PDA

View Full Version : Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee

MysticNinjaJay
12-14-2015, 06:12 AM
http://img10.deviantart.net/4260/i/2014/312/c/5/conor_mcgregor_painting_by_kitster29-d85o20l.jpg

So over the weekend Conor McGregor defeated Jose Aldo in 13 seconds by knockout ending his 10 year unbeaten streak.

A lot of MMA fans are comparing Conor McGregor to Bruce Lee saying that his fighting style and philosophy are very similar.

Check out some of these threads on Sherdog:

Does Conor's win give legitimacy to Bruce Lee's fighting style? (http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/does-conors-win-give-legitimacy-bruce-lees-fighting-style-3125465/)

True or False: Conor McGregor embodies Bruce Lee's philosophies & fighting style (http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f44/true-false-conor-mcgregor-embodies-bruce-lees-philosophies-fighting-style-2914853/)

Conor McGregor is the Successor of Bruce Lee. Same bodytype/Style. (http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/conor-mcgregor-successor-bruce-lee-same-bodytype-style-2740453/)

Is Conor McGregor the Bruce Lee of today? (http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/conor-mcgregor-bruce-lee-today-2940965/)

Do you agree or disagree? Share your thoughts.

Jimbo
12-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Their body types look remarkably similar, as well as some of Conor's movements. However, I will bet that Conor is a true leftie, whereas BL was a rightie who preferred southpaw because he believed in leading with his strong/dominant side.

Someone mentioned that BL was a bit faster than Conor. IMO, if he was, it's because he was on film in choreographed fight scenes, and Conor is in actual full-contact fights against too-class opponents. It's a completely different dynamic when you're hitting to hurt an uncooperative opponent, as opposed to whipping and pulling your punches and kicks for the camera. In the little sparring footage of BL I've seen, he didn't look as fast as he does in the movies (or in his demos), either.

I like Conor, in spite of the way he comes across pre-fight. He really knows how to get inside of people's heads. Whether that will always work in his favor or someday backfire on him (see Ronda Rousey), only time will tell. Although Conor's head games seem much more calculated and controlled than Ronda's. But I love his unique approach to MMA fighting...it's always great to see someone break out of the "accepted" mold. His fighting style is certainly exciting and unique in the octagon.

There's a number of ignorant posters (keyboard bad@sses) in those threads who make fun of/criticize BL, whose parents probably weren't even born yet when BL was alive. More proof that many MMA fans are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. It would be interesting to see how successful in life those trash talkers are, and if any one of them will be talked about and inspiring other people in a positive manner 42 years after they're dead and gone.

GeneChing
12-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Truth be told, I was more into Luke Rockhold's win. I know Luke's brother. Haven't met Luke yet, though. Saw him fight many years ago for Strikeforce (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?53448-Strikeforce-Shamrock-vs-Diaz-April-11-San-Jose). The middleweight belt championship was a good fight too, although it seems to be completely overshadowed by that 13 sec KO in our ADHD world. :rolleyes:

Jimbo
12-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Truth be told, I was more into Luke Rockhold's win. I know Luke's brother. Haven't met Luke yet, though. Saw him fight many years ago for Strikeforce (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?53448-Strikeforce-Shamrock-vs-Diaz-April-11-San-Jose). The middleweight belt championship was a good fight too, although it seems to be completely overshadowed by that 13 sec KO in our ADHD world. :rolleyes:

It is interesting that within the last 30 days, three seemingly 'unbeatable' champions have lost in dramatic fashion.

GeneChing
12-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Meanwhile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_FkvhnQm4E

SoCo KungFu
12-14-2015, 02:06 PM
These comparisons are ridiculous. People are always trying to use a pro to legitimize their art. And nothing Conor does is really that unorthodox. Side kicks and spinning side kicks are certainly not done by the majority, but they are also not truly rare in MMA. As for the rest of his stuff, he makes the corkscrew work, but that's not really a rarity either. Its just that its a more lefty thing. It was actually the Weidman/Rockhold fight that had the more kungfu type weapons in use; Weidman's epic fail wheel kick and Rockhold's ?-kick (a high chambered snap kick to roundhouse at head level).

People are going to blow up McGregor's win. And he did win dominantly so not taking that away. But lets be real. Aldo didn't go 10 years without a loss by being a chump. This fight was a fluke. McGregor may have the edge, but this was a 1 in 1000 result.

MysticNinjaJay
12-14-2015, 02:57 PM
These comparisons are ridiculous. People are always trying to use a pro to legitimize their art. And nothing Conor does is really that unorthodox. Side kicks and spinning side kicks are certainly not done by the majority, but they are also not truly rare in MMA. As for the rest of his stuff, he makes the corkscrew work, but that's not really a rarity either. Its just that its a more lefty thing. It was actually the Weidman/Rockhold fight that had the more kungfu type weapons in use; Weidman's epic fail wheel kick and Rockhold's ?-kick (a high chambered snap kick to roundhouse at head level).

People are going to blow up McGregor's win. And he did win dominantly so not taking that away. But lets be real. Aldo didn't go 10 years without a loss by being a chump. This fight was a fluke. McGregor may have the edge, but this was a 1 in 1000 result.

I have to disagree with you about the fight being a fluke. Conor McGregor is a knockout artist. He has finished 89% of his wins by knockout. He has knocked out several people who had never been knocked out including Aldo and guys with good chins like Mendes. He finished another fighter in 16 seconds and another fighter in 4 seconds! Jose Aldo is certainly no chump but he fought sloppy. He rushed McGregor and went for a power punch early without setting it up. McGregor countered him with perfect timing and knocked him out. It's the fastest finish in UFC championship history. Such things happen even to the best fighters.

Kellen Bassette
12-14-2015, 05:59 PM

It was strange seeing the fake snap to the round kick, a couple times I believe, but I'm always happy to see people trying new things... I felt Weidman was losing the whole time, before that terrible, sloppy wheel kick. But the fight should have been stopped in the third, Herb Dean let that ground and pound go on way too long. I get it's Weidman, championship fight and close to the bell, but he took an unnecessary amount of damage.

I disagree on McGregor/Aldo being a fluke though, unless your just meaning how fast he ended the fight. Aldo is an amazing fighter, but so is McGregor, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he wins a rematch.

MysticNinjaJay
12-14-2015, 06:24 PM
It was strange seeing the fake snap to the round kick, a couple times I believe, but I'm always happy to see people trying new things... I felt Weidman was losing the whole time, before that terrible, sloppy wheel kick. But the fight should have been stopped in the third, Herb Dean let that ground and pound go on way too long. I get it's Weidman, championship fight and close to the bell, but he took an unnecessary amount of damage.

I disagree on McGregor/Aldo being a fluke though, unless your just meaning how fast he ended the fight. Aldo is an amazing fighter, but so is McGregor, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he wins a rematch.

Weidman took a lot of damage but he was also covering just well enough to justify letting it go. I certainly think that it being a championship fight and the Round close to ending played a factor in Herb Dean's mind but but I don't feel it was a bad call. I want to see a rematch between Aldo and McGregor. I think Aldo fought recklessly. The pressure got to him. He can do better. Maybe he gets knocked out again but maybe he comes in with a better strategy and wins. The rematch should happen at some point. In the meantime Frankie Edgar is a good opponent for McGregor. McGregor is also talking about a move to Lightweight. I want to see him fight Edgar first.

Back to the topic of the thread. Here is a video of Conor McGregor talking about Bruce Lee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3z4mJaIXC4

So he believes Bruce Lee would have been a champion if he did MMA and seems to respect his body movement. McGregor actually hired a body movement coach.

MysticNinjaJay
12-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Here is another video I found on McGregor's body movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whCcF7ASyXw

SoCo KungFu
12-15-2015, 09:24 AM
I have to disagree with you about the fight being a fluke. Conor McGregor is a knockout artist. He has finished 89% of his wins by knockout. He has knocked out several people who had never been knocked out including Aldo and guys with good chins like Mendes. He finished another fighter in 16 seconds and another fighter in 4 seconds! Jose Aldo is certainly no chump but he fought sloppy. He rushed McGregor and went for a power punch early without setting it up. McGregor countered him with perfect timing and knocked him out. It's the fastest finish in UFC championship history. Such things happen even to the best fighters.

Please review

http://oli.cmu.edu/courses/free-open/statistics-course-details/

SoCo KungFu
12-15-2015, 09:35 AM
It was strange seeing the fake snap to the round kick, a couple times I believe, but I'm always happy to see people trying new things...[quote]

The front snap is the set up. If it lands great. But its mainly to draw down the hand to check it and quickly rotate over to the head kick. Obviously, this takes some measure of hip flexibility to pull off at fight speed that most people don't really have.

[quote]I felt Weidman was losing the whole time, before that terrible, sloppy wheel kick. But the fight should have been stopped in the third, Herb Dean let that ground and pound go on way too long. I get it's Weidman, championship fight and close to the bell, but he took an unnecessary amount of damage.[quote]

I wouldn't say the whole time. He opened strong. He needed to keep the fight on the cage. Once he started fighting flat footed it started to go downhill. I don't mind Dean letting them fight. It was close to the end of the round and while he was taking shots, he was actively trying to defend and regain control of Rockhold's posture.

Not how fast. How efficiently. KO'ing Aldo on first successful blow is in the realm of being struck twice by lightning improbability.

MysticNinjaJay
12-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Please review

http://oli.cmu.edu/courses/free-open/statistics-course-details/

If that link is meant to support your view that Conor's victory is highly improbable to be duplicated again I'm not disagreeing with that. I think if they fought 100 times McGregor knocks out Aldo in less than 20 seconds less than 10 times, maybe less than 5. My point is that you shouldn't call the fight a fluke when:

1. Conor McGregor is a knockout artist.

2. Conor McGregor has two other wins that were comparably as fast.

3. Jose Aldo fought sloppy.

I want to see a rematch. McGregor is talking about moving up to Lightweight to claim that belt and there's also talk about him fighting Frankie Edgar. We will see what happens but down the line I do want to see him rematch Jose Aldo and I think Aldo can win. But the fight that just happened was no fluke. It was quick. It was shocking. It probably won't happen again. But it was not a fluke.

MightyB
12-15-2015, 11:10 AM
http://www.wapdam.in/cdn/Animations/Animations/Movie/Snatch_Brad_Pitt_(stevebasu.net).gif

Darn pikeys

PalmStriker
12-15-2015, 11:15 AM
:) Now that Aldo has seen birdie stars circling around in his head he can get used to the idea of a two way street. Same with Rhonda as she proceeded to get up off the mat with her back turned to an incoming foot-club to the jawline. She's lucky her jaw wasn't broken. Now they have been educated by KO. Especially Aldo, having set a record. Underestimating your opponent has determined the outcome of many wars throughout history. The MATCH : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwbZ0oVRO9s

SoCo KungFu
12-15-2015, 01:37 PM
If that link is meant to support your view that Conor's victory is highly improbable to be duplicated again I'm not disagreeing with that. I think if they fought 100 times McGregor knocks out Aldo in less than 20 seconds less than 10 times, maybe less than 5. My point is that you shouldn't call the fight a fluke when:

1. Conor McGregor is a knockout artist.

2. Conor McGregor has two other wins that were comparably as fast.

3. Jose Aldo fought sloppy.

I want to see a rematch. McGregor is talking about moving up to Lightweight to claim that belt and there's also talk about him fighting Frankie Edgar. We will see what happens but down the line I do want to see him rematch Jose Aldo and I think Aldo can win. But the fight that just happened was no fluke. It was quick. It was shocking. It probably won't happen again. But it was not a fluke.

Ummmm....the bolded is exactly the definition of fluke....

MysticNinjaJay
12-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Ummmm....the bolded is exactly the definition of fluke....

A fluke is an accident or chance happening. The fight was certainly no accident. A chance happening? You could say that but you could also say that any quick fight is a fluke. I would call Georges. St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra a fluke because GSP got caught. It was his first time getting knocked out and Matt Serra is not a knockout artist. This was also Aldo's first time getting knocked out but McGregor is a knockout artist and this is his 3rd time ending a fight but knockout in under 20 seconds. The feat is rare regardless but given McGregor's past performances it is not flukish. Again I think Jose Aldo can do better. Whether we call it a fluke or not I don't think it will happen again. I do think Aldo can get knocked out by McGregor again but he can also win. Only time will tell what actually happens should they have a rematch.

MightyB
12-15-2015, 03:27 PM
What? Nobody watched "Snatch"? Brad Pitt plays an Irish gypsy (pikey) who also happens to be an underground boxer. He basically knocks out all of his opponents with one punch...

PalmStriker
12-15-2015, 03:58 PM
I saw a movie years ago where Brad Pitt had a small feature role as a Gypsy who was able to kill his opponent with one punch, which he did . Same movie, MB ?

MightyB
12-15-2015, 04:20 PM
I saw a movie years ago where Brad Pitt had a small feature role as a Gypsy who was able to kill his opponent with one punch, which he did . Same movie, MB ?

That's the movie. Conor is the real life version of that character.

PalmStriker
12-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Conor McGregor is approaching the game from a very different direction from listening to some of the interviews, etc. where he gives away both secrets and strategies. This open door could lead to his downfall in the ring if the other fighters are smart enough to absorb what he is all about. His application of principles is like the Zi Ran Men style of Kung fu which was entirely off the beaten path in the TCMA. Those Masters, however were not into coaching their adversaries. Should be interesting to see how the other fighters deal with his force to be reckoned with.

sanjuro_ronin
12-16-2015, 02:11 PM
On any given day ANYONE can have their bell rung, period.

MysticNinjaJay
12-16-2015, 02:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7GTPLe7nQU

PalmStriker
12-16-2015, 03:35 PM
EMBRACE: :D http://www.si.com/mma/2015/07/30/ufc-190-ronda-rousey-conor-mcgregor-fight

MysticNinjaJay
12-16-2015, 04:23 PM
EMBRACE: :D http://www.si.com/mma/2015/07/30/ufc-190-ronda-rousey-conor-mcgregor-fight

Ronda Rousey could beat an untrained man. She might even be able to beat Floyd Mayweather in an MMA fight because he doesn't train grappling. But there is no way in hell she could beat a Mixed Martial Artist who does train grappling as well as striking. She even once said she had a chance against Cain Velasquez. I hope she stops making ridiculous statements. Holly Holm proved she was beatable. She's going to have to work hard if she wants to win the rematch.

Meanwhile Conor McGregor is getting a lot of hype. Lorenzo Fertitta predicted that he would be the first UFC fighter to earn $100 million. Dana White said that McGregor is going to headline UFC events at stadiums in Ireland.

Conor wants to move up to Lightweight and take that belt too. He's got a lot going for him. He better be careful because Lightweight is stacked.

SoCo KungFu
12-17-2015, 12:46 PM
A fluke is an accident or chance happening. The fight was certainly no accident. A chance happening? You could say that but you could also say that any quick fight is a fluke. I would call Georges. St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra a fluke because GSP got caught. It was his first time getting knocked out and Matt Serra is not a knockout artist. This was also Aldo's first time getting knocked out but McGregor is a knockout artist and this is his 3rd time ending a fight but knockout in under 20 seconds. The feat is rare regardless but given McGregor's past performances it is not flukish. Again I think Jose Aldo can do better. Whether we call it a fluke or not I don't think it will happen again. I do think Aldo can get knocked out by McGregor again but he can also win. Only time will tell what actually happens should they have a rematch.

Keep skating around that logic, Apolo. It was a fluke. No Mary Lou Retton level of mental gymnastics is going to change that.

MysticNinjaJay
12-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Keep skating around that logic, Apolo. It was a fluke. No Mary Lou Retton level of mental gymnastics is going to change that.

You can call it a fluke if you want but McGregor deserves full credit for the victory. I want to see a rematch and I want Aldo to win but right now Conor McGregor is the champion and he earned it.

GeneChing
09-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Let's see now. When it comes to drinks, Bruce Lee has a posthumous line of teas (https://www.bruceleetea.com/). And Conor has...:p

But still, I luv Irish whiskey and must try this.

‘NOTORIOUS’ MMA STAR CONOR MCGREGOR DEBUTS HIS OWN IRISH WHISKEY (https://vinepair.com/booze-news/notorious-mma-debuts-whiskey/)
1 Minute Read
Produced by Cat Wolinski / @beeraffair
Updated on 2018-09-18

https://static.vinepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/proper12-header.jpg
Photo Credit: Conor McGregor Official / Instagram.com

Irish mixed martial arts (MMA) star and former UFC champion Conor McGregor announced on Monday the launch of his own whiskey, Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey, in Ireland and the U.S. this month.

Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey is produced by Erie Born Spirits, a company founded by McGregor, who will also serve as its chairman and majority owner, according to a press release. He has been referring to the venture as “Project Notorious.”

McGregor worked with master distiller David Elder to develop the blend. “We created close to one hundred blends and ultimately selected what we knew was the one and only proper whiskey blend. We took the time to develop an incredible whiskey and I’m excited to share it with the world,” McGregor said. The whiskey is described as “complex and sophisticated yet smooth and approachable with hints of vanilla, honey and toasted wood.”

Proper No. Twelve is named for the Dublin district from which McGregor hails, Dublin 12. “It’s a place dear to my heart. It’s where I learned how to fight; it made me who I am today. It’s a place I’m still very much a part of every single day of my life,” McGregor said, continuing, “I respect other Irish whiskeys, but I am coming in strong, with passion and with purpose. I am the founder of this company and I am going to give it my all.”

Proper No. Twelve will launch in liquor stores starting this month, retailing for $25 per 750-ml bottle (between €20 to €25), the Irish Post reports. In addition to its relatively affordable price tag, this whiskey gives back: $5 of every case, up to $1 million a year, will be donated to local first responders and charities.

“First responders all over the world are the unsung heroes who act with courage and answer the call of duty every day for people in need. I have great respect for these men and women,” McGregor said.

Mad respect, McGregor.

THREADS
Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69168-Conor-McGregor-being-compared-to-Bruce-Lee)
Let's talk Whisky! (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?59392-Let-s-talk-Whisky!)

GeneChing
10-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Celebrity endorsed liquors like this are usually notoriously bad, but I'm still intrigued. A friend of mine got some and said it was good but he only knew about one kind of Jameson, so he's obviously no connoisseur of Irish whiskey.

https://img.resized.co/irishpostcouk/eyJkYXRhIjoie1widXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvczMtZX Utd2VzdC0xLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb21cXFwvc3RvcmFnZS5wdWJs aXNoZXJwbHVzLmllXFxcL21lZGlhLmlyaXNocG9zdC5jby51a1 xcXC91cGxvYWRzXFxcLzIwMThcXFwvMDlcXFwvMTcxODI0NDRc XFwvUHJvcGVyLU5vLVR3ZWx2ZS1Db25vci1NY0dyZWdvci1tYW luLnYxLmNyb3BwZWQtMTAyNHg1NzYuanBlZ1wiLFwid2lkdGhc Ijo2NDcsXCJoZWlnaHRcIjozNDAsXCJkZWZhdWx0XCI6XCJodH RwczpcXFwvXFxcL3d3dy5pcmlzaHBvc3QuY29tXFxcL2lcXFwv bm8taW1hZ2UucG5nXCJ9IiwiaGFzaCI6ImY0OThhOGNhNjk3Mj kyOGE0MjkxZDQ2Mjg1NmVkODgxOGI2Yzc0MjQifQ==/proper-no-twelve-conor-mcgregor-main-v1-cropped-1024x576.jpeg

Conor McGregor's Irish whiskey smashes sales records…despite terrible reviews
Jack Beresford
BY: Jack Beresford
October 15, 2018

CONOR MCGREGOR is celebrating more success away from the Octagon after his Proper No.12 Irish whiskey set new "sales" and "buy" records.

The Irishman might be endured a tough time of things in UFC but he's going from strength-to-strength in the business world, with Dana White tipping him to become the first MMA fighter to make a billion.

McGregor's Irish whiskey has proven a hit back in Ireland, where bottles were flying off the shelves with such frequency that Tesco had to introduce a two-bottle limit per visit to for customers.

thenotoriousmma (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo1H5IqACI1/?utm_source=ig_embed)
Verified

2,910,115 likes
thenotoriousmmaThe sales record and the buy record.
Thank you to you, the fans ❤️
@properwhiskey @ufc

Those purchasing the spirit could be left disappointed, however, if the current crop of reviews is anything to go by.

To say McGregor's Proper No.12 Irish whiskey scored poorly with whiskey connoisseurs would be an understatement.

When Brin-Jonathan Butler presented the whiskey to a panel of experts for Bloomberg, their comments were scathing, to say the least, with one taster describing it as "watered-down."

"Obviously artificially coloured," another added, singling out the unappealing "notes of turpentine interlaced with the musk from a crowded, poorly-maintained Turkish bathhouse sauna."

https://media.irishpost.co.uk/uploads/2018/09/17182235/Proper-No.-Twelve-Irish-Whiskey-Conor-Mcgregor-Whiskey-irish-post.jpg

Over at Business Insider, a similar meeting of established whiskey drinkers produced equally poor reviews

"It smelled like ethanol and tasted only marginally better," one noted.

"A small initial sip was deceptively okay, but subsequent snifters were like vanilla flavoring trying to cover up rubbing alcohol."

Despite the lukewarm reviews, the McGregor machine is showing no signs of slowing down, despite his humbling defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov UFC 229.

Not only did the fight break the record for the most-watched pay-per-view in MMA history but McGregor has since released his own clothing line which sold out in less than 24 hours.

THREADS
Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69168-Conor-McGregor-being-compared-to-Bruce-Lee)
Let's talk Whisky! (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?59392-Let-s-talk-Whisky!)

GeneChing
11-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Yi Long (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57515-Shaolin-fighter-Yi-Long) wouldn't stand a chance against McGregor (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69168-Conor-McGregor-being-compared-to-Bruce-Lee).

REPORT: Conor McGregor Offered $5 Million to Fight Chinese ‘Monk’ (https://www.scrapdigest.com/report-conor-mcgregor-offered-5-million-to-fight-chinese-monk/42754/?utm_content=buffer0e395&utm_medium=Elite+Striking&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)
By Dazzler

https://cdn.scrapdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/11_968_628624514604509371542951530.0488-696x630.jpg
‘The Notorious Has Been Offered a Cool $5 Million Dollars to Fight Chinese Kickboxer Yi Long…

Conor McGregor is a very rich man, so you can guarantee that every day his agents and representatives receive many ludicrous offers for a potential fight or change in career path. He’s been linked to Hollywood roles, a move to the WWE, as well as multiple boxing matches.

The Irishman is currently coming off the back of a two-fight losing streak, to Floyd Mayweather and Khabib Nurmagamedov. He needs to pick his next opponent very carefully so that he can potentially get back on the winning train and remind the world why his rise was beyond anything the MMA world had ever seen before.

While a fight with Donald Cerrone is on the cards, John Kavanagh – McGregor’s head coach – has confirmed that the team have received a wild but genuine offer from China. Is it likely to happen? No. But it just goes to show that there are some crazy options out there for the enigmatic Irishman.

https://cdn.scrapdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/usa-today-8338078.0.jpg
Conor McGregor. Mandatory Credit: Bob DeChiara, USA TODAY Sports.

Crazy

Kavanagh was recently a guest on The True Geordie Podcast, while he was in London. He revealed that they get loads of ridiculous offers every day – but now and again you get something legitimate that is so insane, you won’t believe it.

“I had a guy message me just a few days ago — a Chinese kickboxer who wanted to do three rounds with Conor for $5 million,” Kavanagh said “And he was going to put it in escrow. It wasn’t like he was just joking. Because again, I get a million messages like that a day, but you just don’t pay attention to them. But this guy was connected and it was a legitimate offer. But I know he (McGregor) wouldn’t do it.”

https://cdn.scrapdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/usp_mma__ufc_194-aldo_vs_mcgregor_78254758.jpg
Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez, USA TODAY Sports.

Lucrative

McGregor is a cash cow, it’s that simple. Although Khabib has stolen his thunder by being a genuine Russian, it’s well documented how ‘The Notorious’ was wildly popular in the Eastern powerhouse, and was offered citizenship and wealth beyond his dreams if he fought there. Kavanagh explained:

“You get the odd funny message like that. And like I said, it was a genuine [offer],” Kavanagh continued. “I know the boxing promoter well and he’s very well known. So he wasn’t going to come with an offer that wasn’t legitimate.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNHChhT9ueM

Money

It’s all about the money. The Chinese kickboxer is believed to be Yi Long who is also being linked to a potential fight with Lethwei sensation Dave Leduc, who has himself confirmed he’s open to the fight. Yi Long is marketed as a ‘Shaolin Monk’ and is very popular in China. He’s fought the likes of Buakaw twice in his career and has a solid kickboxing record.

Yi Long mostly fights for the wacky promotion MasFight. It uses kickboxing rules, but only has one round of 9 minutes. You can only win by KO, which comes via a referee’s stoppage or after three knockdowns. If the fight goes the full 9 minutes, it’s ruled a draw. MasFight is a very entertaining addition to combat sports.

It’s highly unlikely that we’ll see McGregor in any kind of exhibition match like this in the near future. For a start, $5 million isn’t going to be enough to get him interested. Then you’ve got the fact that the UFC tie their fighters up tightly with their contracts. Who knows what the future will hold for ‘The Notorious?’

GeneChing
03-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Busted (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52219-Busted-MMA-fighters-and-fights)? srsly? Awww Conor (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69168-Conor-McGregor-being-compared-to-Bruce-Lee).

Star fighter Conor McGregor arrested on Miami Beach, accused of smashing fan’s phone (https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article227434344.html)
BY DAVID OVALLE
MARCH 11, 2019 06:56 PM,
UPDATED 2 HOURS 33 MINUTES AGO

Authorities say mixed martial artist and boxer Conor McGregor has been arrested in South Florida for stealing the cellphone of someone who was trying to take his photo.

By CBS 4

Mixed Martial Arts star fighter Conor McGregor was arrested Monday evening after police said he smashed a fan’s phone outside the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel.

McGregor, 30, was charged with felony strong-armed robbery and criminal mischief, according to Miami Beach police.

CBS4 Miami (https://twitter.com/CBSMiami/status/1105293023221444608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1105293023221444608&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.miamiherald.com%2Fnews%2 Flocal%2Fcrime%2****icle227434344.html)

@CBSMiami
WATCH: Footage from moments ago as MMA star #ConorMcGregor leaves jail in Miami-Dade County. He was arrested earlier today after allegedly smashing a man's phone and taking it. Read the latest here: https://cbsloc.al/2TxTfu2

7:22 PM - Mar 11, 2019
349 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

According to an arrest report, McGregor and the fan were walking out of the resort, home to the LIV nightclub, just past 5 a.m. When the fan tried taking a photo with his cell, McGregor “slapped” the phone out of his hand, then stomped on it several times, the report said.

McGregor picked up the phone, valued at $1,000, and walked away with it, police said.

The incident was captured on surveillance video. McGregor was not arrested at the scene, but detectives spent the day investigating and later found him at a Miami Beach home on North Venetian Drive.

McGregor, a former two-division Ultimate Fighting Championship title holder who famously fought and lost to boxing legend Floyd Mayweather in August 2017, was booked into a Miami-Dade jail on Monday night. He posted bond and was released from Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center just after 10 p.m.

His Miami defense lawyer, Samuel Rabin, said in a statement that his client “was involved in a minor altercation involving a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation.”

The colorful Irish fighter has been in South Florida on vacation as he prepares for his UFC comeback. A few days ago, he shared Instagram photos of a night out at the Versace Mansion on South Beach, where he celebrated his mother’s 60th birthday.

McGregor was arrested nearly one year ago in New York City after police said he attacked a charter bus carrying several UFC fighters, throwing a dolly through the window. The attack happened after a media day for UFC 223.

He was initially charged with two felonies, but ended up pleading guilty to a disorderly conduct charge. His sentence: three days of anger management courses, and five days of community service.

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/oqrqgl/picture227437404/alternates/FREE_768/image1.jpeg
CITY OF MIAMI BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT

DAVID OVALLE
305-376-3379
David Ovalle covers crime and courts in Miami. A native of San Diego, he graduated from the University of Southern California and joined the Herald in 2002 as a sports reporter.

There's some embedded vids of his walk from jail. :(

GeneChing
03-26-2019, 07:54 AM
tweeting out for now.

UFC's McGregor says in tweet that he's retiring (http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/26361639/ufc-mcgregor-says-tweet-retiring)
6:31 AM PT
Brett Okamoto
ESPN Staff Writer

UFC star Conor McGregor announced his unexpected retirement from mixed martial arts in a post on social media in the early hours of Tuesday.

The announcement came just hours after McGregor, 30, told "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" in a pre-taped interview that he and the UFC were negotiating a potential return to the Octagon in July.

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA
Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!

10:18 PM - Mar 25, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
79.8K people are talking about this
"We're in talks for July," McGregor said in his Tonight Show appearance. "We'll see what happens, a lot of politics going on. The fight game is a mad game. But like I said, to my fans, I am in shape and I am ready.

"I have done my piece for the company. I don't necessarily need to fight. I am set for life. My family is set for life. We are good, but I am eager to fight. So, we'll see what happens. I'm staying ready."

UFC president Dana White told ESPN that McGregor's retirement "totally makes sense." White also said he believes the announcement is legitimate.

"He has the money to retire, and his [Proper 12] whiskey is KILLIN it," White said via text message. "It totally makes sense. If I was him, I would retire too. He's retiring from fighting. Not from working. The whiskey will keep him busy, and I'm sure he has other things he's working on.

"He has been so fun to watch!!! He has accomplished incredible things in this sport. I am so happy for him, and I look forward to seeing him be as successful outside of the Octagon as he was in it."

McGregor (21-4) has "retired" on social media before. In April 2016, he announced on Twitter, "I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later."

At that time, McGregor and the UFC were in negotiations regarding a potential fight at UFC 200. McGregor ultimately did not fight at UFC 200, but he appeared in the Octagon one month later in a highly profitable second fight against his rival Nate Diaz.

McGregor's representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

GeneChing
01-20-2020, 09:55 AM
How Conor McGregor Beat Donald Cerrone at U.F.C. 246 (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/18/sports/cowboy-vs-mcgregor.html)
Conor McGregor, the U.F.C.’s biggest star, stopped Donald Cerrone with a quick, explosive flurry of strikes.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020/02/18/sports/18ufc-live-10/merlin_167354310_31f2cf04-07f9-4ad1-aef9-e4d38e833faa-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Conor McGregor celebrates after beating Donald Cerrone in less than 1 minute in U.F.C. 246 on Saturday night.Credit...John Locher/Associated Press

By Morgan Campbell
Published Jan. 18, 2020
Updated Jan. 19, 2020

LAS VEGAS — The first punch Conor McGregor landed bloodied Donald Cerrone’s nose. The former two-division champion, in his first bout since October 2018, landed a sharp right jab that sneaked between Cerrone’s gloves.

Seconds later came the left-footed kick to the jaw that sent Cerrone, a fearless 36-year-old veteran, reeling.

And then the punches rained down from McGregor as Cerrone sagged to the canvas, the bleeding speeding up. The throttling didn’t stop until the referee, Herb Dean, stepped in to save Cerrone, halting the main event of U.F.C. 246 after just 40 seconds on Saturday night.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020/02/18/sports/18ufc-live-13/merlin_167354343_2f3d1b26-f725-4ede-82ba-7fe1a42e9f72-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
McGregor, left, landed a hard, high kick quickly in the fight after a flurry of shoulder strikes.Credit...Mark J. Rebilas/USA Today Sports, via Reuters

So, if you were wondering whether 15 months on the sidelines robbed McGregor of his signature punching power and panache, they’re all still intact. The 31-year-old predicted an emphatic win, and delivered.

McGregor, a former world champion at 145 and 155 pounds, pointed out after the fight that his win makes him the first U.F.C. fighter with knockout victories in three weight classes.

“I’m very proud of my accomplishment,” McGregor said in the octagon after the fight. “Etched my name in history one more time.”

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020/02/18/sports/18ufc-live-11/merlin_167354337_0e1d9034-b14a-4f0c-9342-4d444f2b8fc6-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Credit...Mark J. Rebilas/USA Today Sports, via Reuters

The win pushed McGregor’s mixed martial arts record to 22-4 (he also lost to Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match), and sets up several intriguing options for his next bout. Earlier this week, he discussed the potential for a 2020 rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov, who defeated McGregor in October 2018, and boxing matches with Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. If McGregor stays at 170 pounds, he could also fight Jorge Masvidal or the division’s champion, Kamaru Usman.

McGregor’s performance energized the heavily partisan crowd at the T-Mobile Arena, where organizers expected a sellout. It also stunned Cerrone, who entered the octagon with a size advantage, standing 6 feet tall to McGregor’s 5-foot-9. Cerrone also had more experience fighting as a welterweight. Cerrone was previously 6-4 in bouts at 170 pounds, compared with 1-1 for McGregor.

But when the fight started, McGregor, as he predicted, overwhelmed Cerrone with speed and precision.

“This happened this fast,” Cerrone said after the fight.

I'm already hearing Tai Chi peeps claiming McGregor's shoulder strikes were an example of kao (靠) and claiming that it's some sort of validation of their practice. Sure, sure, there's a bazillion techniques in traditional styles that might work, but getting them to work in a scenario like this is the thing. And unless McGregor states that he learned this from Tai Chi, Tai Chi peeps can't really claim it.

Jimbo
01-20-2020, 11:45 AM
I'm already hearing Tai Chi peeps claiming McGregor's shoulder strikes were an example of kao (靠) and claiming that it's some sort of validation of their practice. Sure, sure, there's a bazillion techniques in traditional styles that might work, but getting them to work in a scenario like this is the thing. And unless McGregor states that he learned this from Tai Chi, Tai Chi peeps can't really claim it.

McGregor’s shoulder strikes are not from Tai Chi. They are a common “dirty trick” in boxing, though legal in MMA. I’ve also seen other MMA fighters do it, though never as effectively nor as damaging as McGregor’s were in this fight.

It’s similar to when Wing Chun fighters were using Victor Belfort’s KO of Wanderlei Silva as an example of WC’s chain punching effectiveness, when Belford never studied WC at all. He simply rushed forward with alternate straight left and right punches. Doesn’t make it WC.

And I’ve also seen some CLF people use examples of boxers and MMA fighters using hooks, wide overhand rights and haymakers and calling it CLF, when the fighters in question have no connection to CLF in any way. Doing something that bears some superficial outward similarities does not make something into something else. If I knee someone in the thigh, or pull his face down and knee it, or elbow him in the face, doesn’t necessarily make me a Muay Thai fighter either.