PDA

View Full Version : OT: Handles

KC Elbows
11-26-2001, 08:49 PM
Alright, on another post, the question came up on whether using handles instead of your real name was unscrupulous. What do you guys think?

My view was that my privacy is important, and using my real name gives way too much access to my life to any schmoe that comes to this forum. The other view(in that post) was that you cannot speak with any credibility from behind a handle.

kungfu cowboy
11-26-2001, 08:58 PM
At the very least, anonymity can lead to a more honest expression of a viewpoint or opinion, which is more important than knowing someone's real name. Sounds like some people might harrass somebody if they had access to their real name too. And that kind of situation from participating on a kung fu mesage board is not worth the grief.

Sharky
11-26-2001, 09:08 PM
surely what you're saying, as opposed to who's saying it, is what matters?

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

SantaClaus
11-26-2001, 09:49 PM
May red assed baboons rape you in your sleep.

I couldn't say that if you really new who I was. Then no one would buy my "Superfoot Kicking Videos"

KC Elbows
11-26-2001, 10:07 PM
LOL!! Superfoot said red arsed babboons were gonna rape me!!

I'm honored, sir! :D

Ryu
11-26-2001, 10:32 PM
:confused:

Handles? I'm ACTUALLY the videogame character known as Ryu. I throw hadoukens, and shoryukens all the time. I practice the way of the world warriror...... I thought you all knew. :(

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Ryu
11-26-2001, 10:34 PM
;)

In all honesty, I think that the argument of "you're not using your real name!" when arguing opinions on the internet is a weak one.

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Daniel Madar
11-26-2001, 10:38 PM
I'm actually using the name of this guy I hate. I think I've gotten his asskicked 6 or 7 times now, and he has no idea why.

:)

Merciless is Mercy.

Budokan
11-26-2001, 10:38 PM
I don't think it matters one way or the other. I use a handle for this forum, but sign all my posts with my real name. It's just six of one half dozen of the other, IMO.

K. Mark Hoover

KC Elbows
11-27-2001, 12:00 AM
Just in case, I've decided to put my name at the bottom of all my posts, in order to add "credibility" to all the things I say to all you goat loving sickos.

Peace

Kung Lek
:D

SantaClaus
11-27-2001, 12:16 AM
exactly

May red assed baboons rape you in your sleep.

http://www.emory.edu/LIVING_LINKS/images/Baboon.jpg

KC Elbows
11-27-2001, 12:22 AM
OK santa, the baboon thing was funny once, but its beginning to lose its impact. I think its the red-arsed thing. Its redundant. All baboons are red-arsed. However, I'm glad santa is here with the season, I just never expected him to be such a sick monkey.

Another childhood myth, shattered by a baboon reference.

Godzilla
11-27-2001, 12:30 AM
I thought we all HAD to use our real names!

Godzilla

KC Elbows
11-27-2001, 12:42 AM
My Great Aunt Matilda Elbows always told me that its important to let people know who they're talking to.

Yours truly,

Kurt Cockswain Elbows

joedoe
11-27-2001, 12:54 AM
If I used my real name, you would all laugh at me :(

Oh, and I wouldn't be game to be as much of a smart arse either :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

KC Elbows
11-27-2001, 01:07 AM
There's nothing to be afraid of, Abandit.

My friends call me Cockswain.

Budokan
11-27-2001, 02:49 AM
We laugh at you anyway, ABandit. Well, actually we're laughing WITH you, not AT you.

Yeah. That's it.

:D

K. Mark Hoover

Fish of Fury
11-27-2001, 04:07 AM
i don't want all you sick puppies knowing who i am :D

i don't think i'd say things much differently if i used my real name anyway.(but that's only because i'm a total girly boy wus, even cowering behind my handle)

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

straight blast
11-27-2001, 01:15 PM
I couldn't possibly use my real name!! My secret past of Tae Kwon Do would sneak up and bite me on the a**. Oh the humanity. :eek:

By the way, I was joking about the TKD thing. I just wanted to make real sure that nobody thought I was a TKD practitioner. On top of the rest of my week (see "OT...Killing your folks" thread) that's the last thing I need... :(

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

scotty1
11-27-2001, 03:57 PM
Gives a sh!T? :p
Apart from Mooney :D

sultanpro
11-27-2001, 06:02 PM
Who care's who i am? Some chump on a message
board....big deal!

I am ..........Skard One The One and Only!!!!!!

KC-ELBOWS- That first post with your real name was classic, nice one bro!

Skard 1

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

Chang Style Novice
11-27-2001, 06:05 PM
I have two handles, right above my hips.

SanHeChuan
11-27-2001, 06:44 PM
what are you all talking about, I'd love a chick with handle bars. :D

==============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

Ryu
11-27-2001, 06:47 PM
Rimpleback Fistibuns.

Ryu

JerryLove
11-27-2001, 07:35 PM
While I don't have a problem with handles, and agree that it is the substanitive content of a post that matters; the ability to hide behind anonymity is an abused privelage. Also, the use of a real name offers a level of credabilty in and of itself; a willingness to stand behind your own words and take responsability for them.

Should a post from an alaias be dismissed out of hand? Of course not. Does the willingness of a person to post as themselves affect their credability (at least in terms os honesty, if not knowledege)? I think yes.

http://www.clearsilat.com

KC Elbows
11-27-2001, 07:44 PM
Ryu, are you of the Burbank Fistibuns? I think I used to date your cousin, Hypoxia Fistibuns.

Starchaser107
11-27-2001, 08:40 PM
Thirston Flagpole Cummings
the third

"everything is everything"