PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Yoga

GeneChing
10-22-2014, 08:46 AM
This is what I'm talking about (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48576-Bollywood-Kung-Fu!!)! But will it be as uber awesome as Kung Fu vs. Yoga (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44750-Kung-Fu-vs-Yoga)? (actually that thread isn't about the incredible 1979 film, but we should hijack it so it is so, especially in light of this announcement...I guess Yao Sing sort of did that back in 2007 already).

Indian, Chinese film firms to jointly produce "Kungfu Yoga" (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/indian-chinese-film-firms-to-jointly-produce-kungfu-yoga/articleshow/44910203.cms)
By PTI | 22 Oct, 2014, 07.10PM

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-44910214,width-310,resizemode-4/indian-chinese-film-firms-to-jointly-produce-kungfu-yoga.jpg
BEIJING: Prominent film production firms of India and China today announced their first joint venture to make a new co-production called "Kungfu Yoga" which could feature top Hollywood stars like Jackie Chan.

This is the first project to be initiated after both Governments signed an MOU on Film Co-Production in New Delhi during President Xi Jinping's visit to India last month.

The agreement between Indian firm Viacom-18 and Chinese firms Taihe and Shine World was inked on the sidelines of the Indian film festival in Xi'an, capital of north-west China's Shaanxi province, which began yesterday as part of 'Glimpses of India' festival.

"Kungfu Yoga", sounding similar to "Kungfu Panda" was expected to portray Indian and Chinese cultural content considering their strengths in Kungfu in China and Yoga in India.

Jackie China is expected to feature in the movie. It will be directed by the Hong Kong based Stanley Tong, who directed the "Stone Age Warriors".

The content, theme and the budget of the new film will be announced later, Trade Councillor of the Indian Embassy, Namgya Khampa, Counsellor told PTI here.

During Xi's visit, the agreement was signed between Ministry of Information and Broadcastings and China's State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and TV.

The agreement focuses on joint productions with joint investments and the film cooperation between the two countries.

It also confers the status of local productions in both the countries.

The agreement could help Bollywood movies to get access to the Chinese market as currently very few Indian films are shown in the theatres due to stipulation that only 34 foreign movies are allowed to be shown in China every year. Most of the quota is grabbed by Hollywood movies.

The agreement was signed on the sidelines of Xi'an film festival which is being organised all over China as part of 'Glimpses of India' festival to mark the India-China Year of Friendly Exchanges.

The Indian Film Festival is anchored in the 1st Xi'an Silk Road International Film Festival has Indian entries as well.

Apart from Xi'an, the Film Festival has been held in Beijing and Guangzhou.

It will travel to Hangzhou, Qingdao and Hong Kong in the next few months.

In Xi'an, the opening movie was Queen. Other movies being screened here include Jodha Akbar, Tare Zameen Par, Dil Chahta Hai, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and Bhaag Milkha Bhaag.

GeneChing
11-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Viacom18 Backs India-China Co-Production Starring Jackie Chan (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom18-backs-india-china-production-750675)
5:48 AM PST 11/20/2014 by Nyay Bhushan

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/news_portrait/2013/04/jackie_chan_tiff.jpg
Getty Images
Jackie Chan

The Viacom joint venture in India has signed a letter of intent for action comedy 'Kung-Fu Yoga'

Viacom18 Motion Pictures India is partnering with China's Taihe Entertainment Corp. and Shinework Media on Jackie Chan project Kung-Fu Yoga. Described as an action comedy, the film will star Chan and reunite him with director Stanley Tong following their earlier projects Rumble in the Bronx, Police Story and The Myth.

According to a statement from Mumbai-based Viacom18, an Indian joint venture of entertainment conglomerate Viacom, the project is considered the first under a recently signed India-China co-production treaty.

The studio said it has signed a letter of intent for the film "which gives us three months to discuss and finalize the details on the main agreement (including the casting of Indian actors)."

“Considering the government's latest step to invite Chinese investments and collaborate with a civilization as old and rich as our own, the alliance stands to offer a unique opportunity to co-create and develop strong cultural experiences and exchange of talent," said Viacom18 Motion Pictures COO Ajit Andhare.

With a variety of Chinese TV productions to its credit, Taihe's movie projects include Call for Love and Crossed Lines. Last year, Paris-based Wild Bunch and Taihe joined forces to create a Beijing-based sales and distribution company. The venture's focus includes developing Chinese talent and international sales rights and distribution for Chinese films, while combing the Wild Bunch catalog for possible remakes in China.

Read more Jackie Chan to Visit India for New Delhi’s China Film Festival

Beijing-based cultural promoter Shinework Media, which produces various programs for Chinese television, has pacted with Mike Medavoy's Phoenix Pictures for a multi-film co-production deal in 2010.

An equal joint venture between Viacom and leading Indian broadcasting and media group Network18, Viacom18's interests include television (including MTV India and VH1 India), while its film arm has produced major releases such as recent sports biopic Mary Kom.

I'm reminded of the India section of the Myth (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41332-Jackie-Chan-s-The-Myth), which to my mind was the best part of that film. The flypaper fight scene was absolutely brilliant - pure Jackie magic!

GeneChing
03-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Will return to India to film 'Kungfu Yoga': Jackie Chan (http://ibnlive.in.com/news/will-return-to-india-to-film-kungfu-yoga-jackie-chan/536470-8-67.html)
IANS@ibnlivemovies

New Delhi: Asian cinematic icon Jackie Chan, whose latest actioner 'Dragon Blade' hits Indian screens on Friday, says he may come down to the country to shoot his new film 'Kungfu Yoga', the first project under a India-China co-production agreement signed during President Xi Jinping's visit here last September.

When Chan last visited India in 2013, he spoke to this IANS correspondent about the need for encouraging movie collaborations and cultural exchange between the two countries.

Is he pioneering something in that direction?

http://static.ibnlive.in.com/ibnlive/pix/sitepix/03_2015/jackie-chan-mar27.jpg
Asian cinematic icon Jackie Chan says he may come down to the country to shoot his new film 'Kungfu Yoga'.

"Yes, I am planning to start a new movie called 'Kungfu Yoga'. That means I will be returning to film in India. Perhaps next time you will interview me on a set," Chan, who will turn 61 next month, told IANS in an email interview from Beijing.

The star of movies like 'Police Story', 'Rush Hour' and 'The Myth', Chan will be seen in a prominent role in 'Kungfu Yoga'.

From the film's title, one believes it will be a perfect amalgamation of Chinese martial art Kungfu, and the art of Yoga, which originated in ancient India and now thrives around the world.

Chan's earlier India collaboration has been with Bollywood beauty Mallika Sherawat in his 2005 film 'The Myth'. But will his association with the Indian entertainment industry include a Bollywood film?

"I don't think about it in terms of doing a Bollywood movie, or even a Hollywood movie. The most important thing is the script. But, yes, I'm planning the new movie called 'Kungfu Yoga'. Hopefully, we will start filming in the autumn," he added.

Meanwhile, the actor, who has regaled legions of his fans across the globe with his comedic and action avatars, hopes his American-Chinese collaboration 'Dragon Blade', directed by Daniel Lee, appeals to Indian audiences with its story.

"The myth about ancient Romans lost in China is absolutely intriguing...Also, I designed the fight sequences myself and I think the audiences will love them. Last of all, the songs and music in the movie are something I'm very proud of," he said.

In 'Dragon Blade', releasing here in English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu, Chan has worked with Hollywood actors John Cusack and Adrian Brody. The experience, he says, was "great".

"I enjoyed working with them and I look forward to working with more Hollywood stars in China. For many years, I acted in Hollywood films. It's exciting now that Hollywood stars are acting in Chinese films," said the actor, who defies age with his enthusiasm, passion and ability to perform daredevilry without a thought.

What keeps him going?

"Enjoy every moment of your life. Accept your own self. Be young at heart. I still go to the gym every day and run for an hour. But I never go on a diet. I believe in being 'Happy go Lucky'! That's my secret," said the action star, who worked with more than 800 extras, over 350 crew members and hundreds of horses for "Dragon Blade".

As a sexagenarian, is he choosing his roles more carefully?

"Of course, I am now 61. I would like audiences to think of me as a dramatic actor who happens to also do action. In my recent films, I've been trying to broaden my roles, including in 'Dragon Blade'."

I'm going to add the Bollywood-Kung-Fu!! (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48576-Bollywood-Kung-Fu!!) thread here because if this truly comes to pass, that one will become prophesy. :cool:

GeneChing
04-06-2015, 10:43 AM
This is really where Jackie needs to go. His recent films have more Bollywood sensibilities than Hollywood.

Jackie Chan Planning to Shoot India-China Co-Production 'Kung-Fu Yoga' (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jackie-chan-planning-shoot-india-785240)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/675x380/2011/02/102917352_a_l.jpg
Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images

by Nyay Bhushan
3/30/2015 1:34am PDT

Jackie Chan has revealed he could be heading to India later this year to shoot action comedy Kung-Fu Yoga.

The India-China co-production was first announced in 2014 as a partnership between Viacom18 Motion Pictures India and China's Taihe Entertainment Corp. and Shinework Media, and is slated to reunite Chan with director Stanley Tong following their earlier projects Rumble in the Bronx, Police Story and The Myth.

In an interview with The Hindustan Times newspaper, Chan said, "I am planning to start a new movie called Kung Fu Yoga. So, I will be returning to film it in India. Hopefully, we will start filming in autumn."

Kung-Fu Yoga is considered the first project to emerge from the India-China co-production treaty which was signed last September.

Chan has visited India before and has previously worked with Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat, who appeared in his 2005 film The Myth. His last visit in 2013 saw him launching a Chinese film festival in New Delhi which opened with Chan's Chinese Zodiac.

Chan's latest actioner Dragon Blade — co-starring John Cusack, Adrien Brody and Lin Peng — released across India over the weekend.

GeneChing
05-13-2015, 04:14 PM
If Aamir Khan comes on board, this will be huge. I loved his performance in Dhoom 3.

Three Sino-Indian film ventures to be announced during PM’s visit (http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/three-sino-indian-film-ventures-to-be-announced-during-pm-s-visit/article1-1346343.aspx)
Sutirtho Patranobis, Hindustan Times, Beijing| Updated: May 12, 2015 14:39 IST

China, the second largest movie market after the US, and India, which makes the highest number of movies in the world, are set for a tentative tango.

Coinciding with the visit of PM Narendra Modi later this week, China will announce the launch of three films with Sino-Indian themes with top bracket actors, directors and studio houses from both countries.

The announcement slated for May 14 — the day Modi lands in Xian — will also coincide with the appearance of actor Aamir Khan in Beijing to promote his film PK.

Hong Kong superstar Jackie Chan will join Khan to talk about the China-India project — Gong Fu Yu Jia or Kung Fu Yoga — he is currently working on.

It is rare for China’s State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT) to make a public announcement about projects. But in an unusually detailed statement, it said three films, “all stories of China-India friendly ties” will be launched.

“...see the launch of three films, all stories of China-India friendly ties, namely Da Tang Xuan Zang (temporary English title: Monk Xuanzang), Gong Fu Yu Jia (temporary English title: Kung Fu Yoga), and Yin Jiong Da Nao Tian Zhu (temporary English title: Lost in India)”.

The statement said at the launch, SAPPRFT officials will talk about importing and exporting films between the countries.

These moves follow the signing of the agreement on audiovisual co-production between the ministry of information and broadcasting and SAPPFRT during President Xi Jinping’s India visit.

Latest Chinese movies like Dragon Blade, The Grandmasters, Wolf Totem, and The Nightingale have been or are likely to be distributed in India soon.

GeneChing
05-18-2015, 12:52 PM
I think this author is on to something.

How kung fu and Modi might change the future of Bollywood in China (http://qz.com/405702/the-future-of-bollywood-in-china-is-about-to-change-after-modis-visit/)

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/chindia.jpg?w=1600
It is Bollywood's turn now.(AP Photo/Greg Baker)
Written by Shelly Walia @shellywalia
11 hours ago

Bollywood has made its presence felt in several countries around the world—from Pakistan to Kenya to Canada. But the globetrotting and much-loved film industry has failed to make any meaningful impact next door.

The Chinese film industry is the second largest in the world, and till recently, India—whose film industry is worth less than half of China’s—had failed to make any inroads into that $4.8 billion market.

But after decades of separation, the film industries of the two countries seem poised to begin a journey of collaboration.

In the past eight months, the two Asian giants have committed to jointly produce three films.

There’s Kung Fu Yoga, reportedly starring martial art hero Jackie Chan and Bollywood actor Aamir Khan; Da Nao Tian Zhu (Lost in India), directed by Chinese actor Wang Baoqiang; and Da Tang Xuan Zang (Monk Xuanzang), a film about a monk who travelled to India to study Buddhism in the sixth century.

This filmy union of the two Asian countries was initiated in September 2014, when a co-production agreement between India’s information and broadcasting ministry and China’s state administration of press, publication, radio, film and television—in charge of the country’s media industry—was signed during Chinese president Xi Jinping’s state visit to India.

In October, Kung Fu Yoga, a project from India’s Viacom18 Motion Pictures and China’s Taihe Entertainment Corporation and Shinework Media, was sealed.

And as prime minister Narendra Modi visited China last week, the Chinese Film Corporation and India’s Eros International announced the co-production of Monk Xuanzang.
Bollywood in China

As things stand, Bollywood barely has a presence in China’s massive entertainment ecosystem. Instead, Hollywood—comprising 90% of all foreign films released in China—dominates its film market.

In China, the government regulates the film industry, allowing only 34 foreign films to be released in theatres every year. These account for 15% of China’s film market, with only about 1.5% ending up to be non-Hollywood releases.

India can screen up to five films, though the country has failed to provide as many films to China in the last few years. That’s because the regulator has strict criteria of good content, technology and culture for selection of films.

So, what will joint productions change?

For one, a joint production would be given a local production status in both countries, thus bypassing the permission required by a foreign film to release in China. “An Indian co-production will hopefully mean better distribution opportunities, too,” Tula Goenka, filmmaker and professor at Syracuse University, told Quartz.

Also, this cultural exchange could eventually open up lucrative commercial opportunities between two of the largest film markets in the world.

“Hollywood’s hegemony is not going to disappear any time soon, but Indian presence in what is likely to become the world’s biggest box-office market will increase, as communication between the two Asian giants grows,” Daya Thussu, professor of international communication and co-director of India Media Centre at University of Westminster, told Quartz.

“But the key is to first learn about each other’s culture and history,” Thussu added. “There is extraordinary levels of mutual ignorance, despite thousands of years of relationship.”
Buddhism to kung fu

This deep cultural chasm has meant that Indian filmmakers have typically either ridiculed the Chinese, or portrayed them as rivals. Bollywood productions, for instance, are replete with crass, stereotypical depictions of the Chinese.

And that’s probably why the themes of the films so far have to do with yoga, kung fu and Buddhism.

“It is understandable that the thought is to treat historical religious subjects, but (it is) quite unambitious. However, kung fu has promise perhaps wedding to big budget superhero formulas,” Richard Allen, professor and chair of cinema studies at New York University, told Quartz.

“I would have thought the historical in general might be a bet, especially one that treated the relations between the countries,” Allen added.

But here’s the flip side of this government-backed cinematic collaboration.

“I doubt that there would ever be a film about things that really matter to both countries—Tibet or the northeastern border,” Syracuse University’s Goenka said.

GeneChing
05-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Only those few members here that know Bollywood know how huge this is. Jackie and Aamir. Wow.

‘Kung Fu Yoga’ Stars Jackie Chan, Aamir Khan; Bollywood’s ‘PK’ Premieres In China (http://en.yibada.com/articles/33177/20150516/kung-fu-yoga-stars-jackie-chan-aamir-khan-bollywood-s.htm)
Conviron Altatis | May 16, 2015 04:59 AM EDT

http://data.en.yibada.com/data/images/full/13563/kung-fu-yoga-star-jackie-chan.jpg?w=685
"Kung Fu Yoga" star Jackie Chan (Photo : Reuters)

Chinese film regulators confirmed the Chinese-Indian film "Kung Fu Yoga" starring "Kung Fu Panda" star Jackie Chan and "PK" star Aamir Khan during the recent visit of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to China.

"Kung Fu Yoga" will be one of the three upcoming collaborative films that will combine Chinese martial arts and Indian culture. It will feature one of the most prominent Chinese martial arts techniques while showcasing how Indians maintain their physical and cultural well-being.

The three films announced are commissioned under an agreement made between China and India, which was signed when Chinese President Xi Jinping visited India in 2014, according to Daily News And Analysis.

Joining Chan and Khan in the "Kung Fu Yoga" cast are Katrina Kaif and Riya Sen. The film will be helmed by "The Myth" director Stanley Tong.

Aside from "Kung Fu Yoga," the second film executive produced by Wong Kar Wai will be about the life of a noted Buddhist monk Xuan Zang and his journey to India to study Buddhism while the third film titled "Da Nao Tian Zhu" will be directed by Chinese star Wang Baoqiang.

Meanwhile, the Bollywood film "PK" directed by Rajkumar Hirani starring Khan premiered in China on May 15, Friday, according to The Indian Express.

Co-written by Hirani and Abhijat Joshi, "PK" also stars Anushka Sharma, Sanjay Dutt, Boman Irani, Saurabh Shukla, Sushant Singh Rajput, Parikshat Sahni, Amardeep Jha, Reema Debnath, Dheerendra Dwivedi, Sai Gundewar, Ram P. Sethi and Rukhsar, among others.

The 2009 film "3 Idiots" directed by Hirani starring Khan was a success in China.

GeneChing
05-21-2015, 10:01 AM
So much for that little pipe dream :(

Aamir Khan confirms he's not starring in 'Kung Fu Yoga' with Jackie Chan (http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/aamir-khan-confirms-hes-not-starring-in-kung-fu-yoga-with-jackie-chan-2256024.html)
May 21, 2015 13:10 IST

Mumbai: Superstar Aamir Khan has made it clear that he is not doing a film with Chinese action star Jackie Chan because he will be shooting for his most talked about movie "Dangal".

It has been reported that the 50-year-old actor is collaborating with Chan on an Indo-Chinese production. The project, titled "Kung Fu Yoga", will highlight USPs of the two nations.

http://s3.firstpost.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/aamirkhana-afp.jpg
Aamir Khan. AFP

"Jackie is planning that film with director Stanley Tong, who has made number of Jackie's films. It is not possible for me to do it (film). I would have loved to do it. They are shooting in September-October and that time I will be busy with 'Dangal'. I can start any film in August-September next year," Aamir said in an interview here.

Apparently, this project is part of the three-film agreement signed between the two countries during Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to India last year. Looking at the growing popularity of Bollywood films in China, the agreement is meant to help both the countries.

Aamir, who is a big fan of Chan, is all praise for the actor.

"I have been a big fan of him. I had seen his film 'Police Story' in back-to-back shows in a theatre. He is not an action hero alone... his comic timing is superb. I told him I am big fan of him. I have seen lot of his films. I told him how popular he is in India. He was very happy to know about it," Aamir said.

Chan has not watched Aamir's latest film "PK", but he had seen "3 Idiots".

"I did not ask him if he has seen my films. But the way he met me, I felt he has seen my films. He has seen '3 Idiots'. He is a nice...warm guy," Aamir said.

GeneChing
06-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Why Aamir Wore Chinese Silk at ‘PK’ Success Bash? (http://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainmenttags/aamir-khan/why-aamir-wore-chinese-silk-pk-success-bash)
June 11, 2015 BW-Insider

http://www.pinkvilla.com/files/imagecache/ContentPreview/CHM62ARVIAAqdA0.jpg

Aamir Khan celebrated the success of PK internationally by making an appearance in Chinese attire. Interestingly the Chinese silk long shirt was gifted to AK by none other than Jackie Chan!

The actor said, "This has been sent by Jackie Chan. Since it reached before this event, I decided to wear it.'' Chan had sent his designer to take Aamir's measurement when the actor was in China for the release of ‘PK’ there.

Note: Aamir is quite short.

GeneChing
06-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Katrina Kaif-Jackie Chan to star in 'Kung Fu Yoga'Sanyukta Iyer,Mumbai Mirror | Jun 23, 2015, 12.00 AM IST (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Katrina-Kaif-Jackie-Chan-to-star-in-Kung-Fu-Yoga/articleshow/47780261.cms)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/5538650.cms
Katrina Kaif-Jackie Chan to star in 'Kung Fu Yoga'
The actress will be seen alongside the Chinese martial arts superstar in her international film.

Katrina Kaif is going places. The actress has signed her first international film, co-starring Jackie Chan. The film is titled Kung Fu Yoga. The action-adventure will be directed by Hong Kong based filmmaker Stanley Tong. He had earlier helmed the Jackie Chan classic, Rumble in the Bronx. Katrina was born in Hong Kong.

The 31-year-old actress will play an Indian professor at a Chinese university. Chan plays a Chinese archaeologist who enlists her help to unearth treasures from the Magadha era.

The two set out on a treasure hunt, which begins in the dynasty of King Bimbisara. He ruled the Magadh empire from around 542 BC to 492 BC. He was known for his cultural achievements and was a great friend and protector of Gautam Buddha. "There are a lot of stunts in the film which is not surprising since it features Jackie Chan, a martial arts expert. What is interesting is that Katrina too will get to do many action scenes," says a source close to the development, pointing out that she did a lot of action in Ek Tha Tiger too.

The professor and the archaeologist will travel back in time and interact with the royals. "They will also fight off demons from their past," adds the source.

In May 2015, the Chinese superstar had told a local newspaper that he is keen to co-produce and act in Indo-Chinese collab orations. His statement appeared after the two countries inked an agree ment for co-productions in 2014 when Chinese President Xi Jinping visited India. The exchange was further strengthened when Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a trip to China.

"Katrina has performed a lot of action in Ek Tha Tiger and will be seen kicking and punching in this film too," reveals the source.

Katrina has been busy with Abhishek Kapoor's Fitoor, an Indianised adaptation of Charles ****ens' novel, The Great Expectations. The film will be a 2016 Valentine's Day release.There's also Anurag Basu's Jagga Jasoos, which features her steady date, Ranbir Kapoor. Jackie's last release was Dragon Blade.

This is beginning to sound like it could be an installment of Jackie's Armor of God (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?53875-Chinese-Zodiac-Armour-of-God-3) franchise or maybe a sequel to The Myth (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=658).

GeneChing
06-24-2015, 08:09 AM
Kung Fu Yoga: Katrina yet to decide on starring in Jackie Chan's film (http://www.bollywoodmantra.com/news/kung-fu-yoga-katrina-yet-to-decide-on-starring-in-jackie-chans-film/18216/)
Posted By: Sheela Das On Tuesday, 23rd June 2015,11:06

http://i.bollywoodmantra.com/news/2015/06/23/katrina-jackie-chan.jpg

Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif has been reportedly cast for the upcoming adventure film ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ featuring Chinese origin Hollywood action star Jackie Chan, but representatives of the actress said nothing is confirmed yet.

The 31-year-old actress of Indo-British origin will be seen in the role of an Indian professor at a Chinese university, while ‘Rush Hour’ actor Chan will play the role of a Chinese archaeologist who enlists her help to unearth treasures from the Magadh era (544-491 BCE) when king Bimbisara was the ruler of the Mauryan empire.

Katrina, who was seen doing action stunts in the 2012 film ‘Ek Tha Tiger’, will also be a part of many action scenes in the film, according to a report in a daily. Katrina and Chan will also travel back in time and interact with deceased royals in their fight against demons from the past, the report added.

Meanwhile, Katrina who is also doing Bollywood films ‘Fitoor’ and ‘Jagga Jasoos’ is yet to confirm about the film to be directed by Stanley Tong. "Katrina is yet to take a decision on the film. Nothing is confirmed as of yet," her spokesperson said in a statement.

Earlier reports stated that Aamir Khan would star in the film, but the ‘PK’ actor said he is concentrating on his sports based film ‘Dangal’ and has no time for another project.

‘Kung Fu Yoga’ is an Indo-Chinese co-production which forms a part of the agreement between the governments of both the countries.

Guess Who Replaced Aamir Khan In Jackie Chan’s Kung Fu Yoga? (http://businessofcinema.com/bollywood_news/guess-who-replaced-aamir-khan-in-jackie-chans-kung-fu-yoga/214221)
By BusinessofCinema News Network on June 24, 2015

http://businessofcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/aamir-jackie.jpg

Everyone is extremely excited for upcoming action film Kung Fu Yoga, which stars International sensation Jackie Chan. Earlier reports stated that Bollywood’s Mr. Perfectionist Aamir Khan was to star opposite Jackie Chan in the film but later it was revealed that the actor turned down the film as the dates were clashing with his much awaited film Dangal.

But Aamir Khan didn’t just leave like that without providing a replacement for his role in the film. Yes, apparently, the actor passed on the role in the film to much younger and supple star Tiger Shroff! Aamir was in China and he recommended Heropanti star Tiger’s name to the makers of Kung Fu Yoga. In a recent interview, Tiger Shroff confirmed the reports by saying, “They have seen a lot of my footage and Aamir sir was very kind to put in a word for me. He was in China and had referred my name to the makers. That’s how it happened. They started my videos and were quite impressed with my agility and my skills.”

Tiger Shroff is known for his flexible moves and gymnastic skills. The star is very much excited to share the big screen with his childhood idol Jackie Chan in the film. Matter of fact, the actor has also met with the makers of the action film. The makers of the film flew down to India from China to talk to Tiger Shroff about the film and sort out the dates for the shooting.

Apparently, Tiger already has a huge line up of films that he has committed to. Sajid Nadiawala’s Baaghi and Remo D’Souza’s Flying Jet are two of the films from the list. If all goes well and dates fit Tiger’s schedule, will surely see the star alongside Jackie Chan in Kung Fu Yoga, which reportedly also stars Katrina Kaif.

This is surely just noise if you do't follow Bollywood. But if you do, this shuffle of stars is very amusing.

GeneChing
07-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Tiger Shroff: Approached for Jackie Chan's 'Kungfu Yoga' (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Tiger-Shroff-Approached-for-Jackie-Chans-Kungfu-Yoga/articleshow/47911978.cms)
IANS | Jul 2, 2015, 05.26 PM IST

http://m.timesofindia.com/thumb.cms?msid=47912005&width=200&resizemode=4
Tiger Shroff
Actor Tiger Shroff confirms he has been approached to appear in martial arts movie star Jackie Chan's upcoming action-adventure film 'Kung Fu Yoga', but he hasn't taken a call on it yet.

"Yes, I have been approached for a role in Kung Fu Yoga. The talks are on but I haven't signed the film yet," Tiger Shroff said at an event in Mumbai on Wednesday.

Calling Jackie Chan as his inspiration, Tiger says that if the film happens it will be a dream come true for him.

READ: Tiger Shroff starts shooting for 'Baaghi'

Before Tiger, the film was offered to superstar Aamir Khan when he was in China but due to his commitment for Dangal, he had to leave the project.

Directed by Stanley Tong, Kung Fu Yoga will begin being shot in September this year.

As of now, Tiger is busy doing Baaghi: A Rebel For Love.

I don't know Tiger. I'm still hoping for Katrina. She was smoking hot in Dhoom 3 and Ek Tha Tiger.

GeneChing
08-20-2015, 08:52 AM
http://www.thenational.ae/storyimage/AB/20150820/ARTICLE/150829974/AR/0/&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-150829974.jpg

Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan will shoot his newest film Kung Fu Yoga in Dubai. Phil McCarten / Reuters
Jackie Chan’s latest film Kung Fu Yoga to shoot in Dubai (http://www.thenational.ae/arts-lifestyle/film/jackie-chans-latest-film-kung-fu-yoga-to-shoot-in-dubai)
Chris Newbould
August 20, 2015 Updated: August 20, 2015 01:48 PM

Jackie Chan is heading to Dubai in September to shoot his latest movie Kung Fu Yoga, which will also feature Bollyood star Katrina Kaif.

The film was originally expected to shoot entirely in India, and although some scenes will still be shot there, sources say a crew is already on the ground in Dubai while the industry’s go-to production website, IMDB, has already begun to list Dubai line crew. The film is the first part of a three-movie agreement signed by the Indian and Chinese governments during a visit by the Chinese president Xi Xinpeng to India last year.

The Indian producers, Viacom 18, have a long-standing relationship with the UAE – including launching the TV stations Colors in 2012. With Kaif signed on, Aamir Khan was rumoured to be joining the Chinese/Indian co-production, but scheduling conflicts with his next Bollwood film prevented it.

As he told India’s First Post in May: “Jackie is planning that film with director Stanley Tong, who has made number of Jackie’s films. It is not possible for me to do it. I would have loved to do it. They are shooting in September-October and that time I will be busy with Dangal. I can’t start any film in August-September.”

With a sudden and heavy production schedule this autumn facing the UAE’s film industry, sources report competition for crew between this film and the Netflix-funded, Brad Pitt-starring, War Machine. That production is being brought to the capital by twofour54, with shooting slated for October.

Last week in Dubai, Miranda Davidson Studios conducted three days of casting for extras for Star Trek: Beyond, which is due to start shooting in the emirate in September. Sources say the Bollywood film Dhishoom, also set to film in the UAE at around the same time, will be bringing most of its own crew and cast, which is probably fortunate considering the sheer amount of films that appear to be coming into the UAE right now.

The capital has seen a dramatic jump in international recognition since the spring release of Furious 7, which was shot here in 2014 along with Star Wars: The Force Awakens, due in theatres December 18.

Katrina will be great in this. I really like her work, at least, what little I've seen of it.

GeneChing
08-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Katrina Kaif to 'Kung Fu Yoga' with Jackie Chan in Dubai (http://www.emirates247.com/entertainment/films-music/katrina-kaif-to-kung-fu-yoga-with-jackie-chan-in-dubai-2015-08-24-1.601142)
Film to be shot in emirate in September
By Bindu Rai
Published Monday, August 24, 2015

http://cdn-wac.emirates247.com/polopoly_fs/1.601151.1440385516!/image/3441601831.jpg

If news filtering down is to believed, the Trekkies will have their work cut out for them as the Kung Fu masters head to Dubai to steal their spotlight.

Hollywood icon and China's legendary star Jackie Chan is expected to show off some of his signature moves as he shoots for his upcoming movie, 'Kung Fu Yoga' in the emirate, as early as next month.

After starring with Mallika Sherawat (remember her) in 2008's 'The Myth', the actor has now moved on up the Bollywood later to rope in A-lister Katrina Kaif to star opposite him.

The Indo-China production is slated to shoot the bulk of its scenes in India, as part of a three film joint venture between the two entertainment industries.

Initially, Bollywood's Aamir Khan was also slated to a part of this project, but he was quoted as saying that the filming dates were clashing with his upcoming, 'Dangal'.

In an interview with First Post, the actor stated: "It is not possible for me to do it. I would have loved to do it. They are shooting in September-October and at that time I will be busy with Dangal. I can’t start any film in August-September."

'Kung Fu Yoga' will be directed by Chan's long-standing friend Stanley Tong.

News of the film's production unit comes even as Dubai is set to serve as a backdrop for the next 'Star Trek' film, even as Bollywood's 'Welcome Back' is returning to the emirate next month to host the comedy's world premiere here following its film shoot here in 2014.

Meanwhile, across E11, Abu Dhabi is all set to shine on big screen again when 'Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens' releases in December.

Aamir would have been awesome, but we'll take Katrina. Wonder why Akshay wasn't in the running here....

GeneChing
09-03-2015, 09:10 AM
My day is ruined. :(:(:(

Katrina Kaif Clears The Air About Doing Jackie Chan’s Next Film ‘Kung Fu Yoga’! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2pU6XXQ9ts)
Posted by Priyam Saha
September 3, 2015

http://www.missmalini.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/kj.jpg
Katrina Kaif, Jackie Chan

Not too long ago, reports were doing the rounds that Katrina Kaif will be doing Jackie Chan’s next film with him titled Kung Fu Yoga and it would’ve obviously been a huge milestone in her career. However, at a recent event, when Kat was asked about this cool project, she said she isn’t a part of it anymore. Oh no! :(
She said:

There was a discussion, but things didn’t work out. I need to be here in Mumbai, and work on the films I have in the Hindi film industry. I never speak about offers. If you aren’t doing a film, why must you talk about it? Whoever else does will speak about it.

Currently, she’s working on Anurag Basu‘s film with Ranbir Kapoor. We hope this pays off :)

GeneChing
09-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Jackie Chan’s ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ Begins Shooting in Dubai (http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jackie-chan-kung-fu-yoga-dubai-1201603806/)

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/jackie-chan-caa.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1
Top Photo Corporation/REX Shutterstock
September 28, 2015 | 08:00AM PT
Naman Ramachandran

LONDON — Director Stanley Tong has commenced principal photography at Dubai locations on “Kung Fu Yoga.” The film, starring Jackie Chan, is the first under the China-India co-production agreement that was signed in September 2014.

Filming will conclude on Oct. 30 and is expected to shoot at Indian locations at a later schedule.

The film is a co-production between China’s Taihe Entertainment and Shinework Media, and India’s Viacom 18.

UAE production services company AlKatraz Productions is handling the Dubai shoot logistics and the film has the support of the Dubai Film and TV Commission. Some 100 international crew members as well as local crews are involved in the production that will feature several car chases.

“We are greatly looking forward to filming parts of ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ in Dubai, and the locations we have selected perfectly complement the scenes we are shooting here,” Tong said. “Dubai’s iconic skyscrapers and attractions are recognized around the world, and we are excited to work closely with Dubai Film and TV Commission to ensure an enjoyable and successful filming time in Dubai.”

“We are very excited to welcome Jackie Chan and the team to Dubai,” Jamal Al Sharif, chairman of Dubai Film and TV Commission said. “The UAE is becoming an increasingly popular destination for Hollywood and Bollywood productions, and the filming of ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ in Dubai is another major boost for our film industry.”

Justin Lin’s “Star Trek Beyond” is another high profile international production that will shoot soon in the United Arab Emirates.

Viacom 18 is a joint venture between U.S. media conglomerate Viacom and India’s Network 18 Group. Taihe runs several film, television and music production companies in China. Shinework produces world cinema programs for the China Movie Channel and plays an assisting role for the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film & Television and the Film Bureau to promote international cultural communication between China and the world.

I have high hopes for this project. I think Jackie could be an excellent Bollywood dancer. ;)

GeneChing
09-29-2015, 10:47 AM
EXO Update: EXO Member Lay To Visit India For ‘Kung Fu Yoga’; Former EXO Member Tao and SM Entertainment Rift Rolling! (http://en.yibada.com/articles/68242/20150928/exo.htm)
Adelyn Torralba | Sep 28, 2015 12:45 AM EDT

http://images.en.yibada.com/data/images/full/58790/sm-entertainments-chinese-south-korean-boy-band-exo-member-lay-is-reportedly-selected-as-a-cast-member-in-the-upcoming-film-kung-fu-yoga-with-jackie-and-tiger-shroff.png?w=685
SM Entertainment's Chinese-South Korean boy band EXO member Lay is reportedly selected as a cast member in the upcoming film "Kung Fu Yoga" with Jackie and Tiger Shroff. (Photo : Lay Fanclub)

There had been a lot of controversies about EXO lately, especially about members' leaving the said popular Kpop boy band. Rumors has it that apart from Luhan, Tao and Kris who already left the group, Chen and Lay is planning to follow their footsteps on parting ways with the Chinese-South Korean boy band EXO; however, Lay's agency already slammed the rumors and Chen has yet to give his official announcement.

Meanwhile, it can be noted that former EXO member Tao filed contract nullification lawsuit against SM Entertainment last month at the Seoul Central Court. Filing a lawsuit against SM was a path that he needs to do in order to terminate his contract and be released from the said agency; however, SM Entertainment filed a countersue the former EXO member and states that Tao is still under SM Entertainment when he released his solo album, Movie News Guide reported.

SM Entertainment's remarks led Huang Z. TAO Studio, Tao's own studio, to release their own official statement to defend the Chinese singer. It was revealed that SM Entertainment's statement contains fabricated information. Huang Z. TAO Studio claims that SM Entertainment discriminated their Chinese celebrities over their Korean talents, giving severe physical and mental stress to the former EXO member. Tao's studio also claims that the former EXO member sustained injuries during his celebrity promotions and activities for EXO. Tao made his actions by bringing up all these issues and his opinions to the agency but SM Entertainment didn't take any action and even delayed Tao's treatment, Allkpop revealed.

Tao's fight against SM Entertainment is still ongoing, and let's just wait what will happen next to this rift between the former EXO member and his former agency.

On other EXO news, Lay, born as Zhang Yixing, will reportedly visit India for the filming of "Kung Fu Yoga." It is said that the EXO-M member, sub-group of EXO, will share screen space with actors' Jackie Chan and Tiger Schroff. There's no information yet as to what character Lay will play, but the movie is said to be about the Chinese martial art Kung Fu and Indian's Yoga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QyQ0Qi66-Y

Given the YouTube vid, I wouldn't put too much credence in this article.

GeneChing
09-30-2015, 08:40 AM
http://www.thenational.ae/storyimage/AB/20150930/ARTICLE/150939981/AR/0/&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-150939981.jpg
Hong actor and director, Jackie Chan. Getty Images
Jackie Chan spotted on Kung Fu Yoga set at Atlantis, The Palm (http://www.thenational.ae/arts-lifestyle/film/jackie-chan-spotted-on-kung-fu-yoga-set-at-atlantis-the-palm)
Chris Newbould
September 30, 2015 Updated: September 30, 2015 02:31 PM

It’s been one of the worst-kept secrets in Dubai. We’ve known Jackie Chan was heading to the city to shoot his latest movie, Kung Fu Yoga, for more a month, and on Sunday Dubai Film and TV Commission finally confirmed it.

The 61-year-old martial arts star arrived in the country about a week ago but there was no word on the locations that would be used. Dubai Film and Television Commission vaguely alluded to some “landmarks” featuring in key scenes, while insiders hinted at a car chase on The Boulevard.

Other than that, details have been kept tightly under wraps – unless you are staying at the Atlantis The Palm Resort. A letter distributed to guests at the weekend said: “We are very excited to be taking part in the filming of an epic new Kung Fu movie set for release in 2016. We would therefore like to warn you that filming will take place throughout the resort from September 28 to October 2015.

“Whilst the majority of the resort will be unaffected, we have put in place a number of temporary measures in order to minimise the disruption to your Atlantis experience. We thank you for your patience and we invite you to take this opportunity to watch filming take place.”

The letter ended with: “Please do not be alarmed during the Kung Fu fight scenes as this is part of the production.”

Perhaps management were reminded of the immortal words of Carl Douglas, who famously noted in his song Kung Fu Fighting: “Those kicks were fast as lightning. In fact, it was a little bit frightening.”

On Monday afternoon, Chan and the movie’s cast and crew, armed with an array of boom mics, lights and cameras, were in Atlantis filming in a roped-off, heavily secured area in front of the hotel’s iconic East Tower aquarium.

The crew was clearly trying to operate in as subtle a manner as a full-scale film production with an international superstar can – which isn’t very. About 30-40 technical crew members, a mix of Chinese workers and others from the UAE industry, mingled while wardrobe assistants wheeled rails of clothes (mostly shirts and suits) around the set.

A group of seven extras sat by a wall waiting for their moment in the limelight, while Chan, chatted amiably with cast and crew in a manner befitting a man who has steadfastly refused to play villains throughout his career.

It’s a common tactic for big movies to use pseudonyms or aliases to fool the public, and on this occasion notices advised passers-by of a promotional shoot for [Atlantis parent company] Kerzner International, avoiding any mention of Chan, the movie or even local producers Alkatraz Productions.

Rarely have so many “no photography” signs been seen in one place. They were on walls, on crowd barriers, on T-shirts and on high-visibility vests. Some of the crew even had sheets of A4 paper with the words “no camera” printed on them pinned them to their clothes, and the abundant security personnel were taking the rule very seriously indeed.

It seems the part of the memo about guests being welcome to watch filming hadn’t been shared with the guards – passers-by who dawdled too long were ushered into a lift in an adjacent corridor, or back in the direction from whence they had come, even though much of the filming took place behind a screen. Even without the screen getting a decent view through the massed ranks of film crew, security and equipment was no easy task.

We spent two days keeping tabs on the filming, and while the far from ideal conditions didn’t allow us to gather too much in the way of plot spoilers, here’s what we do know.

There will be a major fight in front of the aquarium, featuring Chan, his adversaries and a small briefcase that seems to be the cause of the dispute. The complex scene took hours to film and resulted in a spontaneous round of applause on the set when it finally wrapped.

Chan ends up with the briefcase, and attempts to pass it on to an unknown female co-star. Katrina Kaif, who was rumoured to have a role in the movie, has been removed from its IMDB listing and is filming Baar Baar Dekho in Glasgow, Scotland.

The characters then make their way down the East Tower corridor to the lobby, where a second crew had set up a huge camera jib, so expect some sweeping aerial shots of the fountain and cast.

As for the resort guests caught up in the filming, few seemed to be overawed by the star in their midst or impressed that a major film was being made in the vicinity.

Filipina Jennifer was more annoyed that she couldn’t get through a security cordon to meet her friend.

And a British guest told us: “It doesn’t really look like my sort of film. But my son-in-law’s a huge Jackie Chan fan so he’ll be pleased when we get home.”

Although a few youngsters had heard that Chan was around and tried – unsuccessfully – to snap shots of their hero, the response of most people was best described as mild intrigue.

cnewbould@thenational.ae

Sonu Sood to star opposite Jackie Chan in Hollywood film 'Kung Fu Yoga' (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/sonu-sood-to-star-opposite-jackie-chan-in-hollywood-film-kung-fu-yoga/articleshow/49168560.cms)
PTI|30 Sep, 2015, 05.06PM IST

Actor Sonu Sood will be sharing the screen space with action star Jackie Chan in Hollywood film "Kung Fu Yoga", directed by Stanley Tong.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-49168643,width-310,resizemode-4/untitled-31.jpg
MUMBAI: Actor Sonu Sood will be sharing the screen space with action star Jackie Chan in Hollywood film "Kung Fu Yoga", directed by Stanley Tong.

"Kung Fu Yoga", an out-and-out action movie, will be shot in Dubai, Beijing and India.

Congratulating Sonu for his new venture, his "Happy New Year" director Farah Khan tweeted, "So happy for Jackie Chan who is starring with my friend @SonuSood in " Kung fu yoga"!! Truly Karate meets parathe!!"

The "Dabangg" actor, who is a fitness freak, replied, "Hahaha Farah. Don't be surprised if he gets addicted to paranthe... Then you have to make for us. Get ready."

Sonu started his career in movies with Tamil film "Kallazhagar" followed by his debut in Bollywood as Bhagat Singh in "Shaheed-E-Azam", which released in 2002 with two other movies on the freedom fighter "23rd March 1931: Shaheed" and "The Legend of Bhagat Singh".

The "Gabbar is Back" star earned recognition as Abhishek Bachchan's brother in Mani Ratnam's "Yuva" in 2004 and in "Aashiq Banaya Aapne" in 2005. wait...Karate meets parathe? :rolleyes:

GeneChing
10-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Ileana D’Cruz cast opposite Jackie Chan in 'Kung Fu Yoga' (http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-ileana-d-cruz-cast-opposite-jackie-chan-in-kung-fu-yoga-2130770)
Friday, 2 October 2015 - 6:15am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna | From the print edition
Subhash K Jha

The actress is currently shooting in Dubai with the international star

http://static.dnaindia.com/sites/default/files/2015/10/02/381348-ileana-jackie.jpg

The success of Barfi! and Main Tera Hero did nothing much for leading lady Ileana D’Cruz’s career in Bollywood. Whatever advantage she gained through the two films, was lost with her Saif Ali Khan-starrer Happy Ending.

Undeterred, Ileana has now bagged a role opposite Asia’s biggest action star Jackie Chan and and has flown to Dubai to shoot the film even as you read this. The project Kung Fu Yoga is directed by Stanley Tong, who earlier cast Mallika Sherawat with Chan in The Myth, where Ms Sherawat had a blink-and-miss role. Ileana has a lot more to do in Kung Fu Yoga, including some very cool stunts that Chan is personally supervising.

Says a source, “Ileana’s role in the movie is lengthier than Mallika’s in The Myth. She will be seen throughout the film.” Sonu Sood plays the main villain in the movie (and not a “parallel lead”, as Sood’s PR machinery would want us to believe). The makers are still on the lookout for a parallel lead with Jackie Chan. Hrithik Roshan had agreed, but opted out at the last minute.

Mallika did NOT have a 'blink-and-miss' role in The Myth (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=658). She was the best thing in that film.

GeneChing
10-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Spotted: Jackie Chan in a traditional Arabic Kandura in Dubai! (http://www.albawaba.com/entertainment/spotted-jackie-chan-traditional-arabic-kandura-dubai-752528)
Published October 8th, 2015 - 15:08 GMT via SyndiGate.info

http://albawabacdn.albawabamiddleea.netdna-cdn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_headline_node_big//sites/default/files/im/Screen_Shot_2015-10-08_at_4.59.39_PM.png
Action film star Jackie Chan got a taste of the popular camel racing while in town to shoot his latest Indian-Chinese co-production "Kung Fu Yoga." (Instagram)

Jackie Chan, who is currently shooting for his upcoming movie ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ in UAE, took time out of his busy schedule to enjoy camel racing.

Al Namoos, the camel racing site posted a picture on their Instagram site of Chan dressed in traditional Arabic attire.

http://www.albawaba.com/sites/default/files/im/jackiechandubai.JPG

Photo: Instagram

Why is Ileana Silent About Jackie Chan's Film? (http://www.greatandhra.com/movies/movie-news/why-is-ileana-silent-about-jackie-chans-film-69592.html)October 07 , 2015 | UPDATED 11:37 IST
Ileana may not be busy shooting in India, but she is surely sizzling up things in Dubai. The dusky beauty is shooting for Jackie Chan film titled Kung Fu Yoga.

http://www.greatandhra.com/newphotos4/illeana11444198063.jpg
Ileana D'Cruz does not like to talk about her films till they are ready for the marquee.

The 'Barfi!' (2012) and 'Main Tera Hero' (2014) actress seems to be following the self-imposed diktat with her next project too.

The Kung Fu Yoga also stars Sonu Sood and his picture with Jackie Chan was out some time back.

The film is a suspense thriller which is set for release in 2106. Note to self - check out Barfi!

mickey
10-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Greetings,

Wonder bras can be quite amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvxuCGCsHU

mickey

GeneChing
10-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Barfi! delivered everything I expect from a good Bollywood film, except for a big dance number (there was a small one, but it doesn't really count). Ileana was stunning in it. Plus Barfi! starred Priyanka Chopra, playing way against type as an autistic woman and nailing it. Priyanka is a former Miss World and currently has the lead role in a TV show I've been enjoying, Quantico.

But back to Ileana, I do hope the rumors are true and she's in this.

SEPTEMBER 25, 2015
THE OTHER SIDE OF ILEANA D’CRUZ (http://www.vervemagazine.in/people/the-other-side-of-ileana-dcruz?singlepage=1)
Text by Shashi Baliga. Photographs by Rohan Shrestha. Styling by Nisha Jhangiani. Make-up and hair by Daniel Bauer, Artist Factory India
There are two versions of Ileana D’Cruz. Place a camera before her and she sizzles; take it away and she’s a free-spirited beach girl. Verve gets to see a bit of both

http://www.vervemagazine.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ileana-DCruz-1.jpg

There are some life decisions Ileana D’Cruz has arrived at (some the hard way).

1. “It’s my job to be an actress; not to be an entertainer 24/7. I will perform only for the camera. I can’t make a scene to draw attention to myself; I can’t do that crazy ****.”

2. “I’m a very friendly person, but only if I’m sure that you’re okay with it and I’m not intruding into your space. Otherwise, I will not get in there.”

3. “You could be the best person in the world but there’s always someone who’s going to be disappointed in you. You’re always going to rub someone the wrong way whether you like it or not. You can’t please everyone.”

4. “I like to keep things a little private. You lose a little bit of that mystery and beauty if you keep harping on what’s very personal and precious to you.”

I couldn’t say I wasn’t warned.

http://www.vervemagazine.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ileana-DCruz-2.jpg

Taking off her make-up post the photo shoot, Ileana sums it all up with the air of one whose mind will not be swerved: “One thing I’ve always told myself, and one thing I’ve always made sure of, is that I won’t change my individuality just to be a part of the film industry.”

Right, so it’ll have to be on her terms. But when she talks, she compensates that by not hiding behind words or acting coy; what a relief. She clams up only when it comes to the b-for-boyfriend word, so we’ll get to that last. But like most stars, when Ileana says ‘personal life’, what she means, is more specifically, her love life. The rest is open.

Especially her big break in Bollywood, Barfi. Lucky girl, everyone said, to kick off with such a blockbuster of a movie that kept the critics happy and saw her holding her own against Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra. Hey, it wasn’t luck, it was all thanks to a lot of work and the story wasn’t all that easy, she insists. When she signed Barfi, she says, “So many people told me, ‘What a stupid choice you’ve made. Great that you’re doing a film with Ranbir, but when there’s Priyanka, what are you going to be doing?’ So, I said, we’ve both got very different roles and I think it all comes together very harmoniously, but they couldn’t buy that.” However, she went with her gut feel and, then, “They all had to shut up.”

But before that victory came what she calls a ‘breaking point’. “Nobody knows this but I had an emotional breakdown right before Barfi released. The intensity, the pressure, and the promotions — it all got to me. I couldn’t function. I felt, oh god, maybe I’ve made a big mistake.” When she saw the movie a week before its release, she cried, not just because it was so moving, but “out of self-pity; who was going to look at me?”

Ileana ran away, right out of the country, to stay with a friend — and switched off her phone. What, she missed all the excitement of the super-success of her Bollywood debut? “I was accessing my mail so I knew what was happening,” she clarifies, “but everyone said I was being really stupid, and maybe I was a coward to run away, but I just couldn’t deal with it.”

Clearly, Ileana does not quite operate like your typically ambitious Hindi film actress. She doesn’t get into the gossip columns too often, she isn’t seen much at film dos or parties; she doesn’t even seem to take her delicate, sharp-featured, golden-skinned beauty too seriously. Quite amazingly, for an actress sitting in front of a room-wide make-up mirror, she’s not checking out her angles or playing with her hair or even looking much in that direction. “I don’t think I’m beautiful or hot. I don’t even think I’m ladylike, though I’m getting there,” she laughs uproariously. “I think I’m goofy and incredibly clumsy. I’ve fallen twice already on the sets when the cameras weren’t rolling. Sometimes I think I’m a boy trapped in a girl’s body!” Some more full-throated laughter.

http://www.vervemagazine.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ileana-DCruz-3.jpg

You won’t see her in too many Page 3 pictures because, when she’s in front of the paparazzi, she says, “A different persona comes over me. I’m not me-me. It feels weird posing like that, but it’s part of the job, so I do it.” She doesn’t mind the dressing up too much because she has stylists to do all the homework for her and pick the right clothes. “But sometimes it’s a pain; all you want to do is wear sweatpants and a big, baggy sweatshirt and go to the movies like that as opposed to wearing high-heeled shoes,” she admits. Still, the job demands it, so Ms Professional buckles down and does it.

Even if she doesn’t quite understand fashion (her assessment, not mine) and the pronouncements of the fashion police bewilder her. “They’ll be going, ‘Oh my god, that was gorgeous; it’s such an amazing fashion statement,’ and I’m looking at the girl and thinking, she doesn’t look good, she looked better in the simple outfit she was wearing earlier. Maybe I’m dumb but I don’t get that stuff. I’ve committed lots of fashion sins and hopefully they’ve forgiven me,” she giggles.

http://www.vervemagazine.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ileana-DCruz-4.jpg

She doesn’t care much for the party circuit, either. She grew up in Goa; she’s more an outdoorsy beach girl than a party girl. She has never, repeat never, stepped into any of the clubs in Goa. But in Mumbai and for work, she makes some allowances. “I can do the social networking because it’s a professional requirement but I can’t do the whole party thing,” she declares. “I have an issue with people getting drunk around me; I have to get out of that situation. So I stay for an hour when everyone is sober but the minute everyone’s getting drunk, I’m out.”

Interesting strategy. So how does she deal with the, well, over-friendly types in the film industry, I ask. I think it’s an over-hyped situation,’ she replies, “this over-friendly, casting couch stuff.”

Hang on, I didn’t quite say casting couch, I butt in, but she argues, “Yeah, but it’s all varying degrees of the same thing if we’re talking over-friendliness, isn’t it?” Sure, go on, I say. “It happens if you encourage that kind of behaviour. I make sure people know what their limit is and that they don’t cross that line. I’d rather leave the industry if the norm were to be ‘friendly’. Yes, some people have their fun but it’s mutual. In any case, it happens everywhere. Actually, far worse happens in other industries.”

http://www.vervemagazine.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ileana-DCruz-6.jpg

In fact, the people she’s worked in with in the Hindi film industry have been far from sleazy, she says. Anurag Basu, her Barfi director, is one she’s particularly fond of. “He’s really nice; a big bear brother of a person. He used to tell me, ‘You work so hard…chill, man, go get a life, get a couple of boyfriends!’” Co-star Ranbir Kapoor is another favourite. “I’d read so much about how he was a so-called Casanova, but it’s utter rubbish. He’s an incredibly decent guy and a very intense person. We had some very interesting conversations. He can be goofy too; there were a lot of pranks on sets when he was around.”

Saif Ali Khan, her Happy Ending co-star, is equally, if differently, ‘goofy’ (a word she uses often). To begin with, she decided to give him his space and kept her distance. “But he thought I was being incredibly formal with him and one day, he came up to me and said, (imitating him) ‘Why can’t we just be friends?’ He’s very generous as a person and wants you to have fun on the sets. Half the time he would go, ‘Enough of working, let’s all go out.’ He’s very childlike; in some ways he’s like a child in a man’s body.”

http://www.vervemagazine.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ileana-DCruz-7.jpg

Happy Ending had some happy times for her, even if it bombed at the b-o. It even had a small cameo by Andrew Kneebone, the Australian boyfriend-she-won’t talk-about-to-the-press. She has no problems posting pictures of him on Instagram with gushy captions, she features upfront on his webpage (he’s a photographer); they attend events together. But her lips are zipped when a recorder or press camera is rolling. There’s been much speculation that the big rock she sports is an engagement ring, but say so, and first, she asks in a faux flat tone, “What about my ring?” Then she says, laughing now, but not giving in, “Everyone said it’s a beautiful ring and I agree.”

I let it go. Why would anyone want to push a young, happening actress into marriage or an engagement or talking about either, if she doesn’t want to? Not talking about a boyfriend is one unwritten Bollywood rule Ileana is following; let’s leave her to it.

GeneChing
10-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Viacom 18 Exits China-India Movie ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ (http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/viacom-18-exits-china-india-movie-kung-fu-yoga-1201626432/)

http://i2.wp.com/pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/jackie-chan-gala-2.jpg?crop=0px%2C42px%2C1064px%2C592px&resize=670%2C377
Courtesy of F Media
October 26, 2015 | 05:55AM PT
Naman Ramachandran
Patrick Frater
Asia Bureau Chief

Viacom 18 has ended its participation in Jackie Chan-starring film “Kung Fu Yoga,” which recently began shooting in Dubai.

Reasons for Viacom18’s withdrawal are unclear. “We had every intent to collaborate with ‘Kung Fu Yoga.’ However things didn’t work out as planned,” said Viacom 18 in an emailed statement. “But we are optimistic about more such partnerships in the future.”

The film is directed by Stanley Tong (“Rumble In The Bronx,” “Jackie Chan’s First Strike”) and also stars Sonu Sood, actress Ileana, Hong Kong’s Aarif Rahman and Chinese character actor Zhang Guoli.

The withdrawal means that one of the very few film co-productions involving India and China, has lost its Indian partner. Viacom18 is one of the biggest Bollywood studios, has connections in Indian TV and is also one of the few Indian companies with its own multi-territory distribution structure.

The Chinese production companies Shinework Media and Taihe, did not respond to Variety’s enquiries.

The two countries have long been political rivals and their film industries have been at vastly different stages of development, though recently Chinese and Indian industry regulators have met and agreed to cooperate.

A number of producers have aspired to make a movie that can play in the world’s two most populous nations, but few have even got into production.

In September, Eros International, the powerhouse global distribution and production finance outfit, agreed to partner with China Film Corporation and Shanghai Film Group on “Monk Xuan Zang.” No production date has been announced.

Before that the Indian-originated action comedy “From Chandni Chowk to China” was an embarrassing 2009 flop for veteran producer Ramesh Sippy and Warner Bros. Another, trailed in consumer media since 2010, “Gold Struck,” to be produced by Hong Kong’s Lighthouse Productions, has also seen backers come and go.

We discussed Chandni-Chowk-goes-to-China here (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52608-Chandni-Chowk-goes-to-China).

GeneChing
11-02-2015, 10:20 AM
I should really try to watch something with Sonu Sood soon.

http://www.thenational.ae/storyimage/AB/20151101/ARTICLE/151109923/AR/0/&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-151109923.jpg
Bollywood actor Sonu Sood, part of the film’s cast, tweeted: “N the Dubai schedule of #kungfuyoga ends. Whole unit in the final shot. Will meet every1 in Beijing. Miss u all.” Screen shot from Sonu Sood's Twitter

Kung Fu Yoga wraps up Dubai shoot, headed to Beijing next (http://www.thenational.ae/arts-life/film/kung-fu-yoga-wraps-up-dubai-shoot-headed-to-beijing-next)

Jessica Hill

November 1, 2015 Updated: November 1, 2015 03:35 PM

The Dubai film shoot of Jackie Chan’s upcoming movie Kung Fu Yoga has wrapped up – in local fashion.

As a parting gift, Dubai Film & TV commission were given a kandura signed by Chan.

Chan had been pictured wearing a kandura during his time in Dubai.

Bollywood actor Sonu Sood, part of the film’s cast, tweeted: “N the Dubai schedule of #kungfuyoga ends. Whole unit in the final shot. Will meet every1 in Beijing. Miss u all.”

Scenes were shot last month in Dubai Marina Walk and Atlantis the Palm, and there was also a car chase in Business Bay.

Kung Fu Yoga reunites 61- year-old martial arts star Chan with director Stanley Tong, who was behind Rumble in the Bronx. Also appearing are EXO’s Lay and rising Hong Kong star Li Zhiting.

The film had originally been a joint venture between two Chinese production companies, Taihe Entertainment Corp and Shinework Media, and the US-Indian studio Viacom 18. Last Sunday’s Wall Street Journal reported that Viacom 18 had pulled out.

But Chan reassured the *public on Thursday: “Many companies are competing to dip their toes into this movie. The *filming will not stop.”

artslife@thenational.ae

GeneChing
11-04-2015, 09:31 AM
AFM: Golden Network Kicks Off With Jackie Chan Movie Pair (http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/jackie-chan-pair-for-golden-network-1201632878/)
NOVEMBER 4, 2015 | 06:59AM PT
Patrick Frater
Asia Bureau Chief

Hong Kong’s Golden Network has picked up international rights to the next two independent films starring Jackie Chan.

It will handle $65 million action adventure “Kung Fu Yoga,” which is now in production under the direction of Stanley Tong, and the previously announced action comedy “Railroad Tigers.”

Chan, who alternates between studio and independent productions, remains a potent brand both in Chinese markets and in international territories. His last indie pictures, “Skiptrace” and “Dragon Blade,” carried budgets estimated at $32 million and $65 million, respectively, and were widely sold. “Dragon Blade” grossed $117 million in China in a Chinese New Year release.

Starring Chan, India’s Sonu Sood, Hong Kong’s Aarif Rahman, K-pop star Lay, and China’s Zhang Yi Xing and Miya Muqi, “Kung Fu Yoga” sees a Chinese archaeologist team up with an Indian professor to search for ancient treasures scattered between China, India and the Middle East.

Scenes in China and Dubai have already been shot. Indian sequences are expected to be completed next year.

The film was billed as one of the first co-productions to unite China and India, with the aim of getting a wide theatrical release in both of the world’s most populous nations. That ambition appeared to be derailed last month when major Indian studio Viacom18 pulled out of the project. However, Golden Network co-chief Clarence Tang says the picture remains on course to remain an Indian-Chinese co-venture. Currently the backers are Chan’s own Sparkle Roll Media Corp. and Beijing Taihe Entertainment.

Chan next shoots “Railroad Tigers” for director Ding Sheng, who previously worked with Chan on “Police Story 2013” and “Little Big Soldier.”

The film is a return to Jackie Chan’s cherished action comedies such as “Project A” and “Drunken Master II.” Due for release in second half of 2016, it is financed by Sparkle Roll, Shanghai Film Group and Beijing Going Zoom Media.

The 1941-set story sees Chan as a railroad worker who leads a team of freedom fighters to derail the Japanese war machine in China.

Golden Network is also continuing the martial arts riff — albeit in more hard-edged style — with “The Master.” The period story presents a conflict between one man’s personal ethics and the rules of “wuxia.”

Directed by Xu Haofeng (“Judge Archer,” “The Sword Identity”) and screenwriter of Wong Kar-wai’s “The Grandmaster,” “The Master” stars Liao Fan, Song Jia and Jiang Wenli.

Financed by by Beijing Century, Magilm Pictures and Heyi Pictures — the production arm of Youku Tudou — it gets a major release in China on Dec. 11. I must copy this to the Railroad Tigers thread. (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68652-Railroad-Tigers&p=1288459#post1288459)

GeneChing
11-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Jackie Chan is a superhuman: Sonu Sood (http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/entertainment-others/jackie-chan-is-a-superhuman-sonu-sood/)
Sonu Sood, who is working with Jackie Chan in “Kung Fu Yoga”, says that the legendary actor is a superhero and he is delighted to work with him.
By: IANS | Mumbai | Published:November 6, 2015 12:04 pm

http://images.indianexpress.com/2015/10/sonu-chan-759.jpg
Sonu Sood, who has signed on to play a key role in a Jackie Chan-starrer Indo-Chinese production “Kung Fu Yoga”, interacted with fans over a quick question and answer session on micro-blogging site Twitter.
Bollywood actor Sonu Sood, who is working with Jackie Chan in “Kung Fu Yoga”, says that the legendary actor is a superhero and he is delighted to work with him

Sonu, who has signed on to play a key role in a Jackie Chan-starrer Indo-Chinese production “Kung Fu Yoga”, interacted with fans over a quick question and answer session on micro-blogging site twitter.
When one of his fans asked him to share his experience on working with Jackie, Sonu tweeted: “Jackie is a superhuman, who pampers everyone on the sets…a delight to work with.”

“Kung Fu Yoga” is part of the three-film agreement signed between the two countries during Chinese President Xi Jinping’s visit to India last year.
Directed by Stanley Tong, the action comedy film has been shot in Dubai. It will also be shot in Beijing and later in India.

I found a film that stars Sonu Sood and Akki - it's in my Netflix queue now.

GeneChing
12-02-2015, 02:44 PM
And Ileana D’Cruz is out. This has been a crazy production but what else would you expect for a Sino-Indian collaboration?

Amyra Dastur signed for the Jackie Chan starrer ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ (http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/hollywood/amyra-dastur-signed-for-the-jackie-chan-starrer-kung-fu-yoga/)
Amyra Dastur has just bagged a Hollywood project in her kitty. The film is Jackie Chan starrer 'Kung Fu Yoga'.
By: BollywoodHungama.com | Mumbai | Published:December 2, 2015 7:32 pm

http://images.indianexpress.com/2015/12/amyra-jackie-chan-759.jpg
Besides Jackie Chan and Amyra Dastur, ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ stars our very own desi munda Sonu Sood.

The petite and beautiful Amyra Dastur, who made her Bollywood debut with the forgettable Issaq and was last seen in the Emraan Hashmi starrer Mr.X, is reportedly now in seventh heaven these days. The reason? If Bollywood Hungama’s sources are to be believed, then, the soft spoken and gracious Amyra Dastur has just bagged a Hollywood project in her kitty.

Our source added that, the film in question is the Jackie Chan starrer Kung Fu Yoga. It is the same role that was previously supposed to be done by Ileana D’Cruz, who, for reasons best known to her, is no longer doing the film. Our source also added that there were many contenders for the role but Amyra was the best fit for the role.

Besides Jackie Chan and Amyra Dastur, ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ stars our very own desi munda Sonu Sood.

GeneChing
12-09-2015, 09:08 AM
DEC 2, 2015
‘KUNG FU YOGA’ UPDATE: AMYRA DASTUR TO JOIN JACKIE CHAN AND SONU SOOD IN CHINA (http://www.movienewsguide.com/kung-fu-yoga-update-amyra-dastur-join-jackie-chan-sonu-sood-china/125939)

The news of Aamir Khan’s exit from the casting of much-anticipated Chinese-Indian movie “Kung Fu Yoga” is old. However, the director Stanley Tong is still adding the casts for the movie that has the lead characters like Jackie Chan, Sonu Sood, Zhang Yixing, Aarif Lee aka Aarif Rahman just to name a few. But some recent reports claim that Amyra Dastur has joined the cast.

According to The Times of India, Ileana D’Cruz was supposed to join the cast of “Kung Fu Yoga” but things did not work out with the filmmakers. A large portion of the movie has already been shot with Chan and Sood and Dastur will shortly join the team for the next schedule in China. Although it is very early to say what sort of role Dastur will be playing in the movie, the publication is informed with one of its insiders that the “Issaq” actress shall be having a full-fledged role in the movie.

Before the rumor surrounding “Barfi!” actress D’Cruz joining Chan and Sood in “Kung Fu Yoga” rolled out, the filmmakers had purportedly approached Katrina Kaif for the role but she rejected the offer, as reported by ClapsnSlaps.com. Finally, the 22-year old Dastur, who was recently seen with Emraan Hashmi in the science fiction thriller movie “Mr. X,” bagged the offer.

It seems Dastur is having her high time in her career. While her role in “Kung Fu Yoga” is so far confirmed, IBN Live gives the update that she is said to have signed another yet-titled Telegu movie that would also star Vishnu Manchu and Raj Tarun.

The story of “Kung Fu Yoga” will grow surrounding the lost treasure of Magadha in Tibet and Chan’s character Jack (a professor of archeology at Xi’an-based Terracotta Warriors Museum) will be locating it.

Although the exact date for the release of “Kung Fu Yoga” is yet to be confirmed, but the fans can expect the movie to hit the big screen anytime in the next year.

So Jackie is revisiting the character of Jack from the Myth (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=658)? That would make sense as the centerpiece of that film was the India sequence. However, Bollywood tabloid news is notorious, so who knows?

GeneChing
12-11-2015, 10:03 AM
AMYRA JOINS JACKIE CHAN’S TREASURE HUNT (http://www.mumbaimirror.com/entertainment/bollywood/Amyra-joins-Jackie-Chans-treasure-hunt/articleshow/50113139.cms)
By Avinash Lohana, Mumbai Mirror | Dec 10, 2015, 12.00 AM IST

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/thumb/msid-50113772,width-300,resizemode-4/B2.jpg
Amyra joins Jackie Chan’s treasure hunt

After Ileana D'Cruz dropped out, invisible Emraan's visible girl has bagged the Indo-Chinese film.

Amyra Dastur has been shooting in Beijing for a week for Stanley Tong's Jackie Chan starrer, Kung Fu Yoga. She plays a desi girl with dark brown hair and several action scenes for which she underwent a four-day training in Kung Fu before reporting on the sets.

"We did gymnastics, cardio and cartwheels for at least eight hours on the first day since they wanted to check my stamina after which I trained for four hours daily," says the actress, admitting that she hadn't expected kung fu to be quite so difficult. "But since I am very fragile I need to be extra careful while doing the stunts. I've already bruised one of my fingers and have yet to perfect the back flip but I am working on it. Fortunately, my training as a dancer and a brief stint in kickboxing are coming in handy now."

The action-adventure film revolves around a treasure hunt involving Jackie Chang, Amyra, Sonu Sood and two top-ranking Chinese stars, Aarif Rahman and Zhang Yixing. The Indo-Chinese production will be dubbed in Hindi as well.

"After I wrap up the first schedule I will return to Mumbai on December 11 but will fly back a week later to start shooting with Jackie who plays an archaeologist. I am a huge fan of his and am really excited to be doing a film with Jackie. Sonu Sood tells me that he is the perfect gentleman. I just hope I don't break any bones while doing the action sequences with him," she laughs, adding that she's shown some of her songs from her previous film, Mr X, which featured Emraan Hashmi as an invisible man. "I'm also currently filming Ticket to Bollywood which also has some naach-gaana which I have replayed for Stanley."

Has she replaced Happy Ending actress, Ileana D'Cruz, who recently dropped out of the project? "No, I haven't replaced Ileana nor do I know the details of her exit. All I know is that a few changes have been made in the script post her exit," Amyra retorts.

Oooh - four days of training in Kung Fu. That should be enough to get her ready for Jackie. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
02-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Disha Patani, age 20
Jackie, age 61
Jackie = still da man.

DISHA PATANI TO STAR IN A JACKIE CHAN MOVIE (http://beautypageants.indiatimes.com/miss-india/archives/Disha-Patani-to-star-in-a-Jackie-Chan-movie/articleshow/50916705.cms)
TNN | Feb 9, 2016, 04.17PM IST
http://beautypageants.indiatimes.com/thumb.cms?msid=50916880&width=350&height=350

Disha Patani of Loafer fame is roped in by Stanley Tong, the director of Jackie Chan-starrer Kung Fu Yoga.There was room for two heroines, opposite Jackie Chan in 'Kung Fu Yoga'. And actresses Disha Patani and Amyra Dastur have landed the respective roles in the film.

Disha Patani will not only be seen displaying her action skills, but will also be seen playing Jackie Chan's love interest. Apparently, her experience in gymnastics did the trick. She plays an archaeology professor adept at expert level yoga and martial arts techniques that help Jackie Chan's character in his quest to find India's Magadha treasure in Tibet.

Disha recently returned from China after completing a schedule of her film with Jackie Chan. The actress is currently busy with dance practice till mid of February. After that, she will leave for the Iceland schedule of the Jackie Chan-starrer. Sonu Sood is also playing a key role in this Chinese action adventure film.

Disha is also playing the role of Dhoni's former girlfriend in the Neeraj Pandey directorial, MS Dhoni: the Untold Story, which is slated to hit the theatres on September 2.

GeneChing
02-15-2016, 10:10 AM
The official trailer is not a trailer at all - it's a photo montage. But what can you expect from an article that's titled 'Jackie Chang'? :rolleyes:

Indo-Chinese joint film venture 'Kung Fu Yoga' starring Jackie Chang wraps filming (http://en.yibada.com/articles/104237/20160215/indo-chinese-joint-film-venture-kung-fu-yoga-starring-jackie-chang-wraps-filming.htm)
Chandan Das | Feb 15, 2016 02:33 AM EST

http://images.en.yibada.com/data/images/full/86066/indo-chinese-joint-venture-movie-kung-fu-yoga-featuring-jackie-chan-and-bollywood-stars-nears-completion.jpg?w=685
Indo-Chinese joint venture movie ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ featuring Jackie Chan and Bollywood stars nears completion. (Photo : YouTube/ “Kung Fu Yoga” official trailer screenshot)

Filming of the Indo-Chinese joint venture film "Kung Fu Yoga," starring the 60-year-old Chinese martial arts star Jackie Chan and a host of Indian actors, is nearing completion.

Directed by Stanley Tong, who was at the helm of some earlier films starring Chan, began shooting "Kung Fu Yoga" late last year. The film will highlight the USPs of India and China.
In fact, "Kung Fu Yoga," a part of a three-film agreement signed between India and China during the visit of the Chinese President Xi Jinpingt to India in 2015, was originally scheduled to cast Bollywood superstar Aamir Khan and others. However, the Indian actor later withdrew from the movie citing his busy schedule. The project was undertaken keeping in view the increasing popularity of Bollywood films in China, Mid-Day reported.
In "Kung Fu Yoga," Chan portrays the character of a Chinese archaeologist on a mission to recover lost treasures of the ancient Magadh Empire in India. During the course of his search, Chan meets an Indian professor, portrayed by Disha Patani, who not only trains him in martial arts and yoga, but also helps the archeologist in his treasure hunt, Digital Journal reported.
The plot of "Kung Fu Yoga" also includes some fantasy scenes, such as time travel with Chan and the Patani travelling back to Bimbisara's era some 2500 years back. Bimbisara is said to be one of the first to write a dissertation on the yogic path and finding joy.
The story of the movie changes between the present and various periods in the past. "Kung Fu Yoga" also gives a glimpse of ancient Indian history, showing the rise and growth of the Magadh Empire. The movie briefly focuses on famous characters from ancient Indian history, for instance there are sequences featuring Chandragupta Maurya, a ruler from Magadh who was among the first to establish a pan-India empire. In addition, "Kung Fu Yoga" also shows Chandragupta's mentor Chanakya, who is famous for his books Arthashastra and Chanakya Niti, which are based on politics and good governance.
Earlier, another Bollywood heroine Katrina Kaif was selected to portray the Indian professor. But the producers later opted for Patani, who is a trained gymnast. Considering the fact that Chan is an expert in martial arts, "Kung Fu Yoga" will include a lot of action scenes. Perhaps this was the reason for giving the lead female role to Patani.
Watch the official trailer of "Kung Fu Yoga" below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LLdJRsitNo

GeneChing
02-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Well maybe. You'd think if filming is wrapped, it would be too late for Disha to 'be joining the cast'. Alas...Indian web news... :rolleyes:

FEB 17, 2016
http://www.movienewsguide.com/jackie-chans-kung-fu-yoga-shooting-wrapped-up-plus-plot-update/159684

http://1813463037.rsc.cdn77.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Jackie-Chan-1-750x400.jpg?726342

Jackie Chan has reportedly wrapped up shooting for the famed Indo-Chinese venture, “Kung Fu Yoga.” The film stars many Indian actors along with Chan and has been shot in China, Middle-East, and Tibet.

“Kung Fu Yoga” tells the story of a Chinese professor of archaeology who is travelling to Tibet to find the famed lost treasure of Magadha empire. It is an Indian empire that flourished in Nothern India and Tibet in 600 BCE.

Chan plays the professor in the movie. His character, Jack, meets and teams up with the beautiful Indian professor, Ashmita and her assistant Kyra to find the lost treasure. Jack’s assistant, Xiaoguang (Lay Zhang) and Nuomin (Miya Muqi) join in on the quest too. But Sonu Sood’s character, Randall, who is the descendant of the rebel army leader from centuries ago, who first acquired the Magadha treasure.

The entire company goes to Tibet where they clamour to get their hands on the treasure. When they are all in a cave, a scuffle ensues and Sood’s character Randall manages to snatch a really big diamond from the treasure before the rest of the company is buried in ice.

When Chan and the Indian professor and their crew manage to get out of the cave and the snow, they find out that the diamond is being auctioned off in the Middle East. When Chan tries to get the diamond back from Randall, a chase ensues and the diamond is finally taken by Ashmita who isn’t just a professor, but is a descendant of the Magadha empire.

It is rumored that the Indian actress Disha Patani might be joining the cast as Jackie Chan’s love interest, report Yibada and Digital Journal. Other members of the cast include Amyra Dastur, Tomer Oz, Arif Rahman, and YiXing Zhang. The movie will be directed by Stanley Tong.

Photo Source: Facebook / Kung Fu Yoga

GeneChing
03-11-2016, 01:18 PM
A diya is a little oil lamp, just in case you don't speak Bollywood. ;)

JACKIE CHAN’S DESI TADKA IN JODHPUR (http://www.mumbaimirror.com/entertainment/bollywood/Jackie-Chans-desi-tadka-in-Jodhpur/articleshow/51336515.cms)
By Sanyukta Iyer, Mumbai Mirror | Mar 10, 2016, 04.56 AM IST

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/thumb/msid-51336553,width-300,resizemode-4/B6.jpg
Top: Disha Patani (l); Amyra Dastur (r)
The action star will fly down to shoot a Bollywood masala number.

One of India's most exotic heritage hotels, The Jodhpur Palace, will soon be lit up with a million diyas for Jackie Chan's Kung Fu Yoga. The international action star is set to don a bright red kurta, green mojris and a dhol around his neck, as he flaunts his newly-acquired laktas and jhatkas to a Bollywood-style masala song along with Disha Patani, who features in Neeraj Pandey's MS Dhoni - The Untold Story, and Mr X actress Amyra Dastur in the scenic Rajasthani city.

On March 20, the multi-lingual action-mystery-adventure featuring Chan and Sonu Sood, will roll in India. "Since Jackie Chan is flying in, the entire venue is being cordoned off. Security checks have already begun and an international team of bodyguards is being brought in with the unit," a source close to the development informed Mirror.

Directed by Stanley Tong, the Indo-Chinese production's first schedule rolled in Beijing, followed by Dubai, and was wrapped up last month in Iceland. "The Indian schedule will be the last one and the most expensive," adds the source.

The film follows a renowned archaeology professor at the fictional Terracotta Warriors Museum in China who teams up with an Indian counterpart to locate India's lost Magadha treasure in Tibet. "They are joined by several other interesting characters as their search leads them to India. Sonu plays Randall, a descendent of a rebel army leader who claims a right to the royal treasure. The unit will also be shooting at a yet-to- be-revealed location in India, which will appear as the "Sacred Mountain to unlock the treasure" in the film," the source concludes.

GeneChing
03-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Not fight choreographer, dance choreographer. It's a Bollywood flick after all...

'Kung Fu Yoga:' Farah Khan to choreograph Jackie Chan; Chinese star to don Indian look (http://www.ibtimes.co.in/kung-fu-yoga-farah-khan-choreograph-jackie-chan-chinese-star-don-indian-look-671723)
March 22, 2016 17:20 IST
By Parismita Goswami

http://data1.ibtimes.co.in/cache-img-0-450/en/full/602410/1458647437_jackie-chan.jpg
Jackie Chan IANS

Jackie Chan, who is shooting for his upcoming Indo-Chinese film "Kung Fu Yoga," will soon be in India for a song shoot. The film, which also has Bollywood actor Sonu Sood in a key role.

Interestingly, the grand dance number will feature the film's cast — Chan, Sonu, Amyra Dastur and Disha Patani — and will be choreographed by Farah Khan. According to a report in DNA, Sonu persuaded Chan to incorporate a song in the film and also suggested Farah's name to the makers. Farah had earlier choreographed for the Chinese film "Perhaps Love" (2005).

The report further said the bilingual song would be shot in different places in India, China and some other countries. Chan will also don an Indian look for the song.

"Jackie is expected to fly down by April to shoot for it. It will be a Hindi-English song and will have Indian dancers flown to China and wherever else they will shoot the song, which includes shooting at The Jodhpur Palace in Rajasthan. Jackie will don an Indian look with a bright red kurta, green mojris and a dhol around his neck. After shooting in Jodhpur, they will fly to Beijing for the next part of the song, [sic]" a source told DNA.

"Kung Fu Yoga" is a part of the three-film agreement signed between India and China during Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to India last year. The China regulators hope the films will unite Chinese martial arts and Indian culture. Directed by Stanley Tong, "Kung Fu Yoga" is scheduled to be released later this year.

Chan had earlier visited to India in 2013 and had even collaborated with Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat for the 2005 film "The Myth."

GeneChing
06-13-2016, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wJYrddFU4c

GeneChing
09-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Love the Shinework logo.

China’s Shinework Pictures Unveils Fund, Slate of Co-Production Movies (EXCLUSIVE) (http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/chinas-shinework-pictures-film-fund-movie-slate-1201865509/)
Patrick Frater
Asia Bureau Chief

http://i1.wp.com/pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/shinework-pictures-logo-2.jpg?crop=0px%2C113px%2C1525px%2C849px&resize=670%2C377&ssl=1
COURTESY OF SHINEWORK PICTURES

SEPTEMBER 20, 2016 | 02:30AM PT
Well-established Chinese TV producer, Shinework Media has launched a feature film division with a high-powered slate of co-production movies.

Shinework Pictures, which is already producing the $65 million Jackie Chan film “Kung Fu Yoga,” says it expects to deliver 3-5 movies per year.

The slate was unveiled Tuesday in Xi’an, the historic city where the Silk Road International Film Festival is currently being held.

The lineup announcement was complemented by the launch of a film finance fund. The scale of the fund was not immediately confirmed though as this stage it is understood to have received investments from private equity sources, predominantly high net worth individuals.

“The film fund and production company’s slate will be focused on commercial China co-production films that will appeal to the China box office and international markets with budgets ranging from $10 million to $60 million,” the company said in a statement. The model sees Shinework Pictures fully- or co-financing development and then bringing in partners and using the fund for the co-production.

The emphasis on co-productions reflects the core business of Shinework Media and its founder Jonathan Shen. The company is producer of “World Film Report,” the weekly highbrow show on China Movie Channel (CCTV6.) Through the show’s international activities Shen has led outreach activities and been recognized by the United Nations’ World Peace Award and by the French Ministry of Culture.

“Shinework has a long history of introducing Chinese audiences to international culture so we have focused on co-productions to give Chinese films an opportunity to successfully reach international audiences,” said Shen, chairman and CEO of Shinework Pictures.

“China is the focus now for filmmakers worldwide, yet cultural and language barriers have made it challenging to access the Chinese market. Shinework is bridging the East and West to remove these barriers and become the next leading international Chinese film company for co-productions,” Daljit DJ Parmar (“The Lifeguard”,) Shinework Pictures’ VP of international told Variety.

Co-productions will be structured either according to Chinese regulations on co-producing or according to bilateral treaties. In some cases the movies may be the first to use treaties or help the treaties come to fruition. The slate includes the first China-Iran co-production and the first China Kazakhstan co-production.”

Titles include: sci-fi action film based on a Stan Lee character “Monkey Master,” structured as a co-production with India and being co-produced with Cinema Capital Advisory; Canadian animation “Zodiacation” with a script developed by Gerry Swallow (“Ice Age Meltdown”) and Arne Olsen; comedy action film “Way To Shaolin,”being made with Iran’s Farabi Cinema Foundation; drama “Composer” a biopic about Chinese composer, Xian Xing Hai to be made with Kazakhfilm; sports drama “Blades of Steel;” war actioner “Escape Shanghai,” about the WWII race for the first atomic bomb; and sports drama “The Wolf,” about a Chinese soccer player who follows his dream of playing professionally in Brazil.

GeneChing
09-28-2016, 10:31 AM
Jackie Chan to dominate New Year season with 2 films (http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2016-09/28/content_39391334.htm)

By Zhang Rui
China.org.cn, September 28, 2016

Kung Fu megastar Jackie Chan hopes to dominate the Chinese film market during the New Year season with two new action-comedies.

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20160928/d02788e9b6d41955ad6755.jpg
A poster for "Railroad Tigers" and "Kung Fu Yoga." [Photo / China.org.cn]

He announced on Tuesday that his "Railroad Tigers" will open in China on Dec. 30, while another film, "Kung Fu Yoga," will hit Chinese screens on Jan. 28, 2017, the Chinese New Year's Day.

"Railroad Tigers" will be directed by Ding Sheng. The movie is set in wartime China in 1941 and features Chan as a railroad worker who leads a team of civil guerrilla force using their knowledge of the train network to disrupt Japan's wartime engine and steal food for the starving Chinese population.

Ding previously worked with Chan on action-comedy "Little Big Soldier" and police-thriller "Police Story 2013."

"Kung Fu Yoga" will be directed by Chan's longtime collaborator Stanley Tong, and will tell the story of a renowned professor of archaeology and his team who are treasure hunting in India, Iceland and UAE. Tong has worked with Chan in several classics, including "The Myth," "CZ12," "Police Story 3: Super Cop," "Police Story 4: First Strike," and "Rumble in the Bronx" – the later created the so-called New Year season for Chinese film market in 1995.

This is the first time the martial arts super star will present two big-budget comedies in this particular season.

Jackie Chan just proved his continual box office potential this summer with "Skiptrace," which grossed 888 million yuan (US$132 million).

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20160928/d02788e9b6d41955ad454c.jpg
A poster for "Kung Fu Yoga." [Photo / China.org.cn]

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20160928/d02788e9b6d41955ad4148.jpg
A poster for "Railroad Tigers." [Photo / China.org.cn]

I've been saying Jackie needs to return to what he does best - action comedies - but then Skiptrace (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65866-Skiptrace) kinda sucked. :(

GeneChing
09-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Bollywood number in 'Kung Fu Yoga' treat for Jackie Chan fans: Sonu Sood (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Bollywood-number-in-Kung-Fu-Yoga-treat-for-Jackie-Chan-fans-Sonu-Sood/articleshow/54607246.cms)
IANS | Sep 30, 2016, 06.42 PM IST

New Delhi, Sep 30 (IANS) Actor Sonu Sood, who is gung-ho about sharing screen space with legendary international actor Jackie Chan in "Kung Fu Yoga", says the Bollywood number in the upcoming Sino-Indian project will be a treat for his fans.
How easy was it to convince Chan for a Bollywood number?
"I convinced him one day. I remember sitting with him and having dinner, and I told Jackie that we should have a Bollywood number," Sonu told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
The "Dabangg" star says that at first, Chan wasn't convinced with the idea of a Bollywood song and dance sequence.
"He (Chan) said 'You all Indian actors can sing and dance, but we can't'. So I said, 'Don't worry... We don't sing, we just lip sync, but we should definitely have a dance number'," added Sonu.
The 43-year-old actor said Chan was eventually "very happy about" having a 'desi' number in the movie.
"Then we got Farah and we shot the whole song. It was good fun and when I saw the song I thought it will be a treat to all Jackie Chan fans," Sonu said.
Talking about Chan as a co-star, Sonu said: "Jackie is one of the most grounded people I have ever come across. Very grounded, a thorough gentleman."
Sonu and the "Rush Hour" star spent about a year shooting for "Kung Fu Yoga" in picturesque places in locations across Dubai, China, Iceland and India.
"I learnt a lot of action from him, I even learnt his Jackie Chan stunt. I loved every bit of it," he said.
For now, Sonu is looking forward to "Tutak Tutak Tutiya", which marks his foray into movie production. Directed by Vijay, the film stars Tamannaah Bhatia and Prabhudheva. It is releasing on October 7.
Would Sonu like to cast Jackie in any of his home productions?
"I'd love to. I am definitely going to pitch something to him as long as he gives me some good discount," quipped Sonu.
Directed by Stanley Tong, "Kung Fu Yoga" is part of the three-film agreement signed between the two countries during Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to India. The film also stars actress Amyra Dastur. It is reported that the Bollywood stars have performed some adrenalin-pumping action sequences for the movie.
This is not the first time that the "The Legend of Drunken Master" is starring along with a Bollywood actor. Chan had collaborated with Bollywood beauty Mallika Sherawat in his 2005 film "The Myth".
--IANS
dc/rb/dg

'You all Indian actors can sing and dance, but we can't' Why would Jackie ever say this? He has a great singing voice, a recording career and was trained in Chinese opera (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1315). :confused:

GeneChing
10-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Clearly, The Latest Poster For Jackie Chan's KUNG FU YOGA Needs To Be Taller (http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2016/10/clearly-latest-poster-for-jackie-chans.html?m=0)

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Kap2QlznyYk/V_KBSwtYcAI/AAAAAAAAfEE/N3Sgy7JpO2kVph4k9lq_f_LBHCj5ygx3QCLcB/s549/100236.18479285_1000X1000-1-1.jpg

As broad as action star Jackie Chan's skillset is, you can expect his latest, writer and director Stanley Tong's Kung Fu Yoga to showcase a good number of surprises and morsels for Chan fans. The film opens early next year in China with Chan in the role of Jack, an archeologist and professor who sets out on a whirlwind adventure with a beautiful Indian professor and her assistant in search of lost treasure.

Also starring are Lay Zhang of K-pop group EX0 and actress Miya Muqi and actor Aarif Rahman with Indian film stars Sonu Sood and Ileana D’Cruz rounding out the cast. With the film months away from its release, the marketing has begun for the film, and here to oblige is the latest poster for the film. Yes, it's long. Very. And yes, clearly we needed it to be taller!

(Hat tip to Felix Ng)

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IiUwt8ClRek/V_J8BIrU9YI/AAAAAAAAfD0/TGbyLp1vbvsRd6EpQWMzsK43UT1nMp92QCLcB/s6148/100236.18479285_1000X1000.jpg

Great find by Film Combat Syndicate's Lee Golden. :cool:

GeneChing
11-03-2016, 09:04 AM
I should check out some previous films by Amyra.

Jackie Chan's 64, but has the energy levels of an 18-year-old (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tamil/movies/news/Jackie-Chans-64-but-has-the-energy-levels-of-an-18-year-old/articleshow/55219311.cms)
TNN | Nov 3, 2016, 10.45 AM IST

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-55219311,width-400,resizemode-4/55219311.jpg

Amyra Dastur, last seen in the Dhanush-starrer Anegan, is all set to act opposite Santhanam in Oodi Oodi Uzhaikanum. But even though it's been a few years since Anegan now, the actress remains fresh in our memories, thanks to her film, Kung Fu Yoga opposite Jackie Chan keeping her in the news. About to start shooting in Chennai in a week's time with Santhanam, the actress tells us why she was missing in action, how it was working with Chan, and more...

Did you know who Santhanam was before you signed this film?

Actually , I know Vishakha (Singh), and that's how I came to see a movie directed by Mani sir (Manikandan, of Kanna Laddu Thinna Aasaiya fame), in which Santhanam has acted. And then, I met him the other day , during the puja of this film. He's a sweet person, very funny and quick-witted in real life as well, and keeps joking around. I hadn't heard of him till then, but someone told me he's the best comedian in Tamil cinema right now, and that he's also a hero now.

The next question, an obvious one, is, why did you take so long after Anegan to sign another Tamil film?

I was going to debut in Telugu film in a Puri Jagannadh film, and then, right after that, out of the blue, I got Kung Fu Yoga with Jackie Chan. I was really excited, but that film took most of my 2016. I've been shooting six months straight, till May 2016, for that film. And they had also wanted one month prior to shooting for training me.And so, I had to cancel a few south projects, and then say no to some more. After all, opportunities like these don't come every day! I must say , all the producers and directors were very understanding, and were fine with my decision. And now, I am back to meeting people, and taking up new projects.

Jackie Chan -how was working with him?

Absolutely amazing. We were shooting in different locations across the world, and we were in Iceland for 15 days - that was absolutely magical. Coming back to the man, he's 64, but has the energy levels of an 18-year-old. Not kidding! His own production, his own stunt team, he's acting; he trains his team, looks into every single thing on the set, sorts out everything that needs sorting. And the best part is, all this happens right on the set, in front of everyone, so there's no `later', or behind-the-scene thing with him. And he keeps everyone on their toes all the time. If there was a couple of hours' gap for my shoot, he ensured I was training, or learning my lines, or interacting with the stunt team... he'd keep it very interesting on the set.

Any other Tamil projects on hand? Are you comfortable acting down south now?

See, KV Sir pushed me into this world. I shot for 120 days for Anegan, and so, got used to south film industry's style of working. Also, language-wise, I find Tamil easier to fathom than Telugu. So, I am hoping to sign on two other projects here, but wait for me to finalise things, then I shall tell.
And Oodi Oodi Uzhaikanum -you'll be shooting in Chennai, right?
Yes. Anywhere between 10th and 12th of this month, I shall join the set. Mani sir has told me most of the film will be shot in Chennai, so I shall be here for a few days, I guess.

GeneChing
11-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Of course, I was looking forward to Skiptrace (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65866-Skiptrace&p=1295983#post1295983) too. :o

AFM: First look and deals for Jackie Chan's 'Kung Fu Yoga' (http://www.screendaily.com/news/afm-first-look-and-deals-for-jackie-chans-kung-fu-yoga/5111040.article)
4 November, 2016 | By Liz Shackleton

http://www.screendaily.com/pictures/636xAny/1/1/0/1250110_Kung-Fu-Yoga.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Golden Network inks deals on kung fu caper.

Japan’s Kadokawa has snapped up action adventure Kung Fu Yoga, starring Jackie Chan, which Golden Network Asia has also sold to a slew of other territories in Asia and Europe.

The film, directed by Stanley Tong and also starring India’s Sonu Sood, has also gone to Hong Kong & Macau (Intercontinental), Turkey (Tanweer), Indonesia (Prima Cinema), Singapore (Clover Films), Taiwan (Long Shong), Thailand (Sahamongkolfilm), Latin America (Swen Group), Italy (Notorious Pictures), Russia & CIS (Capella Film) and the Middle East (Gulf Film). GSC Movies has taken the film for Malaysia, Brunei, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar.

Golden Network has also sold Railroad Tigers, directed by Ding Sheng and also starring Chan, to Well Go USA for North America, the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

The film has also gone to Asian territories including Hong Kong & Macau (Intercontinental), South Korea (Double & Joy), Indonesia (Prima Cinema), The Philippines (Viva), Singapore (Clover Films), Taiwan (Deepjoy Pictures) and Thailand (Mono Film), while GSC Movies has rights for Malaysia, Brunei, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar.

Outside of Asia the film has sold to Italy (Notorious Pictures), Latin America (Swen Group), Turkey (Tanweer) and the Middle East (Gulf Film).

Railroad Tigers will receive a wide global release on December 30, while Kung Fu Yoga is scheduled for release on January 28, 2017, over Chinese New Year.

GeneChing
11-07-2016, 09:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcaKc4W4u10

GeneChing
12-21-2016, 09:01 AM
'Kung Fu Yoga' star Jackie Chan attends UNICEF's 70th anniversary with Orlando Bloom, Priyanka Chopra, David Beckham (http://en.yibada.com/articles/180151/20161220/jackie-chan-unicef-goodwill-ambassador-kung-fu-yoga.htm)
Abbey Vannelli | Dec 20, 2016 03:02 PM EST

http://images.en.yibada.com/data/thumbs/full/142458/685/0/0/0/l-r-orlando-bloom-priyanka-chopra-angelique-kidjo-david-beckham-femi-kuti-ishmael-beah-jackie-chan-and-guest-attend-unicefs-70th-anniversary-event-at-united-nations-headquarters-on-december-12-2016-in-new-york-city.jpg
(L-R) Orlando Bloom, Priyanka Chopra, Angelique Kidjo, David Beckham, Femi Kuti, Ishmael Beah, Jackie Chan and guest attend UNICEF's 70th Anniversary Event at United Nations Headquarters on December 12, 2016 in New York City. (Photo : Getty Images/Mike Coppola)

"Kung Fu Yoga" star and Goodwill Ambassador Jackie Chan attended the UNICEF's 70th anniversary event in New York. The event of United Nation's agency which handles child-related issues had once again raised awareness of the myriad problems in the world. One of those touched was Chan who was so desperate over the children's ill fate that he wished he was a superhero to save the world.
The martial arts icon was among the many stars who graced the U.N. agency's event. He was appointed Goodwill Ambassador by the agency in 2004. He used his influence as a global superstar to help the cause of children. His passion to help the needy shows whenever he answers questions emphatically.
"It's not the children's fault, sometimes it's the parents, sometimes it's the area, sometimes it's the situation," Chan told BBC about children with HIV/AIDS at the sidelines of UNICEF's 70th anniversary event. "They do nothing wrong. They are just helpless."
There are 1.8 million below 16-year-old children around the world that are inflicted with HIV/AIDS, according to UNICEF's Seventh Stocktaking Report. A bit of a good news is that the number of deaths related to AIDS among children below 5 years old had been reduced.
The Hong Kong-born actor was just willing to help when UNICEF asked him. He has known that UNICEF has helped a lot of people especially children over 70 years. He hopes that the next 70 years will be focused on fostering peace worldwide.
As a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, one of Chan's ways of showing emotional support to children with HIV/AIDS is to show them the disease is not that scary. He does it by touching them and giving them a hug.
Jackie Chan: China Now Recognized by Global Movie Industry
Chan is also frustrated about children caught up in Afghanistan, Syria and in other conflict areas. Orlando Bloom, Priyanka Chopra, David Beckham, Angelique Kidjo, Femi Kuti and Ishmael Beah are among the other Goodwill Ambassadors present at the 70th anniversary.
The 62-year old Chinsese fa; Chan will appear in the upcoming action comedy Sino-Indian movie "Kung Fu Yoga" which will be available in theaters on Jan. 28, 2017. His co-stars enjoyed his company not only because of his acting but also of his good dancing skills. Indian actress Disha Patani who plays as a princess in the film told IANS over a phone talk from Mumbai, The Indian Express reported.
Listen to Chan's interview in the clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IIQ1bOtrk

"Chinsese fa;"?

GeneChing
12-30-2016, 09:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftei2NnllQA

GeneChing
12-30-2016, 09:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1q83bLVeV8

GeneChing
01-04-2017, 09:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENWW74s2_aM

GeneChing
01-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Here's the same trailer as above but with English subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awfLHkayYBY

GeneChing
01-10-2017, 11:31 AM
http://www.wellgousa.com/sites/default/files/theatrical/Heropage-980x560_56.jpg

From Well Go USA. (http://www.wellgousa.com/theatrical/kung-fu-yoga#showtimes)

Locations & showtimes TBA.

GeneChing
01-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Note that there were additions to the WellGoUSA list with Railroad Tigers (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68652-Railroad-Tigers&p=1299213#post1299213), but that came and went in about a week. The remaining showings for the 2nd week were only the last showings. However, there's better press on this project...at least so far.

http://wellgousa.com/sites/default/files/theatrical/Heropage-980x560_56.jpg

KUNG FU YOGA (http://wellgousa.com/theatrical/kung-fu-yoga)

Synopsis

Jack (Jackie Chan), a world-renowned archaeology professor, and his team are on a grand quest to locate a lost ancient Indian treasure when they are ambushed by a team of mercenaries and left for dead. Using his vast knowledge of history and kung fu, Jack leads his team on a race around the world to beat the mercenaries to the treasure and save an ancient culture in this breakneck action-comedy that reunites Chan with acclaimed director Stanley Tong (Rumble in the Bronx, Supercop).

Director: Stanley Tong
Cast: Jackie Chan , Aarif Rahman , Lay Zhang , Sonu Sood , Disha Patani , Amyra Dastur , Eric Tsang
Producer: Qi Jianhong , Jackie Chan , Wang Wei, Stanley Tong , Barbie Tung
Genre: Action & Adventure, Comedy
Sub Genre: Martial Arts
Run Time: 107 min.
Theatrical Date: Jan 27, 2017
Original Language: English, Mandarin
Dubbed Language: N/A
Subtitle: Mandarin

US THEATER LOCATIONS

January 27, 2017
NEW YORK CITY

AMC Empire 25
234 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036

LOS ANGELES

AMC Atlantic Times Square
450 N Atlantic Blvd
Monterey Park, CA 91754
(626) 407-0240

AMC Puente Hills 20
1560 South Azusa Avenue
City of Industry, CA 91748

AMC Orange 30
20 City Blvd West
Orange, CA 92868

BOSTON

AMC Loews Boston Common 19
175 Tremont St
Boston, MA 02111
(617) 423-5801

CHICAGO

AMC River East 21
322 East Illinois Street
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 596-0333

PHOENIX

AMC Centerpoint 11
730 South Mill Ave
Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 207-2534

SAN FRANCISCO / BAY AREA

AMC Cupertino Square 16
10123 N Wolfe Rd
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 252-5960

AMC Van Ness 14
1000 Van Ness Ave
San Francisco, CA 94109

SEATTLE

AMC Pacific Place 11
600 Pine Street - Ste 400
Seattle, WA 98101
(206) 652-8908

February 3, 2017
INDIANA

AMC Showplace Bloomington 11
1351 S College Mall Rd
Bloomington, Indiana 47401

COLUMBUS

AMC Lennox Town Center 24
777 Kinnear Rd
Columbus, OH 43212

HOUSTON

AMC Studio 30
2949 Dunvale
Houston, TX 77063
(713) 977-4431

SAN DIEGO

AMC Mission Valley 20
1640 Camino Del Rio N
San Diego, CA 92108

CANADA THEATER LOCATIONS

January 27, 2017
TORONTO

Cineplex Cinemas Markham & VIP
79 Enterprise Blvd #169
Markham, ON L6G 0E7, Canada

Cineplex Cinemas Yonge Dundas
10 Dundas Street East #402
Toronto, ON M5B 2G9, Canada
(416) 977-9262

VANCOUVER

Cineplex Cinemas SilverCity Riverport
14211 Entertainment Way
Richmond, BC V6W 1K4, Canada

February 3, 2017
OTTAWA

Mayfair Theatre
1074 Bank St
Ottawa, ON K1S 3X3, Canada

GeneChing
01-18-2017, 11:20 AM
This quiz is actually kind of tough. Good luck!

Chinese New Year Giveaway (新年送大礼) (http://www.jackiechan.com/scrapbook/)
16. January 2017 ·

http://www.jackiechan.com/scrapbook/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/03-CNY-2017-sm.jpg

Next year is the year of the Rooster!
To celebrate this festive time, Jackie will be giving away 100 “lai si” – lucky red packets again!
Jackie is always grateful for the unconditional love and support that he receives from fans all over the world. Without YOU (his loving fans), Jackie wouldn’t be where he is today.
The tradition of giving red packets during the Lunar New Year is to give luck, prosperity and happiness to the younger generation and Jackie hopes to give this to you too! There are 100 red packets to give away, and because Jackie’s upcoming new movie, Kung Fu Yoga, will be released in China during the Lunar New Year, Jackie has 5 special Kung Fu Yoga vests that he’d like to give away as well.
Would you like a chance to win 1 of 100 lucky red packets (and possibly 1 of 5 Kung Fu Yoga vests)? We’ve got a fun general knowledge quiz for you to decipher, so let’s see how well you know Jackie Chan. Below are 10 multiple choice questions; beside them on the right are 4 possible answers to each question for you to choose. (So even if you don’t know the answer, you still have a 25% chance of guessing the right one.)
The first correct 100 answers will receive a JC lucky red packet. And then out of the first correct 100 recipients, Jackie and his staff will randomly select 5 lucky winners to receive the limited edition Kung Fu Yoga vest (size and color will be chosen at random)
How to enter:
Create a new email and in the subject line write: 2017 CNY Giveaway
Write down your matching answers, for example:
1 – A
2 – B
3 – C…
Also write down your details:
Name:
Email Address:
Country of Residence:
Send your email to: competition@jackiechan.com

It’s that simple!
The first 100 correct answers will receive a lucky red packet, and 5 winners will be randomly selected by Jackie and his team for the Kung Fu Yoga vest. The competition ends on February 01, 2017. Winners will be announced on February 06, 2017.
Just like our last giveaway, lucky winners will be notified by email and will also make an announcement on Jackie’s Facebook page and Official Website. Test your knowledge and see how well you know Jackie Chan. Be quick and start emailing your answers today!
PLEASE NOTE:
Only one entry per person will be accepted. Multiple entries from the same person will automatically be eliminated. Size, color and style of the Kung Fu Yoga vests will be chosen at random. The JC Group reserves the right to the final decision on the giveaway competition.

================================================== ==================================================
新年送大礼

又到农历新年了! 为了迎接鸡年, 成龙大哥准备了100封红包送给粉丝们!
成龙大哥经常提到粉丝们对他的无限支持及热情爱心. 没有你们 (世界各地的粉丝们) 就没有今天的成龙.
农历春节时, 长辈派红包给晚辈的传统, 表示长辈把新的一年的祝福和好运带给他们, 而成龙大哥也想跟大家一起分享! 为表答谢粉丝们对他的鼓励, 成龙大哥准备了100封红包送给100位幸运儿. 另外, 由于 《功夫瑜伽》 将会农历新年中国上映, 成龙大哥特别安排5件《功夫瑜伽》棉衣背心送给5位答对题目的幸运儿.
大家想有机会获得红包或《功夫瑜伽》棉衣背心吗? 很简单! 一起来玩个游戏吧!
以下有10个关于成龙大哥的题目, 每个题目的右边有4个答案可以选择。即使不知道答案, 还有四分一机会猜中!
首100名全答对的粉丝们可赢取红包一封。另外, 成龙大哥及他的员工们 会在幸运儿之中 任意挑选5位, 获得《功夫瑜伽》棉衣背心一件.
参加方法:
1) 在电子邮件主题填写: 2017 – 新年送大礼
2) 写下您的答案, 如: 1-A, 2-B, 3-C…..
3) 也记住写下您的: 名字, 电邮地址及现住国家
4) 电邮发往: competition@jackiechan.com
这次游戏于2017年2月01日截止。得奖名单将于2016年02月06日在此官网公布。请密 切留意!
注意: 每人只可发送答案一次。如有发现多次参与, 将被自动作废。 JC Group 拥有最终决定权。

Jackie Chan Quizz
How well do you know Jackie Chan?

What is Jackie Chan’s birth name?
成龍的真名字是什麼?
A. Chan Yuen Long 陳元龍
B. Yuen Lou 元樓
C. Chan Kong Sang 陳港生
D. Fong Shi Long 房仕龍

Which actor has not filmed with Jackie before?
那位演員沒有跟成龍大哥一起拍戲?
A. Tony Leung Chiu Wai 粱潮偉
B.Oliver Platt 奥利弗·普莱特
C. Takeshi Kaneshiro 金城武
D. Michael Wong Man Tak 王敏德

When did the JC Stunt Team officially establish?
成家班於那年正式成立?
A. 1976
B. 1979
C. 1983
D. 1995

What are the names of Jackie’s two golden retrievers?
成龙养的两只金毛犬叫什么名字?
A. TJ & Tony
B. JJ & Jones
C. Bing Bing & Bingo
D. Tom & Jerry

In 1993, Jackie won the Best Actor Award for which movie?
成龍於1993年, 憑著那部電影獲得最佳男主角?
A. Crime Story 重案組
B. Police Story 3: Supercop 警察故事III超級警察
C. City Hunter 城市獵人
D. Drunken Master II 醉拳II

Can you guess who is Jackie?
猜猜那位是年輕的成龍?
http://www.jackiechan.com/scrapbook/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/06-guess-use.jpg
A. B. C. D.

What was the name of Jackie’s character in the movie:
Rob-B-Hood?
在電影“寶貝計劃”裡面, 成龍演繹的角色名是…?
A. Jack 傑克
B. Steelhead 鐵頭
C. Thongs 拖鞋
D. Chan Ka Kui 陳家駒

Which movie does this theme song belong to?`
以下的歌是屬於那部電影的主提曲?

Audio Player
00:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.
A. B. C. D.

In the film “Wheels on Meals” starring Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao, who was the main female actress?
由成龍, 洪金寶及元彪主演的”快餐車”裡面,
飾演女主角的藝人是…
A. Lola Forner 劳拉·福纳
B. Maggie Cheung 張曼玉
C. Michelle Yeoh 楊紫瓊
D. Moon Lee 李賽鳳

What is Jackie’s favourite dessert?
那个甜品是大哥最喜欢食的?
A.
Mango Pudding 芒果布丁
B.
Crème Brǔlée
法式焦糖奶油布丁
C.
Dried Bean Curd, Gingko Nuts, Boiled Egg Dessert
白果腐竹雞蛋糖水
D.
Red Bean/Green Bean Soup
紅豆/綠豆湯

You got to follow the link to Jackie's site for question 8.

GeneChing
01-23-2017, 11:33 AM
Good thing her teachers were understanding...

Fan chooses seeing Jackie Chan over final thesis presentation (http://www.tnp.sg/entertainment/movies/fan-chooses-seeing-jackie-chan-over-final-thesis-presentation)

http://www.tnp.sg/sites/default/files/styles/rl780/public/articles/2017/01/23/eljackie21ol.jpg?itok=wCD-mFE_
Miss Tamimi Sungkar, 22, and her sister, Miss Tiara Sungkar, 21, came all the way from Jakarta, Indonesia to meet Jackie ChanTNP PHOTO: ELAINE LEE

Jan 23, 2017 08:15 am

Jackie Chan willingly goes to extemes in his films. Some of his fans will go to extremes in the hope of meeting him.

Miss Tiara Sungkar, 21, who lives in Jakarta, Indonesia, postponed her final year thesis presentation just to see the Hong Kong action star at a fan meet held at Plaza Singapura on Friday evening.

It was also her first time abroad and had rushed to the immigration office to make her passport just ten days before the event.

"It is my first time travelling out of the country and I was very excited to see him, it was like a dream come true," said the final year Indonesian Institute of Technology university student.

"I always sing his songs and imitate his moves from the videos I've watched."

The fan of fourteen years, who travelled with her sister, Tamimi, 22, told The New Paper that she also postponed her Chemical Engineering thesis meeting, where she was supposed to make her final presentation with her lecturer to travel to Singapore.

"I told my lecturer the truth and begged him for permission to postpone the meeting. He agreed."

She did not find any resistance from her parents either as they were fully aware how big a fan Tiara is.

Tamimi added that her sister loves Chan so much that she went to take up martial arts just to feel closer to Chan. Tiara is a first Dan black belt in Taekwondo and plans to start Wing Chun soon.

"She also has a dream to become his stunt man.", Tamimi confessed on her sister's behalf.

Tiara's plan is to follow Chan's stunt team next year.

Though Tiara first saw Chan in Snake In The Eagle's Shadow (1978), her favourite Jackie Chan movie is 2004's New Police Story.

"I think it has a good storyline and I like how Jackie played Chan Kwok-Wing. He was deeply connected with his role."

The duo, who spent about $1,000 in total to travel to Singapore, was disappointed when they did not manage to take a photo with him on Friday evening.

Said Tiara: "We are really sad about it."

http://www.tnp.sg/sites/default/files/styles/rl780/public/articles/2017/01/20/eljackie21ol.jpg?itok=lYaw9qDu
Actress Amyra Dastur, Disha Patani, Jackie Chan, Stanley Tong and Mu Qimiya at the Kung Fu Yoga press conferencePHOTO: THE STRAITS TIMES

Another fan, Mr Sai Shetra, 19, however, was one of the lucky ones.

The tertiary student, who was first in line, said he had queued since 9am and was hoping to take a selfie and get an autograph with Chan during the fan meet.

And he did.

"It was a legit miracle, because Jackie saw me, smiled, and asked one of the security officers there to take my disk, signed it and gave me a thumbs up," said the fan of 14 years.

"I have been a fan of him since I was five years old and my first movie I've watched was Shanghai Knights but I enjoyed Rush Hour 3 the most."

Shared Mr Sai, in terms of the comedy and chemistry, he felt that what both Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker shared on screen was really amazing.

At a press conference held before his fan meet, Chan, 62, shared his harrowing experience about his brush with death while filming in London.

"I had been feeling unwell, but the pain was so overwhelming that I was rushed to the hospital and had to go through a five hour operation.

"It turns out that my skin and muscle has rotted and my intestines were out of alignment."

During the operation, his assistants waited outside, crying.

But there was no rest.

"The doctor told me to stop filming immediately but I rested for a day, and then started working the next day," said Chan.

"I also went to Iceland to film in cold water shortly after."

When asked if he has given any advice to Heavenly King Andy Lau, who suffered a pelvic injury after being thrown off a horse while shooting a tea commercial on Tuesday, Chan said: "I knew about the incident and have since called him through his manager on Thursday to ask about his condition.

"I think it is very hard to give any advice, he is also someone who would want to do everything himself if he can.

"He is now back in Hong Kong for treatment, and if there is any new development, they will inform me."

GeneChing
02-03-2017, 02:59 PM
I saw Kung Fu Yoga last night with Gary, our copy editor.

It’s silly. Lots of obvious wires, lots of fights with CGI animals (wth?) and the CGI is weak. Jackie delivers a lot of fight scenes but nothing new and it was only a few actions per cut. He does some kicks but they are all waist level. Even his carp kick ups looked wire assisted. He left most of the more acrobatic fight moves to Aarif, again a lot of wire work, and Aarif just can't sell a punch like Jackie.

Note that as most of you know, I LUV Bollywood flicks. Not to spoil it for you, but what this needed was some more Bollywood dance numbers. The thing about that is if people are breaking out into Bollywood dance numbers, you accept it as all a farce and the silliness is more watchable. It was almost there, but it was like there were too many people trying to check off nods to Yoga and Kung Fu, to give China and India face, and to make sure all the ingredients were included in the formula. The dialog was painfully stilted (although most of it was English so that must be factored in). It's a lavish production, but it just won't fly in the U.S. market. It's hampered by too much Chinese/Indian film sensibilities, and a lot of mediocre CGI. That's alright though because no one in America even knows it's out, except for us. I did enjoy the Bollywood dance number, but it came way too late to salvage the film. Apparently it's doing okay in China. I'll be curious to see how it does in India.

I thought Skiptrace was weak (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65866-Skiptrace&p=1295983#post1295983). I have it on good authority from a Jackie Chan fan that is even more of a fanboy than I am, that Railroad Tigers (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68652-Railroad-Tigers)is weak too, but will refrain from judgement until I see it for myself. But I'm still loyal to Jackie. After all the times he's risked life and limb just to entertain us, I'll stick with him to the bitter end. Maybe the Foreigner (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68698-The-Foreigner) will be good? Bleeding Steel (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69568-Bleeding-Steel)?

GeneChing
02-06-2017, 09:49 AM
China Box Office: ‘Yoga’ Wins Weekend; ‘Journey’ Heads New Year Holiday Period (http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/china-box-office-kung-fu-yoga-journey-chinese-new-year-1201978739/)
Patrick Frater
Asia Bureau Chief

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/journey.png?w=670&h=377&crop=1
COURTESY OF LIANRUI (SHANGHAI) PICTURES
FEBRUARY 5, 2017 | 05:44PM PT

The Jackie Chan comedy “Kung Fu Yoga” topped a bountiful box-office weekend in China that largely shrugged off back-to-work blues after the long Chinese New Year holiday – a festive period that saw Tsui Hark and Stephen Chow’s “Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back” emerge as the biggest winner.

The holiday period officially ended last Thursday, and many businesses were supposed to reopen Friday. But, inevitably, many people took the weekend as additional vacation or travel days. Cinemas were the big beneficiaries, with daily attendance more than 50% higher than a typical non-holiday weekend.

For the Friday-Sunday weekend, “Yoga” claimed $49.9 million from some 70,000 screenings per day. “Journey to the West” earned $34.5 million from only slightly fewer screenings, according to data from Ent Group. That included $3 million from 389 IMAX screens, bringing its IMAX total to $15.9 million. (The film also earned $1.2 million from 400 venues in Sony Pictures Releasing International’s seven overseas territories.)

Han Han’s drama “Duckweed” climbed the rankings to No. 3 with a strong $29.9 million from some 45,000 screenings per day. The second India-themed comedy, “Buddies in India,” earned $12.9 million, narrowly ahead of franchise cartoon “Boonie Bears: Endangered World,” which grossed $12.4 million.

Those five had all been released Jan. 28, the first official day of the holiday period. The quintet dominated theaters throughout the nine-day period, untroubled by a smattering of small new releases in the second week.

After a fast start – it broke the record for the largest single day in Chinese box office history – “Journey” had accumulated $182 million from nine days. “Kung Fu Yoga,” in second place, had $146 million. “Buddies” reached $89 million, “Duckweed” $70.5 million and “Boonie Bears” $48 million.

Although Chinese media hailed the holiday box office bonanza as a return to form for the Chinese theatrical business and for Chinese-language films, there are multiple reasons to question that analysis.

First, while the six-day official holiday period (Jan. 28-Feb. 2) saw a 13% growth in ticket sales, according to government reports, the number of cinemas in operation has increased by some 30% since 2016. Per screen, ticket sales remain persistently down.

Second, while January 2017 saw a 25% increase in theatrical business compared to January 2016, last year the Chinese New Year holiday period fell entirely within February. This year a steep comparative drop should be expected for February.

Furthermore, China’s industry regulators have begun presenting box office data differently. From the first day of the lunar new year (Jan. 28), reported grosses were required to include online booking fees. These are typically between RMB3-5 ($0.44-0.72) per ticket. Given that more than 70% of movie tickets in China are now sold online, the inclusion of the booking fees instantly swelled the overall box office numbers by about RMB4 ($0.58) per ticket, or more than 10%.

The idea behind the change is to ensure greater clarity of reporting; after all, these are the prices paid by the consumer. But the change means that making comparisons with past performances, whose numbers do not include the booking fees, much harder. And it is the gross revenues measured in the old way that are still to be used for calculating the revenue shares payable to overseas rights holders in the case of imported films.

Another reason for caution is that the Chinese New Year period was all about local films. A crop of new releases, including Hollywood titles “xXx: The Return of Xander Cage” and the Oscar-fancied “La La Land” will soon grab screens from the incumbents and compete for Valentine’s Day audiences.

So, while “Journey to the West” scored an opening-day record, its cumulative earnings are still currently outside the all-time top 10. The film stands little chance of getting near the RMB3.39 billion ($491 million) performance, excluding booking fees, of last year’s blockbuster hit “The Mermaid.”

I saw Journey to the West 2 yesterday. I'll have a review up later. :cool:

GeneChing
02-07-2017, 08:57 AM
Jackie Chan's 'Kung-Fu Yoga' Slammed by Indian Critics for Perpetuating Stereotypes
(http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jackie-chans-kung-fu-yoga-slammed-by-indian-critics-perpetuating-stereotypes-972335)11:56 PM PST 2/5/2017 by Nyay Bhushan

http://cdn2.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/landscape_928x523/2017/01/1._jackie_chan_and_aarif_rahman-h_2017.jpg
Well Go USA Entertainment
'Kung Fu Yoga'

The much awaited India-China coproduction has received mostly negative reviews and reportedly a less-than-stellar opening at the box office.
Jackie Chan's Kung-Fu Yoga may be kicking up some serious box-office numbers in China but in India the film has opened to underwhelming numbers and mostly negative to scathing reviews, particularly for the abundant use of stereotypes.

India does not officially report box-office figures, but some local reports are indicating that the film has had a less- than-stellar opening when it bowed here Feb. 3. Local media quoted an industry website Box Office Collection reporting that on opening day, the film collected about $588,000 (40 million rupees) reflecting an occupancy rate of 25 to 30 percent, considered average at best. By contrast, the film opened strongly in China with its $38.5 million haul when it bowed Jan. 28 during the Chinese New Year weekend.

Since it was announced as the first India-China co-production in 2014, just months after the two Asian giants signed a co-production treaty, there has been much anticipation around Kung-Fu Yoga in how it would marry the cinematic sensibilities of both countries. Moreover, expectations were further fueled as the project reunited director Stanley Tong (Rumble in the Bronx) with Chan.

But Indian critics have been far from impressed with Kung-Fu Yoga, which has received some scathing reviews. “A mangled mess” is what the Hindustan Times newspaper called the film, adding that Tong, who also wrote the script, “is big on simplicity and stereotypes. This isn’t a nuanced take on either culture. It’s designed as a rollercoaster ride.”

The sight of Chan dancing in a specially staged end-credits Bollywood dance sequence, choreographed by well-known choreographer Farah Khan, has also received a mixed response. Added the Times: “The film ends with the cast dancing vigorously...on the steps of an ancient temple. By which time, some of the reviewers in the show I saw, were laughing out loud. A sort of cinematic delirium had set in.”

Lambasting the film as an “overdose of cultural stereotypes,” The Wire said in its review that “Tong and his crew, from the film, look like the kind of people who come to India, pay for a 'slum tour,' go back to their countries, patting themselves on the back, claiming to have understood an entire country. Or the kinds who failed cultural studies class in college.”

Kung-Fu Yoga revolves around Chan as a Chinese archaeologist who teams up with an Indian professor, played by Bollywood actress Disha Patani, as the duo embark on an adventure to find a lost treasure. Spanning locales in China, Tibet, India and Dubai, the film features Bollywood actor Sonu Sood as the villain.

The Indian Express slammed the film as “a big yawn,” adding that Kung-Fu Yoga was “a cheat title, because it has barely any yoga and a lot of jaded kung fu moves, and does nothing but put you to sleep.”

The film's depiction of Indian exotica seems to be its biggest flaw, as Mid-Day pointed out in its review that snake charmers and the great Indian rope trick is what “you would imagine featuring in a film with the Brit James Bond, or the American Indiana Jones, back in the eighties/nineties. Except, this is a joint Indo-Chinese production.”

The Mint lamented that “Kung Fu Yoga could have been a fun mash-up of Chinese martial arts and Indian acrobatics. But for that it would have needed a script, which seems to have been misplaced, and some decent performances.”

This thought crossed my mind but I disregarded it thinking 'oh, it's a Sino-Indian co-op'. But now that I've thought about it, it's more like Stanley Tong trying to emulate a Bollywood film after only seeing a few. He really missed the boat on that, because it had elements to be a good Bollywood film but it fails. A Bollywood dance number finale does not make it Bollywood in that classic sense. Bollywood dance number should pepper the film like fight scenes season a Kung Fu film, leading up to a climactic finale. Imagine a Kung Fu film with only one fight at the end. Even if it was a decent scene, that wouldn't sustain interest for followers of the genre. But more to this point, the stereotypes in the market were a bit much, although I've seen the same in actual Bollywood films. And I've been to India. Although I've never seen the 'Indian rope trick', I did see snake charmers. I remember having some busker with a burlap sack ask me if I wanted to see his cobra - that was in a crowded marketplace and all I could think was 'what kind of idiot brings a deadly snake into a crowd like this?' I declined quickly.

-N-
02-07-2017, 09:23 AM
This isn’t a nuanced take on either culture. It’s designed as a rollercoaster ride.”

They've never seen a Jackie Chan movie before? :rolleyes:

Jimbo
02-07-2017, 09:35 AM
As happy as I am that Jackie is still alive and active in the film industry, I just can't get interested in seeing any of his newer stuff.

The 2003 Zatoichi remake starring Beat Takeshi features an out-of-place song and dance number at the end that, in hindsight, was probably an attempt to mimic or spoof Bollywood movies(?).

-N-
02-07-2017, 09:59 AM
As happy as I am that Jackie is still alive and active in the film industry, I just can't get interested in seeing any of his newer stuff.

Same.

Though I'll probably watch this one because of the cars and hotties in the trailer.

GeneChing
02-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Jackie's character is 'Jack'. He often goes by roles that have his name. In one scene in KFY, he is referred to as 'Jackie.' But was this the same 'Jack' as in the Myth (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=658)? Was it Asian Hawk aka Condor aka Jackie from Armor of God (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?53875-Chinese-Zodiac-Armour-of-God-3)? Archaeologist adventurer - Indy clones. I gotta start a thread on Chinese Tomb Raiders films because that's totally trending now.

The 2003 Zatoichi remake starring Beat Takeshi features an out-of-place song and dance number at the end that, in hindsight, was probably an attempt to mimic or spoof Bollywood movies(?).

I feel ya. But I'm still loyal. He's 62 now, 63 in less than two months, and his body is beaten and broken, but he's still at it. He's risked so much of his body for our entertainment, like no other performer in history, so like I said, I'm with him to the bitter end. And I love Bollywood, so I was really down with this idea. As for Beat's Zatoichi, I hated it (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?13431-Zatoichi&p=566443#post566443). The dance sequence at the end, which was more weird Japanese film than Bollywood to me, was the only part that woke me up.

FEB 6, 2017 @ 01:50 AM
Why Indian-Chinese Venture 'Kung Fu Yoga' Failed To Impress Bollywood (http://www.forbes.com/sites/suparnadutt/2017/02/06/why-indian-chinese-venture-kung-fu-yoga-failed-to-impress-bollywood/#8b6b3031eaef)\
Suparna Dutt D'Cunha , CONTRIBUTOR
I cover startups & enterprises in India and the UAE.
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

http://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/632541376/960x0.jpg?fit=scale
Jackie Chan and Bollywood actor Sonu Sood at a promotional event for Kung Fu Yoga in Mumbai. (Photo courtesy Getty)

It cost millions of dollars and took two years to make. Its aim was to meld two great civilizations (read markets) — China and India. In spite of a joint venture between the two Asian movie giants, Kung Fu Yoga, failed to impress Indian moviegoers and critics. By common consent, its story is a mangled mess. However, the movie apparently worked for Chinese audiences, as it was released during the Chinese New Year weekend.

With a production cost of $65 million, the film, which earned over $145 million worldwide, is only doing average in India, given Chan’s popularity in the country. Released in English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu languages across India on February 3 — a week after its release in China, Singapore and Malaysia, Kung Fu Yoga made a paltry 40 million rupees ($595,000) on the first day of its release.

In one of the multiplexes in Mumbai, there were only 14 viewers for the first show. It is expected to do better in the southern states of India than the rest of the country, according to a report by box office collection. However, its overall collection in India is not likely to be anywhere close to Raees and Kaabil.

On the face of it, it’s odd because this archaeological adventure has all the hit elements that would impress the audience. The film was shot in Tibet, Dubai, Iceland and India, and with a line-up like martial arts legend Jackie Chan and Indian actors Sonu Sood, Disha Patani and Amyra Dastur, it's a surprise that it failed to strike a chord with the Indian audience.

One reason for the poor reception was perhaps the lack of a decent script. The filmmaker, Chan’s frequent collaborator Stanley Tong, seems to have taken Kung Fu Yoga’s plot from the formulaic recycle bin.
 While Livemint describes the film as an “ill-advised mash-up”, Firstpost says Kung Fu Yoga is a “dated tosh”.

Chan, an archaeologist, teams up with Indian professor Ashmita (Disha Patani) and her assistant Kyra (Amyra Dastur) to locate India’s lost treasure in Tibet. Sood, who starred in Bollywood blockbusters Jodhaa Akbar and Dabangg, plays the villain — a descendant of the original owners of the treasure. 
“From fire-eaters and exotic magicians who perform rope tricks, to multiple cameos by snakes and modern-day princesses, the film shamelessly panders to all manner of stereotypes,” writes film critic Rajeev Masand in news18.com.

Over a decade ago, in 2005, Tong made a similar kind of film, with Chan and Indian actress Mallika Sherawat, called The Myth, which bombed at the box office. Audience preferences have clearly changed since then.

http://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/519077232/960x0.jpg?fit=scale
Jackie Chan, Sonu Sood and Bollywood actress Amrya Dastur. (Photo courtesy Getty )

Interestingly, Kung Fu Yoga is one of three Chinese-Indian projects commissioned during Chinese President Xi Jinping’s state visit to India in 2015. 
The other two projects are a biographical feature of Xuan Zang, based on the seventh-century monk’s pilgrimage to India, and Buddies in India, which is comedian Wang Baoqiang’s directorial debut. Xuan Zang is China’s official pick for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 89th Academy Awards although it wasn't nominated.

Though no match for the success of Hollywood, Bollywood films have gained popularity in China in recent years. They are released in Chinese cinemas and shown on the movie channel of state broadcaster China Central Television. In the past few years, India and China have been collaborating more to produce films. There are joint productions, festivals and exchange programs for artists and students to encourage appreciation of popular culture. Co-production films help Indian film gain access to China by circumventing a quota system for import films and benefit Chinese films as well.

“India and China should make many films together. Indian actors are working in Chinese films and vice versa, and both countries are gaining from this exchange. The two countries might share a different relationship politically, but cinema is bringing them together. More Chinese filmmakers now want to come to India and make films here,” Sood, who also stars in Xuan Zang, said in an interview with Times of India.

Maybe the makers of Kung Fu Yoga reckoned that the digital-native audience, who get profuse and intense audiovisual experience outside the multiplex, desire and expect nothing more than mindless spectacle. Certainly, thinking like this seems pretty pervasive in film industries of both China and India. But that needs to change.

As more Indian-Chinese co-production films are released in the coming years, filmmakers need to keep in mind that an ideal crossover film has to surpass a spectacle and connect emotionally. If that happens, it will stand a better chance of holding onto an audience. There’s no obvious reason why good action and a good story shouldn’t go together.

But in the end, Jackie makes bank on this without U.S. or India.

Jimbo
02-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Gene, I have nothing but respect for JC, and also respect your loyalty. I got so badly turned off by New Police Story, 1911, and others, that it's really hard for me to watch his new stuff.

As for the Zatoichi remake, I also hated it. I couldn't understand why so many people loved it. They probably hadn't seen any of the original series. Shintaro Katsu WAS Zatoichi. Period. End of story. Beat Takeshi might be a good actor in his own right, but his bleach-blond rendition of Zatoichi lacked the charisma, likability, believability and natural humor that Katsu brought to the role. In short, Takeshi wasn't even fit to carry Katsu's sandals as the Zatoichi character.

GeneChing
02-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Jackie Chan’s ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ Dominates Foreign Box Office (http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/kung-fu-yoga-box-office-jackie-chan-1201978657/)
Brent Lang
Senior Film and Media Editor
@BrentALang

http://i0.wp.com/pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/kung-fu-yoga-jackie-chan.jpeg?crop=0px%2C10px%2C1000px%2C557px&resize=670%2C377&ssl=1
COURTESY OF TAIHE ENTERTAINMENT, SHINEWORK PICTURES
FEBRUARY 5, 2017 | 01:38PM PT

“Kung Fu Yoga” dominated the foreign box office, racking up a hefty $51.4 million. The action-comedy with Jackie Chan represents the union of two of the largest film markets — China and India. It was backed by companies in both countries and has resonated with audiences in both places, grossing $177.9 million globally. The film centers on an archaeology professor who goes off in search of a lost treasure in Tibet.

Another Chinese smash, “Journey to the West: Demons Strike Back,” continued its hot run at the multiplexes, earning $35.3 million to capture second place on the foreign box office chart. The film is a follow-up to the 2013 smash “Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons,” which was one of the highest-grossing Chinese releases in history, earning $215 million. The sequel should top that figure, having made $202 million in roughly two weeks of release.

China dominated the overseas charts, as “Duckweed,” a drama about a father reuniting with his estranged son, earned $29.5 million to nab third place. That brought its gross to $90 million.

China has been seen as the key contributor to the movie business’ growth in recent years, but fears were ignited in 2016 after ticket sales in the country began to slow. Last year, grosses in the Middle Kingdom hit their lowest levels in eight years. There’s signs of a rebound, however. In January, the box office was up 25 percent and February is kicking off on a high note with “Kung Fu Yoga” and the “Journey to the West” sequel shaping up to be blockbusters.

Lionsgate’s “La La Land” sang and danced its way to fourth place on the foreign chart, picking up $20.1 million. The musical is a leading Oscar contender, and the reviews and awards attention have enabled it to translate to foreign audiences. So far, “La La Land” has made $268.3 million globally.

Sony’s “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter” rounded out the top five, picking up $16.5 million. The latest installment in the long-running action franchise has grossed $117.4 million globally.

Last weekend, I saw both KFY (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68161-Kung-Fu-Yoga&p=1299730#post1299730) & JttW:DSB (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65681-Stephan-Chow-s-Journey-to-the-West-2-The-Demons-Strike-Back&p=1299836#post1299836) and have reviewed them for your convenience. I'd see JttW:DSB again. As for KFY, Jackie is laughing all the way to the bank on that one.

GeneChing
07-06-2017, 07:57 AM
Bollywood Kung (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48576-Bollywood-Kung-Fu!!) Fu Yoga (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68161-Kung-Fu-Yoga)

JUL 5, 2017 @ 09:26 PM
Why China's Moviegoers Have Gone Wild For India (https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/07/05/why-chinas-moviegoers-have-gone-insane-for-india/#220caf307d75)
Rob Cain , CONTRIBUTOR
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/robcain/files/2017/06/Dangal-triptych.jpg?width=960
Aamir Khan Productions
Dangal is an Indian film starring Aamir Khan.

Jackie Chan, China’s biggest movie star, has been extremely shrewd in choosing films with broad commercial appeal to his core audience, the moviegoers in the People’s Republic of China. The 63-year-old action star is a perennial favorite at the box office, with credits in such hits as live action films as Skiptrace ($133 million in 2016) and Dragon Blade ($117 million in 2015), and animated films like Kung Fu Panda 3 ($154 million in 2016) and Monkey King: Hero is Back ($153 million in 2015). His stardom stretches back for decades for good reason: he knows how to pick his films.

Given his long track record as a tastemaker, when Chan announced in 2015 that he would shoot an action-adventure comedy film in India called Kung Fu Yoga, the movie world took notice. Originally intended to be the first co-production under the new India-China co-pro treaty, Kung Fu Yoga’s story, written and to be directed by Stanley Tong (CZ12, Rumble in the Bronx) would feature Chan as an archaeology professor who embarks on a quest to find a long-lost Indian treasure, a diamond artifact known as the “Eye of Shiva.” The film co-stars Indian actors Sonu Sood, Disha Patani and Amyra Dastur and was shot largely in India.

Sure enough, when Kung Fu Yoga released in China in January, it not only became a massive box office hit with a $254 million lifetime gross (the sixth-biggest in Chinese history), it also touched off an extraordinary run of hits that had India connections. The first half of 2017 would see three movies with strong India ties (Kung Fu Yoga, Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back, and Dangal) place among China’s four highest-grossing films, and two more (xXx: Return of Xander Cage and Buddies in India) in the top 11.

All told, five movies that featured Indian actors, Indian settings, or both, earned an aggregate $958 million in China in the first six months of the year, a 24% share of all of China’s movie ticket revenue. That's more than just a coincidence: that's a trend.

Why China's filmgoers have gone gaga for Indian-themed content can't be easily attributed to any single cause, but it can probably be boiled down to three main factors. First is the general audience backlash against half-baked domestic stories with uninspired plots, cardboard characters and humdrum settings.

Second is the gradual emergence in China of a beloved sub-genre, the Aamir Khan film. Khan's Indian movies, starting with his 2009 social comedy 3 Idiots, have found an enthusiastic and rapidly growing audience, with his latest film Dangal, enjoying a record-breaking run of $192 million in collections to date.

Third is what appears to be a growing curiosity about and interest in China's southern neighbor. The two ancient cultures share many values in common, including deep filial piety and appreciation for family, reverence for education, and respect for hard work as a conduit to success. Both countries are also at relatively similar points in their economic development, and thus the struggles Indian movie characters face with regard to such issues as female empowerment, the transition from a rural to an urban society, and the challenges of climbing the socio-economic ladder, all resonate nicely with Indian audiences who confront similar obstacles in their own lives.

GeneChing
12-21-2017, 09:39 AM
This was originally posted months ago, a remix of the Bollywood number from Kung Fu Yoga. For some reason, it's gone viral this week on the newsfeeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qh_fNcwyHE

GeneChing
07-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa - see the connections, right? ;)

Kung Fu Yoga wins top prize at BRICS film festival (https://gbtimes.com/kung-fu-yoga-wins-top-prize-at-brics-film-festival)
by Asa Butcher Jul 30, 2018 11:48

https://static.gbtimes.com/uploads/files/2018-07/30/kungfuyoga-flickr.jpg
The Chinese-Indian action-adventure Kung Fu Yoga, directed by Stanley Tong and starring Jackie Chan, won the Golden Rhino award for best film at the 3rd BRICS Film Festival. wishcarole Flickr CC BY 2.0

The Chinese-Indian action-adventure Kung Fu Yoga, directed by Stanley Tong and starring Jackie Chan, won the Golden Rhino award for best film at the 3rd BRICS Film Festival, which was held in the South African city of Durban.

The five-day event was held as part of the Durban International Film Festival (DIFF), which took place from July 19 to 29, and also in tandem with the 10th BRICS Summit in Johannesburg. Each of five BRICS member states, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, submitted five entries, which included features, documentaries and short films.

While Kung Fu Yoga took the top prize, China also won the Best Supporting Actress award, which went to Bai Baihe for her role in I Belonged to You, a Chinese romantic drama directed by Zhang Yibai, reported China News.

The festival jury also awarded prizes for Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Editor, Best Cinematography and Best Composer/Music, as well as a Special Jury Award for submitted feature films.

Founded in 2016 in order to promote cultural exchanges and mutual understanding among BRICS countries through films, the festival was first held in New Delhi, India and then Chengdu in southwest China.

Following a suggestion from Chinese President Xi Jinping last year, filmmakers from the member countries committed to make a co-production for the next five years. In 2017, Chinese director Jia Zhangke was involved in a five-part anthology Where Has Time Gone with an all-male directorial team.

This year, Jia supervised the BRICS film Half the Sky and was joined by an all-female list of directors, which included Liu Yulin (China), Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari (India), Elizaveta Stishova (Russia), Daniela Thomas (Brazil) and Sara Bleher (South Africa). The theme was “Contemporary women's emotions and society”, added China.org.cn.

In honour of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Nelson Mandela, five five-minute long short films were produced by the respective members with the help of the South African Film and Television Foundation, as well as South African production companies Via-Vollenhoven and Appollis Independent, reported multi-platform content firm Independent Media.

"Each country reflected […] how each member country related to Nelson Mandela and the impact he had through leadership, politics, humanity, culture, and unity," wrote Independent Media.

GeneChing
04-09-2019, 08:22 AM
I dunno - Indian tabloids are notorious rumor mongers. That being said, this film did really well, so I could see a sequel.

Will Sonu be the next Chris Tucker (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?63743-Rush-Hour-4&p=1313374#post1313374)? :p

Sonu Sood reveals Kung Fu Yoga 2 is in pipeline: Jackie Chan is excited to come back to India (https://www.firstpost.com/entertainment/sonu-sood-reveals-kung-fu-yoga-2-is-in-pipeline-jackie-chan-is-excited-to-come-back-to-india-6412801.html)
Simran Singh Apr 09, 2019 09:54:49 IST

Sonu Sood made impact in the international market with Kung Fu Yoga in 2017. With the success of the film, the makers are planning a sequel of the Jackie Chan and Sonu-starrer.

https://images.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/kung-fu.jpg
Disha Patani, Jackie Chan and Sonu Sood at a promotional still of Kung Fu Yoga. Image from Firstpost/Sachin Gokhale

At the HT Style Awards, Sonu spilled the beans on the film. "I recently met them (Chan and director Stanley Tong) three days back in Dubai and Stanley is writing it, and they are saying that it's coming out very nice." He further added that Chan and the whole team are looking forward to come to India again. "All are very excited getting out the whole team together and coming back to India. Fingers crossed! Let's hope for the best."

Currently, Stanley and Jackie are working on their upcoming action film Vanguard. Sonu met the director and actor for a special dinner in UAE and there they discussed Kung Fu Yoga 2. As soon as Tong completes Vanguard, they will start working on the sequel.

The Singh Is Kinng actor's collaboration with Chan fetched a huge number of eyeballs worldwide Apart from Sonu, Disha Patni and Amrya Dastur were also integral parts of the film.

Sonu was last seen in Rohit Shetty's blockbuster cop drama Simmba, where he locked horns with Ranveer Singh, who played the titular character of a corrupt cop.

Updated Date: Apr 09, 2019 09:54:49 IST