PDA

View Full Version : Grand Master SB Moon Chul Sa jang Exercise video review

boxerbilly
01-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Hi Guys. I decided to post this in this forum as I believe Kuk Sool and Hapkido are close to one another I felt those here may appreciate it the most.

Not sure if any can recall GrandMaster S. B. Moon. He was in a couple of articles in the early 80's. I'll post one I recently found for reference to this review. He also sold 2 videos. One on Chul Sa Jang and the other a self defense video based on Kuk Sool.

I only purchased the exercise video.

On the video, it begins with basic warm ups that much if not all was in the ITF I studied. One difference was that towards the end of that section he teaches a couple of stretches as isometrics. These are not like Pavel and Kurtz. More visualization/belief type isometrics. I've never seen these before. I tried one of them and there may be merit to it.

Again, for the most part typical Korean MA warm up as I experienced. Right down to the standing on the stomach and partner stretches, etc.

Next GM Moon, demos 2 or 3 internal exercises. I believe this are not actually Chul Sa Jang and Iwas never taught these in ITF.

Then he demos the Chul Sa Jang exercises. Finally he does them with his class.

Anyone familiar with Harry Wongs Dynamic Tension/ Dynamic Strength video/book or Chinese Tension Sets
will understand how the Internal and Chul Sa Jang exercises are to be performed.

Instruction wise I give it a 7. GM Moon is a bit hard to understand and it is hard to figure out when one is to inhale and exhale at the proper points. This has to do with overdubbing timing being off unless I am just to dull to understand him. I personally am used to breath in on the pulls and exhale on the pushes.

As to the content. At this time I give it a 8 maybe 9. The video to dvd transfer is pretty good. Id give it an 8. There is some pixilation during the introduction but it hinders nothing and is clear before the actual video lessons begin. Maybe a minute in length. From that point on vid quality is more than clear and acceptable.
Just don't expect digital quality. This was shot in the early 80's on video. For that time it was probably a 10.

Now the price was ONLY 19.99. I should have bought the 2 video combination and saved 10 bucks. This is where I purchased the video.

http://www.karatevideo.net/

So, do I recommend it? YES! Its only 20 bucks. In fact, I think spend the other 10 and get the complete set. If your Hapkido why not? I am currently following Green Dragon tension sets so this one will not be begun by me for a awhile. But I will be including those mental isometric stretches at this time.

Now, this was purchased through paypal. I immediately got a confirmation of sale from them but not through the website. I was worried. I tried contacting the phone number. I think it was disconnected. But, Jack Hadley did reply back to his email. He has 2. And Jack and I wrote back and forth for a couple of days. Nice guy. He held my hand and I had the video in 6 days. PayPal sent the shipped confirmation to me on day 4. That's how he has it set up. I suggested he adds that to his site to prevent further uncertainty from future customers. But, I got the video in a week!

Jack, also sells videos from Master Q. He was a student of GM Moon for over a decade. Jack knows Master Q personally.They look interesting and may be useful for those studying Kuk Sool or Hapkido and perhaps any art?

During our conversations, I promised Jack if I liked the dvd I would give my review at places I post. I am honoring my word. Other than a handful of emails after I purchased. I never heard of Jack or his company prior to discovering GM Moons products are back. I always wanted them as a teen but after he was killed the ads disappeared. We have a second chance here to claim what we wanted as kids. I did and I still need to grab the other one soon.

Now I am a man of my word , the article I mentioned early on but you really need the video to help understand the movements and tension, etc.

http://chandaodiscussion.forumcity.c...98aac2b99137ae

Also, forgive my lack of professionalism in review writing. Never really have done so before. My best first attempt. I hope you find it useful. Also, I was not awe struck and blown away but I am glad I bought the video and for 20 dollars I can think of a lot of other things not worth that much sold for more.

Bill

boxerbilly
01-22-2015, 11:56 AM
I just found Master Q's Youtube page.

I bought this video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYdBv5s-CQ

This is the other one from Master Moon that can be bought separately or in combination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDSesUZTO7Q

And it looks like Master Q's vid promos. I like the Jang Bung promo. Looks like a nice work out. Think I will but that one too, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKuksulhapkido/videos

boxerbilly
01-22-2015, 11:57 AM
By the way, Master Moon was shot to death back in the early 80's. I forget the reason why but I recall the brief article in one of the mags.

boxerbilly
01-22-2015, 03:16 PM
I was informed that the link I posted of an old mag article is not linking through. I tried it myself and that seems to be the case.

Just google chul sa jang

the first return should be the site. This is the forum-chandaodiscussion.forumcity.com

Sorry.