PDA

View Full Version : martial maturity, espcially mma compared to tai ji

Wongsifu
11-04-2001, 02:50 AM
i remember when my i asked one of my teacers sometihng about being good, and he said it happens slowly but one day you will wake up and finally realise hey !!! im there im finally good.

my question is , in kf this process is quite slow, you spend a long time weeding through shiat to get to the good stuff weeding out things like , with my wrongly executed inside forearm block i can block a 200 pound boxer if i execute it fast enough.After you advance to stages higher you realise what masters meant by using this block against that strike because it is in a different context.

Overall in my training its been almost 10 years now, i actually cant remember i think its about 9 and a bit. I spent 5 years learning wing chun after these years i knew i was good at wing chun, but if i had fought a real fighter with 5 years MT i would have got shagged. After this i spent 2-3 years more searching and finding, after this i find that my 2 years of practising REAL kung fu has been so rewarding that i am on cloud number nine.
I still see people who are teachers who after 15 years are just an extension of my 5 years of Wing chun practising they are 3 times as good as i was therefore they are good but in essence they havetn got there yet.

Since MT and kickboxing and bjj are ring sports you pretty much get to go in the ring straight away, do you find that during your training one day you clicked and realised SH!T this is waht its all about ?

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

joedoe
11-04-2001, 02:53 AM
Yeah, one day I suddenly realised that I actually started to understand the way our art worked. I am not sure I would call myself good though :(

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Mr. Nemo
11-04-2001, 02:56 AM
I'm not sure I quite understand the question...but I haven't even trained bagua a year, so maybe that's the reason.

However, I think you should be able to develop passable fighting ability within a year or two (depending on your training) regardless of style. Taiji might be the one style that is an exception (I never really got good at tai chi), but overall I think the learning curve of kung fu is not that much longer than other styles. Maybe a little longer, but not much.

Archangel
11-04-2001, 03:26 AM
No wong, actually it is during your fights where you get your biggest revelations good and bad. I remember the fist time I got caught with a straight right when I threw a jab, I realised hey thats what my trainer meant by keeping my guard up when I punch. Or when my wrestling coach told me to keep my head close to the body when I was shooting. It didn't sink in until i nearly got my head ripped off with a cross face.

As for the good, you'll never forget how good it feels when during a fight, you execute a technique you've been drilling in practice. Then when you actually win using what you've learned in training, thats when you realise it was all worth it.

Ryu
11-04-2001, 03:32 AM
I can relate to that. When I shoot now, almost all my focus is on keeping my head up, and shooting with my "chest" forward.
I was rolling pretty hard at a BJJ school and shot in to take a guy down (and I had taken a few guys down there pretty easily) This guy was better than the others I had sparred, slapped a guillotine on me and nearly tore my head off!
After that frantic tap out, I never kept my head down while shooting! :D

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimuraosawa.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Merryprankster
11-04-2001, 03:33 AM
Exactly Archangel.

Archangel
11-04-2001, 08:56 PM
HAHAHA, we've all been there before, especially wrestlers who do crosstrain with submissions; It definately took some time to get used to. I got caught once in competiton and I didn't want to tap; he got my windpipe and I sounded like a baby seal everytime I took a breath. I ended up tapping eventually and I puked on the mat, UGGG I should have tapped earlier.