PDA

View Full Version : Big Buddha Beads

wiz cool c
02-18-2015, 01:00 AM
The very thick beads worn around the neck of the orange clothed older monks, anyone know what purpose they serve?

boxerbilly
02-18-2015, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=wiz cool c;1280853]The very thick beads worn around the neck of the orange clothed older monks, anyone know what purpose they serve?[/QUOTE

Fashion.

wiz cool c
02-18-2015, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=wiz cool c;1280853]The very thick beads worn around the neck of the orange clothed older monks, anyone know what purpose they serve?[/QUOTE

Fashion.

really is that it? i got a pair recently, and was thinking they are too big to use as prayer beads,but they must have some purpose other than just fashion. I noticed they are heavy and if worn long enough give your neck a work out. Gene maybe you have some idea?

boxerbilly
02-18-2015, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=boxerbilly;1280862]

really is that it? i got a pair recently, and was thinking they are too big to use as prayer beads,but they must have some purpose other than just fashion. I noticed they are heavy and if worn long enough give your neck a work out. Gene maybe you have some idea?

I really do not know. I was actually thinking they may be used for counting as some use prayer beads. But if they are heavy and the cord is strong enough than maybe they could be a weapon?

GeneChing
02-18-2015, 10:24 AM
You mean the over-sized beads, like what MartialArtsMart.com offers here (http://www.martialartsmart.com/70-611.html), right? (I know, I know, currently out of stock :o we ship through Port of Oakland which is just a few miles north of us, and that's been an issue lately as I'm sure you know if you follow the news (http://www.wsj.com/articles/oakland-ports-cargo-volume-declined-in-january-amid-labor-dispute-1424203013))

To the best of my knowledge, over-sized beads were used primarily as altar offerings. They were not really meant to be worn by humans. They were used to adorn statues or to be sacred objects in their own right. Keep in mind that the foundation of the Buddhist robe is one of sacrificial poverty. Buddhist robes were sewn together by monks from discarded scraps of funeral shrouds. Originally, Buddhism wasn't into the bling. It opposes the tenets of non-materialism. Of course, Buddhism has come a long way since then and has many different interpretations. Once Imperial patronage entered the scene, jewel-adorned attire became part of the offerings, so nowadays, some Buddhist abbots have some pretty fine rags. But back to the over-sized beads, I imagine that they became attire through the popular representations in media like traditional opera and movies, the caricature of the big monk needed big beads. Someone like Friar Sand of Journey to the West (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?50181-Monkey-King) needs big fat beads.

The big beads don't really work that well as a weapon. I suppose you could make anything into a weapon - Jackie-Chan it, if you will - but having the beads be bigger doesn't really help that much. I have a steel set of Buddhist beads that I got at Shaolin many years ago. Now that's a weapon. :cool:

wiz cool c
02-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks Gene. So let me get this straight. Originally was created to be alter deities beads,then later when Buddhism started to become more trendy in society the monks started wearing them? Something like that?

LFJ
02-21-2015, 07:47 AM
There is a very rare set passed down in the small sect of Shi Zhenxu using the big beads as a weapon, known as Shaolin Luohan Fozhugong.

LFJ
02-21-2015, 07:56 AM
The big beads don't really work that well as a weapon. I suppose you could make anything into a weapon - Jackie-Chan it, if you will - but having the beads be bigger doesn't really help that much.

I disagree. They are one of the most practical "weapons" from Shaolin (the only one I continue to practice with), particularly because they aren't a weapon per se and can be worn anywhere and are easy to turn into a instant, non-cumbersome, fast-wielding weapon. Having the beads bigger certainly doesn't help the one getting clocked with them that much!

LFJ
02-21-2015, 08:01 AM
You can hardly tell how they come off... One moment it's being worn as an ordinary rosary necklace, the next moment it's in his hands and you don't want to be on the receiving end of it. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNr_qM3O19o

curenado
02-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Bigger beads are for really important prayers 'cause they're bigger....
and apparently for knocking teeth out more precisely

GeneChing
02-23-2015, 09:15 AM
I hadn't encountered that one before. Is it specifically for the big beads or is for any sized beads? If it is one that you continue to practice, we'd love to learn more. An article perhaps? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/about/guidelines.php)

You make a good point on the big beads, but I would still match my metal beads against big wooden beads. ;)

wiz cool c - Given the fundamental tenets of Buddhism, especially with in the minimalistic Chan school, big beads are paradoxical. China's take on it, particularly at modern Shaolin, has elements of what cultural anthropology call ludic recombination. The adornment of Chinese Buddhist abbots has gotten extreme at many temples - their fozhu are precious stone, their cassocks are highly decorated and bejeweled, their vajra staffs are works of art. I postulate that much of this descends from imperial support and as a reflection of medieval pop culture if you will, opera, folktales like Journey to the West (we all remember the value of Tripitika's cassock). The actual wearing of big beads is mostly limited to Chinese practitioners and the Chinese diaspora. I have seen big beads in Japanese culture, but they are used as altar objects, not worn. Japan's take on Chan, the Zen schools if you will, return to more minimalistic adornment. Shaolin is a really obtuse expression of Buddhism. That doesn't mean it's invalid by any means, but it is an outlier, and it's really shaping Chinese Buddhism in a dramatic way.

wiz cool c
02-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Yes I understand. A lot of the normal temples in china are treated like tourist attractions, for people to visit on a holiday light a little incense and take pictures of themselves in a temple.

LFJ
02-23-2015, 10:36 PM
I hadn't encountered that one before. Is it specifically for the big beads or is for any sized beads?

I was told the big beads were best, but he used regular sized beads to teach it. It actually works with any size, as long as you have a cord strong enough to withstand the sharp whipping actions. One set exploded and rained beads all over the room while we were training it, which led to an interesting Chan story time. :p

If it is one that you continue to practice, we'd love to learn more. An article perhaps? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/about/guidelines.php)

I'll see what I can put together. ;)

MightyB
02-24-2015, 07:49 AM
http://www.officialpsds.com/images/thumbs/Street-Fighter---Akuma-Front-psd29309.png

GeneChing
02-24-2015, 09:00 AM
...it's that intermittent reward that is the strongest reinforcement for behavior. At least, that's what Skinner sez...;)

I'll see what I can put together. ;)
That would be really cool, LFJ. I hope you see it through and let me know if you need any resources or anything to support you on this (although clearly, you are ahead of me on this one). I should clarify that I have seen written outlines of forms that use Fozhu in some Shaolin books, but haven't seen anyone still doing it until now. I should have figured someone was. I wonder if this is the same form, but I can't remember offhand where I've seen that. I could narrow that down to a few books, but I moved to smaller place and put the bulk of my library in storage, so I can't access it easily at this time. :(

I know what you mean about mala strings. I've had plenty break on me and I just wear them. FYI, my metal set of mala (it's a necklace plus a matching bracelet) has a thick wire as a string. It's heavy gauge, so heavy that it does not bend so easily.

Note that we haven't done a Shaolin Special this year. For many years running, the Shaolin Special fell on the MAY+JUNE issue, but this year, it hasn't. I put those together organically, not by design. When there's enough Shaolin articles, I publish one, and by auspicious coincidence, they usually come in a neat cluster. There will be a Songshan Shaolin article in the upcoming MAY+JUNE, but just the one.

wingchunner
04-27-2015, 04:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Vp50FjpRY

GeneChing
03-07-2018, 12:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnndi_8pLmg

These strike me as a bit ridiculous. If you're present when reciting the sutras and counting beads, you don't need an app to make it easier. That kind of defeats the purpose.

Thread: Big Buddha Beads (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68449-Big-Buddha-Beads)
Thread: Meditation Devices (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?14848-Meditation-Devices-What-Do-You-Use-(Pillows-Seats-Etc))

GeneChing
04-11-2018, 09:09 AM
This is somewhat random but it came up when discussing the topic with another researcher, so I figured I'd add it to these threads: Big Buddha Beads (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68449-Big-Buddha-Beads) & Shaolin Temple's official website (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?55527-Shaolin-Temple-s-official-website).

Buddhist Prayer beads - A sacred spiritual tool (http://www.shaolin.org.cn/templates/EN_T_newS_list/index.aspx?nodeid=297&page=ContentPage&contentid=9873)
发布日期:2013-05-13 字体大小:小 中 大
The overall purpose of Prayer beads [Chin.: shùzhū 数珠or Buddha beads [Chin.: Fózhū 佛珠], or Mindfulness beads [Chin.: niànzhū 念珠] is to create a sense of tranquility and inner-peace for not only the individual, but for the community as a whole. In reciting the prayer, a sense of peace will enter making an individual that much closer to reaching Enlightenment. But how can you handle Prayer Beads the proper way?

The origin of the prayer beads

The Lord Buddha designed them so that the most ignorant people could achieve correct practice and attitude because they could not master the storehouse of Buddhist knowledge, which was too difficult for them.
The Wuhuanzi sutra [Chin.: wúhuànzǐ 无患子] states:
'Once upon a time, there was a king of the kingdom of Magadha [Chin.: Mójiētuóguó 摩揭陀国] whose name was Vaidurya [Chin.: Fèiliúlíyē吠瑠璃耶 | Sansk.: Vaiḍūrya]. He spoke these words in sorrow to the Buddha:

“My country is so small. In recent years, there has been famine and pestilence throughout my country. As a result, all the people are distressed. All the time, I can't feel easy about that. We are in a painful position. The storehouse of the LAW is too profound and too vast to practice. So please teach me what the main point of the Law is.”

Then the Buddha instructed him:
“King, if you want to eliminate earthly desires and to put an end to their suffering, make a circular string of 108 beads made from the seeds of the Wuhuanzi Tree. Hold it always to yourself. Recite Triratna [Chin.: Sānbǎo三寳] The Three Jewels; 'Namo Fo [Hail to the Buddha -- Namo Fa [Hail to the Dharma] -- Namo Seng [Hail to the Sangha]'. Count one bead with each recitation.”

Visualization

The beads form a circle with two strands and three strands that end in tassels. These sets of two and three strands are equal distance and opposite from each other.
Where these strands are attached to the circle, there is a large bead. This large bead represents the Buddha. The Buddha bead frequently ends in a tassel which represents the roots of the lotus plant: a plant of obvious significance to Buddhists. Directly under the Buddha's bead, is a smaller one. This small bead represents the essential nature of the Law, which is absolute truth, which has existed since the beginning of time.
The Su Zhu consists by 108 beads [Chin.: bǎibāmóuní 百八牟尼 ] of the same size that represent 108 passions and delusions [Chin.: bǎibāfánnǎo百八煩惱] also called the 108 karmic bonds [Chin.: bǎibājiéyè百八結業]. You will also find four smaller beads, usually in different color. Two of them are opposite each other on either side, seven beads away from the end with the two strands of beads attached to the figure.
The second set is 14 beads beyond the first set on either side.
These small beads represent the Four virtues of the Buddha's life:
1. The True Self of the Buddha
2. The Purity of the Buddha
3. The Boundless Eternity of the Buddha, and
4. The Happiness of the Buddha.
The four strands of beads, which have four larger beads shaped like jars, represent the three thousand worlds in a momentary existence, and the mutual possession of all of them. These beads, then, represent the true and essential nature of all life, which is 3,000 worlds in a momentary existence, each one of which is a perfect manifestation of cause and effect.
These beads, shaped like jars, are called "The Jars" in which we store the benefits we have accumulated.
The remaining single strand of ten beads, are the counting beads or adjacent beads.

Using Shu Zhu

The Shu Zhu is traditionally held in the right hand and supported by the left hand at chest (heart) level using the thumb and index finger of the right hand to "pull" the bead toward the heart as the incantation [Chin.: tuóluóní 陀罗尼 | Sanskrit: dhāraṇī - religious chant promoting virtue and obstructing evil] is said. We should count the beads on only one side - going from the Buddha's bead and returning back again along the same side. Once the practitioner reaches the Buddha bead, the Shu Zhu is rotated (flipped) to return in the opposite direction—the Buddha bead is never crossed since this would be considered a sign of great disrespect —and the incantation is repeated. With each subsequent repetition of the incantation the adjacent bead or counting bead is brought forward to keep count of the number of times the incantation is said.
When not in use, Shu Zhu is frequently wrapped two to three times around the left wrist, stored in a special bag, or placed around one's neck with the Buddha bead at the front of the body.
It is considered inappropriate to have others use or handle one's Shu Zhu, to wear it while bathing or swimming, to place it on the floor, to keep it in a pocket below the waist, or to wear it while sleeping.
We should use our Prayer Beads with honest humility and with a sincere heart. They represent the Buddha.

By Shaolin Master Shi Yan Zhuo

Head Master of the Greek Shaolin Temple Cultural Center