PDA

View Full Version : Why is Longfist considered a style for beginners?

JNA
11-26-2001, 02:56 AM
Just wanted to say whats up to everyone, since i'm a new member. But back to the question. I've been wondering this for a while. Anyone know why. What is it lacking chi gong or health building forms like taichi? Its hard to believe it has nothing real to offer. Thanx in advanced

joedoe
11-26-2001, 03:12 AM
I've never heard that myself.

Welcome to the forum.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

SevenStar
11-26-2001, 03:30 AM
http://www10.ewebcity.com/aciddesigns/wushu/art48.htm

http://www.adamhsu.com/articles/long_fist_power.html

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

JNA
11-26-2001, 03:54 AM
Thanx alot, I knew about Mizongquan but i didn't know Tai chi was a form of Longfist. You know any other "well known" styles that come from Longfist :D

Xebsball
11-26-2001, 05:31 AM
I dont think Longfist is for beginners...

I think Northern Shaolin is a well know longfist style (feel free to correct me if im wrong).

----------------------------
You brake my elbow i put your face in s.hit! HA HA HA, how about that, HA HA!
http://www.systemofadown.com/images/blurb3.jpg

Jimbo
11-26-2001, 06:04 AM
Traditional Long Fist (there are many kung fu systems that fall under the category of "Long Fist") is a highly sophisticated martial art. I think when some writers say Long Fist is good for beginners they may mean that because in Long Fist basic training there is emphasis on large, long movements, low stances, long punches, kicks, and sweeps; and body flexibility and agility. This type of training would lay a good foundation for a student if they should go on to more advanced training, or even if they chose to go on to another art. And as in most Chinese MA, training first emphasizes large movements, then gradually movements can become smaller and shorter.
Jim

MaFuYee
11-26-2001, 05:14 PM
yeah. - what jim said.

- neque mibi quisquam Judaeorum fabulas objiciat.

xiong
11-26-2001, 08:10 PM
Perhaps people who say that are thinking of the Chang Quan (Longfist) form in wushu. In our school it is the first full form we learn.

The problem with fulfilling your potential is that then you don't have any potential left.

Jaguar Wong
11-27-2001, 12:12 AM
Long Fist is just regarded as a good art for beginners because it builds some strength, but it really builds the flexibility, agility, endurance, and some good solid basic techniques (as far as punching and kicking go), but there are a lot of other arts that would be good for beginners. It's just that people will generally steer beginners toward a long fist style before taking them deeper into a more complex art like Baguazhang, or Tai Chi.

The thing is that just because it's a good style for beginners, no one said it's only good for beginners. Long Fist styles are just as deep as many other Chinese styles, but the physical foundation tends to me more diverse (as far as flexibility and strength building go), and can build up a beginners body easier without bogging them down with complicated theories before they can understand how their bodies react and move.

I guess you can say it teaches the beginners how to use their bodies in order to move on to other styles when they're ready. Or then can stay in the Long Fist style, and master that. All that being said, I'm really favoring Long Fist (Northern Shaolin) right now, but I am trying to steer my training towards Baguazhang, BJJ, and Tai Chi. But that's only for personal reasons, not because I think that path is better for everyone.

Jaguar Wong
The 6th Deadly Venom!

Jaguar's Wife (To "Judo" Gene Lebell): "Excuse me, my friend (Tigerstyle) wants to know if we can take a picture of you choking him."
Gene LeBell (in a gravely voice): "If he don't mind, I don't mind."
- actual event from DragonFest 1999

SantaClaus
11-27-2001, 12:23 AM
is this the same as tong bei (extension boxing)? Anyways, there is a movie called "Who am I" with jackie chan and I beleive the little guy does longfist and he's a badass, the tkd kicking guy is awesome and has inspiring speed.

May red assed baboons rape you in your sleep.

http://www.emory.edu/LIVING_LINKS/images/Baboon.jpg