PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Kung Fu? Tai Shing Pi Gua?

MetalMonkey
01-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Hello Everyone! This forum has tons of info.

I was here searching through archives, and I can't find any answers to my questions. I hope to get some help about it.

1. Are there any schools in the U.S. teaching Tai Shing Pi Gua from Gen Dak Hoi or Chan Sau Chung?
2. Does Chan Sau Chung have any disciples in the U.S.?
3. Did Gen Dak Hoi teach others who would have disciples in the U.S.?
4. Is Chan Sau Chung or any of his people teaching in Vancouver?

Basically, where can a person find good instruction in Monkey style?

Thanks so much,

MetalMonkey:)

mickey
01-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum,

There was a forum member who went by the name Flying Monkey who was looking to teach in the NYC area. I do not know if that happened. It has been a few years since he has posted here.

mickey

MetalMonkey
01-22-2015, 12:24 AM
Hello Mickey! Thanks for the welcome as well as the information. I will message Flying-Monkey and hopefully hear from him. Does anyone else here know Flying-Monkey?

Also, I will bump this thread back to the top for anyone who is in the know to see.

Thanks,

MM

GeneChing
01-22-2015, 09:06 AM
There are a ton of threads on Tai Shing Pek Kwar and Chan Sau Chung on this forum, but if you are doing a general search, those terms are so general that they will overload the search function. Click 'Advanced Search (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/search.php)' and enter your terms in 'Keyword(s)' then use the pull-down and select 'Search Titles Only'. That will narrow your search.

FYI, here's the related cover stories:
Monkey King: Chan Sau Chung's Journey to the West (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=260) (MAR+APR 2001 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=259))
Wu Song Breaks Manacles (Wu Song Tuo Kao) Rare Kungfu Form Inspired by Outlaws of the Marsh Has a Comeback (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=237) (JUL+AUG 2002 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=234))

lkfmdc
01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
The only person right now doing real Chan Sau CHung material in the US is in Florida and a student of CHow Keung

MetalMonkey
01-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Gene,

Hello and Thanks! I have been searching through info going back to 2001. I found a thread about Philly area training, but it was almost 10 years ago. I will continue searching. Does Master Chung have a school in Vancouver?

lkfmdc,

Thank you! Any chance you know how I might contact this person? Is this person Flying Monkey from this forum? Would you rather me PM you regarding this information?

Flying Monkey,

Come down from there a moment! I need to talk to you:)

Jimbo
01-23-2015, 09:27 AM
MetalMonkey:

Your spelling of the name of the style has combined the Cantonese and Mandarin pronunciations. Perhaps this can make your search a bit easier:

Tai Shing Pek Kwar (Cantonese)

Da Sheng Pi Gua (Mandarin)

SPJ
01-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Great saint is monkey king.

Pi Gua means da pi da gua.

Whole arms/ chest and back movements.

It is a mix of ground tumbling, qin na and counter qin na, coupled with Pi Gua.

More flexibility and agility of the whole body.

It is a derivative of several styles.

:)

MetalMonkey
01-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Bump!

Does anyone know how to contact;

Chan Sau Chung
Chan Kai Leung

Chow Keung

Or from this forum

Flying Tiger
Sow Choy?????

Sow Choy
01-27-2015, 11:15 AM
You can reach me at

joekeitkungfu@gmail.com

David Jamieson
01-27-2015, 12:06 PM
^ This is the guy LKFMC was mentioning above. :p

GeneChing
01-27-2015, 02:49 PM
....plus the mighty, mighty Chan Koon Tai (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1016). photo by me. :cool:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/298597_10150388567559363_1830502432_n.jpg?oh=5f1de 174e4b7dca85e27cd28d23fa6ca&oe=5553F2A8&__gda__=1432811509_47bc033b940a754a1336b9273085e94 e

Sow Choy
01-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Here i a bettr pic with my Sifu Chow Keung while training in China back in 2010

Sow Choy
01-27-2015, 03:47 PM

I am truly lucky to spend a lot of time and training with my teacher Chow Keung and his senior classmate Chan Koon Tai who I idolized as a kid in all the old kung fu movies... They both are 1st class open minded and some of the nicest warmest people I have met. I am truly honored they wish to me to pass on what I have learned... Hopefully soon they will both be here in Florida :-)

GeneChing
01-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Because if you can time it out near to our event, Tiger Claw Elite (http://www.tigerclawelite.com/) (May 16-17, 2015) we should talk.

Sow Choy
01-27-2015, 05:50 PM
possibly September, CKT turns 70 this year :-)

GeneChing
01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
But awesome for CKT. I've been addicted to Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Thursdays (http://www.elreynetwork.com/#/vault/kung-fu) on EL REY - so many classic CKT films. Every one that I see I think, daaaaaaaaaang, I hung out with that guy. What an honor that was. ;)

Sow Choy
01-27-2015, 07:12 PM
HAHA yes, I love El REy, saw a good one I never saw call Death Duel, I am trying to buy it in Cantonese, great sword movie with a great story...

Gene I tried to text you, did you get it?

Jase01
01-27-2015, 07:31 PM
I am just starting to know more about Kung Fu and would like to know more about it. coming from the guys who actually practice it, are Kung Fu practitioners fond of joining the MMA scene?

Sow Choy
01-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Hi Jase01

I love MMA... I have been into Kung Fu over 20 years and the old Kung fu masters who fought a lot did a lot of cross training, it seemed like they cared less about style and more about what works. They probably would have loved the ability to cross train the way we can today.

Today in Kung fu you will find some that embrace it and don't have a problem learning other styles like Muay Thai or Brazilian jiu-jitsu. But there are some who feel their art is superior to all others lol... They will probably never change, they are loyal like a football fan...

So choose your teachers/schools carefully and align yourself with people who can help you achieve your goals :-)

Good luck!

Jase01
01-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Hi Sow Choy

Thanks a lot for your answer. You are right when you said others regard their art superior to others. But compared to other martial arts, I believe Kung Fu is more on the disciplined side of fighting. So I would like to ask, does Kung Fu masters approve of the mainstream MMA nowadays where fighters seem to take each matches personal as if they are sworn enemies?

GeneChing
01-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Gene I tried to text you, did you get it? I got new digits. I'll hit ya back soon.

Sow Choy
01-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Gene, thanks bro.. I tried reaching a few times in the past now I know why you haven't replied.. Thought you don't love me anymore lol

Jase,

Hello bro, glad you love Kung fu... I think most Kung fu people like the sport of MMA but not the bad attitudes displayed, but of course that is not all MMA...

Most people in Kung fu promote friendship, respect, etc... But unfortunately many are holding grudges and speaking bad of others behind their backs, it's everywhere even in the business world...

I personally don't judge styles or the sport, just people... Only people are arrogant or ignorant, not a style or sport... So I hope MMA doesn't get a bad reputation, but the UFC is a business and they want that drama to help make money...

So just be smart ;-)

GeneChing
01-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Gene, thanks bro.. I tried reaching a few times in the past now I know why you haven't replied.. Thought you don't love me anymore lol

I had to ditch my old burner cell to shake the man. ;)

lkfmdc
01-28-2015, 03:13 PM
I had to ditch my old burner cell to shake the man. ;)

Gene's not here man......

Jase01
01-28-2015, 06:52 PM

Jase,

Hello bro, glad you love Kung fu... I think most Kung fu people like the sport of MMA but not the bad attitudes displayed, but of course that is not all MMA...

Most people in Kung fu promote friendship, respect, etc... But unfortunately many are holding grudges and speaking bad of others behind their backs, it's everywhere even in the business world...

I personally don't judge styles or the sport, just people... Only people are arrogant or ignorant, not a style or sport... So I hope MMA doesn't get a bad reputation, but the UFC is a business and they want that drama to help make money...

So just be smart ;-)

I agree with what you said about the UFC drama, Sow Choy. And thanks a lot for your helpful insights. It definitely gave me more knowledge about Kung Fu and how practitioners differ from any other martial arts practitioners. I hope I will be given a chance to learn your Art hands on.

GeneChing
01-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Gene's not here man......
Oh you'd roll over on me in a second, lkfmdc. I can just see it now:

PD: We have a warrant for a Mr. Gene Ching
lkfmdc: His nacho stash is in his locker! I had nothing to do with it! I don't even know the guy!

:p

When the man comes a'knockin' then you know who your real friends are.

Sow Choy
01-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Jase01,

No problem bro, all martial artists should try being more helpful, at any moment there is a chance to grow and learn :-)
In forums especially there are a handful of people who are very good and can share insight, but there are also some who aren't comfortable in their own skin or think they are experts and puff their chest out lol, I just laugh... Nothing matters or should bother you... Your thoughts and feelings are all that matter, and when it comes to martial arts it is my advice to not let your skill grow your ego or put you in a comfort zone where you think you are good enough... You die when that happens...

Gene,

If PD tries to get you let Firefighter Joe handle it... Even cops need heroes lol (No offense to my brothers in blue ;-))

Jase01
01-29-2015, 07:04 PM
Jase01,

No problem bro, all martial artists should try being more helpful, at any moment there is a chance to grow and learn :-)
In forums especially there are a handful of people who are very good and can share insight, but there are also some who aren't comfortable in their own skin or think they are experts and puff their chest out lol, I just laugh... Nothing matters or should bother you... Your thoughts and feelings are all that matter, and when it comes to martial arts it is my advice to not let your skill grow your ego or put you in a comfort zone where you think you are good enough... You die when that happens...

Gene,

If PD tries to get you let Firefighter Joe handle it... Even cops need heroes lol (No offense to my brothers in blue ;-))

Hi Sow Choy,

Yeah you're right. But most people I personally know learned martial arts at their young age to stay out of trouble. That's a pretty good reason to learn Martial Arts.