PDA

View Full Version : Do your family and/or friends think your crazy because you practice ma

NorthernMantis
11-29-2001, 03:21 AM
My brother thinks I'm crazy because he says I'm acting like I'm always ready for a war.Like if there was someone ready to jump me around the corner.I can see why it would look schizoprhenic acting like everyone is out to get me but I'm not that waayyy out there.Plus I'm always talking abou break this or rip that.I don't think bragging about my lated bruise helps either. :D

Anyone in a similar situaton?

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

Sharky
11-29-2001, 03:28 AM
always the same. "friends" (like i say i never have many people who i consider a real friend) think it's wierd that when we were in the bad area's of town, i used to take a maglite concealed in my jacket. my parents and family think that i am over reacting. when i walk with girls at night, walking them home or whatever, they ask why i turn around and look behind me every short while. people think i'm over reacting when i say i don't drink incase i get into a fight and i don't want to have that handicap. ppl ask why do you train all the time, life isn't al about fighting, you can't spend all your time dedicating your time to training for somethign that might never happen/happen rarely.

plus a million other things. the only person who doesn't ask me these questions and give me a hard time, is my brother. like i said we alwys been best friends, true friends, but he 10 years older than me, and he knows what it's liek growing up in the grimey manors. He's had it worse than me.

so anyway, when people ask me these questions, i have learnt to lie. saves me the hassle.

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Sharky
always the same. "friends" (like i say i never have many people who i consider a real friend) think it's wierd that when we were in the bad area's of town, i used to take a maglite concealed in my jacket. my parents and family think that i am over reacting. when i walk with girls at night, walking them home or whatever, they ask why i turn around and look behind me every short while. people think i'm over reacting when i say i don't drink incase i get into a fight and i don't want to have that handicap. ppl ask why do you train all the time, life isn't al about fighting, you can't spend all your time dedicating your time to training for somethign that might never happen/happen rarely.

plus a million other things. the only person who doesn't ask me these questions and give me a hard time, is my brother. like i said we alwys been best friends, true friends, but he 10 years older than me, and he knows what it's liek growing up in the grimey manors. He's had it worse than me.

so anyway, when people ask me these questions, i have learnt to lie. saves me the hassle.

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

respectmankind
No, but I don't brag about bruises. I brag about how good my hot chocolate is. (serious)

"Alright you primative screw heads listen up, see this, this is my BOOM STICK! 12 gauge double barrel Rimington, S-Marts top of the line. You can find this in a sporting goods department. Thats right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails about, 109.95, its got a walnut stock, kolbolt blue steal, and a hair trigger. Thats right, shop smart, shop S-Mart, YOU GOT THAT?!? Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me..." - Bruce Campbell, Army of Darkness.

respectmankind
No, but I don't brag about bruises. I brag about how good my hot chocolate is. (serious)

"Alright you primative screw heads listen up, see this, this is my BOOM STICK! 12 gauge double barrel Rimington, S-Marts top of the line. You can find this in a sporting goods department. Thats right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails about, 109.95, its got a walnut stock, kolbolt blue steal, and a hair trigger. Thats right, shop smart, shop S-Mart, YOU GOT THAT?!? Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me..." - Bruce Campbell, Army of Darkness.

Sharky
11-29-2001, 03:29 AM
what i am saying is - now i don't tell anyone that doesn't need to know that i train in anything, and i don't tell them why i do certain things, just so i don't have to go down that road in the conversation.

Sharky
11-29-2001, 03:29 AM
what i am saying is - now i don't tell anyone that doesn't need to know that i train in anything, and i don't tell them why i do certain things, just so i don't have to go down that road in the conversation.

straight blast
11-29-2001, 03:34 AM
Yep. I'm very involved with the church (Anglican) over here & I sometimes get the pathetic "Chrisians shouldn't get into MA, they're evil" debates. It really pi**es me off. My family think I'm a bit loopy for quitting work to train MA full time, but at least they're supportive of it. And the paranoia thing. When asked by one of my churchy friends (another person completely ignorant of MA and the principles behind it) if I was paranoid because I don't walk down dark unfamiliar streets late at night, don't approach large abusive drunk groups outside pubs, etc I said:
"If you don't try to look after yourself by learning Martial Arts or even simply being aware of your surroundings then you are walking through this world hoping that nothing bad will ever happen to you. That's a huge gamble, and I'm not a gambler anyhow. Do you look both ways before crossing the road? Or do you just walk out hoping that there are no cars coming? Same principle."
He now practises MA.
It's worth the flak though :cool:

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

straight blast
11-29-2001, 03:34 AM
Yep. I'm very involved with the church (Anglican) over here & I sometimes get the pathetic "Chrisians shouldn't get into MA, they're evil" debates. It really pi**es me off. My family think I'm a bit loopy for quitting work to train MA full time, but at least they're supportive of it. And the paranoia thing. When asked by one of my churchy friends (another person completely ignorant of MA and the principles behind it) if I was paranoid because I don't walk down dark unfamiliar streets late at night, don't approach large abusive drunk groups outside pubs, etc I said:
"If you don't try to look after yourself by learning Martial Arts or even simply being aware of your surroundings then you are walking through this world hoping that nothing bad will ever happen to you. That's a huge gamble, and I'm not a gambler anyhow. Do you look both ways before crossing the road? Or do you just walk out hoping that there are no cars coming? Same principle."
He now practises MA.
It's worth the flak though :cool:

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

NorthernMantis
11-29-2001, 05:02 AM
I don't think ma arts are againts Christianity.I think God would want you to learn how to protect your self and your loved ones and live a healthy life.Christianity is againts violence but not againts the belief of protecting your life and the life of others.

On a post a while back somone mentioned that Israel means Soldier of God.

Sharky-

Same thing here bro.I don't drink at all for many reasons.Only time I drink is at mass and that's not much!

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

NorthernMantis
11-29-2001, 05:02 AM
I don't think ma arts are againts Christianity.I think God would want you to learn how to protect your self and your loved ones and live a healthy life.Christianity is againts violence but not againts the belief of protecting your life and the life of others.

On a post a while back somone mentioned that Israel means Soldier of God.

Sharky-

Same thing here bro.I don't drink at all for many reasons.Only time I drink is at mass and that's not much!

"Always be ready"

Mr. Nemo
11-29-2001, 05:14 AM
I believe I've mentioned before that my friends drastically overestimate my fighting ability. They think because I've been doing martial arts for barely a year and a half that I can take on six football players at once or something.

I explained a kimura to them once, and offered to demonstrate on one of them. None of them would let me - despite the fact that I gave them numerous assurances that they would not be hurt, that they could tap at any time, and so on...

It's not like I'm a fighter or anything, I've never been in a fight in my life. Having them be afraid of me is equal parts flattering and irritating.

Mr. Nemo
11-29-2001, 05:14 AM
I believe I've mentioned before that my friends drastically overestimate my fighting ability. They think because I've been doing martial arts for barely a year and a half that I can take on six football players at once or something.

I explained a kimura to them once, and offered to demonstrate on one of them. None of them would let me - despite the fact that I gave them numerous assurances that they would not be hurt, that they could tap at any time, and so on...

It's not like I'm a fighter or anything, I've never been in a fight in my life. Having them be afraid of me is equal parts flattering and irritating.

Sharky
11-29-2001, 05:17 AM
"I believe I've mentioned before that my friends drastically overestimate my fighting ability. They think because I've been doing martial arts for barely a year and a half that I can take on six football players at once or something."

Same. People actually feel safe when i'm there, like i'm superman. If only they knew :D

Sharky
11-29-2001, 05:17 AM
"I believe I've mentioned before that my friends drastically overestimate my fighting ability. They think because I've been doing martial arts for barely a year and a half that I can take on six football players at once or something."

Same. People actually feel safe when i'm there, like i'm superman. If only they knew :D

Royal Dragon
11-29-2001, 05:23 AM
But that has nothing to do with Kung Fu mind you, I was nuts long before then!! :p

Royal Dragon

Those that are sucessful are also the biggest failures. the difference between them and the rest of the failures is this, they keep getting up over and over again, until they succeed. "The more they try, the more they fail, BUT, the more they try & fail, the more opertunity they have to succeed, and succeed they do!!"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site & Message Board.

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com or http://www.dreamwater.net/biz/royaldragon/

Royal Dragon
11-29-2001, 05:23 AM
But that has nothing to do with Kung Fu mind you, I was nuts long before then!! :p

Royal Dragon

Those that are sucessful are also the biggest failures. the difference between them and the rest of the failures is this, they keep getting up over and over again, until they succeed. "The more they try, the more they fail, BUT, the more they try & fail, the more opertunity they have to succeed, and succeed they do!!"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site & Message Board.

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com or http://www.dreamwater.net/biz/royaldragon/

ansgenius1
11-29-2001, 06:28 AM
My family thinks I'm nuts for buying a lot of weapons like swords, staffs, and a chain whip. My friends also think I'm psycho cause I have all of this in my room. I must admit though, the chain whip is badass.

ansgenius1
11-29-2001, 06:28 AM
My family thinks I'm nuts for buying a lot of weapons like swords, staffs, and a chain whip. My friends also think I'm psycho cause I have all of this in my room. I must admit though, the chain whip is badass.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-29-2001, 06:37 AM
I have been doing MA for quite a long time that when I lived in Canada I ran a school for a few years and taught allot of my childhood friends.

Now that I live in CA most of my friends are Martial Artist's so we all have a common interest.

Most of my friends however are astonished at the intensity and amount I train with exception to my training partners and competing friends.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Johnny Hot Shot
11-29-2001, 06:37 AM
I have been doing MA for quite a long time that when I lived in Canada I ran a school for a few years and taught allot of my childhood friends.

Now that I live in CA most of my friends are Martial Artist's so we all have a common interest.

Most of my friends however are astonished at the intensity and amount I train with exception to my training partners and competing friends.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Chris McKinley
11-29-2001, 06:56 AM
Always have, probably always will. Though, after 27 years, most of em have had time to get used to it.

Now what they REALLY think is weird is what I call my "voodoo"....all my energy medicine stuff.

Chris McKinley
11-29-2001, 06:56 AM
Always have, probably always will. Though, after 27 years, most of em have had time to get used to it.

Now what they REALLY think is weird is what I call my "voodoo"....all my energy medicine stuff.

Apprentice
11-29-2001, 07:06 AM
I, as u may know, do not actually study what some would say a "REAL" art...but i beleive i am a martial artist in a way...

I train in many ways(as many as i can)...wether its strenght training or technique training(also speed)...i am extremly devoted to learning martial arts, i scan the internet all the time(ATLEAST 1nce a day, twice if im not working out)...even if its just coming here...but i do know much more than the average bear, i wouldn't say i know more than a true martial arts student though(cuz i dont)...

But to the question, Do my friends think im weird? Well, 2 of my friends know i train hard, as do they...1 of my friends i spar with(sorta) but i dont think he knows i train on a regular basis(he's in for a big suprise next time he see's me :) ), The rest of my friends, and alot of my aqquaintances(not really friends, but like me n talk to me), just think i got really really quick hands, and its like natural or something, and im actually feared (by my aqquaintances, hah)...i think its kinda funny, cuz i dont pose any threat, im kinda like, an educated/nice thug...picture that, hah, i beleive(and can assume) i can fight 3 times better than i could before i started training, maybe people can jes sense it or something...

Keep this thread going, its interesting to hear peoples stories

---The Educated/Nice Thug--- :mad:

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

Apprentice
11-29-2001, 07:06 AM
I, as u may know, do not actually study what some would say a "REAL" art...but i beleive i am a martial artist in a way...

I train in many ways(as many as i can)...wether its strenght training or technique training(also speed)...i am extremly devoted to learning martial arts, i scan the internet all the time(ATLEAST 1nce a day, twice if im not working out)...even if its just coming here...but i do know much more than the average bear, i wouldn't say i know more than a true martial arts student though(cuz i dont)...

But to the question, Do my friends think im weird? Well, 2 of my friends know i train hard, as do they...1 of my friends i spar with(sorta) but i dont think he knows i train on a regular basis(he's in for a big suprise next time he see's me :) ), The rest of my friends, and alot of my aqquaintances(not really friends, but like me n talk to me), just think i got really really quick hands, and its like natural or something, and im actually feared (by my aqquaintances, hah)...i think its kinda funny, cuz i dont pose any threat, im kinda like, an educated/nice thug...picture that, hah, i beleive(and can assume) i can fight 3 times better than i could before i started training, maybe people can jes sense it or something...

Keep this thread going, its interesting to hear peoples stories

---The Educated/Nice Thug--- :mad:

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

Jeff Liboiron
11-29-2001, 07:11 AM
My friends think i'm weird when we're walking at night, and i'm always looking at my surroundings, looking behind me every minute, i'm always alert when i'm out at night (wich isn't very often). I'm the same way during the day time, but i tone it down a notch.

a few days ago i demonstrated wing chun one on of my friends, he now thinks i'm nuts, and doesn't want me to kill him :)

The thing i also hate about my freinds is that they sometimes overestimate my fighting ability and think i'm superman.

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Jeff Liboiron
11-29-2001, 07:11 AM
My friends think i'm weird when we're walking at night, and i'm always looking at my surroundings, looking behind me every minute, i'm always alert when i'm out at night (wich isn't very often). I'm the same way during the day time, but i tone it down a notch.

a few days ago i demonstrated wing chun one on of my friends, he now thinks i'm nuts, and doesn't want me to kill him :)

The thing i also hate about my freinds is that they sometimes overestimate my fighting ability and think i'm superman.

Castlevania
11-29-2001, 01:04 PM
It´s healthy to be aware,it´s called zanshin in japanese.
I understand your situation very well.

Castlevania
11-29-2001, 01:04 PM
It´s healthy to be aware,it´s called zanshin in japanese.
I understand your situation very well.

shaolinboxer
11-29-2001, 04:53 PM
I used to be a blatant martial artitst.

Now, people think I'm kidding. I get a lot of "I know he does that stuff, but, I just don't see it."

I much prefer it that way. Better to blend in and be natural while still being aware.

shaolinboxer
11-29-2001, 04:53 PM
I used to be a blatant martial artitst.

Now, people think I'm kidding. I get a lot of "I know he does that stuff, but, I just don't see it."

I much prefer it that way. Better to blend in and be natural while still being aware.

David
11-29-2001, 05:05 PM
My aunt thinks I'm a Satanist because the "breathing exercises" are a to induce a devil-worshipping trance. How else do you account for the feats of MA's? Obvious innit. :D

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

David
11-29-2001, 05:05 PM
My aunt thinks I'm a Satanist because the "breathing exercises" are a to induce a devil-worshipping trance. How else do you account for the feats of MA's? Obvious innit. :D

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

gano_b
11-29-2001, 06:18 PM
I was on my way out of the Kwoon downtown and ran into a couple of guys I work with coming from happy hour. Of course I am in my gi and the questions started flying. They alway's want to know "how long" you have been studying your art. Really what they are saying is "are you any good?" I then suddenly became the "Karate Guy" at work (because all martial arts are karate of course).

One day I am out to lunch with one of these guys and I see a class brother. We talk for a couple of minutes and then head our seperate ways. My class brother doesn't exactly fit the "yuppie" mold, with his beard and longer hair, so my co-worker was curious as to how I knew this "construction worker". When I told him that he was a class mate of mine, the co-workers response was "He looks like the kind of freak that would get into the martial arts... no offense."

I just shook my head. People have such miss guided ideals on what the typical martial artist is. They think it is something we do just to be tough guys... despite the fact that most of us don't even tell people that we study. One thing I know, its funny, but I have met people of all types in my class, and have forged relationships with people that I never would have before. These folks are salt of the earth. Some are "yuppies", some are construction workers, some are black, and some are white. The bottom line is, these are just good people. I think that the folks that stick with it, are generally the ones with no prejudices or ego.

"There is no try...do, or do not."

gano_b
11-29-2001, 06:18 PM
I was on my way out of the Kwoon downtown and ran into a couple of guys I work with coming from happy hour. Of course I am in my gi and the questions started flying. They alway's want to know "how long" you have been studying your art. Really what they are saying is "are you any good?" I then suddenly became the "Karate Guy" at work (because all martial arts are karate of course).

One day I am out to lunch with one of these guys and I see a class brother. We talk for a couple of minutes and then head our seperate ways. My class brother doesn't exactly fit the "yuppie" mold, with his beard and longer hair, so my co-worker was curious as to how I knew this "construction worker". When I told him that he was a class mate of mine, the co-workers response was "He looks like the kind of freak that would get into the martial arts... no offense."

I just shook my head. People have such miss guided ideals on what the typical martial artist is. They think it is something we do just to be tough guys... despite the fact that most of us don't even tell people that we study. One thing I know, its funny, but I have met people of all types in my class, and have forged relationships with people that I never would have before. These folks are salt of the earth. Some are "yuppies", some are construction workers, some are black, and some are white. The bottom line is, these are just good people. I think that the folks that stick with it, are generally the ones with no prejudices or ego.

"There is no try...do, or do not."

shaolinboxer
11-29-2001, 08:03 PM
There are some funny stereotypes in MA.

i.e. the really tall fat guy who hovers around the sifu and tries to be the first one to talk to all the new perspective students...the pragmatic russian who always has a rock hard gaze...the tatooed semi-successful rocker star...the yoga guy...

Any others :)?

shaolinboxer
11-29-2001, 08:03 PM
There are some funny stereotypes in MA.

i.e. the really tall fat guy who hovers around the sifu and tries to be the first one to talk to all the new perspective students...the pragmatic russian who always has a rock hard gaze...the tatooed semi-successful rocker star...the yoga guy...

Any others :)?

qeySuS
11-29-2001, 08:10 PM
same here, no matter how much i try to make them understand i do it mostly for the fun and i'm not a good fighter, they still think i'm some kind of fighting god because i can kick someone in the head. I tried explaining i wouldnt even use that in a fight but still .. Oh well

Free thinkers are dangerous!

qeySuS
11-29-2001, 08:10 PM
same here, no matter how much i try to make them understand i do it mostly for the fun and i'm not a good fighter, they still think i'm some kind of fighting god because i can kick someone in the head. I tried explaining i wouldnt even use that in a fight but still .. Oh well

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Nexus
11-29-2001, 08:15 PM
lol@qeysus, your humbleness glows :)

Martial arts are great fun and a wonderful foundation. They support the main aspects in life that I really enjoy and let me express myself physically, mentally, spiritually as well as just enjoying myself and relaxing. Yes, people do seem to develop definite stereotypes about you though, and my family for a while though that tai chi was making me anti-God *boggles*.

- Nexus

Nexus
11-29-2001, 08:15 PM
lol@qeysus, your humbleness glows :)

Martial arts are great fun and a wonderful foundation. They support the main aspects in life that I really enjoy and let me express myself physically, mentally, spiritually as well as just enjoying myself and relaxing. Yes, people do seem to develop definite stereotypes about you though, and my family for a while though that tai chi was making me anti-God *boggles*.

- Nexus

rubthebuddha
11-29-2001, 08:27 PM
my family thinks wing tsun is a hobby, some friends think it's a sport and can't wait for me to start competing, and the rest have no clue because they know i'm always in class (can never get ahold of me) and they know i teach four nights per week, but they don't see me practicing constantly or challenging people or any of that. about the only people who understand that martial arts isn't just a hobby for me - that it's a life - are my roommates and my ex.

however, considering that i have a very special and healthy core group of friends that i'm very close to, and they like me just as a person without knowing exactly what makes me this type of person, then i guess i'm living up to my own expectations of what it is to be a martial artist. sure, i practice my techniques and skills a lot, but that's nowhere near everything. i help out my friends constantly, make sure the people i care about are well off, work hard at my job, am friendly to everyone i meet - that kind of stuff. if people regard me as a good person, but i can still keep what i know to myself, i think i'm doing a good job.

and i think that goes for a lot of you folks, too. sure, we can banter with each other about martial arts for days on end, but we don't go out of our way and say, "i'm a martial artist. look at me!" we all know that we study, and we all respect that, and we just chat, banter, occasionlly rip on, and just enjoy each other's company. in that, i think we're each doing something right.

-rtb

rubthebuddha
11-29-2001, 08:27 PM
my family thinks wing tsun is a hobby, some friends think it's a sport and can't wait for me to start competing, and the rest have no clue because they know i'm always in class (can never get ahold of me) and they know i teach four nights per week, but they don't see me practicing constantly or challenging people or any of that. about the only people who understand that martial arts isn't just a hobby for me - that it's a life - are my roommates and my ex.

however, considering that i have a very special and healthy core group of friends that i'm very close to, and they like me just as a person without knowing exactly what makes me this type of person, then i guess i'm living up to my own expectations of what it is to be a martial artist. sure, i practice my techniques and skills a lot, but that's nowhere near everything. i help out my friends constantly, make sure the people i care about are well off, work hard at my job, am friendly to everyone i meet - that kind of stuff. if people regard me as a good person, but i can still keep what i know to myself, i think i'm doing a good job.

and i think that goes for a lot of you folks, too. sure, we can banter with each other about martial arts for days on end, but we don't go out of our way and say, "i'm a martial artist. look at me!" we all know that we study, and we all respect that, and we just chat, banter, occasionlly rip on, and just enjoy each other's company. in that, i think we're each doing something right.

-rtb

rubthebuddha
11-29-2001, 08:28 PM
and now back to our regularly scheduled insults, jabs and jokes.

-rtb

rubthebuddha
11-29-2001, 08:28 PM
and now back to our regularly scheduled insults, jabs and jokes.

-rtb

11-29-2001, 08:54 PM
My family looks down on kung fu as an art of hooligans and Triads.

Even my granduncle, a former closed door disciple of one of Chiang Kai Shek's lesser known bodyguards, is doing his best to discourage me from practicing kung fu. He says that "kung fu ruined him" and is hoping that I'll quit.

My younger brother used to think that my kung fu was BS, but now that he's seen me do my current style he has become very supportive of my goal to one day open a kwoon.

I've been very fortunate in real life that people automatically assume that I know kung fu because I'm Chinese. People used to mess with me before I started training - not anymore.

HuangKaiVun
11-29-2001, 08:54 PM
My family looks down on kung fu as an art of hooligans and Triads.

Even my granduncle, a former closed door disciple of one of Chiang Kai Shek's lesser known bodyguards, is doing his best to discourage me from practicing kung fu. He says that "kung fu ruined him" and is hoping that I'll quit.

My younger brother used to think that my kung fu was BS, but now that he's seen me do my current style he has become very supportive of my goal to one day open a kwoon.

I've been very fortunate in real life that people automatically assume that I know kung fu because I'm Chinese. People used to mess with me before I started training - not anymore.

11-29-2001, 09:46 PM
Huang,
Why does your grand uncle say that it ruined him? Physically, mentally or what.

If you dont mind me being curious.

Shaolin36

Shaolin36
11-29-2001, 09:46 PM
Huang,
Why does your grand uncle say that it ruined him? Physically, mentally or what.

If you dont mind me being curious.

Shaolin36

nightair
11-29-2001, 09:48 PM
They always tease me and say that I'm "The Warrrior" ready for war.They say how they wont ever try to scare me because I won't know that is is them and I will break thier neck.That is not the case.I've accidentaly hit them in the face before when they tried to scare me when I walked into a dark room.And when they hit me it never hurts.One guy broke his toe on my shin before. Sometimes I pierce cantalopes and watermelons with my fingertips just to amaze my cousins. And at one family gathering I let everyone throw hard hits at me for 15 seconds fu so yeah they think I'm crazy...Maybe i am :eek:

---------------------------"uh oh, what is going to happen next?"

nightair
11-29-2001, 09:48 PM
They always tease me and say that I'm "The Warrrior" ready for war.They say how they wont ever try to scare me because I won't know that is is them and I will break thier neck.That is not the case.I've accidentaly hit them in the face before when they tried to scare me when I walked into a dark room.And when they hit me it never hurts.One guy broke his toe on my shin before. Sometimes I pierce cantalopes and watermelons with my fingertips just to amaze my cousins. And at one family gathering I let everyone throw hard hits at me for 15 seconds fu so yeah they think I'm crazy...Maybe i am :eek:

nightair
11-29-2001, 09:52 PM
My step dad hates the idea that I study martial arts...he says that it is a waste of my life...he says stuff like,"you don't need to learn Kung-fu you need to study about god...he can defeat any opponent"what a way to encourage your son
:( :rolleyes: :mad: :)

nightair
11-29-2001, 09:52 PM
My step dad hates the idea that I study martial arts...he says that it is a waste of my life...he says stuff like,"you don't need to learn Kung-fu you need to study about god...he can defeat any opponent"what a way to encourage your son
:( :rolleyes: :mad: :)

Budokan
11-29-2001, 10:07 PM
Hate to disappoint your Step Dad, but God isn't going to step in when some guy is coming at your girlfriend with a knife to rape her and all that stands between him and her is YOU.

Depending on God to pull your nuts out of the fire aren't the kind of odds I'd like to take to Vegas--if you know what I mean.

K. Mark Hoover

Budokan
11-29-2001, 10:07 PM
Hate to disappoint your Step Dad, but God isn't going to step in when some guy is coming at your girlfriend with a knife to rape her and all that stands between him and her is YOU.

Depending on God to pull your nuts out of the fire aren't the kind of odds I'd like to take to Vegas--if you know what I mean.

K. Mark Hoover

rubthebuddha
11-29-2001, 10:35 PM
(ferociously shaking dice) c'mon, daddy needs a new pair of kneecaps!

-rtb

nightair
11-29-2001, 10:39 PM
Yeah I know...I don't agree with my father

nightair
11-29-2001, 10:40 PM
My dad says that I only need to know self defense.He says that I'm good enough to beat up street people already.He says that I don't need to study any further. :rolleyes:

Starchaser107
11-29-2001, 11:11 PM
Egads , poor kid. But obviously youve been at the martial arts for a while 8 yrs. according to your profile, thats more than me... I guess your dad feels that it's your decision to make anyway even though he may not be supportive of it..
well good luck. train hard.

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney

Killer Nerd
11-30-2001, 07:05 AM
Not only do they THINK I am crazy..In fact, I AM CRAZY!! Muuuhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahah ah!!!(cackles maniacally)

Jeff Liboiron
11-30-2001, 07:35 AM
My parents say the same thing about Wing Chun, they say it won't get me anywhere in life, and won't earn me 50,000 dollars a year when i want i nice house and all that ****.

Their put downs just make me train harder.

PaleDragon
11-30-2001, 09:36 AM
My girlfriend makes jokes about it and refers to me as a kung fu warrior when introducing me to her friends(i really hate that...makes people defensive to you)...the guys in my band(hey, I fit in that one stereotype except i have no tatoos) used to like for me to show them techniques, but now they don't like how they hurt, and don't want to hear about MA. My best friend starting taking classes w/ me, but dropped out and says he's gonna go back(but i know he won't) he doesn't like to talk about MA either. Everyone else jokes about it and only wants to know when i'll get another "belt" and be able to whip more @$$. But the most common question is ..."why does everything you learn have to break someone's sh!t????"

rubthebuddha
11-30-2001, 09:49 AM
a lot of people i know question why i don't play a particular sport or whatever. i say that for me, i get the same enjoyment out of martial arts that they get from football or hockey, but i get a good deal more than joy. i benefit from it psychologically, emotionally and spiritually - benefits i can't get from football. they mostly say phooey to that. that's when i bring about the big guns - practicality. martial arts has one very practical end result - the ability to protect one's self and loved ones. they grimace at that, and then i unleash my ultimate weapon - even knitting produces a more practical end result than football. THAT, my friends, wins any argument. ;)

-rtb

NorthernMantis
11-30-2001, 08:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nightair:

---------------------------"uh oh, what is going to happen next?"[/quote]

Nightair-

Personally I believe that kung fu is a gift from God given to me.Have you ever tried to tell your step dad?It might change his whole way of thinking around.God can intervene but He doesn't help people more than they can themselves.We are God's servants not the other way around.Your step dad is correct, it is faith in God that helps.Look at the Bible.. the Israelites were really firce warriors but that didn't take away their faith.

I think that your step dad needs to know that God is first in your life and not kung fu.

I always make a personal prayer before I start practice asking for strentgh and knowldge to help practice correctly.I'm sure he'll understand better that way.

Its up to you bud.

"Always be ready"

NorthernMantis
11-30-2001, 10:05 PM
One more thing I don't think my family knows the type of pain that I have to go through 'cause if they did I wouldn't be able to anymore.It pays off in the end though.

"Always be ready"

BiNKy
11-30-2001, 10:12 PM
I never really experienced any negative feedback about martial arts from other Christians. I live in Alabama and go to a southern Baptist church decked out in my gi because I have kung fu right after church. I've heard people saying that they believe meditation is sinful but oh well. Unfortunately alot of people will insult aspects of the martial arts because they think that because its eastern its unholy or something. Ignore the ignorant. My family supports my enthusiasm for the martial arts but I wouldn't go as far to say they are interested in it. My friends know I'm into kung fu but none of my family or friends know how much work I put into training. They consider it a hobby, I consider it more of a lifestyle. I always try to avoid telling just anyone that I'm a martial artist because of the typical crap I'm sure you've all heard before. "Are you any good?", "could you beat up jet li", or being called karate kid. I always threaten to chi blast ignoramuses that say that stuff. The best thing to do is to ask em if they want to see your flying triple spinning dragon back kick, when they say "ya! ya!", do some flashy stuff with your hands, spin around a few times, hop about two inches forward, and yell as you throw a slow sloppy snap kick about ankle - knee high.

SanHeChuan
12-01-2001, 02:56 AM
you mean you people actualy know people who dont know MA, thats wierd i thought everyone one on the planet has atleast take TaeKwonDo. My mother and father did kung fu, my sister and her family does tae kwon do, my friend did jj and bjj. most of the people i meet are from different martial arts classes, from kwons, and college course and clubs. The assitant manager at work was a boxer and talking to me about taking kickboxing from a school i was at for a few weeks.

So no they dont think its wierd. :p

==============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

SanHeChuan
12-01-2001, 02:58 AM
i took karate from a church once, but i only tested once becasue they made you do presentations from the bible :eek:

i jut went to hang out with my best friend, i'm was never really chritian.

==============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

Ginger Fist
12-01-2001, 03:10 AM
--don't worry, about a couple of decades the rough edges smooth out & no 1 will b able to tell.

BiNKy
12-01-2001, 03:12 AM
PaleDragon, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes if word gets out that you're a martial artist then some guys will get defensive about it or try to kid you about it. I really think that the 5 year old blackbelts in mcdojos have hurt the reputation of hard training martial artists. Perhaps we should go by another name... I mean think about the sound of martial artist. Perhaps the 'artist' part doesn't invoke the respect of a more descriptive word like 'warrior' or 'super human elite fighter people'. Just a thought, I could be wrong.

NorthernMantis
12-02-2001, 06:52 AM
ttt

"Always be ready"

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-02-2001, 08:22 AM
sharky is correct.

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-02-2001, 08:23 AM
people think i'm nuts cause i fu ck .. i mean see . . dead people.

where's my beer?