PDA

View Full Version : 8 steps praying mantis boxing book translation

Hiro
03-13-2015, 04:55 AM
Hello guys! I'm from Japan. Please nice to meet you.
I tried to translate this book, but hard to translate...
Could you help me with my translation?

8 Steps Germany
03-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Hello Hiro,

what book do you use? The green or the grey one? Do you want to translate a specific chapter?

Greetings from Germany!

Tainan Mantis
03-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Hello guys! I'm from Japan. Please nice to meet you.
I tried to translate this book, but hard to translate...
Could you help me with my translation?

I think it has been translated already, or at the least parts of it. A famous Japanese author came to Taiwan and studied with many mantis masters here and wrote many books on the style many years ago.

Hiro
03-19-2015, 03:29 AM
Hello guys! Thank you for your reply.
I have grey and green book.
But this time I wanna translate grey one.
I tried to translate, but I couldn't understand some parts.
So please correct my translation.

P58

第四節 捶法

彼一捶衝我之面部,我用採手以圈捶還擊之,
If he attack my face with one punch, I use 採手cai shou(catching hands?) and counterattack with quanchui.

彼必定用掛手掛我之圈捶,我即化勾手,
He is sure to use 掛手掛 to block my quanchui, I change my quanchui hand to 勾手(hook hand?)

勾去彼之掛手,隨用摔打下克之也。
I percuss his 掛手,.....I can't translate this sentence.

隨:follow
摔打:percuss

What is 掛手掛?

Thank you for taking your time!

Tainan Mantis
03-19-2015, 04:29 AM
What is 掛手掛?

Just 掛手.
Block your ear from his hook punch

8 Steps Germany
03-19-2015, 10:11 AM
You translation is quite right.
He attacks with straight punch, you counter with cai shou. Then you attack with quan chui and that is blocked with gua shou, that changes to gou shou.

The last one is indeed difficult! Sorry. ;-)

RenDaHai
03-20-2015, 03:55 AM
Seems to be this; But I am from Shaolin sect so my version of each of these hands may be different from mantis.

'He strikes at my face, I use Cai-shou to intercept, and counter with a looping punch, he is sure to block my looping punch using the Gua-shou, my looping punch turns into a Gou-shou to hook his Gua-shou, then, following the same smooth motion, I throw him to the floor and subdue.'

I suppose after a short exchange when the hands become entangled rather than continue trying to strike him you change things up and try to throw him. But the terminology may refer to different punches than it does in Shaolin. The QuanChui, looping strike, is that like a hook punch or is it looping to the outside?

Hiro
03-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Hello guyz!

Thank you for your advice!
But I need to see what is gua show form.
Is it like 上段受け from Karate (see bellow picture) 
http://www.kyokushin-japan.jp/images/denju/02.jpg
or boxing block?
https://swproduction.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/editor_image/image/1306/__________2013-10-22_15.08.17.png

RenDaHai
03-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Ok,

Is this what Mantis refers to as GuaShou? I mean the hand by the ear? Or at least, similar to that, If so then that makes sense.

8 Steps Germany
03-20-2015, 02:56 PM
RenDaHai show the correct version of Gua Shou. Thanks!

mooyingmantis
03-20-2015, 03:04 PM
RenDaHai,
Yes! Gua means to hang or suspend. In mantis it is a principle, but it can also just be a high block to protect the head. The quanchui described is simply a hook punch to the head (ear). Gua shou to gou shou is a high block that changes to a hook hand grab/deflect. Cai shou refers to "plucking" the enemies wrist.

Hiro,
I also have these books.

RenDaHai
03-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Great, then that all makes sense. I can visualise it now.

Of course, a bit like a 'hanging' guard with a sword, the name makes sense here. We often call it 'ErDuoPao' ear cannon! haha. Guashou is a better name.

Hiro
04-01-2015, 06:29 AM
Hello Mantis guyz :)
I translated 第七節 腿法, but it was very difficult for me.
Please help me again!

第七節 腿法

腿法遇到敵人,他使掃蹚腿掃來,我用雙飛腿二起避之,
If you encounter an enemy, he use sweep kick, I use both legs jump for avoiding this kick,
What is 掃蹚腿掃 and 雙飛腿二起?

以左腿站定有腳蹬去,彼必用穿弓腿,
and land with left leg, he is sure to use 穿弓腿,
What is 有腳蹬去?

以應付我腳,我閃身進馬,用探腿踢他之背,
そして私は蹴りを避け、素早く馬歩になり、
and I deflect(or avoid) his kick,
What is 我閃身進馬,用探腿踢他之背?

此為以腿皮破腿也。
What is this sentence?

RenDaHai
04-01-2015, 05:12 PM
In my opinion;

Engaging the enemy with legs;

He sweeps at me with the broom leg
I jump to avoid, landing back down on the left leg while throwing a stamping kick with the right leg.
He will certainly use the Piercing bow leg to counter.
I must dodge and use the advancing ma bu.
I use the scouting kick to hit the back of his leg to cripple him.

I do not know what the 穿弓腿 'piercing bow leg' is but I can offer a conjecture; He is on the floor after the sweep, my stamp is aimed at his sweeping leg so he pulls his leg back and kicks up in the air at me from the floor, a kind of vertical kick, I dodge using the turn over where I switch sides into ma bu, then from this position I kick the back of his leg (or use the ma bu stance to 'stance strike' it while turning). I can't think for the moment how else he would counter my leg with his leg, from the floor.

What is 掃蹚腿掃 and 雙飛腿二起?
SaoTangTui is a sweep, typically done by placing the hands on the floor and sweeping with the rear leg 180 or 360 degrees, either forwards or backwards, it doesn't matter here as I think the implication is that eithe rway the counter would be the same as it is a jump.
ShuangFeiErQi is where you lift up the left knee and kick with the right leg as the left knee comes back down (or the reverse).

What is 有腳蹬去?
Stamping kick, just a front kick or a stamp but with the heel projected. Could also be aimed at the floor.

What is 我閃身進馬,用探腿踢他之背?

I think ShanShenMa is the same as FanShenMa, turn over body ma bu. If i land from my kick with the right leg forwards, i jump in and switch stance so now I am side on in ma bu but with the left leg forwards. The action of the switch itself can strike with the knees.

TanTui in this case is the scouting kick. Typically this is 'scouting' it is a kick to test the opponent and find the range, like a small roundhouse or front kick to the shin typically, very fast, like a jab but a kick, usually not so hard but rather empty. In this case though he seems to be saying to use it hard. I think the implication is to kick the back of the opponents leg (since it is aimed up at you if i'm correct). But I could be wrong and he says to kick him in the spine OR the leg.

此為以腿皮破腿也。
What is this sentence?

Thats the hardest bit but I think he means to cripple the opponents leg, as above.

Apologies to the Mantis team, I know I'm not Mantis but much terminology is the same across Chinese Gong Fu and I can't resist a puzzle!

-N-
04-01-2015, 11:43 PM
The QuanChui, looping strike, is that like a hook punch or is it looping to the outside?

The quanchui described is simply a hook punch to the head (ear).

We do that strike like in this Bas Rutten clip posted in the SCKF forum.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=824830577587309&pnref=story

Hiro
04-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Hi Ren!
You always gave me a big help!
Thank you very much!
I learned Long Fist Praying Mantis Boxing, before...

Tainan Mantis
04-03-2015, 05:40 AM
Hello Mantis guyz :)
以左腿站定有腳蹬去,彼必用穿弓腿,
and land with left leg, he is sure to use 穿弓腿,
What is 有腳蹬去?

Here step out with the left foot (蹬扑) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNYtIYi3Zs) is referring to :17 and again at :37. "Pass through the Kick" like you have written here is a move from di tang quan - ground boxing.

There is a famous picture of Su Yuzhang doing it, but this artistic one is pretty cool.

穿弓腿 (http://www.portalgraphics.net/pg/illust/?image_id=14118)

RenDaHai
04-03-2015, 06:16 AM
There is a famous picture of Su Yuzhang doing it, but this artistic one is pretty cool.

Awesome! Its like a move from Street fighter! Thats pretty much what I thought. I have used an equivalent move many times, I always use it if I have a failed sweep. However I have never succeeded in pushing myself off the floor like that! Usually I stay lying down. I'm gonna try that, but are you supposed to push off the floor like that (wow that would be tough) or sort of fall back into it? I.e is it strength or momentary balance?

That stamping kick is the standard then, in your opinion is the text saying to stamp on his leg after the sweep, or do you think it is stamp kick towards his head, possibly as he gets up from the sweep? My initial thought was kick at him because it says ErQi but then I realised it could kind of be read in both ways, and I have seen the stamp on the leg move explained more. However in my practical experience of this move the sweep is too fast to land back down on so perhaps kicking his head or body is better.

@Hiro

Don't thank me yet, I may have it all wrong!

Tainan Mantis
04-04-2015, 04:26 AM
That stamping kick is the standard then, in your opinion is the text saying to stamp on his leg after the sweep, or do you think it is stamp kick towards his head, possibly as he gets up from the sweep?
I need to see the complete text to get a better idea. It is being shipped to me by ocean liner at the moment.
I suspect that the Chinese he typed in may have a mistake, I will look up what is written when I see the book again.

Mike Martello was very good at that kick. When he did it, it looked effortless. He didn't use a lot of strength for standing on one hand and kicking a foot in the air.

Tainan Mantis
04-04-2015, 04:27 AM
"Pass through the Kick"

Pass through the bow kick is what I meant to write.

Hiro
04-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Hello Mantis Guys!
I translated as follows, but still difficult for me.
Please give me advice!

第七章 螳螂拳之法門與用法
Chapter 7 Praying mantis teaching? and how to use it

第一節 拳法
Section 1 Boxing

shǐ       yùjiàndi2    yíng
螳螂拳使用法, 遇見敵人一拳迎我面部打來,
螳螂拳の使用法は、敵が私の顔面を打ってきたら、
How to use of 螳螂拳, if you encounter an enemy and he attack your face,

jìn  cuò di2bi4chu1 zhāocuò
我採手進步挫捶,敵必出手來招我挫捶,
私は採手を使い進歩して挫捶を打つ、敵は必ず挫捶を受けて、
I use Cai-shou and step in and strike 挫捶, but he is sure to block my 挫捶,

我以採手用拍膀子摔之, 敵必倒地用蹚挫,
そして私は採手を使って膀子を手で軽くたたき、敵は必ず地面に倒す(?を使って)
I use Cai-shou and slap his arm lightly,
cuò                  zhì
挫我之腿,我進步用手抄敵之腿擲去。
私の脚で打ち負かし、進歩し敵の

I couldn't understand last 2sentences, from 我以採手用拍膀子摔之...

and please teach me the meaning of the following words.

法門
挫捶

Hiro
04-06-2015, 09:43 AM
I need to see the complete text to get a better idea. It is being shipped to me by ocean liner at the moment.
I suspect that the Chinese he typed in may have a mistake, I will look up what is written when I see the book again.

Mike Martello was very good at that kick. When he did it, it looked effortless. He didn't use a lot of strength for standing on one hand and kicking a foot in the air.

Hi, I never meet Master Mike, but he gave me a message when I asked him about taiwan learing.
He was very kind guy!

Hiro
04-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Here step out with the left foot (蹬扑) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNYtIYi3Zs) is referring to :17 and again at :37. "Pass through the Kick" like you have written here is a move from di tang quan - ground boxing.

穿弓腿 (http://www.portalgraphics.net/pg/illust/?image_id=14118)

hummmm...sorry what is 17 and 37?

Tainan Mantis
04-06-2015, 11:58 PM
hummmm...sorry what is 17 and 37?
:17 seconds into the video

Hiro
09-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Hello guys! Long time no see.
I restarted to translate this book, grey one and I have questions.
Please give me advice.
http://www.lionbooks.com.tw/Detail.aspx?ProductID=A-A210

第七章 螳螂拳之法門與用法

第一節 拳法

螳螂拳使用法, 遇見敵人一拳迎我面部打來,
我採手進步挫捶,敵必出手來招我挫捶,
我以採手用拍膀子摔之,敵必倒地用蹚挫,
挫我之腿,我進步用手抄敵之腿擲去。

What is 蹚挫,招?
and sentence of 挫我之腿,我進步用手抄敵之腿擲去。
what is 挫? he does something to my legs?

我進步用手抄敵之腿擲去。
I step in and grab his leg or legs to throw him out?