PDA

View Full Version : A little more on the NHB kung fu match

Richie
11-04-2001, 02:42 AM
I put together a short list of companies to try to get sponsorship.

The ring will be a circle (4.5-6.5 meter in diam.) with no ropes or fence.

Protective gear is only a cup and mouth piece.

The gloves will be like Century's grappling gloves, because they are small and dense. This will be good for hand techniques.

Only one fighting class (expert). By expet, I mean master, senior student, or the like.

This isn't a kiddy tournament. The is a true test of skill.
I also want to stay away from the term NHB, because technically it isn't. It is KUNG FU only. Wushu guys are allowed to enter BUT it is at their own risk. Kempo or Kenpo are not allow to enter because it isn't really Chinese Martial Arts. However, if the Kempo fighter can prove the relative similar of his style to CMA, maybe he can enter.

Watchman
11-04-2001, 02:45 AM
I asked the question the other thread, but I think it got drowned out, but what criteria are you judging someone to be "expert" level in the respective art? What kind of credentials are you looking for?

Wongsifu
11-04-2001, 02:56 AM
by expert i think he means professional, as in full contact as opposed to amateur pads and point sparring.

Otherwise if he really means expert i.e wong shun leung , chen xiaowang , frank yee , chiu chi ling and the like , then erm i donno i dont think those guys really need to prove anything.

do you mean pro full contact i,e of the level of k-1 and san shou guys ???

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Wongsifu
11-04-2001, 02:58 AM
just a couple of small things , if someone does chin na , how does he win ? by locking the oponent till he "taps" ? If someone does bagua is it fair to let him strike open palm , singe i think the gloves would cushion the fist 10X more than the palm.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Xebsball
11-04-2001, 04:45 AM
I think it may be hard to find experts to compete, maybe we should go for middle level kung fu fighters or something...

-------------------------
"I AM EFFECTIVNESS"

Richie
11-04-2001, 05:14 AM
When I say expert, I mean someone who is a master or a senior student who that represents his school. I don't want guys that trained for 6 months and thinks he can fight. "No paper tigers" This is for safty reasons. What if a paper tiger goes up against a true master? That paper tiger may get seriously hurt or worse. These is only one class because this is the "real deal".

Okay, an example, if Frank Yee, Henry Poo Yee, Bak Sum kong or GM Chan Sau Chung wanted to send their top students, that would be ok. These are well know masters, and they are known to be good teachers. However, if you or you teacher is not well know, it is ok. You just have to prove it. For example, lineage, past champions, or the like. It may be possible to send a video tape of forms and techniques.

When I use the term expert, I mean the general term. "Someone who is highly skill at something" The reason is because if I said only masters can fight, that would drain the pool a bit. A lot of masters are old, and they would rather send there top student to fight. The top student may not be a master, but the master trust that student to represent the school and or style.

You have to remember that this is a semi-NHB semi-full contact fight. The guys will be use full power and techniques. If a low level fighter enters and gets hurt badly, the tournament would end after the first year. Is it perfect? NO, but it is a start.

brassmonkey
11-04-2001, 06:41 AM
"The ring will be a circle (4.5-6.5 meter in diam.) with no ropes or fence."

What happens if your opponent moves out of the circle? Points? What type of point system are we using here? Are you going to allow headbutts and elbows, personally I'd like to see them but the injury ratio might not be worth it. Don't forget to have the circle outside on level ground so we can get throws the importance they deserve in NHB and to the people who say too many people would get injured, well learn to fall, the Mongolian Boke tournament is held outside so I can't imagine too many people getting killed in those or they would have stopped it, though I could be wrong as I hear Mongolia is like the Wild West.

"It is KUNG FU only."

Why not let other stylists share in the fun? I don't believe Yang Lu Chan would only fight Chinese Martial Artists. Cha'ng Tung Sheng didnt.

"Wushu guys are allowed to enter BUT it is at their own risk."

Lol. I think this tournament might not be such a bad idea but I'd like to see more people in the Chinese Martial Arts Community promote and support Sanshou and Kuoshu more. After all the Karate guys started k-1 to help promote themselves, the Gracies started UFC but really the venues to test your skills in a ring are already there if you want.

buddhapalm
11-04-2001, 07:20 AM
Where would this tournament be held ? And by when would you like to see it set up ?

Richie
11-04-2001, 07:47 AM
The ring will be elevated (about .5 meters). If you run out, or get throw out (a technique), you lose. Headbuts, elbows, and knees, would be allowed. Wishful thinking, it be held in LA SF, or LV. The date would probably be the summer of 2003.
I still have wrote to sponsors yet, so cross your fingers.

Daniel Madar
11-04-2001, 08:10 AM
Hey Richie

I see you are in japan. I think that this sort of thing would be better received inside japan than in the US. It is where K1 and pride got it's start. It's also probably the biggest market for conventional nhb events. Plus you should be able to lure some fighters from china proper. I would think you are more likely to get corporate sponsorship in japan too.

If you can get people from various styles represented in video games you can probably get sponsorship from the developers.

Team Sega can have Baji and drunken style
Team Tecmo can have pigua and hsin yi
Team Namco can have bagua and some jackie chan wannabe.

:)

Merciless is Mercy.