PDA

View Full Version : Do different kung fu styles have different types of kung fu uniforms?

Killer Nerd
11-26-2001, 09:58 AM
I know this may seem like a esoteric question, but I am curious. The style I studied we had black pants and a black sash as students. The sifu had a gold sash and black pants. I have also read that Choy Li Fut for instance has either red pants and a red sash for masters ranks and red pants and a brown sash for students(supposedly brown had something to do with the symbolism for a horse-whatever connection this may imply I have no idea). So for example--does Wing Chun have it's own colors/uniform, and the same for Bak Mei, Praying Mantis,etc. Thanks

KungFuGuy!
11-26-2001, 11:40 AM
Our uniform is green with black bordering and a green sash.

Richie
11-26-2001, 11:40 AM
Classically thinking, I don't think there are any rules. I only know one style where a special uniform is used.

We wear all black (including socks) in Tai Shing Pek Kwar.

For traditional kung fu go to www.taishingpekkwar.com (http://www.taishingpekkwar.com)

Killer Nerd
11-26-2001, 11:41 AM
Kung Fu guy--what style do you study?

KungFuGuy!
11-26-2001, 12:14 PM
White Tiger :D

Ish
11-26-2001, 02:20 PM
I train in wing chun and we don't have any uniform. We just wear what we want, some people have club tee shirts which you get when you join but you don't have to wear them.

sultanpro
11-26-2001, 07:18 PM
At the mantis school i train at, we wear whatever, it doesn't matter, we have club shirts with he logo but it's not mandatory.

Kungfuguy- Are you still with the Temple?

Sounds like kung fu club to me!! :D

Skard 1

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

Jeff Liboiron
11-26-2001, 07:26 PM
I train in wing chun, and i just bought myself a regular kung fu uniform off the net, i like it, it's comfy :)

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Chang Style Novice
11-26-2001, 07:32 PM
Is it normal for a Shifu to demand we conduct class in the nude and get a full-chest tattoo of the club logo?

(Don't answer that.)

Mojo
11-26-2001, 07:46 PM
Chang
It is if this is your instructor....
http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan/Imagezs/peter_stand_small.jpg

The Dude: Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

xiong
11-26-2001, 08:24 PM
In my wushu school we wear a cotton 3/4 sleeve white KF top with black trim and frog buttons. Black KF pants and have a belt ranking system using the 3 chord cotton belt.

The problem with fulfilling your potential is that then you don't have any potential left.

rubthebuddha
11-26-2001, 08:58 PM
baggy IWTA pantalones and a t-shirt that breaks down which level you are (white is 1-5, gray is 6-12, black is assistant instructor or full instructor). pretty simple, and not too pricey

-rtb

KungFuGuy!
11-27-2001, 02:42 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I am :( I may be moving to kitchener soon, so hopefully there's a better place there.

Je Lei Sifu
11-27-2001, 08:27 AM
I know that when my sigung was still alive, everyone practice in comfortable attire, which could consist of sweats, shorts, tees, or what have you. However, when out in public during performances, the students had to wear sigungs shirt with logo, blue sash and black pants. My sisook require the same of his students.

peace

Je Lei Sifu

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger