PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

GeneChing
02-23-2015, 12:59 PM
May 2, 2015, Las Vegas

Pacquiao vs. Mayweather: It’s Real, Not Talk (http://www.wsj.com/articles/pacquiao-mayweather-its-real-not-talk-1424651178)
The fight of the century will actually happen during this century on May 2 in Las Vegas

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BT-AA082_GAY_M_20150222171236.jpg
Floyd Mayweather, who turns 38 on Tuesday, is 47-0 (26 KO). Photo: Getty Images
By Jason Gay
Updated Feb. 22, 2015 7:28 p.m. ET

Here it is—the big fight!—at long last, after years of skepticism, haggling, goading, taunting, self-inflicted snafus and exasperating near-misses. Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao will pull on the gloves and box—it feels weird to type that on the page—in person, in public, for real. The fight of the century will actually happen during this century on May 2 in Las Vegas, the garish American capital of Why Not.

Crazy, right?

So much energy had been expended complaining about Mayweather vs. Pacquiao’s failure to launch—condemning the players and the sport, trying to will the fight into existence—that it feels strange to shift the conversation to a boxing match itself. Mayweather vs. Pacquaio lived so long below a pessimistic cloud, a no-brainer dream showdown undone by reasonable and unreasonable demands, vanity, ego, and who knows what. Crankiness that this megafight hadn’t happened became an economy unto itself—The Fight That Wasn’t was bigger than any Fight That Was—and another piece of evidence in the thick case that Boxing Is Doomed. Now—suddenly—it’s on. The dream match-up is here, at 147 pounds, just a couple of months away. Wile E. Coyote has snared the roadrunner, and it is more than mildly stunning.

Naturally, because we are all impossible to please, the first reaction is to pooh-pooh the fight slightly, to point out that this really should have happened a half decade or so ago, when both men were in their early 30s and orbiting their physical primes. Pacquiao, 36, is coming off three straight victories, but before that, he suffered shocking back-to-back losses, including a frightening December 2012 knockout to Juan Manuel Marquez, which stripped away the Pac-Man’s merry aura of quickness and impenetrability. Mayweather turns 38 on Tuesday, and remains undefeated at 47-0, but his reputation has been eroded by troubling events like the 60 days he served of a 90-day sentence in 2012 after pleading guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery.

In boxing, the fighters remain top draws—the top two in the sport—but neither can claim to be fully the fighter he once was. In the time Mayweather and Pacquiao have danced around each other, they have stuck to a similar routine of fights with lesser known or well-travelled opponents (not Cotto again!). Even the matches with intrigue (Pacquiao-Marquez, Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez) could not compete with the fight the public desired. Mayweather and Pacquiao did their best to talk up their opponents, whoever they were, but the best competition was always going to be each other.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BT-AA081_GAY_M_20150222171025.jpg
Manny Pacquiao has a record of 57-5-2 (38 KO). He will meet Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on May 2. Photo: Getty Images

Denying the customer is no way to run a business, and as the years wore on without a Mayweather-Pacquiao collision, it was easy to be irritated with boxing. Why not do anything possible to make it happen? Mixed-martial arts is by no means a flawless operation, but the UFC has grown by serving its audience, making marquee fights happen (of course, it helps to have the UFC’s firm organizational control—and it should be pointed out that a UFC fighter can’t command anything resembling the reported $200 million plus payday Mayweather and Pacquiao are said to be splitting 60/40.)

As these latest negotiations wore on—it sparked up again during a meeting between Mayweather and Pacquiao at a Miami Heat game in January—there was the customary round of procrastination and doubt. It seemed close…but even people near the inside weren’t totally clear if and when it could be pulled off. When it was confirmed, there was something comically boxing-like that it was announced (by Mayweather on social media) after 5 p.m. ET on Friday—a tumbleweed time of the week governments and corporations use to dump bad news they want ignored.

And yet it doesn’t matter. It does not, not, not, not matter at all.

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao will be a spectacular hit, the biggest for boxing in many years. It does not matter if they announced it at 5 p.m. ET on social media or at 3 a.m. in a cave under the sea. It does not matter that they are older. Though both men are good promoters, they do not need to promote it, they do not need to say a word, they don’t need literary narration from Liev Schreiber, even though I love the literary narration from Liev Schreiber. Liev Schreiber could make a trip to the supermarket to buy an avocado sound like Ali-Frazier. They could hold this fight in a country barn, Madison Square Garden, Hinkle Fieldhouse or the Russian Continental Shelf—it will fill immediately (they’re holding it at the MGM Grand, where both boxers have fought plenty). When the pay per view price is announced—reports are it could be close to $100—there will be a round of moaning and groaning followed by a record-breaking ante up. You can book it.

They know this. They knew this. This is surely part of the reason why it took so long to get done, why HBO and Showtime were willing to collaborate and make it work. There is some cheery talk about how May 2 is going to be a sports day for the ages—that Saturday also features the Kentucky Derby, the NBA and NHL playoffs, the Red Sox and Yankees, and the final day of the NFL draft. Two things: one, I would not let my cat watch the final day of the NFL draft, and two, this fight will tower over everything that day. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is an epic for a sport that badly needs one, and we haven’t even mentioned the rematch, which you have to figure will be coming, because the cash is too cuckoo.

The consensus at the moment is that the advantage is Mayweather’s, that Pacquiao has too many miles and exposed vulnerabilities, and Mayweather’s defensive evasiveness will make him very difficult to beat. But Pacquiao has long wanted this fight and he’s still Manny Pacquiao and...you don’t really know, do you? You really don’t know. They don’t know. That’s the whole point, why this matters, why it mattered all along, May 2, Vegas, Mayweather and Pacquiao, goodness gracious, this crazy thing is actually going to happen.

Write to Jason Gay at Jason.Gay@wsj.com

Predictions?

sanjuro_ronin
02-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Predictions?

Pacquaio.

KO in the 7th or 8th.

Or Mayweather by decision.

mickey
02-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Greetings,

The fight should not happen. Both fighters do not have the sense to walk away. That is the real win.

Gene, the guy who wrote the article writes in your style. I thought you wrote it.

mickey

GeneChing
02-24-2015, 03:45 PM
It needs to happen just to bring some attention back to boxing. Boxing is a great spectator sport.

That being said, I'm leaning more towards Pacquiao. I haven't been following the sport lately so I'm not going to venture predicting the round like s_r. I hope the fight almost goes the distance - an early K.O. would be premature.

Gene, the guy who wrote the article writes in your style. I thought you wrote it.

srsly? or is this just a sideways way of calling me 'gay' (author's name).

at least i gotz style. thanks mickey. ;)

Jimbo
02-24-2015, 05:12 PM
I would love for Pacquiao to win by K.O. or any other way, but I doubt that'll happen. Unfortunately, I think Mayweather will win. But by decision.

mickey
02-24-2015, 05:15 PM
Hi Gene,

Definitely not calling you gay.

You do have a style, for sure. I really thought you wrote it.

mickey

dcrjradmonish
02-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Floyd wins bye tko 6 rounds. Manny will try to turn it into a brawl but floyd will use foot work and pick him apart cutting his face or eyes open.

GeneChing
02-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Hi Gene,

Definitely not calling you gay.

You do have a style, for sure. I really thought you wrote it.

Yeah, I know. It just struck me as funny. What's even funnier is that someone else thought some of the text for our upcoming Tiger Claw Elite Championships (http://www.tigerclawelite.com/) was written by me today too, which it wasn't. It's been a weird day that way.

GeneChing
03-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Does Mayweather have plans to enter the UFC (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?47075-MMA-amp-Drugs)? :p

Mayweather, Pacquiao camps at odds (http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=12518712&src=desktop&rand=ref%7E%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebo ok.com%22%7D&wjb)
Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
March 20, 2015

Manny Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz told ESPN.com on Thursday that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has declined to agree to terms for a penalty that would cost either man $5 million in the event of a failed drug test before or after their May 2 megafight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"Today we were informed that Mayweather turned down the request," Koncz said. "Manny had requested that there would be a reciprocal fine of $5 million for a failed drug test."

Koncz said that even though the agreements for the fight are signed, as is a separate agreement for the United States Anti-Doping Agency to oversee random blood and urine testing for the fight, they were still discussing terms for a substantial fine in the event of a dirty test. But Koncz said Mayweather attorney Jeremiah Reynolds sent a letter to Pacquiao attorney David Moroso on Thursday declining to enter into any agreements on a financial penalty for a failed drug test.

Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions and Mayweather's close adviser, said Koncz should have had those terms negotiated into the main contract.

"Michael Koncz is an idiot, and Manny Pacquiao should be ashamed to have him as his representative, in my opinion," Ellerbe told ESPN.com. "It's obvious he didn't read the contract. Why would he have his fighter sign something he was not happy with? The deal was negotiated up and down by his promoter [Bob Arum of Top Rank] on behalf of Manny with Floyd and Mayweather Promotions, and it's been well documented in the media for quite some time.

"If this moron didn't convey his fighter's wishes when the negotiation was going on, that's their problem. This is a lame-ass attempt to generate publicity."

Drug testing, of course, has been front and center throughout the five-year-plus saga to get boxing's most anticipated fight signed. When the sides first negotiated the bout in late 2009 and early 2010, they had agreed to all aspects of the deal except for the drug-testing protocol. Mayweather insisted on random, Olympic-style blood and urine testing, Pacquiao declined to agree to the specific form of drug testing, and the deal fell apart.

Not long after that, Pacquiao sued Mayweather for defamation and slander for saying that he had used performance-enhancing drugs, which Pacquiao has always denied. The case was ultimately settled out of court with Mayweather paying Pacquiao an undisclosed seven-figure sum.

"They have made derogatory statements for years about Manny [supposedly using PEDs], and now we challenged them by asking for the $5 million fine, and they refused to do it. It's disheartening," Koncz said.

Mayweather has required himself and his opponents to be tested by USADA for all of his bouts since 2010, while Pacquiao has sometimes used the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association to randomly test him and his opponent in recent years.

For the May 2 welterweight unification bout, expected to be the richest fight in boxing history, Pacquiao agreed to Mayweather's demand for USADA testing, and they signed contracts with the agency about three weeks ago.

When asked why Pacquiao didn't negotiate the fine into the master fight agreement, Koncz said he was concerned with getting the fight signed and did not want to do anything to jeopardize very delicate negotiations. Besides, he said, both camps knew they would have to sign a separate agreement with USADA to outline the specific terms of the testing.

"We were still discussing the penalty. We've been going back and forth about it for the past three or four weeks. We hoped that we could sign that agreement around the same time as the agreement with USADA," Koncz said. "[The Mayweather camp] is saying, 'Why wasn't it brought up for the main contract?' Why does it have to be brought up for the main contract? Everything in the main contract pertains to the co-promotion and the promoters. You can argue all day if [a penalty agreement] should be with the USADA contract or the main contract. What do you have to lose or gain in that argument? It's a simple thing -- if you fail, you pay the other guy $5 million. The issue is simple -- are you willing to agree to a penalty of $5 million? The drug-testing terms and any penalty, that's between the fighters not the promoters.

"We have no recourse. We can't force Floyd into something. But we gave them an opportunity to put their money where their mouth is and they wouldn't. I won't speculate why. To me there is no legitimate argument. We know we're clean. That's why Manny said he would pay $5 million if he tested dirty. Manny was surprised [Mayweather refused]. He can't figure out why they wouldn't agree to it when Floyd is always talking about cleaning up the sport of boxing."

Added Ellerbe: "If Manny Pacquiao tested positive, it is going to cost him a whole lot more than $5 million. All parties signed a contract agreeing to every term. Where has this idiot Koncz been? It sounds like he didn't read the documents they signed. No wonder why his fighter is always confused. It sounds like that idiot is suggesting there's a $5 million price tag if Manny comes up positive. That sounds suspicious. All I know is we welcome random testing as we always have."

Koncz said Pacquiao, who is training at trainer Freddie Roach's Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, California, has so far submitted to two random tests by USADA.

Ellerbe said he was unsure how many times Mayweather has been tested but said he has seen the specimen collectors around Mayweather's Las Vegas gym "three or four times" since he began training for the fight.

Vajramusti
03-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Does Mayweather have plans to enter the UFC (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?47075-MMA-amp-Drugs)? :p

Fights can be full of surprises. But Mayweather has far superior defense and he is bigger and stronger and smarter.

GeneChing
04-22-2015, 08:50 AM
The Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight is turning into a debacle (http://www.businessinsider.com/mayweather-pacquiao-tickets-2015-4)

TONY MANFRED
APR. 22, 2015, 10:40 AM

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are expected to split $300 million — here's where the money comes from

With 10 days to go until the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight, contracts aren't signed, tickets aren't on sale, and the fight that could save boxing is instead reflecting the flaws that continue to damage it.

While the two camps agreed to the fight in February, they've yet to sign the contract, ESPN's Darren Rovell reports.

As a result, tickets to both the fight at the MGM Grand and the closed-circuit viewings at MGM properties around Las Vegas haven't been released for sale.

Ticket sales are expected to generate $72 million, but a week and a half before the fight, no one has a ticket. The two sides reportedly made progress on Tuesday, but the contract remains unsigned as of Wednesday morning.

Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank, is blaming Mayweather Promotions, and vice versa.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum told Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports that Mayweather's adviser Al Haymon is responsible and that the delay is possibly a power play so Mayweather's camp can get more tickets to sell on the secondary market. This theory was seconded by Pacquiao's adviser Michael Koncz, who later told Iole, "This is Haymon and Haymon alone. He is trying to keep us from getting what we're due in the agreement we signed."

Mayweather Promotions didn't respond to requests for comment.

Arum told Rovell that the contract Mayweather Promotions sent Top Rank on April 15 was different from the term sheet they signed back in February. Top Rank wouldn't have control over how the fight is staged under the contract that's on the table, Arum said.

"They don't want us to have any say," Arum told ESPN. "So whether they came up with the deal between Mayweather and MGM before or after our agreement, they've committed fraud either way. That's what we're enmeshed in."

On Tuesday, Arum said his camp finally got the ticket manifest, which seems to have cooled tensions a bit.

Mayweather Promotions is the fight's lead promoter. The two sides also agreed to a 60-40 revenue split in favor of Mayweather. Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe told Rovell that Arum is trying to change the agreement at the last minute, hence the delay:

The bottom line is that Bob isn't willing to live with the agreement signed a couple months ago, which doesn't allow him to be in control. The only conspiracy, in my opinion, exists with him trying to conspire with his lawyers to change the terms of the agreement. I assure you that nothing underhanded is going on and the reference to this back alley stuff is ridiculous.

We've reached out to Top Rank for comment.

Oscar De La Hoya, whose Golden Boy Promotions used to promote Mayweather's fights, blamed Floyd's camp for the delay, which he called "shocking."

"This is mind-boggling. This is shocking, but at the same time, we understand what is going on," he told Iole. "This is the Al factor. This is what you get when you deal with Al."

De La Hoya taunted the fighters on Twitter, offering a free ticket to the Canelo Alvarez-James Kirkland to any fan who sent him a picture of their Mayweather-Pacquiao ticket, which don't exist:

scar De La Hoya ✔ @OscarDeLaHoya
Follow
Send me a pic. Of your MayPac ticket and I'll send you to the #CaneloKirkland fight for free. You have 24hrs.
8:58 PM - 20 Apr 2015

This is the closest anyone came:

Oscar Donis @OhDee92
@OscarDeLaHoya where's my ticket?! pic.twitter.com/hTbE2SEHxT
Oscar De La Hoya ✔ @OscarDeLaHoya
Follow
“@OhDee92: @OscarDeLaHoya where's my ticket?! pic.twitter.com/zWpEQa4kTz” hahaha good one!
9:06 PM - 20 Apr 2015
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDFmEI_UUAAQxZi.jpg

Oscar De La Hoya ✔ @OscarDeLaHoya
Follow
Sorry but the contest is over and nobody has #MayPac tickets as of today with less than two weeks to go. #FansFirst #wheresmyticket

The consensus in the boxing world is clear: This is a joke, even if it the ticket fiasco works itself out.

Iole, a Hall of Fame boxing writer, called it a "farce" and an "embarrassment."

"The biggest event in boxing history is rapidly turning into its greatest embarrassment," he wrote. "And that's saying something considering the long and mostly sordid history of professional boxing."

Rovell asked Arum about the possibility that the fight would fall through at the last minute, but Arum said that even in a worst-case scenario, the governor of Nevada could step in to force the gaming commission to put on the fight.

Other boxing commentators and fans are incredulous:

Steve Carp @stevecarprj
Follow
Your Megafight Monday scorecard: @BobArum pulls plug on @MannyPacquiao teleconference call; still no word on public sale of tix for May 2.
4:37 PM - 20 Apr 2015

Scott @scottchristBLH
Follow
Everyone involved in this fight is exhausting at this point. Everyone looks either podunk or like a swindler with the spotlight on.
8:59 PM - 21 Apr 2015

Scott @scottchristBLH
Follow
With the tickets issue for #MayPac, no fight has ever been *less* for the public as a live event.
8:46 AM - 20 Apr 2015

Even when the contract is signed, only a small percentage of tickets are expected to go on sale publicly. In addition, the pay-per-view will cost fans $99, making it the most expensive PPV fight ever.

Connor Gregiore of the secondary ticket seller Seat Geek told Business Insider that it's "very unusual" for tickets not to be available this close to an event.

"Haven't seen it before with any fight, let alone one of this magnitude," he said.

"People are hesitant to make a purchase on the resale market when there's all this news about the confusion and delays in the original sale and distribution of tickets," he told Business Insider. "We're starting to see activity pick up here over the past few days, but it's been a much slower trickle of purchases over the last few weeks."

MGM hasn't commented on the ticket situation this week, and didn't respond to a request for comment.

Ultimately, this is probably a fitting way for Pacquiao-Mayweather to unfold. This fight should have happened in 2009, when both fighters were at the peak of their powers. It didn't happen, and now we're seeing exactly why.

May be a bust...

sanjuro_ronin
04-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Just plain stupid.

GeneChing
04-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Just look at those prices....:eek:

Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao ticket sales to begin Thursday (http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12745951/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-contract-signed-ticket-sales-begin-thursday)
Dan Rafael, Boxing

Nine days before Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are scheduled to meet in boxing's richest fight, tickets for the arena and closed-circuit locations at MGM Resorts International properties along the Las Vegas Strip will finally go on sale Thursday after promoters Top Rank and Mayweather Promotions and the MGM signed the site contract.

"It was a battle, but finally everybody came together," Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

The problems among Mayweather Promotions, Top Rank and the MGM over ticket distribution to the May 2 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena threatened to blow up the long-anticipated bout between boxing's two best fighters that was five-plus years in the making.

The issues were ironed out during a Wednesday morning conference call involving Arum, Top Rank president Todd duBoef, Mayweather adviser Al Haymon and Leslie Moonves, the president and CEO of CBS Corp., which has a contract with Mayweather.

"Then they finally sent over a draft reflecting the deal we had agreed to, and it was absolutely 100 percent what we had agreed to," Arum said. "But it didn't come over until 6 p.m. [PT], and by 7 p.m. we had reviewed everything and signed."

Two hours later, the specifics were announced by news release.
Mayweather-Pacquiao A Hot Ticket

The Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao fight is looking to generate $74 million in live gate alone, part of a total package that could surpass $400 million.

Ticket price Number of tickets*
$10,000 1,100**
$7,500 2,500
$5,000 2,500
$3,500 4,000
$2,500 2,500
$1,500 2,500
* Approximate
** None available for public sale

Tickets for the MGM Grand Garden Arena are priced at $7,500, $5,000, $3,500, $2,500 and $1,500, not including applicable service charges, and will go on sale at 3 p.m. ET Thursday via Ticketmaster. They are limited to four per household. There are also $10,000 tickets, but they are not among the roughly 500 tickets being made available to the public out of the roughly 16,000 tickets.

The rest of the tickets are controlled by Mayweather Promotions, Top Rank and the MGM Grand, which will distribute the tickets -- which everyone has to pay for -- to their customers, the fighter camps, the fight sponsors, HBO and Showtime (who are putting on the joint pay-per-view), and the brokers with which they do business. A flood of tickets can be expected on the secondary market later Thursday.

Most fans who travel to Las Vegas to take in fight-week festivities will wind up watching at closed-circuit locations along the Strip. As many as 50,000 closed-circuit tickets will be available, but in Las Vegas, the closed-circuit viewing is exclusive to the various MGM-owned properties, which include the MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, Bellagio, Aria, Monte Carlo, Mirage, New York New York and Luxor, among others.

Closed-circuit tickets will be $150, not including handling fees, and will go on sale at 6 p.m. ET Thursday. Tickets will be available for purchase at the individual property's box office outlets, by phone or through Ticketmaster outlets. Closed-circuit tickets are limited to eight per household.

"This has been a very complex event, and we are pleased to have resolved the outstanding issues," said Richard Sturm, president of entertainment and sports for MGM Resorts International. "We look forward to delivering an incredible event weekend, like only Las Vegas can."

The MGM Grand Garden Arena is scaled to generate approximately $74 million in ticket sales, more than three times the gate record.

According to Arum, the hang-up in getting the deal signed was that there were a number of issues that were agreed to in the contracts between Mayweather Promotions and Top Rank, including the distribution of tickets. However, Arum said that when Top Rank received the site agreement -- another contract between Mayweather Promotions, Top Rank and the MGM Grand -- elements of it were contradictory to what had been agreed to between the promotional companies in their previously signed agreements with each other.

Arum said he felt Haymon and the MGM were conspiring against him and trying to take more tickets than they were entitled to under the deal that Top Rank and Mayweather Promotions signed in February.

"We were resolute that we were going to hold on to everything we had negotiated with Mayweather Promotions and they weren't going to use the relationship with MGM to deprive us of our rights," Arum said. "Ultimately, that's how the deal was made. We protected Manny and ourselves, and we weren't asking for anything we didn't negotiate. We had a deal with Mayweather Promotions, and then they used the MGM to try to erode our rights. And we stood steadfast and we wouldn't let that happen, and finally we made a deal, a correct deal, and the fight is going ahead. It's as simple as that.

"We weren't going to allow anyone to push us around. We didn't want more than we were entitled to or want anything extra. We wanted everyone to live up to the deal we made. I have to really commend my guys for standing firm, and I want to thank Les Moonves for being a rational person and poised through this whole thing and for not letting us be pushed around."

Moonves also was instrumental in bringing Arum and Haymon, bitter enemies, to the bargaining table to make the fight.

Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe did not respond to messages seeking comment.

When MMA can command ticket prices like this, it will have truly dethroned boxing. But for now, it's just more MMA blustering.

TaichiMantis
04-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Mayweather is a mysogonist thug! Even though he is from Grand Rapids, I hope he loses :mad:

GeneChing
04-30-2015, 12:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXhPXtUMtac

SoCo KungFu
04-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Just look at those prices....:eek:

When MMA can command ticket prices like this, it will have truly dethroned boxing. But for now, it's just more MMA blustering.

Why would it need to do that? Accessibility is what matters. And frankly, judging from the number of venues that normally broadcast, have dropped coverage of this fight due to these obscene prices (they're charging sports bars $100-200 per seat commercial rate), I'd say they're doing a pretty good job of continuing to dethrone themselves.

TaichiMantis
05-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Ha! Big protest against the thug may weather...he did the crimes but didn't do the time

mawali
05-01-2015, 08:48 PM
The more I hear about this, somehow I feel it is more of a con game of some kind.
Pay 99.99 and 1 minute later into the round, Pacquiao is out like a light!

Jimbo
05-02-2015, 07:10 AM
I doubt Mayweather will KO Pacquiao, but I do think he's going to win. Even though I don't like Mayweather, and would rather see Pacquiao win. Maybe if this fight happened 5 years ago Pacquiao would have a good chance of winning, but at this point I think it'll be Mayweather. I wonder if that's why Mayweather avoided him until now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

boxerbilly
05-02-2015, 12:43 PM
It will turn into a trilogy with a HUGE amount of cash made by all involved. If Mayweather is earning this much, just imagine how much is actually being made TOTAL.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/1/8530103/floyd-mayweather-fight-earnings-manny-pacquiao-pay-boxing-ppv-kentucky-derby

mawali
05-02-2015, 04:47 PM
I doubt Mayweather will KO Pacquiao, but I do think he's going to win. Even though I don't like Mayweather, and would rather see Pacquiao win. Maybe if this fight happened 5 years ago Pacquiao would have a good chance of winning, but at this point I think it'll be Mayweather. I wonder if that's why Mayweather avoided him until now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I am guessing that it is the merit of a thing that makes it valuable, or the accuracy of judgement as opposed to whether the thing agrees with me or it is to my liking! Jus' sayin':D

Jimbo
05-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Well, I had a feeling the fight wouldn't live up to the hype, and it turns out I was right. Neither one of the fighters would be too upset about that; the amount of money surrounding this fight is ridiculous. It's quite probable this will be another blow to boxing's overall popularity (no pun intended).

mig
05-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Well, I had a feeling the fight wouldn't live up to the hype, and it turns out I was right. Neither one of the fighters would be too upset about that; the amount of money surrounding this fight is ridiculous. It's quite probable this will be another blow to boxing's overall popularity (no pun intended).

How much money are we talking about?

Jimbo
05-03-2015, 10:19 AM
I believe Mayweather got at least 100 million dollars, probably more. I think the purse was to be split 60/40 between Mayweather and Pacquiao.

boxerbilly
05-03-2015, 11:20 AM
I believe Mayweather got at least 100 million dollars, probably more. I think the purse was to be split 60/40 between Mayweather and Pacquiao.

If we want to see real boxing/fights it needs to be a 95/5 split. None of the I make 150 million win, lose or draw. **** me, he already won! So does the loser when his is 20 million win, lose or draw.

Boxing died when they got rid of purses. The 30's-the late 50's had the best fighters as pro's. Boxers used to fight on a weekly basis winner take all aside from the loser getting enough to cover the bill's and a bit of pocket cash.

They don't fight for purses anymore regardless if they call them that. They have contracts that guarantee you get paid this much just for showing up. You can sit down first round and you still get that much. There is no hunger at those levels.

Like I said, this will probably be a trilogy approaching a half a billion+ by the end.

GeneChing
05-04-2015, 09:02 AM
If you wanna know the take, go to Forbes.com.

I'm amused by so many pundits claiming that the fight was so boring that it spells the end of boxing. It was one of those 'chess match' fights, at least what little I saw of it, not entertaining to the general public because it wasn't obvious. And in the end, they all made serious bank.

5/03/2015 @ 7:30AM
What's Next For Floyd Mayweather And Manny Pacquiao? (http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2015/05/03/whats-next-for-floyd-mayweather-and-manny-pacquiao/)
Kurt Badenhausen
Forbes Staff

Floyd Mayweather defeated Manny Pacquiao by unanimous decision Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Mayweather ran his record to 48-0 with the win, while Pacquiao fell to 57-6-2. The fight is expected to generate more than $400 million in total revenue, shattering the previous record of $200 million for Mayweather’s 2013 bout against Canelo Alvarez. So what’s next for Mayweather and Pacquiao?

First off, they are both about to get big deposits in their bank accounts. Top Rank’s Bob Arum says he’ll wire Pacquiao $50 million on Monday for his guarantee. Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe will only say that Mayweather’s guarantee will be “a lot more than the other guy.” Once all of the PPV receipts are counted, the fighters are expected to split as much as $300 million with 60-40 split in favor of Mayweather.

http://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/472025478/640x0.jpg?fit=scale
Mayweather hugs Pacquiao after defeating him in their welterweight unification bout Saturday night. (Photo: JOHN GURZINSKI/AFP/Getty Images)

Rematch? Forget it. It took the two sides, HBO/Bob Arum/Pacquiao and Showtime/Al Haymon/Mayweather, nearly six years to make this fight happen and they nearly killed each other trying to work together since the fight was announced in February. Fans would feel suckered as well. Saturday’s fight was dubbed “boring” by many, but longtime boxing fans recognize that Mayweather fights are always a clinic in defense and rarely exciting. Pacquiao’s post-fight disclosure of a shoulder injury during training will provide reason for a rematch for a minor faction, but not enough for Mayweather-Pacquiao II.

Retirement? Unlikely for both. Mayweather, 38, has one fight left in the blockbuster six fight deal he signed with Showtime in 2013. Mayweather earned $170 million for the first four fights in the deal and likely matched that total Saturday. He insists he will be back in the ring to fulfill his contract in September and then walk away. September would mark six fights in less than 30 months for Mayweather. He only fought six times total in the previous six years before that. Many think Mayweather won’t be able to resist one more fight after September to reach 50-0 and surpass the legendary Rocky Marciano and his 49-0 record. And as San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich eloquently put it after his own retirement questions Saturday night after the Spurs Game 7 loss, “The paycheck’s pretty good.”

Pacquiao at 36 is also near the end of the line having taken much more punishment in his 65 pro fights than Mayweather ever did. In a post-fight interview, Pacquiao said he was headed away on vacation and then would let Top Rank’s Arum figure out his fight future. Arum has made a big push in China, which he views as an untapped goldmine. Pacquiao has fought two of his last four fights in the gambling mecca of Macau and Arum wants Pacquiao fighting in Asia once a year. Look for Pacquiao to fight in November this year in Macau. The PPV numbers for Pacquiao’s Macau fights have been disappointing, but Pacquiao benefits from the 12% top income tax rate compared to 39.6% in the U.S.

How about opponents? It will be hard for both Mayweather and Pacquiao to find opponents that will get fans excited after the star-studded affair Saturday night. There will be talk of moving down to 140 pounds for Pacquiao. Lucas Matthysse is a possibility at 140 after Matthysse won a bruising battle with Ruslan Provodnikov last month. Don’t rule another go with Juan Manuel Marquez. Their quartet of fights is the stuff of legends with Pacquiao holding a 2-1-1 edge, but Marquez floored Pacquiao in their last bout in 2012.

As for Mayweather, Keith Thurman (25-0) and Amir Khan (30-3) will be two of the most prominent names thrown around for Mayweather. Britain’s Khan is popular in Europe and was the people’s choice when Mayweather left his next opponent up to a fan vote in early 2014. Mayweather overruled them and set up a bout with Argentine Marcos Maidana instead. But Khan would struggle to give Mayweather a competitive fight. Roy Jones Jr. endorsed Thurman as an opponent after Saturday’s bout. “Keith Thurman could provide some real action in a fight with Floyd Mayweather,” said Jones, who pointed to Thurman’s size as a major reason. Teddy Atlas suggested Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin, or Triple G as he’s known. Mayweather is too smart to get in the ring with GGG, who has the highest knockout rate in middleweight championship history at over 90%.

Mayweather and Pacquiao will both be back in the ring again. They will both be a little closer to the end and a lot richer after their own, long-anticipated matchup.

Gotta give props to our two members here who called it:

Or Mayweather by decision.

Unfortunately, I think Mayweather will win. But by decision.

boxerbilly
05-04-2015, 02:02 PM
If you wanna know the take, go to Forbes.com.

I'm amused by so many pundits claiming that the fight was so boring that it spells the end of boxing. It was one of those 'chess match' fights, at least what little I saw of it, not entertaining to the general public because it wasn't obvious. And in the end, they all made serious bank.

Gotta give props to our two members here who called it:

Well I guess we can call that half a billion and in that case 2 more may bring that up to 2 billion total.

sanjuro_ronin
05-05-2015, 07:32 AM
It was what it was expected to be.
Perhaps IF Pacquiao was 100% or they were both younger it MAY have been different...
Doesn't matter really since they BOTH got what they wanted.

GeneChing
05-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Given the payout, I'm not surprised.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. texts he'll fight Manny Pacquiao again next year (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-rematch-20150505-story.html)

http://www.trbimg.com/img-554628ec/turbine/la-mannyfloyd-la0028545443-20150502/750/750x422
Floyd Mayweather Jr. celebrates after defeating Manny Pacquiao for the WBC welterweight championship Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao

By Chuck Schilken contact the reporter

Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Manny Pacquaio: 'I will fight him in a year after his surgery'

So there might be a Fight of the Century II after all.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith via text Tuesday that that he would be willing to fight Manny Pacquiao again rather than retire in September, as he has stated numerous times he plans to do.

"I will fight him in a year after his surgery," Mayweather said of Pacquiao in the text.

Mayweather improved to 48-0 with a unanimous decision over Pacquiao in a much-hyped fight Saturday night.

Pacquiao reported pain in his right shoulder after an April 4 sparring session, then was examined two days later, where a tear was found below the rotator cuff. His manager told The Times on Monday that Pacquiao would undergo surgery on the injury this week in Los Angeles.

The typical recovery time for such surgery is nine to 12 months. Plus, the Nevada Athletic Commission announced Monday that the state attorney's general's office will be looking into whether Pacquiao properly disclosed the injury before the fight.

In other words, Pacquiao might be facing a fine or even a suspension.

Still, if the text is any indication, Mayweather seems willing to wait.

Floyd Mayweather willing to fight Manny Pacquiao again (http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12824362/floyd-mayweather-says-willing-fight-manny-pacquiao-again)
ESPN.com news services

Floyd Mayweather told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith in a text Tuesday that he would be open to a rematch after Manny Pacquiao recovers from shoulder surgery to repair a tear in his rotator cuff.

"I will fight him in a year after his surgery," Mayweather texted Smith on the heels of his unanimous decision over Pacquiao in the richest fight ever.

Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache told ESPN.com on Monday that Pacquiao will have surgery later this week to repair a "significant tear" in his rotator cuff, which he suffered prior to the fight. The surgery will sideline the boxer for at least nine to 12 months.

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0504%2Fbox_g_manpaqts2_129 6x729.jpg&w=267
Manny Pacquiao, right, will have surgery this week to repair a "significant tear" of his right rotator cuff and will miss nine to 12 months. Al Bello/Getty Images

The 38-year-old Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) has one fight remaining on his Showtime contract and has stated several times that he intends to retire after a final fight in September, although he admitted during Saturday's postfight news conference that he is "human" and occasionally contradicts himself.

And when asked about his desire to move past legendary former heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano -- who achieved a 49-0 record with 43 KOs, Mayweather said he didn't get into the sport to "outdo" anyone. He also casually mentioned Monday he would vacate the world titles he currently holds.

The MGM has plans to open a new MGM Grand Arena in April 2016, which just happens to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Marciano's retirement.

But surgery may not be the only hurdle for Pacquiao, who could face a possible fine or suspension from Nevada boxing officials for failing to disclose his shoulder injury on a form prior to Friday's weigh-in.

"It's not just the fact he didn't fill out the question completely, it was that he wasn't honest and they didn't tell us a month ago when he had the shoulder injury," Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett said. "They're not obligated to, but two hours before the fight they wanted a shot that's a painkiller, in essence. That put us in a very precarious position."

Said commission chairman Francisco Aguilar: "We will gather all the facts and follow the circumstances. At some point we will have some discussion. As a licensee of the commission you want to make sure fighters are giving you up-to-date information."

Pacquiao's promoter put out a statement on behalf of the fighter late Monday afternoon saying that the injury was disclosed to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which approved the use of an anti-inflammatory shot for the fight. But USADA was only a third party to the fight, charged only with testing the fighters for banned substances in training and the night of the bout.

"We had no medical information, no MRIs, no documents," said Travis Tygart, who heads the USADA. "It was not an anti-doping issue. The real question is why his camp checked 'no' on the disclosure. Either they made a terrible mistake to not follow the rules or they were trying not to give information to the other side. I'm not sure there's a middle ground."

Tygart said his agency, which was hired by promoters to oversee drug testing for the bout, was contacted April 7 asking about the use of various substances and whether they were allowed under anti-doping rules. He said there was another call 10 days later asking about using a different substance, again for what the USADA was told was an unspecified shoulder problem.

A little more than two hours before the fight, Pacquiao's corner asked Nevada regulators whether he could be given a shot of Toradol, an anti-inflammatory. Aguilar denied it, saying the commission had no previous indication that there was an injury and could not allow a shot in fairness to the Mayweather camp.

"Our job is to protect the health and safety of fighters and the integrity of the sport," Aguilar said. "We expect our fighters to be forthright."

sanjuro_ronin
05-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Fighters train through injuries all the time, even more so when a huge fight is coming up.
He may not have been 100% but after all these years waiting, no one was gonna punk out short of an injury that would FORCE them to bow out.

GeneChing
05-05-2015, 01:49 PM
...but there has never been this much money on the table....ever.

Pacquiao’s Next Fight Looms in Vegas Court Over Bum Shoulder (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-05/manny-pacquiao-sued-for-not-disclosing-injury-prior-to-fight)
by Edvard Pettersson
11:30 AM PDT May 5, 2015

http://media.gotraffic.net/images/iEGjdF0GaIes/v5/1200x-1.jpg
Manny Pacquiao throws a punch at Floyd Mayweather during their bout in Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 2, 2015. Photographer: John Gurzinski/AFP via Getty Images

Manny Pacquiao went into the richest match in boxing history without telling fans and gamblers he had a bum shoulder. Now, he faces a fight in court.

Two Nevada residents sued the boxer and a fight promoter saying everyone who bought a ticket, paid as much as $99.95 to watch it on television or bet on Pacquiao’s bout with Floyd Mayweather was ripped off. The two residents seek to represent all ticket and pay-per-view buyers and bettors.

Pacquiao, 36, was set to receive about 40 percent of the $300 million that the fight was expected to generate in revenue. He lost the fight in a 12-round decision and later revealed he suffered a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder during training.
Top Rank

Pacquiao and Top Rank Inc., one of the promoters of the “Fight of the Century,” had a duty to disclose the injury to the Nevada State Athletic Commission and failed to do so until shortly before the start of the match, according to the complaint filed Tuesday in Las Vegas federal court.

Top Rank said in a statement posted on its website Monday that Pacquiao’s advisers had notified the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of the injury and got approval from the agency for him to use Toradol, a non-steroid anti-inflammatory as treatment.

The Nevada Commission stopped the treatment shortly before the fight because, according to Top Rank’s statement, it was unaware of the injury. Pacquiao went ahead with the fight even though his shoulder wasn’t “perfect,” according to the promoter’s statement.

Lee Samuels, a spokesman for Las Vegas-based Top Rank had no immediate comment on the lawsuit.

Pacquiao has shoulder surgery scheduled for this week, ESPN reported Monday.

The case is Vanel v. Pacquiao, 15-00842, U.S. District Court, District of Nevada (Las Vegas).

GeneChing
05-13-2015, 10:57 AM
“announcement for continuing my career or announcement for retirement.”

Injured Manny Pacquiao returns to the Philippines (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/injured-pacquiao-returns-a-hero-to-philippines/2015/05/12/32647e9c-f91e-11e4-a47c-e56f4db884ed_story.html)

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/Wires/Online/2015-05-13/AP/Images/PhilippinesMannyPacquiao-0739e.jpg?uuid=MTvZyvkeEeSkfOVvTbiE7Q
Filipino boxer and Congressman Manny Pacquiao poses for the media following a news conference upon arrival Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport at suburban Pasay city south of Manila, Philippines. Pacquiao, who was defeated by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in their welterweight fight in Las Vegas May 2, faces lawsuits allegedly for not disclosing his shoulder injury before the fight. (Bullit Marquez/Associated Press)
By Oliver Teves | AP May 13 at 7:42 AM

MANILA, Philippines — Manny Pacquiao returned home to the Philippines on Wednesday nursing his right shoulder after surgery and weighing up whether to retire or push for a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Pacquiao, wearing a black shoulder brace and arm sling, said his immediate priorities were recuperating from surgery and his duties as congressman and family man. He said he injured his shoulder during training for the May 2 fight which Mayweather won on a unanimous decision.

Pacquiao and his family arrived early Wednesday and rested briefly in his mansion in the Forbes Park residential enclave of Manila. He later joined fans, supporters and politicians for breakfast at a nearby hotel before a motorcade around the Philippine capital.

Thousands lined the streets as his motorcade passed, waving, applauding and taking pictures of the 36-year-old former champion.

Sidewalk vendor Mary Jean Borgonia held up a white shirt with the words “Long Live, Manny” in the Filipino language printed in red letters.

“Even if he lost, for us he is still a winner,” Borgonia said.

Pacquiao said when he recovers he’ll make an “announcement for continuing my career or announcement for retirement.”

The boxer is also going into the last year of his current term as congressman of southern Sarangani province. He did not indicate his plans for next year’s elections, which could include running for his last term as congressman, or provincial governor or senator.

“I know what you are thinking, that hopefully there would be a rematch. I like that. I want that,” Pacquiao told the hotel crowd. “But for the moment, I am thinking of focusing on this shoulder, on my work and my family.”

Pacquiao later visited President Benigno Aquino III, who congratulated him “for bringing honor to the country by fighting with courage and skill,” presidential spokesman Herminio Coloma said.

Coloma said Pacquiao gave Aquino two black jackets as souvenirs from the fight. Pacquiao also asked whether he and the president, who is a gun enthusiast, could again practice shooting at a firing range after he recovers from surgery in about six months, and the president nodded in approval, Coloma said.

Pacquiao lost the 12-round “Fight of the Century” and is facing several legal suits in the United States seeking damages over the non-disclosure of his shoulder injury before the bout.

The fight broke the pay-per-view record with 4.4 million buys that generated more than $400 million in revenue. With a live gate of nearly $72 million and other revenue, the bout grossed more than $600 million.

Mayweather was guaranteed 60 percent of the net revenue to the promotion and Pacquiao the remaining 40 percent.

In an interview with Philippine broadcaster ABS-CBN, Pacquiao said he reviewed a video of the fight several times and believed he won, though narrowly, against Mayweather.

“I reviewed it repeatedly. I scored myself,” Pacquiao said. “I was ahead two points.”

He said, however, he respected the judges’ decision.

“Enjoy your victory, you deserve it,” he said in a message to Mayweather.

The Bible-quoting boxer said he was still a winner because “this is the first time that he (Mayweather) is thanking God before and after the fight.”

Asked to comment on the pay-per-view record, Pacquiao said he was “not after the money.”

“What I am looking for is how to give enjoyment or a good fight to the fans,” he said.

GeneChing
05-19-2015, 11:50 AM
After Historic Fight, Pacquiao Volunteered At Las Vegas Orphanage, While Mayweather Spent $1.2 Million On Champagne. Read The Inspiring Story Of The Real Winner. (http://www.eyeonthenation.com/historic-fight-pacquiao-volunteered-las-vegas-orphanage-mayweather-spent-1-2-million-champagne-read-inspiring-story-real-winner-2/)
In Sports May 16, 2015 Jack Washington

http://www.eyeonthenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/pacquiao-vs-mayweather-690x450.jpg

Pacquaio, 36, didn’t stay for the festivities after his grueling twelve round battle with Floyd Mayweather. Bruised, but not broken, he had another fight on the line. It wasn’t covered by HBO. It wasn’t worth the record-breaking $300 million the pay-per-view event generated.
It was worth much more.
Changing into a crisp blue blazer and gray slacks, he’s snuck out the back of MGM Grand Garden Arena by his assistant David Sisson and into what would have been an inconspicuous Ford sedan, were it not for the dozens of Ferraris and Lamborghinis from the Mayweather entourage cluttering the lot.
Sitting back and wiping the still beading sweat from his forehead, he rubs a yellow button pinned to his lapel with the words “BELIEVE IN U” as Sisson navigates the packed Las Vegas streets.
“It breaks my heart that all people talked about was the money,” Pacquiao says, looking out the window to the neon lights left behind as Sisson picks up on the freeway. “I don’t just fight for the money. It was different when I was young and my family was still poor. But now, as I got older, I learned there’s more to life than wealth.”

http://www.eyeonthenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/mayweather-cash-pile-224x300.jpg
Floyd Mayweather at the casino
Just as he finishes, his phone vibrates. It’s a snapchat from Floyd Mayweather.
“Where u at Pac?” the caption reads, over a photo of Mayweather posing with several revealingly dressed blondes against a backdrop of drunken partiers, as if the whole city were there. You can almost hear the celebration before Pacquiao puts his phone away and looks out the window again.
“People today think life is about this,” he says, pointing toward the neon lit towers still peeking out from the Vegas strip that are like watchmen over the valley.
“In 1995, before my first big professional fight, my close friend Eugene Barutag was also an up-and-coming boxer. He said, ‘Manny, don’t you ever forget where you came from. If you forget that, it doesn’t matter how much you win. If you lose where you come from, you lose it all.’”
“That year his life was taken during a match. Every time I fight I wish I could go back in time to show him that I didn’t change.”
Sisson drives along the sand bordered road. There are few lights other than the oncoming traffic heading back into the city. The neon is far away now. The hotel towers once vainly standing fade into the night sky. The only gambling here is for the future of America’s youth.
Two lamps on the sides of the gate to St. Jude’s Ranch for Children seem to beckon the car from the darkness. From the chapel emerge small lights, frantically flashing and moving closer as Sisson parks the sedan near some desert plants. The rapid patter of small feet on the ground break up the quiet of the night as children rush up to the rear door, watching Pacquiao step out and pop open the trunk.
“It’s Manny!” the children shout.
Pacquiao’s smile shines from their flashlights as he and Sisson unpack boxes and set them on the ground.
You would think he were an ordinary delivery-man on route the way he casually carries the boxes into the chapel. As he walks back and forth to the trunk until it is empty, the mob of children follow him and wonder aloud what he’s brought.
“Maybe it’s some gloves,” says one boy, punching the air.
“I bet it’s jumping rope,” says one girl. “I love skipping. I can skip faster than Manny.” She hops giddily, kicking up a cloud of sand.
“Janice, you can skip later,” says Pacquiao, waving the cloud away. “Let’s get all this stuff inside first. It’s too dark to play outside.”
continued next post

GeneChing
05-19-2015, 11:51 AM
http://www.eyeonthenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/pacquiao-and-kids-300x261.jpg
Family is crucial to Pacquiao
The children pick up loose objects that have fallen onto the ground – boxing speed bags, boots, and gloves – as Pacquiao leads them into the chapel. Sisson helps one boy struggling to carry a large medicine ball straggling behind.
Inside the chapel, children find space anywhere they can, fascinated with their new toys.
“Show us how to play with this one, Manny,” says one boy holding up a small punching bag.
“Be careful with that, Stephen,” warns one of the orphanage directors.
But it’s hardly the time for caution. Pacquiao will be gone by sunrise to catch a flight to New York and from there one to the Philippines. With only hours left before his departure, he makes the rounds among the groups of children, showing them how to use the equipment that is at times comically large for their little hands and feet.
“Last time he almost missed his flight back,” says Marlene, a director at St. Jude’s. A crowd has gathered around Pacquiao who’s teaching the children how to mount the punching bag on a low hanging chapel beam. “The kids here look up to him, but if we don’t step in, they’ll never let him leave.”
“It’s been like that since 2001, when he first visited us. He wasn’t as famous then but he brightened the kids’ lives all the same and promised he’d return whenever he fought in Las Vegas.”
Lucky for St. Jude’s, Pacquiao has been back to fight more than a dozen times following his big break in 2001, when he beat then super-bantamweight champion Lehlohonolo “Hands of Stone” Ledwaba. He’s watched the children of St. Jude’s grow up to be confident young men and women who show the world the difference a positive role model makes.
The crowd cheers as Pacquiao shuffles his feet and launches a flurry of punches on the new bag. He steps aside to let the children try, correcting their form after each one tires: a hand raised so that the head is always protected, a chin tucked so that the blow is always minimized. His ‘students’ study his movements reverently, practicing when he individually tutors the slow learners. Perhaps it’s these moments of patience that reflect a sense of empathy learned only through hardship. Dropping out of school at age 14 to support his mother and family, and turning professional at age 16, Pacquiao had to fight to survive, literally.

http://www.eyeonthenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/young-pac-300x264.jpg
A young Pacquiao
But the children seem to take his maturity and understanding for granted, not realizing how rarely it’s found in star athletes and celebrities today. Pacquiao seems to prefer it that way. He talks and moves as if he were merely resuming yesterday’s lesson that ran out of time. And to them, this is what a hero looks like: the unity of expectation and reality, an extraordinary man who is at all times his humble and gracious self.
The everyday character of his visit extends to the directors and staff. No one asks for or takes a selfie with the legend in their midst. They calmly savor the moment as they fasten gloves and adjust headbands for children eager to resume playing.
Although Sisson smiles when a group of kids show off their boxing combos to him in unison, he remains focused on Pacquiao’s itinerary. He waves at Pacquiao and points to his watch. It’s time.
Pacquiao tries to walk to Sisson but is held back. Two children hanging on to his legs insist he stays a little longer. One of the directors intervenes and asks the two children if they could show her some of the moves they learned, saying she is looking for some bodyguards. They let Pacquiao go and proudly snap into the routine they were just taught.
Sisson runs through the schedule with Pacquiao: meeting with sponsors, radio talk shows, press conferences. If they want to get through it all, they have to leave, now.
Pacquiao nods and turns back to the crowd of children.
“Kids,” he says, “I have to get going.”
“Awwww,” the children lament.
“One more hour,” pleads a small voice from the back of the chapel.
“I’m sorry, but David and I have to leave. But I will be back. Train hard and behave, OK?”
The children silently nod their heads.
“Alright,” says Pacquiao. “One last group hug.”
The chapel is filled with the clatter of bare feet on dry wood as the children rush to him. To escape their embrace might take another hour were it not for Sisson’s firm yet understanding reminder: “Manny, the contract says we have to arrive early at the interview to get ready. And I don’t think there’s room on the plane for everyone here.”
Pacquiao pats the children on their shoulders then slips through a gap in the mob. He and Sisson shake the hands of the directors.
As the two get into the car, the children line up near the gate and wave goodbye. The directors hold the hands of some of the children who try to get closer as if they could climb aboard. Pacquiao rolls down the window and sticks his head out to wave back. He waves until they can no longer be seen through the cloud of dust glowing red from the car’s tail lights.
Pacquiao settles back in his seat but before he can close his eyes, his phone vibrates. It’s a tweet from Floyd Mayweather: “$1.2mil on Armand de Brignac #TheMoneyTeam #WinnersWinLosersHaveExcuses”. Pacquiao shakes his head. Armand de Brignac champagne can cost over $100,000 per bottle.
Pacquiao swipes away from the tweet to a photo of him and the children at St. Jude’s. He’s crouching down in the middle, giving the V-for-victory sign with his fingers as the children on both sides clap or have their hands high in the air.
Pacquiao smiles and puts his phone away. It’s his first chance to rest after his match. But in the fight for America’s youth, he still has many rounds left, rounds that you might think he has to fight by himself. When his fellow athletes are more concerned with making the cover of Sports Illustrated or obtaining endorsements for fad products, a selfless star such as Pacquiao reminds us of the power sport has to change lives.
They arrive at the airport and unpack the luggage from the car. Pacquiao looks back down the road and says: “Habang may buhay, may pag-asa.” It’s a fitting Filipino proverb. As long as there is still life, there still lies hope.
And with Pacquiao in their corner, the children of St. Jude’s will have all the hope they need to succeed. Together, they’ll take down the toughest opponents the world throws at them. Together, they’ll have what it takes to go the distance. For one round and for the rest of their lives.

if only you had won the fight....

GeneChing
09-11-2017, 08:00 AM
SEPTEMBER 08, 2017 3:11pm PT by Ashley Cullins
Hollywood Docket: 'Kickboxer' Trial; Pacquaio Lawsuit Knock-out; Filmchella Fight (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/hollywood-docket-kickboxer-trial-pacquaio-lawsuit-knock-filmchella-fight-1036333)

http://cdn2.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/nfe_square_383x383/2016/03/gettyimages-92702548.jpg
Lester Cohen/WireImage

A roundup of entertainment law news.

Movie mogul Ted Field is set to stand trial next week in a legal fight over a $500,000 loan he solicited for a remake of Kickboxer, the 1989 film starring Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Central Films Media, run by Fernando Sulichin (Snowden), sued Field and Radar Pictures in 2015, and early this year added fraud claims, alleging that it issued a bridge loan for the film after Field was "extremely aggressive" in soliciting the money and that he breached their agreement by failing to repay the loan on time.

In a trial brief filed Thursday, Central Films attorney Mathew Rosengart calls field a "self-proclaimed former billionaire, but now serial fraudster."

During Field's deposition, which Rosengart notes the court had to compel, he testified that there was still $375,000 outstanding on the loan. The filing also notes that the mogul's attorney Jonathan Freund told The Hollywood Reporter in January that "[Sulichin] is going to get paid. The film was profitable."

On Friday, Freund told THR "the contractual obligation has been fully satisfied."

The initial loan aside, Central Films is also pursuing punitive damages of at least $1.5 million, arguing that Field has been defrauding people with malice. "Field's scheme to bilk investors with callous disregard for their rights is part of a pattern, and the time has come for Field and his company Radar Pictures ... to be punished for their misconduct," Rosengart writes.

Central Films is also asking the court to hold Field personally liable for the alleged conduct, arguing that he "exercised complete control over Radar" and the two are "in effect, one and the same." (The full brief is posted below.)

Field's Jumanji sequel is set to be released in December, and he currently has several other producing projects in the works including an adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

The bench trial before Judge Gerald Rosenberg is set to begin Monday.

In other entertainment legal news:

— Filmchella founder Trevor Simms is fighting back against a trademark lawsuit filed by Coachella organizers that accuses his new film fest of trying to capitalize on the famous music event's name. Simms, who's currently representing himself, filed an opposition to Coachella's preliminary injunction request on Tuesday. He argues there is no likelihood of confusion because Coachella doesn't engage in film-related activities — and he notes that there are "hundreds of businesses" in the Coachella Valley that use "Coachella" or "Chella" in their names. Simms also argues that Coachella can't support a claim of irreparably injury, whereas an injunction stopping his late-September event would "would be costly with respect to time, money and resources of the venues, promoters, filmmakers, and fans involved." A hearing is set for Sept. 25. (Read the opposition here, and Simms' declaration here.)

— The nationwide class action lawsuits filed by angry boxing fans and bar owners who claimed Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao hid Pacq’s shoulder injury ahead of their highly anticipated 2015 fight has been knocked out of court by a California federal judge. On Aug. 25, U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner dismissed the multidistrict litigation finding fans had "no legally protected interest or right to see an exciting fight, a fight between two totally healthy and fully prepared boxers, or a fight that lived up to the significant pre-fight
hype." (Read the decision here.)

— The Barbershop franchise has cut itself loose from a copyright infringement lawsuit. Ronald Dickerson, also known as JD Lawrence, sued MGM, Warner Bros. and Showtime in 2016 alleging that the Barbershop films and TV series infringe his copyright in a stage play called Scissors. The studios successfully shut down a proposed injunction that would have preempted the release of Barbershop: The Next Cut and then moved for the case to be dismissed in October. U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain on Tuesday sided with the studios, finding the works are not substantially similar. (Read the decision here.)

Kickboxer remake (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67927-Kickboxer-Vengeance-(Kickboxer-remake)) & Pacquiao vs Mayweather (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68462-Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather-May-2-2015-Las-Vegas)

GeneChing
09-17-2018, 08:06 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr. Says He's Coming Out of Retirement to Fight Manny Pacquiao Again (http://time.com/5397234/mayweather-pacquiao-boxing/)

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotcom.files.wordpress .com%2F2018%2F09%2Fmayweather-will-fight-pacquiao.jpg&w=800&q=85
Floyd Mayweather Jr. exchange punches with Manny Pacquiao during their welterweight unification championship bout, at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 2, 2015. JOHN GURZINSKI/AFP/Getty Images

By ASSOCIATED PRESS September 15, 2018
(LAS VEGAS) — Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he’s coming out of retirement again to fight Manny Pacquiao for a second time in December.

Mayweather posted a video on Instagram early Saturday that showed him and Pacquiao together, reportedly in Japan, jawing at each other over a possible second fight.

floydmayweather (https://www.instagram.com/p/BnvdWOphIoe/?utm_source=ig_embed)
Verified

Click video for sound
Video

floydmayweather I’m coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year. Another 9 figure pay day on the way @mayweatherpromotions

“I’m coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year,” Mayweather said. “Another nine-figure pay day on the way.”

Whether the fight actually happens remains to be seen. There are no promotional barriers between the two men, because Mayweather promotes himself and Pacquiao is a boxing free agent.

Oddsmakers at the Westgate Las Vegas Superbook immediately made Mayweather a 2-1 favorite.

Mayweather defeated Pacquiao in May 2015 in a massively hyped fight that was largely panned by most boxing fans. The bout delivered a record 4.6 million pay-per-view buys, and Pacquiao blamed an injured shoulder for landing only 81 punches in the fight.

Mayweather, who has won all 50 of his fights, last fought a year ago when he stopped Conor McGregor, the UFC star who was in his first professional boxing match. The 41-year-old Mayweather reportedly made more than $200 million for that fight, on top of a reported $300 million for his win over Pacquiao.

Pacquiao, the Filipino star who will be 40 in December, lost to unheralded Jeff Horn last year before rebounding with a win over Lucas Matthysse in Malaysia last month.

Representatives for the two fighters could not immediately be reached for comment.

Why not cash out again? :rolleyes:

GeneChing
10-30-2019, 07:01 AM
Manny Pacquiao posts video of Jack Ma sparring with him, challenges Floyd Mayweather to a fight (https://www.scmp.com/sport/boxing/article/3034784/manny-pacquiao-posts-video-jack-ma-sparring-him-challenges-floyd)
Philippines icon posts a 27-second video with the Alibaba co-founder throwing punches as they mock the unbeaten American
China’s richest man and the fighting senator shared time together in Hangzhou in their second meeting of the year
Unus Alladin
Published: 11:56pm, 27 Oct, 2019

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2019/10/28/62a7fe5a-f8cc-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_image_hires_212626.jpg?itok=OUqn5An2&v=1572269193
Manny Pacquiao holds the mitts for Jack Ma during a workout in the video. Photo: Manny Pacquiao/Instagram

Manny Pacquiao and his new buddy Jack Ma have posted a joint video mocking Floyd Mayweather Jnr, with the Filipino boxing icon saying his friend was the “Real Money Team” while challenging the unbeaten American to another fight.
Pacquiao posted a 27-second video of him sparring with Ma, the multi-billionaire Chinese co-founder of Alibaba, with Ma throwing punches at the Filipino star, who was holding mitts to the sound of rock music. Segments of the “spar” were sped up to give the video “more punch” and the clip included closed captions.
“Floyd Mayweather if you want a real fight, fight me, if you want an exhibition, my guy, my friend Jack Ma will take care of you. The Real Money Team,” said Pacquiao in the video, which was posted on Sunday evening and mocked Mayweather’s The Money Team. The post received almost 170,000 views an hour after it was posted.
Ma, whose Alibaba Group owns the South China Morning Post, said in the video: “Yeah, I’m ready, anytime, any place, Manny’s team is ready.”
“Yes, that’s right,” replies Manny. In Pacquiao’s latest Instagram post, he simply writes “Message to Mayweather!” as the Filipino up the ante to get the American to return to the ring again and fight him a second time.

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/methode/2019/10/28/d19714cc-f8cc-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_1320x770_212626.jpg
Who’s da man? Manny Pacquiao points to Jack Ma who strikes a boxing pose. Photo: Instagram

Pacquiao has been trying to coax the 50-0 American legend out of retirement after their 2015 clash in Las Vegas ended with “Money” winning by unanimous decision.
The eight-times division world champion, who outclassed Adrien Broner in January before winning a split-decision victory against Keith “One Time” Thurman in July, is riding high on confidence and wants another money-spinning fight against Mayweather, who has not fought since beating Japanese kick-boxer Tenshin Nasukawa in a farcical exhibition bout last New Year’s Eve near Tokyo.

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/methode/2019/10/28/fa4cb2a4-f7fb-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_1320x770_212626.jpg
Manny Pacquiao and Jack Ma gives the thumbs up in Hangzhou. Photo: Instagram

The Philippines fighting senator met Ma for the second time this year in Hangzhou, where they shared a meal together over the weekend. Ma, who is China’s wealthiest man and is ranked 21st on the world’s rich list by Forbes with a net worth of over US$38 billion, presented the 40-year-old Filipino with golden microphones in the Chinese city, where they sparred and created a video – specially created for the 42-year-old Mayweather.
During their recent dinner, Ma rang up martial arts superstar Jet Li Lianjie and the three of them did some FaceTime together. Ma and Jet Li worked together in the 20-minute kung fu movie Gong Shou Dao in 2017. Pacquiao and Ma first met in Hong Kong in January, sharing a glass of wine in a harbourview hotel and their friendship has blossomed ever since.

THREADS
Pacquiao vs Mayweather (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68462-Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather)
Jack Ma (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69642-Jack-Ma-amp-Alibaba)

GeneChing
12-11-2022, 04:33 PM
RETURN? Manny Pacquiao announces that he is willing to come out of retirement at the age of 44 to fight Errol Spence and Terence Crawford, but is also still targeting a rematch with Floyd Mayweather (https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1273346/manny-pacquiao-retirement-errol-spence-terence-crawford-floyd-mayweather/)
Michael Benson
10th December 2022, 11:56 am Updated: 10th December 2022, 11:56 am
Manny Pacquiao has declared that he is open to coming out of retirement in 2023.

The legendary eight-weight world champion quit boxing following his defeat to Yordenis Ugas last year and instead switched focus to his political career in the Philippines.

https://talksport.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2021/08/Pacquiao-vs-Ugas-Fight-Night26.jpeg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100
SEAN MICHAEL HAM/TGB
Pacquiao hung up the gloves as a true boxing legend, but may now return

However, Pacquiao was unsuccessful in his run to become President of his home country.

As a result, the veteran who turns 44 on December 17, has scheduled an exhibition bout.

Pacquiao will face Korean YouTuber and martial artist DK Yoo on Saturday night.

It appears as though he could use this as a springboard for a full boxing return in 2023 and his main target remains an incredibly unlikely rematch with Floyd Mayweather.

Pacquiao told FightHype: “A lot of people, even now, they’re asking, ‘When is the rematch with Floyd Mayweather?’

“I don’t think he will fight again, he’s scared to death to have a rematch with me.

https://talksport.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2022/05/Errol-Spence-Terence-Crawford.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100
Spence and Crawford hold the four welterweight world titles between them and most fans want to see them face each other, not Pacquiao, in 2023

https://talksport.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2021/08/Pacquiao-vs-Ugas-Fight-Night40.jpeg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100
SEAN MICHAEL HAM/TGB
Pacquiao was well beaten by Ugas last time out, and Ugas has since been stopped by Spence

“This exhibition match, it’s just an exhibition, but if we’re talking about a real fight with Floyd, why not?

“That’s what the fans are looking for, to see it again.”

Regarding whether he’d face the other top welterweights if Mayweather indeed does deny him a rematch, Pacquiao said: “Of course I can fight Terence Crawford or Errol Spence.

“Yes, yes. I’m eager to fight them to test them, if the’re really champions.

“I’ve been fighting with the greatest boxers in the world, so I want to test them…

“I’m still here. Even though I [have been] retired for more than a year, I keep on working, I work out almost every day.” Doesn't know when to quit...

GeneChing
01-01-2023, 07:10 PM
Manny Pacquiao set for ring return in 2023 after signing with Rizin (https://sports.inquirer.net/491855/manny-pacquiao-set-for-ring-return-in-2023-after-signing-with-rizin)
By: Lance Agcaoili - @inquirerdotnetINQUIRER.net / 02:53 PM January 01, 2023

https://sports.inquirer.net/files/2022/12/0K1A0376-1536x1024.jpg
FILE–Manny Pacquiao during the weigh-in for his charity fight against South Korean YouTuber DK Yoo in Seoul, South Korea. Photo from Wendell Alinea

MANILA, Philippines — Manny Pacquiao is set to face a Japanese opponent this 2023 after he reached an agreement with mixed martial arts promotion Rizin Fighting Federation.

The Filipino boxing icon ended the year 2022 with a surprising announcement during his appearance with Japanese promotion president Nobuyuki Sakakibara in the Rizin 40 event at Saitama Super Arena.

“A few months ago, I was here as a guest, and I have a very exciting announcement tonight. I have agreed with Rizin to fight next year (2023),” said Pacquiao.

“The date will soon be announced and also my opponent that Rizin will choose. And I’m open and excited to fight a Japanese fighter. Thank you,” he added.

It is still unclear whether the 44-year-old will see action in an official match or another exhibition for Rizin, which has been organizing kickboxing and boxing fights.

The eight-time division champion recently dominated Korean mixed martial artist and YouTuber DK Yoo in a six-round exhibition three weeks ago.

Interestingly, Pacquiao’s rival, Floyd Mayweather Jr. also had exhibition bouts under Rizin in 2018 when he sent Tenshin Nasukawa to a first-round Technical Knockout and defeated Deji Olatunji also by TKO in the sixth round September last year.

The former senator announced his retirement ahead of his presidential bid last year but lost in the May 9 elections.

Pacquiao last fought in the professional scene, losing to Yordenis Ugas by unanimous decision in a WBA super welterweight title defense in August 2021.
Anyone here knows Rizin? Who's in their stable that they would match with the Pac-man?