PDA

View Full Version : what style is this?

charlie foot
02-15-2015, 02:14 AM
Hi,

can somebody tell me which style of gongfu has an advancing chain punch, but done with horizontal fists in a steamrolling motion? Think of a boxer's speedbag workout. Is this a Southern Mantis, or possibly Xing-i horse technique? I've seen it used in a fight, and it seemed quite natural.

Thank you

ShortBridge
02-15-2015, 08:47 AM
There is a crane technique like that. Hard to say based on your description if that's what you are referring to.

charlie foot
02-15-2015, 12:05 PM
could very well be. Like a Wing Chun chain punch or rolling punch, but done with the fists horizontal instead of vertical. Landing with the first 2 knuckles, like consecutive chopping fists.

hskwarrior
02-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Charlie Foot has chain punches too.

PalmStriker
02-15-2015, 08:47 PM
There is a crane technique like that. Hard to say based on your description if that's what you are referring to.
:) YongChun Southern Crane uses that formation, both in a flying or grounded attack. It is used to disrupt, making way for a power strike. I have only practiced it's use as a grounded attack (frontal) and also as a 360degree one foot grounded spinning disruption before strike. My son, who I used to use as a weight from the time he was a baby until he weighed 60 lbs to practice repetitive one leg outstretched (front) lifts said to me when he was 7 or so that he had been watching me work out for years and showed me one of my techniques I practiced daily. It was the pummeling fists (thread topic) that he chose to demonstrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5sbQDFqD2E&list=PL5A72C6AA27A6610B&index=9

charlie foot
02-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Charlie Foot has chain punches too.

Ha... Ask and you shall receive. Thanks Sifu Frank!!!! :D

charlie foot
02-16-2015, 05:16 AM
:) YongChun Southern Crane uses that formation, both in a flying or grounded attack. It is used to disrupt, making way for a power strike. I have only practiced it's use as a grounded attack (frontal) and also as a 360degree one foot grounded spinning disruption before strike. My son, who I used to use as a weight from the time he was a baby until he weighed 60 lbs to practice repetitive one leg outstretched (front) lifts said to me when he was 7 or so that he had been watching me work out for years and showed me one of my techniques I practiced daily. It was the pummeling fists (thread topic) that he chose to demonstrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5sbQDFqD2E&list=PL5A72C6AA27A6610B&index=9

Interesting... Is this found in Mantis and the other Hakka arts as well?

bawang
02-16-2015, 07:08 PM
every northern kung fu style has it and its called chain punch

PalmStriker
02-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Interesting... Is this found in Mantis and the other Hakka arts as well? :) Have not seen any video reference outside the link I posted. The rolling effect is generated from the waist and the emphasis is in the upward (4)strokes as in an uppercut. Chain punch is a different animal. In the WingChun SLT form I learned, the 3 punches at the end of the set are not targeting the same area on opponents torso and are all meant to dislodge with upward impact, unlike the chain-punch in this video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqB8YS4uV4

Neeros
02-17-2015, 01:24 AM
My Tiger-Crane form has this, it's called: Continuous Arrow Punching.

ShortBridge
02-17-2015, 10:45 AM
I study a bit of whooping crane, but am not an expert. I don't think of this technique as chain punching, though. It's more of a rolling bridge/disruption. It might look similar to a wing chun chain punch, but from an application standpoint, I liken it more to Kwan Sao.

MarathonTmatt
02-17-2015, 07:19 PM
In Hsing-I the basic horizontal punch is beng one of the 5 fundamental fist techniques- typically drilled in an advancing footwork step.

Bawang said it first Northern Longfist has this also- a horizontal punch hitting in succession- cha- to hit in succesion.

by a boxer's speedbag work i assume u mean the quick succession of over-hand punches- there is something like that also in longfist, another basic technique, except we never drilled this technique "in succession" on the bags in class. This technique works like a charm in sparring especially - a block/sweep and a rolling smash.

YouKnowWho
02-17-2015, 08:30 PM
can somebody tell me which style of gongfu has an advancing chain punch,

When I was 11 years old, my brother in law taught me an open hand form and a staff form. One day I got into a fight and my open hand form didn't help me much. After I told my fighting result to my brother in law, he stopped teaching me any more forms. For the following 3 years, I did nothing but "1 step 3 punches". IMO, the "1 step 3 punches" or "chain punches" has nothing to do with style but has to do with "self-training".

Today, I like to hit on my heavy bag as hard/fast as I can none stop for about 60 punches. Which style am I training? I truly don't know/care.

charlie foot
02-17-2015, 10:14 PM
When I was 11 years old, my brother in law taught me an open hand form and a staff form. One day I got into a fight and my open hand form didn't help me much. After I told my fighting result to my brother in law, he stopped teaching me any more forms. For the following 3 years, I did nothing but "1 step 3 punches". IMO, the "1 step 3 punches" or "chain punches" has nothing to do with style but has to do with "self-training".

Today, I like to hit on my heavy bag as hard/fast as I can none stop for about 60 punches. Which style am I training? I truly don't know/care.

Very interesting... I had a similar experience last year. Started walking up and down my room doing Sanchin with a tiger claw grab and phoenix eye punch. Was it Uechi? Wuzuquan? Didn't care....it's what my body felt like doing. :)

bawang
02-18-2015, 01:02 PM
it doesnt matter if its vertical or horizontal fist, its all called chain punching.

charlie foot
02-18-2015, 01:54 PM
In Hsing-I the basic horizontal punch is beng one of the 5 fundamental fist techniques- typically drilled in an advancing footwork step.

Bawang said it first Northern Longfist has this also- a horizontal punch hitting in succession- cha- to hit in succesion.

by a boxer's speedbag work i assume u mean the quick succession of over-hand punches

yes exactly this.. like a horse hitting with its hooves.

charlie foot
02-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Also noticed SPM and Bak Mei have a quick succession of phoenix eye fists. Can this be substituted with regular fists to produce the technique mentioned?

PalmStriker
02-22-2015, 02:04 PM
:) Different animals that look something alike: https://www.google.com/search?q=horses+and+zebras&biw=1425&bih=774&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xkPqVLU10JuhBJ6egrAP&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ

charlie foot
03-04-2015, 10:02 PM
7-Star Mantis, wtf???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMfL3QS6RQQ

boxerbilly
03-14-2015, 05:27 PM
The above video seems closer to the OP's answer to his question. But I thought this was good. And worth the add.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CS6tZuY0g

charlie foot
03-16-2015, 09:48 AM
The above video seems closer to the OP's answer to his question. But I thought this was good. And worth the add.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CS6tZuY0g

Does Bak Mei do chain punching with the horizontal fist though?

Maybe I should have phrased it better to begin with. So, at the risk of sounding redundant and annoying.....

Which arts do chain punching with the horizontal fist?

boxerbilly
03-17-2015, 12:03 PM
I'm at a disadvantage. I've never studied any Chinese arts.

Boxing. Wrestling. Tae Kwon Do. Isshin Ryu. Shaolin Kenpo in San Clemente. And some judo with a buddy that was a green belt. Mostly I was his throwing dummy and really only got good at one throw while sparring. At best I got better at making him have a harder time throwing me. And a larger amount of wasted time with combatives crap. I mastered none if that is even a possibility. More of a ******* of all trades.

So, I have to go off what you write and what I have seen and if that looks like the description.

I'm really out of my environment on this forum. I can only look at things from my perspective and experience and does it line up. That said, I love all the arts. They all have something to teach.

sanjuro_ronin
03-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Boxers don't actually "punch" the speed bag.

boxerbilly
03-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I did. But I know what you mean. It's not really used for punch training. Its used train you to keep your guard up, develop endurance and hand eye coordination. I never learned to trick out on it. I could get it going and all that. I spent 5 years getting my head banged. As a boxer I sucked. I lose depth perception with the glasses off so, I had to always advance, eat shots , corner and pound. Back then, I could do it. Not anymore! It can be a rough sport for those that can't stay on the outside. And I felt afraid almost always until the punches started. Then that just goes away. For those it does not, they don't come back after their first spar.

Lots of guys believe they can do it but from my experience if 10 show up , 1-2 stayed. Probably a lot like any other thing. Actually probably more like 20 and 1-2 stayed.

charlie foot
03-18-2015, 04:27 PM
http://www.resizemypicture.com/pictures//269550a0a9c705171426721436.png

boxerbilly
03-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Sorry Charlie.

Stamping punch. Is that where the fist is bent so it strikes sort of like a hammer head? Maybe it increases penetration or dig if you will. Ive done that on long range hooks on a bag and not actual usage. As I said previously. I had bad depth perception when I boxed. Ive worn glasses since I was 13. I needed to be on you. Ideally corner you. So that kept most everything I threw pretty tight. I don't think I could have pulled off any bent wrist punch that close and Im not sure I would have anyway.