PDA

View Full Version : Don't hate me because I'm posting about Crouching Tiger...

KC Elbows
11-28-2001, 08:44 PM
This should get people really hating me, but...

Just got the DVD for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, threw it in, and was somewhat annoyed. The dvd automatically plays with english dubbing and english subtitles, and the two don't match. The subtitles say they're going to Peking, the dubbing says Beijing, and at one point a guy says he is the Burning Phoenix or some such thing, and shakes his steel fan like a bird's wing, but in the dubbing he says he is Tiger something or other.

It ****ed me off, as the version in mandarin is so nice to listen to, but I was doing other things at the time, so I didn't want to bother with switching over to the mandarin version, which I'm hoping is on there. The other problem is that the dubbing is not recorded at anywhere near the same levels as the music, so if you can hear the dialogue, the first time yo yo ma plays that 3 million dollar cello, you will bleed from your ears.

Nonetheless, I still love the movie, it has real acting in it, performed by real actors who have studied acting, and it had a better message than most MA flicks, which are, to say the least, childish and obsessed with violence for violence's sake. Sure, the MA(except my love, Michelle) was done by actors, but they clearly worked very hard to learn it.

Ha!! Let the hate begin!!! :p

Silumkid
11-28-2001, 08:49 PM
I do my best not to ever deal with English dubs. I only settle for them when I have to. It just always seemed to me that most of these companies that do dubs get 4 or 5 homeless "Will Do Voiceovers For Food" types to do poor John Wayne imitations for the heroes and stupid Minnie Pearl voices for the baddies or inconsequential characters.

DUBS SUCK!

"I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

KC Elbows
11-28-2001, 08:55 PM
Actually, the only voice that really sucked was the one for the young girl. The rest were alright, but the translation and production were all crapped up, considering the amount of money these people have to work with.

Starchaser107
11-28-2001, 09:08 PM
Isnt Peking the old name for beijing?
I got that dvd a few months ago along with Drogon Inn remake and this other one I dont remember, but yeah sometimes the translations are off, in the old version of drunkenmaster 2 the dialogue is different from the legend of drunkenmaster like when the dude raises his legs and takes off his specs at the end and says "let me make it even then", after gouging out jackies eyes, he says something completely different now, what gives?

"everything is everything"

Ryu
11-28-2001, 09:09 PM
Oh GOD!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NO MORE CTHD threads! aaaaaaarghhhh...

*dying slowly.....slowly....slowly.....dead*

:(

Know what that movie needed? Someone from the Fistibuns clan to clean house...

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Sharky
11-28-2001, 09:11 PM
i thought it was an enjoyable film. haters stop hating.

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

KC Elbows
11-28-2001, 09:15 PM
Yes, Ryu, or should I say...Mr. Fistibuns!!

You have fallen right into my trap!! :eek:

Ryu
11-28-2001, 09:18 PM
:eek:

Curses! My true identity has been discovered!

A pox on thee, Mr. KC Elbows! :mad: The brilliant mind of the one and only Mr. Fistibuns shall not be so easily thwarted!

You have won this battle, but the war is far from over!!

*Mr. Fistibuns disappears into the night*

:D ****, don't you wish people really talked like that in real life?

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

KC Elbows
11-28-2001, 09:22 PM
HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

You cannot hide for eternity, Mr Fistibuns. I have sent my lackeys to the four winds, and soon they will find you, and you shall be the first fistibuns to die from my crushing fist!!!

you mean people don't talk like this normally? ****, no wonder I get such good service.

Nexus
11-28-2001, 09:32 PM
People do talk like that in real life. They live in small shacks in the middle of the woods and have internet connections which allow them to logon to a Kungfu Magazine online message board under the aliases of KC Elbows and Ryu.

OoOoOOoO
:D
- Nexus

KC Elbows
11-28-2001, 09:41 PM
I see that Ryu has not warned you as to the true nature of my villainy, for KC Elbows is just an alias. In reality I am...

THE HIDEOUS DOCTOR COCKSWAIN!!!!

...and now you have crossed me, Nexus, my friend...you too shall some day fall before the Crushing Fist of Doctor Cockswain!! :eek:

Anyway, I still like crouching tiger. I really liked the spear bit in the training hall between Michelle(My Love) and the young woman whose name escapes me because I'm busy thinking of Michelle and all the KC Yoehs we could have, provided my wife gives permission. :D

JNA
11-28-2001, 11:41 PM
:p Crouching Tiger pretty much sucked a**. The fight scene between Michelle Yeoh and the other chick in the temple was cool though. But i cant take all that flying. Give me Master Killer, or Super Ninjas or anything but please please STOP FLYING AROUND LIKE FAIRIES.

joedoe
11-28-2001, 11:59 PM
You obviously have no appreciation for the classic kung fu genre. :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

JNA
11-29-2001, 12:27 AM
Not when it involves floating in the air. :rolleyes: :D :p ;)

"The Self Defense mentality" is one of escaping from a violent encounter unharmed. "The Warriors mentality" is one of taking out the enemy as quickly and efficient as possible- Ji Ji Ke (Ji Long feng). Which one do you have?

rubthebuddha
11-29-2001, 12:34 AM
you want to experience true pain with CTHD? watch it with the french dub instead of english.

i came home once and my old roomy was watching it in french (she's a french major at the university i work at) and about booted her a$$ to the curb. :mad:

-rtb

Ryu
11-29-2001, 02:11 AM
Doctor Cockswain!

Your fiendish plots end here and now. No longer will your diabolical plans be allowed to continue in this world of peace, purity, and freedom!

You may have thought that victory had finally crossed your path with the destruction of Mr. Fistibuns, but little do you know of the true power of the Fistibuns clan!

While alas you thought I was the true Rimpleback Pumpernickle Kez Kez Vuy Tranh Yanagasawa Fistibuns, behold the truth! I am in actuallity the lost son of Rimpleback Pumpernickle Kez Kez Vuy Tranh Yanagasawa Fistibuns!

Stare on in horrow, evil Dr. Cockswain! For I am the one they call..... Rimpleback Pumpernickle Kez Kez Vuy Tranh Yanagasawa FUJIKAGE Fistibuns!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Draw back in fear, and taste the might of my blade!

*insert cool samurai movie yell here :D *

Ah the theatre.....

Ryu

Ryu
11-29-2001, 02:56 AM

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/powell/123/Imagenes/kenshin.jpg

Rimpleback Pumpernickle Kez Kez Vuy Tranh Yanagasawa Fujikage Fistibuns....
the lost son of the Fistibuns clan...

NorthernMantis
11-29-2001, 03:02 AM
My friend is in love witht that movie!It's good but personally I thought it could have been better.My friend listens to the soundtrack every day!I'm trying to get him away from it by getting some cool Final Fantasy songs but he doesn't want anything to do that's not Samurai X.Know of any better soundtracks?

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

[This message was edited by NorthernMantis on 11-29-01 at 05:11 PM.]

Xebsball
11-29-2001, 05:29 AM
Kenshin is a japanese sword badass mother ******.
Thats why they call him "Hitokiri Battousai".

The soundtrack is great too, especially the one from the OVA. Thinking of it, its the **** best OVA i've ever seen. Kenshin is so great he can handle multiple opponents.

----------------------------
You brake my elbow i put your face in s.hit! HA HA HA, how about that, HA HA!
http://www.systemofadown.com/images/blurb3.jpg

Ryu
11-29-2001, 10:22 AM
Well in all honesty (if you can believe this with the rather "otaku" posting I have been doing lately...)

I don't really watch all that much anime. I'm a bit old for it :D (no offense to anyone here!!)
Actually I do watch it occasionally, but only if it is a very well developed story, and has something in it I enjoy. There are some good anime films out there that are quite different from the Pokemon culture or the hentai garbage sometimes seen.

As far as soundtracks. The orchestrated soundtrack of Final Fantasy 7 and 8 is really wonderfully composed.

And the soundtrack (orchestrated) of a game called Shenmue is also one I really enjoy.

Ryu

KC Elbows
11-29-2001, 12:05 PM
You meddling interloper, you have usurped my thread and countered my crouching tiger plot!!

No room to do the Crushing Fist here, must flee...

(The Hideous Dr. Cockswain escapes through a secret trap door no one had noticed in the thread.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!

brassmonkey
11-29-2001, 01:18 PM
You can't put the topic "Crouching Tiger HIdden Dragon" without posting pics of Zhang Zi Yi. Admins ban this fool immediately. Opppps thought I was on the OG for a minute.

Budokan
11-29-2001, 04:47 PM
Hey, guys, don't hate me because I bang Victoria Secrets supermodels.

K. Mark Hoover

wu_de36
11-29-2001, 05:28 PM
http://wackett.enc.org/~tmarker/images/elle.jpg

Ryu
11-29-2001, 06:58 PM
She looks almost exactly like someone I know in university...and she's annoying as hell.

Something about the way Zhang looks that bugs me.
I don't know why everyone thinks she's so great.
Oh well.

ahem....time to get back to the more important stuff..

*clears throat*

Dr. Cockswain,
You may have escaped with your life this time, but do not underestimate the power of the Fistibuns clan. I, Rimpleback Pumpernickle Kez Kez Vuy Tranh Yanagasawa Fujikage Fistibuns shall not rest until I have avenged the name of the Fistibuns clan....and my father... (wind blows in the distance)

Mind your time well, Cockswain, the cold steel of my sword will soon find the flesh of your evil neck!

(Fujikage, the lost son of the Fistibuns clan, sheathes his sword, and leaps off into the night. Only the sound of crickets and the trickling water of a mountain stream can be heard .....)

:D
Man we should take bows.

Ryu

Starchaser107
11-29-2001, 07:28 PM
ZHANG, ZHANG ZHANG ZHANG!!!
ZHANG ZHANG ZHANG ZHANG!!!

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney

KC Elbows
11-29-2001, 07:57 PM
I'll allow you to believe you have the upper hand for a time, Fistibuns. Enjoy your hollow victory, for soon enough you will feel my boot. It is all a matter of how I shall destroy you, and when.

Yes...the honor of your death should go to the greatest of my servants.(Insert knowing insidious smile HERE)

The day will come, Fistibuns, and when the threads of your fate become woven together into the tapestry of death you have stubbornly decided upon, you will rue the hour that you crossed the Hideous Dr. Cockswain!! :eek:

[This message was edited by KC Elbows on 11-30-01 at 10:13 AM.]

nightair
11-29-2001, 09:57 PM
I HATE THAT MOVVIIEEE!!! Western culture is stuck on all these fake Ma movies after seeing the stupid floaty scence from the Matrix. Crouching Tiger wasn't even that good.For example; America is practically ruining Jet Li. His american movies are getting worse and worse and worse........AAHHHHHHRRGGHH!!!!! Ok just had to let off a little steam.

---------------------------"uh oh, what is going to happen next?"