PDA

View Full Version : Nice meme on teaching

stonecrusher69
09-07-2015, 08:18 PM

Came across on Facebook..Nice meme on teaching.

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2015, 07:05 AM
They say the best teachers are those whose students say, " I got here myself".
I think it means that the best teachers are those that teach by the student "learning for themselves".

LFJ
09-10-2015, 03:52 AM
I would just change "where" to "how". ;)

Happy Tiger
09-10-2015, 05:02 AM
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein

stonecrusher69
09-10-2015, 10:06 PM
I would just change "where" to "how". ;)

I agree "how" would be a better word but the massage I think good. Let the student think for themselves. Teach them how to but not what to think. That's a real education which is not what we have today. Our schools just pump out mindless workers.

anerlich
09-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Maybe I'm not an ideal teacher, but I try to throw out lots of ideas. Like a number of possible directions you can take a concept, without saying they are the only ones and suggesting there are probably more. Or pointing out possible connections they might not otherwise notice. Often students come up with things I hadn't considered. Fine, I'm a student forever myself. This seems to be much more common in Jiu Jitsu, but then again I do much more of that these days so maybe that's the only context I'm operating in.

I had a guy come in once while I was teaching a class at Rick Spain's. He saw a flyer on a notice board someone had put up about an ecological or conservation group and a rally they were advertising. He suggested, "maybe you guys should help out these people."

Lot of issues there, notwithstanding my own reluctance to fight the police who are just doing a job and have the power to arrest me if I get violent, but I just told him "No, mate. We don't tell people what to think, we want them to make up their own minds."