PDA

View Full Version : tit sin kuen/iron wire

brucelee2
11-12-2001, 08:11 AM
HI,

I'm wondering how long it 'typically' takes in your hung gar schools for a student to be taught the iron wire set. I realize that this is a general question. thanks-

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy
enemy. Verily, thou
shalt herald the coming
of the new age upon
man."

jon
11-12-2001, 02:54 PM
This really depends on the student. Generaly speaking though it shouldnt be taught before a STRONG foundation in the art. I havent learnt it yet so cant speak with much athority but i can say it should only be taught after the student has TOTALY learnt all the other piller forms and can express them with full energy and breathing concepts.
It builds on the other forms so to teach it without the student knowing them would be pointless.
Its really going to come down to the individual i mean IF the student was to learn the rest of the system quickly and had that base then so be it but otherwise you simply have to wait untill they do.
There are two good reasons for not teaching Iron wire early though.
1 Ive heard its possible to internaly injure yourself if you dont already have a good base and judging from the limited clips ive seen of it I would attest to that.
2 Its also kinda pointless if you dont already have a good comand of energy and how to manipulate it you would just be slowly moving your hands around and recive no real benifit from it.
Is this becouse you want to teach someone it or becouse your curious?

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

brucelee2
11-12-2001, 07:54 PM
Because I'm curious and excited to learn it. Why do you think its an odd question? I like 'internal' stuff so I'm looking forward to learning it.

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy
enemy. Verily, thou
shalt herald the coming
of the new age upon
man."

jon
11-13-2001, 03:42 AM
Didnt mean to make it sound like a bad question it wasnt.
Mainly just odd as in that it is really just taught at the end of the training so there is no real time frame for learning it.
Still dont let it become the focus of your training there are MANY internal elements to Hung Ga other than just iron wire.
Also most schools start to teach the basics of iron wire and many of the breathing and sound techs long before the actual form is taught.
So your proberly already learning something about it without even knowing it.
Still as i say dont rush there you will find a whole wealth of internal elements in the system.
Its a misconception that Hung is a hard style.
It simply teachs external first.
Remember this art was designed in war times when it was vital students could use the techs without toooo much training.
Still at the higher ends no art can survive on strengtb alone.
All the piller forms contain a LOT of internal elements.
Still good to hear you are enjoying the style and the internal elements im sure you will find well worth the wait and training.

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

whippinghand
11-15-2001, 03:13 AM
Have you asked your sifu?

brucelee2
11-15-2001, 04:17 AM
Whipping Hand,

Yeah. He just laughed and told me not to worry about it- a long time. And he also said that anyway the elements of it are present throughout the system- such as ki sau.

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy