PDA

View Full Version : Training in the park! what do you think?

Colin
11-25-2001, 08:24 PM
I occasionally go to a public park to practice, especially for forms work, as there is plenty of space (unlike my back garden).
Thing is I always try really hard to get a spot where there is nobody else in sight, mainly coz i'm shy & get embarrassed when people watch me train. Also I get sick of kids shouting the usual ****e like ah-So! etc. makes it hard to concentrate when all you wanna do is slap the little ****es!

So how do you all feel about park training, it surely is one of the best places to train, there's space and plenty of fresh air, plus all that chi to absorb from nature!

so what do you think?

CT.........

wu_de36
11-25-2001, 08:30 PM
work on your concentration, you weak-minded fool!!!! :)

by yourself, it is difficult to keep people from bugging you, I think. Sometimes it's good (people genuinely interested) and sometimes it's nto so good. The best part are the people watching you do weapons and want to try it. Why sure Mr complete stranger, I'll willingly let you use my weapon.

ahem.

It might help your focus and your self-concious. There will always be lookers and the occasional heckler. If that's all there is, so be it. The hecklers would do it when they passed your training hall as well.

Shaolindynasty
11-25-2001, 08:35 PM
There is a park about 2 blocks from my house and I train there alot. Last summer I even taught classes there. Somtimes sombody might drive by and do a yell ala Bruce lee but who cares? This is my hood, mutha ****a :D (feeling kinda silly today)

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Cody
11-25-2001, 08:39 PM
especially if there are other people practicing. First of all, that can help with the shyness cause everyone is working, making mistakes, correcting, not just you. Practicing in a park also helps to make you resistant to distractions like unkind comments, cause concentration should not be dependent on a socially docile or solitary environment. It's a learning experience. And the space factor is great! Nothing worse than practicing forms where you are bumping into things or curtailing movements. Go for it! Go with a friend, or make a friend in the park. I've met some lovely people that way.

Cody

Kristoffer
11-25-2001, 08:57 PM
i somethimes train in the woods, at night.

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

Shaolindynasty
11-25-2001, 09:12 PM
The woods rule!!! :) I train is wooded areas whe ever possible. I love training at our state park. There is this creek there(more like a small river) that has some cool places to train.

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Colin
11-25-2001, 10:01 PM
You're right of course, I just need to focus more, and learn to block out distractions.
It's hard though!
The other day I was practicing The five fists in Xing Yi, and this group of kids were hanging around shouting stuff, I was doing Heng Quan at the time, and this kid shouts "er mate is that all you can do?" and i'm thinking just come over here you little sh!t and i'll kick your ass!
When I say kids I mean about 15/16 years old not little toddlers!
I think I've just gotta chill out and focus!
Focus, focus!!!

Hey Kristoffer, you'll get arrested doing that sort of thing in the woods at night!

CT........

IronFist
11-25-2001, 11:25 PM
You guys are doing it all wrong... if you practice in public (parks or whatever) you need to do flashy ****e, tripple spinning reverse flying kicks and stuff. Then people will go "wow, that guy could kick my ass!"

Iron

"Now why the **** would you censor "d.ork?"

Ironman PostLog: 1100 - 11/20/01

Colin
11-25-2001, 11:59 PM
Iron fist could you please teach me how to do a tripple spinning reverse flying kick. Coz in isn't in Xing Yi Quan.
Does that mean i'm not praticing a complete system?

Seriously though I know what you mean, I sometimes take my sword with me to practice, when I do this people normally watch rather than jeer, but I need to practice my 5 fist techniques, and they don't look very impressive to people that don't understand.

CT..

rubthebuddha
11-26-2001, 12:03 AM
random passers-by, or your opponents dentist? :D

-rtb

SevenStar
11-26-2001, 12:13 AM
screw them. You know what you are working on, and basice or not, they can't do it and don't understand it. Just block out everyone. Those that have a genuine interest will watch, and possibly talk to you. Those that jeer will go ahead and jeer, but after they get bored from you not responding, they'll bug off.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Kung Lek
11-26-2001, 12:15 AM
wear a power rangers suit and sign autographs for money, then take the money you make and pay your sifu for more lessons.

it really snowballs after a while :D

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Colin
11-26-2001, 12:23 AM
rubthebuddha:
"who do you need to impress? random passers-by, or your opponents dentist?"

CT: What I mean is that if i'm doing something more flashy they (the local trash kids) tend to yell less, i'm certainly not trying to impress random passers-by.

I agree with you Seven Stars, they laugh because they are ignorant!

cheers
CT.....

joedoe
11-26-2001, 12:41 AM
I hate training outside where everyone can see you. I feel like I am showing off or something.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Jeff Liboiron
11-26-2001, 12:51 AM
My mook jong is in my backyard, so i guess that's as close as i come to working out in public. The rest of my workout (basics, combo's, and forms) i do inside my house.

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

iamaloser
11-26-2001, 01:23 AM
Depending on where you live and how you feel about others around you, you may consider training if, where, and when tai chi practitioners workout in your area. You'll feel less intimidate by practicing nearby since they are also martial artists. However, tai chi students usually practice at dawn and or dusk so the times may not be to your liking.

rogue
11-26-2001, 07:23 AM
It's even better to do your sword forms in a public place!

Power Ranger Suit, good one Kung Lek.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Sharky
11-26-2001, 12:02 PM
Same

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

David
11-26-2001, 01:12 PM
Same

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

neptunesfall
11-26-2001, 03:46 PM
i train at a park near my house and also, when i can make it, at the beach. i've never had anything happen then little kids pointing and giggling or someone [driving by of course.] bruce lee yelling at me. either way, it makes me laugh.
i mostly train at dawn or dusk now, and i see people less.
keep training in the park. it's a public place.

Duncan
11-26-2001, 04:10 PM
Sometimes I take my Mook Jong down to the local swimming pool and practise in the water. Forms are good in a pool too, as your body floats and SLT seems effortless.

Looks funny when you Bong Sau and bubbles float up. Chicks dig it. I submerge my dummy in the deep end and then invite women to look at my "wooden man".

The shock of their lives, I tell ya!

I also blind-fold myself and wait in alleys for passers by... I try and throw out man sau and on contact go for neck pulls.

Parks are good, but I find parents tend to usher their kids away when I start fook sau-ing near the swings.
:eek:

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (message on general Kung Fu forum)

*Fook the lot of 'em*

Daniel Madar
11-26-2001, 04:23 PM
In San Francisco, the problem is not having people stare at you when you practice. It seems more like finding room amongst all the other people practicing is the difficulty. There are a couple parks near me that any time day or night you find people there practicing. I once went at 3am and there was someone there. ****s crazy.

Merciless is Mercy.

Cody
11-26-2001, 05:22 PM
might bring out the Let's wow 'em response, that isn't necessarily so. Personally, I find that I focus on doing the absolute best I can do. I feel like part of the world around me and enjoy the company; but, I'm not there to entertain. I settle in and eventually all else is background. There is some Chi Kung I do not practice in public, because I would not feel comfortable.

I never did moves that could be remotely considered showy, but I think my mindset of doing my best would apply. Also, many students need to prepare for public performances as part of school demos and I think this is an excellent way to do this.

Cody

Kristoffer
11-26-2001, 05:55 PM
I dont think its ilegal to train in the woods?

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

rubthebuddha
11-26-2001, 08:40 PM
CT: i know. i practice in the park a bit, too. and i work at a university and i practice chi sau with some of my fellow students during lunch outside sometimes. the looks and comments we get certainly don't befit a place of higher education, but we don't care. the only person we need to impress is our instructor, so we work our bums off to improve. what's more fun is when i get back into the office and the jacka$ here start with the proverbial dopey movements and say, "were you practicing your karate out there?"

anyhoo, i completely understand, but one shouldn't even make it an issue. you practice what you need to and practice the hell out of it. if the masses see you practicing the same step for half an hour and don't think much of it, so what? they go home the same old jacka$$, and you go home with better footwork.

-rtb

rubthebuddha
11-26-2001, 08:42 PM
if a couple cuties are walking by, you **** well better have your spinning triple back kick with sprinkles down, because THAT'S when you break out the neat stuff. ;)

-rtb

shaolinboxer
11-26-2001, 08:48 PM
I would love to be able to practice outside, but being so conspicuous can be a problem.

I do sneak out late at night on occasion, in the winter time, and go down to the docs on the west side.

The homeless are fine company for practice, as long as you don't wake them.

Colin
11-28-2001, 06:01 PM
RTB: if the masses see you practicing the same step for half an hour and don't think much of it, so what? they go home the same old jacka$$, and you go home with better footwork.

You are so right! I just have to keep this in mind.
And yea I make sure i've got a few really cool techniques ready for the chicks!

CT...............