PDA

View Full Version : Seven Star (or other Styles of) Mantis -- Ground Fighting Forms/Techniques?

jared.a.rapp
11-15-2015, 06:32 PM
I have yet to find some resources on Seven Star Mantis Ground Fighting techniques, forms, or applications. The only thing that comes close that I own is Tai Chi Praying Mantis Fist's Di Gong and Free Combat DVD which contains techniques involving diving to the ground to execute. Even these techniques seem a little "out there" and not very practical to learn, but I'll study this in the meantime.

I also have Seven Star Mantis' own Jon Funk's DVD on Neutralizing the Grappling Attack which contains a good amount of information regarding ground fighting and grappling, but it is only generic information and not specifically mantis (at least he makes no mention of it throughout the entire video).

I have gathered so far that ground fighting techniques are taught to advanced level mantis students and aren't in the beginner/intermediate curriculum lessons?

The reason I inquire about this in the first place is because I was under the impression that virtually all branches of Mantis kung fu (but perhaps only Seven Star Mantis kung fu teachings) are *complete* martial systems which involve "stand-up" combat, weapons combat, grappling, throwing, and ground fighting. Am I incorrect in this assumption? I would be absolutely thrilled to learn mantis-specific techniques/forms that can be used on the ground -- anything to stick to the pure essence of mantis principles for an entire fight, no matter where you are positioned. I am just very curious about this topic.

All the best,

Jared Rapp

mooyingmantis
11-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Jujutsu-style ground-fighting is not found in mantis. The zhai yao form has techniques to throw an opponent, neutralize the attacks of a grounded enemy and kick/trip from a grounded position. However, jujutsu-style grappling on the ground is not a part of any traditional mantis family.

Firehawk4
11-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Try Dog boxing Gou Quan Nan Shaolin leg Techniques there is a book on this system on Ground fighting .

B.Tunks
11-15-2015, 10:05 PM
I strongly advise against attempting to restrict yourself to the ‘pure essence of mantis principles' (whatever that is) for an entire fight, if that fight happens to be against anyone with any actual ground fighting experience.

If I may be so rude as to offer further unsolicited advice – it’s probably not in your interests to attempt to learn TLQ or any other MA by DVD, book or any other media. Especially not if you are interested in actually using it to fight.

BT

jared.a.rapp
11-16-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks Richard and Firehawk for the informative and constructive replies :). That's what I wanted to know, and I will definitely check out that book. You guys are awesome.

SoCo KungFu
11-16-2015, 03:09 PM
If you want to learn groundfighting, crosstrain a system that specializes on groundfighting

Firehawk4
11-16-2015, 10:41 PM
here s the book http://www.amazon.com/Fukien-Ground-Boxing-Shaolin-Techniques/dp/0870409247/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8