PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling season started today...

Martial Joe
11-26-2001, 05:33 AM
Oh man...that is pretty hard...
I love it...
I plan on getting good.It should modivate me to train wing chun more,which I need to do!
I plan on being a very technical wrester...I can't help it because I am a technical guy.

I plan on training my wrestling simular to how I train my wing chun.
Breaking things down and seeing how positions can be much more powerful due to leverage by a matter of an inch...
Stuff like that...

Who else wrestles?

Ryu
11-26-2001, 05:48 AM
You're gonna be a real terror, man. Good luck, and keep it up!

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Apprentice
11-26-2001, 05:51 AM
u sound like me, breaking things down, it'll give u a significant advantage though, you WILL be a terror, definantly keep at it (as ryu said)

Knowledge is power...be stronger(jes thought of that)

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

Martial Joe
11-26-2001, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys...I certainly hope so...

But if my wrestling is as good as my spelling I am screwed...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Martial Joe
11-26-2001, 06:29 AM
Ryu~I want to ask you some questions...

Does Judo make your wrestling better...and what parts inparticular?

Such as take downs or controling your oponent...

After you have been training in both for while what was the combonation like...how often did you ue certain moves to acomplish something in the other art?

Can you answer these in a framed and individual way?
Example:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Does Judo make your wrestling better...and what parts inparticular?
[/quote]

(insert reply here :D )

Thanks man...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

Ryu
11-26-2001, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martial Joe:
Ryu~I want to ask you some questions...

Does Judo make your wrestling better...and what parts inparticular?

Well, judo's newaza is geared towards pinning your opponent onto his back which is similar to wrestling, but there is also the goal of submission as well. I have rolled with very experienced wrestlers before (some up to 12 year collegiate practitioners) and I have usually done quite well. Pure wrestlers are usually a little ignorant of submissions from guard position, etc, but in a wrestling match, if you flop to a guard, you are technically "pinned". However, judo gives you very good control positions on the ground, and wonderful transitions when you need them. You are also more equipped to use sweeping techniques very effectively from the stand up position.

After you have been training in both for while what was the combonation like...how often did you ue certain moves to acomplish something in the other art?

Well I have done judo longer than wrestling. My wrestling days was limited to high school, and even then it wasn't that long. However, during my first few months of rolling with the BJJ guys I used lots of wrestling moves like double leg takedowns, ankle pick turnarounds, sit-outs, and above all pins. I also choked a few out with just a basic wrestling choke where you squeeze their trapped arm across their neck, and tapped a few with some neck cranks as well. (nothing brutal or assholish) However, because of wrestling, I'd place my head into their chest and use my legs to drive forward on them when I was in guard. I did this while wearing a gi.... ;)
Gi chokes!! Left and right. :D My tapping was pretty frequent until I learned to keep my position further away while in guard.

In Judo, I used the sit-out on numerous occasions, and also double and single legs (though sometimes considered cheap in randori :D )
there were actually good wrestlers who cross-trained in judo that I could work with regularly.
And a BJJ blue who frequented Brazil a lot too. :)

In my opinion, wrestling will give you base, drive, and power on the ground. You'll learn to take down, control, and use your weight effectively. Wrestler's speak a lot of making the opponent "carry their weight".
As far as Judo and BJJ, well submission is the surest bet for BJJ, and with judo you get a strong standing base, and good overall pin work, and groundfighting transitions. :)

Hope this helps!

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Nichiren
11-26-2001, 10:14 AM
Hi guys...

I just love this cross-training discussions. No politics :eek:

qeySuS
11-26-2001, 02:32 PM
kick some ass, let us know how you do in ... ok i dont know what competition format there is, so let us know how you do in your division, tournement, whatever :)

Wrestling is still a puzzle to me. Is it the same as Greco Roman? Where one starts off on all 4 and the other grabs his rear? or does this start standing? (since they always talk about a wrestling sprawl that's what i always think of it as).

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Merryprankster
11-26-2001, 04:26 PM
qeysus,

In the USA, competition Wrestling comes in three basic flavors:

Freestyle
Greco-Roman
Folkstyle

Freestyle wrestling is the international competition stuff you see in the olympics.

Freestyle is characterized by:

-touch fall pin (if both shoulder blades are ever on the ground at the same time for any reason, you lose)

-25 seconds on the ground once taken down, then the wrestlers are stood back up.

-very quick back exposure points (if I expose your whole back to the ground for any length of time for any reason, I get points)

-Point awarded to opponent, no argument, if you flee the mat (land or go outside the ring) to avoid a takedown.

-larger numbers of points awarded for high-amplitude takedowns (suplex gets more than a low single leg, etc.)

-If wrestlers exit the ring, the referree starts the wrestlers over, with the dominant wrestler standing, both hands placed on the lower back of his opponent, standing slightly off to one side. The bottom man is on all fours.

Because of the rules, you can see that Freestyle is VERY takedown and takedown defense oriented, as well as quick ways to turn your opponent over, regardless of how much control you have of their hips and head (tilts to just expose the back are common in freestyle) You also tend to see a larger number of throw attempts in freestyle. People who are taken down in freestyle tend to simply base out and avoid getting turned until stood back up, reducing mat wrestling.

Greco-roman wrestling has rules similar to freestyle, except that leg attacks are not allowed. Only incidental contact with the legs is allowed. I believe that they don't get more points for big throws either, but don't quote me. You see TONS of throws in Greco. Greco-Roman wrestlers tend to be fantastically strong in the upper body and torso for their weight, and have unbelievable balance and stance strength.

Folkstyle wrestling, is what is practiced in the US scholastic system. This style emphasizes control of the opponent. As such:

-Pins are only awarded after 3 seconds of continuous shoulder blade (both) contact with the mat.

-Points are awarded for escapes.

-Points are only given when it becomes abundantly clear the attacker has obtained a dominant, controlled position over the defender.

-There is no difference in points between a big throw and a leg attack. A takedown is a takedown.

-Back exposure points are awarded only if the opponent is in danger of being pinned.

-Riding time gives a point at the end of the match to the opponent who has obtained at least 1 min more of positional dominance.

-No forced standup for inactivity. Although stalling may be called, competitors will be restarted in "referee's position."

-There are 3 periods. The first starts out on the feet. The second is a coin toss, and the winner decides whether he wishes to begin on the bottom/top of the referee's position or on the feet. The next round, the other guy gets to decide.

-The folkstyle referee's position has the bottom man on all fours, and the top man with one hand on the opponent's stomach and the other just above his elbow. You may elect freestyle however

Given the nature of Folkstyle, there is much more mat wrestling, much more emphasis on controlling movements and far more use of reversals, rolls, and escapes.

Martial Joe
11-27-2001, 05:23 AM
Q~I am doing Folkstyle...

Ryu~Thanks bro...I will keep you updated...