View Full Version : Pride 17 results

Sum Sing Wong
11-25-2001, 03:57 AM
I am mad Sakuraba lost...

PRIDE 17 - Championship Chaos Results
Tokyo Dome in Tokyo Japan
November 3, 2001
PRIDE World Heavyweight Championship

Rodrigo Nogueira def. Heath Herring via judges decision.
PRIDE World Middleweight Championship

Vanderlei Silva def. Kazushi Sakuraba via Doctor Stoppage after Round 1
Additional Bouts:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson def. Yuki Ishikawa via KO - R1
Nobuhiko Takada drew Mirko Cro Cop
Semmy Schilt def. Masaaki Satake via TKO - R1
Renzo Gracie def. Michiyoshi Ohara via unanimous decision
Tom Erikson def. Matt Skelton via submission - R1
Mario Sperry def. Igor Vovchanchyn via (triangle) submission - R1
Dan Henderson def. Murilo Ninja via split decision

Ryu
11-25-2001, 04:11 AM
Yikes, the Japanese fighters are having trouble again... :D Come on guys, get it up!! ;)

They went through a time where the Japanese fighters were cleaning house for a while. Competitions getting tougher again.

These are old results....

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Sum Sing Wong
11-25-2001, 04:16 AM
no man this event aired In America on the 24...i guess it is from the Japanese airing. I just found out that it happened. I wonder if sakuraba can pull himself together, as well the other J-pro-wrestlers?

qeySuS
11-25-2001, 04:21 AM
I just watched Vernon White VS Sakuraba at pride 2 today (just got it). And OMG i didnt know vernon had such groundskill, he REALLY gave sakuraba a run for his money, he kept tumbling around and jumping from side to side keeping sakuraba busy, Sakuraba didnt catch him until late in round 3 (after 2 10 minute rounds).

One of the most entertaining matches i've seen for a long time.

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Sum Sing Wong
11-25-2001, 04:33 AM
the best one I have seen so far is 10 great match with Sakuraba and Renzo, or may be royler i can't remember wich Gracie it was. It also had great a match with Igor. And Goodrich got knocked out with one kick funny stuff.

truewrestler
11-25-2001, 04:48 AM
yeah, Saku dislocated Renzo's elbow with a Kimura(hammerlock type move) from standing.

Pride 17 was good. Most of the Japanese fighters are connected with Pro wrestling shows. Some of them have real skills, some don't. Pride just has so many mismatches but Silva vs Sak, Herring vs Noruiego, and Sperry vs Vovchanchin could healine any show in the world.

Yuki Ishikawa is just a bum. Takada also. He is bigger than Hulk Hogan is in popularity here. Apparently he just butt scooted the whole time against a kickboxer with special rules of an automatic draw if it goes the distance. The Japanese booed like probably no one has heard before in the fight world. They were booing the biggest name in prowrestling. The fight wasn't even shown on American Payperview.

qeySuS
11-25-2001, 04:54 AM
havent seen the Royler fight, and oh yeah Royler s my new hero, he was soooo good on the ground and he's even skinnier then me (propably smaller too).

Sum Sing Wong
11-25-2001, 04:54 AM
How bad did Sakuraba Get beat?

qeySuS
11-25-2001, 05:03 AM
havent seen it yet but people say it was a pretty even fight until his shoulder got dislocated. It looked like Sakuraba had Silva in a tight Guilletine choke (standing), silva then picked Sakuraba up and threw him to the canvas which dislocated his shoulder, Sakuraba kept on fighting till the end of the round but they had to quit because of the shoulder.

Up until that incident i've heard both sides, some people say that it was pretty even, some say Silva was leaeing and Sakurabas face was swollen, but i've heard noone say Sakuraba was leading, so my guess is Silva was doing pretty well. Aparently he had Sakuraba in an armbar and even Royce (which i understand was a guest commentator for taht match) said that it was locked in, but Silva let it go.

How cool would that have been? If silva submitted Sakuraba (he'd propably have to break his arm though them japanese pro-wrestlers dont just give up that easily).