a question for you Americans, and since "Dojang" was mentioned above i'll jump right in with my TKD thoughts :)

When i went to USA and trained at Master Parks (our schools master) for a week or so, the thing that freaked me out (but didnt seem to bother the americans) was that there were NO SHOWERS! Is this something that is common in the "normal" schools, is this only included at big gyms and in the more luxorious schools? There was only a small room there for dressing/undressing then we went home in sweaty clothing and took a bath (ugh felt discusting putting on your clothes again when you were all sweaty).

And another thing, do people usually come to class in full uniform? Never seen this at home people just come and change, there (especially the kids, they all seemed to come dressed up) many people came in their uniform and left in it. I was pretty amazed :)

My dojang in Iceland is nice though, it's originally a judo place, so it's padded with mats and has a judo ring in the middle (marked), i'm just taking an educated guess (and that's propably way off because we use the metric system). But i'd guess around 1000-1500 Squarefeet sounds about right. It's over a gym so we share showers with them (and we get to use the weightroom), we have a sauna there too (unisex). So i dont know how big it is counting all that. But the training room is about 1000 Sq/ft i guess (not sure by a longshot though.

Free thinkers are dangerous!

EARTH DRAGON
11-23-2001, 08:04 PM
I rent 1200 sq ft which is locted in a plaza with an office and a bathroom that doubles as a changing room. I would like to have more room for my students but it all I can afford at the time and be able to keep tuition at a minium. So we just break up the class times when it gets too crowded and thst works out well.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

MonkeySlap Too
11-23-2001, 08:35 PM
The whole world is my kwoon.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

omegapoint
11-24-2001, 12:27 AM
Main Dojo=1000 square feet

Secondary Dojo=4000 square feet

Tertiary Dojo (my bro's garage)=100 square feet.

They are all the perfect size for a training area!

Tongue_of_Colibob
11-24-2001, 06:22 AM
about 20by20....my sifu's garage.

Poison'dDragon
11-24-2001, 08:08 AM
Fencing : 20x80

TKD : 1000sq

Kungfu : Sifu's garage again (but nicely converted)

If all the world were just , there woulde be noe need for valour" - Shakespear

HopGar
11-24-2001, 11:16 PM
its smallish, maybe out the sixe of the two biggest rooms in my house. His office is the size of my bedroom and so is the room for his clinic (hes a traditional Chinese doctor). We need a new building, but not enough people to pay enough to buy a new building of some kind.

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

NorthernMantis
11-24-2001, 11:30 PM
Hey PD isn't it funny that its always a garge?Or some little place? :D

The world is a big kwoon to me.Just have to know where it is apropriate place to practice and when.

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

SifuAbel
11-25-2001, 02:35 AM
Currently, 2000 sq ft floor and additional 800 sq ft for changing and office. If some acreage is in my future, my dream is for something over 15,000 sqft. Something like that can accomodate many people and lots of different equipment. Full size ring, weight section, large main floor, matted area, climbing walls; I'm salivating just thinking of it.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

rubthebuddha
11-25-2001, 07:44 AM
between 3000-5000 sq. feet on the main floor (all matted), plus two 10x10 private/intro rooms (one matted), a viewing area, front lobby, plus two offices up front off the lobby. it's a new spot we just got in september, as our old school was getting too small. we had added the bottom floor of the building next door (another thousand or so sq. ft), but even with the two spots, we were running out of room.

i love the new space. it's big, open, with office space for those who need it, intro/private training rooms for new students, viewing rooms for the parentals and potentials, and a nice, open lobby for my sije to work her magic.

-rtb

JWTAYLOR
11-25-2001, 06:35 PM
About 800 square feet. Very tight. No showers. One bathroom, tiny weight area, teeny tiny office.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

nightair
11-25-2001, 06:37 PM
My dojo is the world...

---------------------------"uh oh, what is going to happen next?"