PDA

View Full Version : Che Wed kung fu?

cwolfe10
01-14-2015, 05:58 AM
I've never heard of it, but a girl at work said she used to do it before her Sifu's school shut down. Just wondering what it is. If it's legit kung fu, or a made up style like chi lin or pai lum

xiao yao
01-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Wed doesn't sound like a very Chinese word.....

But then again, isnt every style made up?

GeneChing
01-14-2015, 09:37 AM
There are some emigrant styles, especially to the South East Asian nations, that have decidedly non-Chinese sounding names. Also some of the dialects of Chinese have names that aren't Mandarin, Cantonese or Hakka, like the Mongolian styles. And some styles get their names slaughtered when getting romanized - which is why we always try to get the Chinese characters (but this is an issue with emigrant lineages).

That being said, I've not heard of Che Wed yet.

Jimbo
01-14-2015, 09:42 AM
One possible clue would be to ask her if they trained wearing a karate gi. That often (but not always!) can be one indicator.

David Jamieson
01-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Never heard of it, but google turns up a couple of references to it being an OHIO or Illinois thing.
Some guy in Ohio who made up a style says he learned it from a sifu Nunez in Wheeling Illinois for instance.

GeneChing
01-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks for that DJ. I wasn't going to bother with the web search. Did you find out WTH Che Wed means? I keep wanting to truncate that into CheWed. ;)

Jimbo
01-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Maybe it has no special meaning. Many years ago, one of the MA mags used to run articles about a guy who started a style he called Han Foo Wa (hand foot way) with the letters dropped to be Asian-sounding. Someone could also make up any random weird sounds, pass them off as 'Chinese', and most Americans wouldn't be the wiser.

MightyB
01-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks for that DJ. I wasn't going to bother with the web search. Did you find out WTH Che Wed means? I keep wanting to truncate that into CheWed. ;)

Chewed - lol, "hey, fight with me and you're going to get your butt chewed!!!"

xiao yao
01-15-2015, 04:30 AM
Maybe it has no special meaning. Many years ago, one of the MA mags used to run articles about a guy who started a style he called Han Foo Wa (hand foot way) with the letters dropped to be Asian-sounding. Someone could also make up any random weird sounds, pass them off as 'Chinese', and most Americans wouldn't be the wiser.

props for being absolutely genius!

RAF
01-15-2015, 07:21 AM
Although I don't know anyone practicing that style, if you really are interested you might contact the following person who has some experience with it. This person's current teacher is Mike Biggie and I know him and his praying mantis is excellent. He also lists Mike Berry as his teacher and his is also excellent.

http://www.sanfangshi.com/

Instructor (Sifu) Ty J. Stupak

I had achieved the rank of Brown Belt in Goju-Ryu Karate at the age of 15. Before aquiring a Black Belt in a style that I felt did not suit me, I began studying Che-Wed Kung-Fu. After approx. 4 years at the Wheeling Martial Arts Academy (Sifu Nunez) and a few years of individual lessons in Northern Ohio (Sifu Berry), I aquired the rank of Red Sash (2nd Degree Black). I continued my training by practicing the art of Poekoelan Tjimindie, an Indonesian Hand-to-Hand Combat for approximately two more years while serving in the Navy during Desert Storm. I am also currently studying more in-depth Seven Star Prying Mantis under Sifu Biggie at the Akron Kung-Fu Academy.

As of 2013 I have been a Sheriff's Deputy for over 20 years with experierence in several aspects of Law Enforcement including the Jail, Patrol, K-9 Unit, Transport/Warrants, School Resource Officer for Black River School District and Medina County Career Center. Currently assigned to Patrol Division and Patrol Officer for Lafayette Twp.

Recently been appointed as an Assistant Coach with Rockhard MMA out of Akron. I work mostly with the kicking and sweeping techniques used in Kung-Fu but fill in with all aspects of the MMA sport.

I currently live in Wadsworth, Ohio with my wife Kristy and four children. Two of which are also training in the style.

bawang
01-15-2015, 08:51 AM
the fuk is a che wed

sounds like another one of those billy hilly kempo guys

cwolfe10
01-25-2015, 02:51 AM
Thank you for all of your insight.

hskwarrior
01-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Its more BS from white people. I find it very funny when white people try to invent a Chinese or Japanese style without ever being said ethnicities.

David Jamieson
01-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Its more BS from white people. I find it very funny when white people try to invent a Chinese or Japanese style without ever being said ethnicities.

white people?

what about Sin The? He ain't white people and he has a few thousand people saying his style is the realz. lol
What about that Black American dude and his Kung Fu was invented in Africa thing?
What about all the fake asses of all skin colours and cultures out there pushing their brand of stuff.

And so on...

SPJ
01-26-2015, 09:15 AM
I've never heard of it, but a girl at work said she used to do it before her Sifu's school shut down. Just wondering what it is. If it's legit kung fu, or a made up style like chi lin or pai lum

It is all about transparency.

You may list your core practices. People would know.

Che can be car, cart or mill.

Wed could be a misspell for wei. Way, tail, encircle depending on the Chinese character.

We may name a style. But we have to list our core practices, such as some shaolin quan fa, some mantis, some tkd, no matter.

At least people would know what you and your school are doing or practicing.

What is JKD ? It includes so and so and famous practitioners are etc etc.

:)

hskwarrior
01-26-2015, 09:51 AM
white people?

what about Sin The? He ain't white people and he has a few thousand people saying his style is the realz. lol
What about that Black American dude and his Kung Fu was invented in Africa thing?
What about all the fake asses of all skin colours and cultures out there pushing their brand of stuff.

not talking about them at the moment. just that che wed poo poo

bawang
01-26-2015, 05:23 PM
white people?

And so on...

sin the got cool hair and chocolate brother kemetic shackle kung fu has artistic and spiritual value. when brother make up kung fu it swegs. when whitey make kung fu it scream autism

also chocolate brother are allowed to make up kung fu styles because we colored fellers got solidarity

PalmStriker
01-26-2015, 09:05 PM
:D You sound mellow yellow.

curenado
01-27-2015, 12:03 AM
sin the got cool hair and chocolate brother kemetic shackle kung fu has artistic and spiritual value. when brother make up kung fu it swegs. when whitey make kung fu it scream autism

also chocolate brother are allowed to make up kung fu styles because we colored fellers got solidarity

Bwahahaha! OK you finally got me ~

Fa Xing
01-29-2015, 11:31 AM
I don't know if this helps but there is a Che Style Xingyiquan, from the Che Yizhai lineage, Shanxi Branch.

FCSguy
10-16-2015, 12:05 PM
I studied Che-Wed kung fu first at West Liberty State College and then at the Wheeling Martial Arts Academy, from 1979 until 1982. I moved away from the area, but when I moved back in 1989, I trained there again, until the school closed its doors in 1994. One of the higher-level students taught Che-Wed at various locations for several years, but his skill did not remotely approach that of the original Sifu. When I began Che-Wed, the instructor didn't charge anything he just taught to maintain his own discipline. Practice was conducted six days a week and there were no acceptable excuses for missing class. " Sifu...I can't come to class tonight, I have to study for a test." "Then you don't have time for kung fu, do you?" Punishment for missing class consisted of 20 or 30 minutes of pushups, jumping squats, bearcrawls, tornado kicks, etc. AFTER the usual practice following the absence. Practice involved running, with many variations, physical training, flexibility training, a ridiculous amount of punching and kicking, forms and always sparring at the end (with no protective gear). We frequently worked on takedowns and throws, pressure points, 3 varieties of "temple wrestling" and with traditional kung fu weapons. The animal styles we learned were predominantly tiger, praying mantis and eagle claw, but there were several others included. At higher levels we did iron fist training along with sophisticated breaking techniques, "eagle bed" training, multiple opponent sparring, sparring in water, blindfolded, on stilts and tightrope training! Oh, of course we practiced all the basic gymnastic stunts...Handsprings, tucks and so on....because of the high level of fitness they demand. We were required to study anatomy, energy and physics and pass written tests at each sash level. Che-Wed students did extremely well in tournaments at that time. Sifu learned much of his kung fu in Macau, where he lived for at least ten years, and probably more in New York city, where he also lived before attending WLSC. It is almost certainly a combination of his accumulated knowledge, but it is not "made up". It is real kung fu, although not a "traditional" style. Sifu could perform seemingly impossible feats and I've got a hundred stories. The name Che-Wed was not divulged to us. There were a lot of questions about the origins and secrecy of the style over the years but few answers. The quality of the martial art is without question, however, and it is the standard by which I have judged all others. I am now an instructor of Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut and I include elements of Che-Wed training in my school to this day

MasterKiller
10-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Someone got butt hurt....

bawang
10-16-2015, 03:43 PM
The animal styles we learned were predominantly tiger, praying mantis and eagle claw
LOL
jghjghkjhkj

mickey
10-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Greetings,

Is Sifu Nunez still alive?

mickey

mickey
10-19-2023, 08:09 AM
Greetings,

I think I figured it out:

C- Chinese
H- Health
E- Exercise

W- Weapons
E- Empty Hands
D- Discipline Techniques

Anyone who went to that school may understand just what I am talking about.

mickey

mickey
11-26-2023, 11:49 AM
Greetings,

I think I figured it out:

C- Chinese
H- Health
E- Exercise

W- Weapons
E- Empty Hands
D- Discipline Techniques

Anyone who went to that school may understand just what I am talking about.

mickey

Gosh!

From my last post to this one, nearing 800 views. That was a little over a month ago. Yet, no one steps forward.

mickey