PDA

View Full Version : Gonna train my phoenix eye

Castlevania
11-29-2001, 01:36 PM
How to train it?
Is it possible to strike a heavy bag or even trees with "eye",or is it too hard for the joint?

Stranger
11-29-2001, 03:33 PM
I once read an article by Gin Foo Mark (sp.?) on Southern Praying Mantis' internal conditioning of the phoenix-eye fist.

The first level of training was placing the phoenix-eye fist against a wall and leaning into it with the proper accompanying breathing patterns. The impact of striking with the phoenix-eye fist is apparently too damaging unless the finger has been conditioned prior to the beginning of strike training. Your weight pushing the phoenix-eye fist into the wall should be enough resistance to be challenging in the beginning without the danger of impact related injuries.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

phoenix-eye
11-29-2001, 03:37 PM
Fit a wooden board to a wall. Glue five medium/stiff rubber pads approximately 4 inches (100mm) diameter wide in the following shape roughly approaching the size of a human torso.

O
O O

O

O

Phoenix eye punch the rubber discs in a regular pattern.

This is the advised method from Cheong Cheng Leong's books on Chuka Shaolin.

Hope this helps.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

phoenix-eye
11-29-2001, 03:39 PM
Sorry shape didn't come out right...

circle at top centre (throat level)

circle at left bicep level

circle at right bicep level

circle at solar plexus

circle at groin area

should look like a cross shape.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Richie
11-29-2001, 04:06 PM
Why don't ask you teacher to teach you? What style do you do anyway?

For traditional kung fu go to www.taishingpekkwar.com (http://www.taishingpekkwar.com)

Colin
11-29-2001, 04:34 PM
Practice single knuckle pushups.
Start be leaning against a wall (plaster board is good as it gives slightly.)
You'll find you can't even take your own weight on the knuckles to start with, but persevere.
Just lean into the wall a few times every day for a week.
You'll soon get used to the pain!
Then get on the floor. Use a nice carpeted area coz it's soft! Do your pushups on your knees until you can take your whole weight.
Then once you've got into the position. ie normal pushups position but on single knuckles you're well on your way.

We generally don't just do the excerise with the knuckle straight, but use a kind of forward "rolling" motion,so the side of the little finger is also on the ground to start, then as you move up and down in the pushups, you roll forward and back on the knuckle. This also strengthens the wrist.
Please note: This hurts like hell! But it does get easier in time.
I was once told that it is NOT pain, only mild discomfort! LOL easy for them to say!
In a relatively short time period ( a couple of months ) you should be able to do 10-20 reps.

Good luck,
CT..............

Castlevania
11-29-2001, 05:49 PM
Well,thanks a lot!
I have only done the martial art of aikido as there is no kung-fu in my area,I´m doing lots of self-studying.Later I will move to an area which has a good kung-fu teaching.

Jaguar Wong
11-29-2001, 06:00 PM
Well, if you're not doing kung fu in a regulated style/environment, then why do you want to develop your pheonix eye? It would be more beneficial to learn the proper mechanics behind a straight hand strike then you can apply it to all sorts of things like the jab, willow palm, the fist, etc. It just seems that specializing in a particular weapon seems kinda counter productive if you're not starting with the very basics.

I don't mean to say that you can't punch, but learning all the details behind a well executed strike is more than enough to keep a "self studying" martial artist busy for quite a while. I still practice the proper mechanics over and over again, and I've been doing Northern Shaolin since Feb. of 95 (Ok, so that's not very long, but I'm still doing basics :)). I haven't even started to develop specific weapons, because I don't know what my best weapons are until I have a lot of experience using the skills.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just questioning your intent, and offering a better use of time.

Jaguar Wong
The 6th Deadly Venom!

Jaguar's Wife (To "Judo" Gene Lebell): "Excuse me, my friend (Tigerstyle) wants to know if we can take a picture of you choking him."
Gene LeBell (in a gravely voice): "If he don't mind, I don't mind."
- actual event from DragonFest 1999