PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu and Chi Gung festival (Burwood, Sydney, Australia)

Aussie John
11-15-2001, 01:37 AM
Good'ay to all,
There is a big kung fu festival on in Burwood Park (opposite Westfield Shopping Centre) on the 25th, Nov 2001.

Just to let everybody know that Chin Woo will be performing on the day.

Cheers,

Aussie John.

friday
11-15-2001, 01:49 AM
Hi Aussie John,

How are you? I have been in contact with Steve Richards before and hopefully can refer to him as my friend.
I will be at Burwood having yum cha with some family on the 25th and hope to drop by at Burwood Park, I am sure it will be worth seeing.
If I am able to meet you there it will be good.
Good luck with your performances. would you be able to tell me what styles etc will be performing then?

regards,

friday
11-15-2001, 01:50 AM
Hi Again Aussie John

Would you be able to tell me what time the events are scheduled to take place?

thanks

Aussie John
11-15-2001, 02:02 AM
Good'ay,
I don't know you at all???? so I can't make any recommendations.

I don't have the list of the performers on the day, but I will try to get it from Master Zhao and post it here.

Cheers,

Aussie John.

friday
11-15-2001, 02:07 AM
Hi John

thanks for your prompt reply, a list of the styles would be good.
Yes you don't know me at all, I was wondering whether I could change that. My friend Steve Richards told me that I could try contacting you to get a copy of some videos he has sent to you before (pls check with him - just in case he has changed his mind).
as for recommendations I am not sure what you are referring to. I only wish to have a look at the festival.

regards,

Aussie John
11-15-2001, 02:19 AM
Good'ay Friday,
I will contact Sihing Steve today, as for the videos, they are only for the students of our Pai.

Anyway, can you contact me directly 0425 266 839 on the day (25-11-2001), anyway I would like to meet you on the day.
Are you a bak hok student of master Chan Hak Fu??

Cheers,

John.

friday
11-15-2001, 02:29 AM
Hi Aussie John,

I think the videos he was referring to were not ones specifically of your pai. Anyway, I am sure your contact with Steve will sort things out.

As for lineages, I will tell you when we meet up. I like to remain anonymous on this site. Chan Hak Fu is not my sifu. He is one of my sigong.

Thanks for your contact number, I might ring you up later today just to touch base with you.

regards,

joedoe
11-15-2001, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I will see if I can make it.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Aussie John
11-15-2001, 05:15 AM
Good'ay Friday,
I look forward hearing from you, BTW do you speak Cantonese or Mandarin???

Cheers,

Aussie John.

friday
11-15-2001, 06:43 AM
Hi John,

May I ask whether there will be any Pak Hok People demonstrating? Just curious thanks.

regards,

fiercest tiger
11-15-2001, 07:06 AM
thanks mate ill come and watch do you have an idea what time?

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Aussie John
11-15-2001, 07:45 AM
Good'ay Friday and Garry,
I will see Master Zhao this Saturday to see if I can get the performer's list and also the time. I am sure it would be a whole day event starting from 10.00am.

I was in the Chin Woo meeting last week, they told me it has generated many participants from external and internal pais. So it an event not to be missed.

Why don't you guys get involve with this event, I am sure it would be fantastic to see you guys there performing yau Kung moon and bak Hok gung fu. If you wish to participate, please contact John Summerfield at Chin Woo for details.

Cheers mate,

Aussie John.

Yum Cha
11-15-2001, 09:05 AM
Hey, Kudos to whomever organised the event, Sydney has needed a get-together like this for awhile.

I'll see if I can make it down for a squizz, that is if Pak Mei is welcome...

Otherwise, I'll have to come down incognito... ;)

tnwingtsun
11-15-2001, 09:23 AM
Sydney sounds like a GREAT place to live!!

fiercest tiger
11-15-2001, 10:51 AM
because it is a wonderful place, we are lucky here in OZ!

maybe next year, and i have enough guys on higher levels to do different form, weapons, etc.

ill definetly go to see this year and then ill get some guys ready next year. is it demos or full contact fighting? i have guys for full contact, but most of my guys are only 2 levels(forms) so our demo would be quick and would be a little boring. :rolleyes:

see you guys and take care :)

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Aussie John
11-16-2001, 12:19 AM
Good'ay to all,
All Pais are welcome at the event.
I will post the list hopefully today when I meet up with master Simon Zhao.

Please do not hestitate to join in the fun, I am sure you will find it rewarding. There will be many masters there on the day, I am sure it is an excellent event to see and also meet up with them.

Cheers,

Aussie John

fiercest tiger
11-16-2001, 03:46 AM
are video cameras aloud, i would mind taping it for my library?

cya :)

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Aussie John
11-17-2001, 01:21 AM
Good'ay to all,
I don't think filming would be a problem, it is a public event and not a private one.

Time 10.00am - 12.30pm

The performer list will be on the Sing Tao Newspaper tomorrow, I will find out more in due course.

The latest news : I have spoken to Master Zhao this morning, he told me that there are three organisations would NOT be attending due to competitions are held on the same day in diffrent locations. I am sad to announce that Chin Woo Athletic Association is NOT attending on this occasion, however I still be attending on the day, but not performing with my team.

Cheers,

Aussie John.

Yum Cha
11-18-2001, 02:39 AM
How about a synopsis?

Yum Cha
11-19-2001, 09:27 AM
Hey John,
Is this organised by Chin Woo, or Burwood Council, or another organisation?

Anybody got a synopsis of the days events or a schedule?

Thanks in advance.

Aussie John
11-20-2001, 01:18 AM
Good'ay Yum Cha,
Chin Woo is not the organiser, I think is the Tai Chi and Bagua association of Sydney who organised it. I am sure they must have the permission from Burwood Council to organise such an event. Check with them or the newspapers.

Master Zhao told me the event was advertised on most Chinese newspapers on the last few days, he hasn't been able to give me a list, but he told me the show is on at 11.00am (one day only)

Cheers,

Aussie John.

triskellin
11-21-2001, 04:37 PM
Burwood Council seems to be having alot of festivals these days. A few mths ago they blocked off of Burwood Rd and set up stalls, and apparently there was drumming, but with no lion, haha. I'm gonna try and take a look, but knowing me I'd probably sleep in. my sis lives across the rd, so PARTY AT HER PLACE! everyone invited, look for the skinny tall chick with no friends. lol :D

To see what you want to see is worse than being blind.

Aussie John
11-25-2001, 01:12 AM
Good'ay to all,
It was good to see so many old and new friends in Burwood yesterday. It is also interesting to see the Wu Tang ( Mo Dong ) kung fu group performing their forms. Also some Bak Mei and Loong Ying kung fu.

Cheers,

Aussie John.

fiercest tiger
11-25-2001, 01:25 AM
sorry i didnt get there it was a nice day for it alittle hot too!

what teacher from bak mei and lung ying performed?

:)

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Aussie John
11-25-2001, 01:51 AM
Hi Garry,
Yes,it was too hot to do anything, but we managed to get some shade under a tree.
I think the students of Master Chow Fu's school was performing the drumming and sets.

Cheers,

Aussie John

fiercest tiger
11-25-2001, 02:00 AM
its been a while since ive seen master chow fu, he was very close to my sifu and to ykm.

i wish i did go now!

:(

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Aussie John
11-25-2001, 02:36 AM
Good'ay Garry,
Not to worry, there is another performance this Sunday 2-12-2000 in Flemington next to the railway station (Asian Cultural Festival). I was going to post it here once I recieved the confirmation.

I was invited by Strathfield Council to perform there. I don't know if Master Chow is going to be there, however David Lau the organiser will let me know in due course.

Would you like your team to perform on this occasion?? If so would you email me at choicechem@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Aussie John.

fiercest tiger
11-25-2001, 03:23 AM
ill check whats happening with myself this weekend, see if any students of mine wanna do a demo etc.

thats if they arent at the beach or something!

cya :)

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

lungyuil
11-25-2001, 03:37 AM
Aussie john,
which one were you. Did you perform?
I was there on sunday, the demo was interesting. I agree the Wudang schools forms were different and interesting.

The one that got me interested was the shaolin monk. Do you know which school he is from? Very interesting especially his dragon form and the initial stretching. I wonder if that is part of the form or just an initial stretch?

As for pak mei, a good show. Cannonfist i think was there performing the pole and a handform. Maybe he can give us a take on that

triskellin
11-25-2001, 05:37 AM
the lung ying set was performed by 2 boys from the avalon school. their lineage is from sifu yip wing hong, and they performed sam tung. which set from the shaolin monk was meant to be a dragon one? i was told from one of the wudang guys that he demos representing only himself.

lungyuil
11-25-2001, 08:13 AM
Triskellin,
The form was called the shaolin dragon form. He only performed 2. the first was the empty hand set called the shaolin dragon form(i think shaolin) and the second was his broadsword form.

triskellin
11-25-2001, 08:25 AM
oh ok, yep i remember now. i think the stretching was part of the form, because he did a flip, then landed in the splits, and proceeded to stretch...

fiercest tiger
11-25-2001, 08:37 AM
sure it wasnt shaolin master?

LOL flip into the splits then into the form. sounded like a great kung fu demo..? maybe :eek:

true shaolin wushu huh?

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

triskellin
11-25-2001, 09:01 AM
hehe, yes true shaolin wushu, but he still had good acrobatic skills! i do not know his name, but i've seen him somewhere before. he was wearing the full shaolin monk attire (does it 'breathe'? otherwise he would have boiled half to death), and he had a tattoo on one of his arms.

lungyuil
11-25-2001, 09:09 AM
thats the one. His empty hand form was interesting. There was the lady there who's music had stopped while she performed the slow form (wu-shu), then she had to restart again. the other form she performed was a fan form.Who is she and what is her style.

Also , why do people play music when performing Tai Chi. They mostly all do it. Is it tho get them in the mood for the form, their timing or just for relaxation?

One of the Pak Mei boys was a really good drummer for the Lion dance.

triskellin
11-25-2001, 09:15 AM
well i can't say much about the tai chi cause i know nothing about it, but the bak mei guy is a professional lion dancer. cf get him to teach u the stacks, give u a good workout, lol. :D

lungyuil
11-25-2001, 09:26 AM
Triskellin,
were you there with the Pak Mei guys while they were playing the drums? did you play the drum? Because i think i saw you as i was directly opposite on the other side.

triskellin
11-25-2001, 09:34 AM
yeah that's me! :cool: i didn't know they were gonna be there, but played the drums for them when they were lion dancing. which one were u? did u perform?

lungyuil
11-25-2001, 09:53 AM
I was on the other side with all the Chinese people. I was wearing shorts with a hat and sunglasses on and a blue hawaian (sp?. Chow Fu asked you to demonstrate. Why didn't you? ;)

I didn't perform although i would have liked to.

triskellin
11-25-2001, 10:28 AM
i wasn't wearing appropriate clothing, and i wasn't there with my sifu. i don't think he would have appreciated me taking it upon myself to demo for my school.

CannonFist
11-25-2001, 12:30 PM
Yes, I was the one performing the Pak Mei pole and hand form (Sup Ji Kwan and Sei Mah Lin Wan). My sihing was performing the double butterfly swords (Choi Wan Lau Yip Seung Tou).

Yes, I thought the Wudang school of Sun Da Fa had some interesting forms like their Baji and Xing Yi.

Also there was a Wu style (of Wu Chien Chuan) taiji master who was performing the push hands who I was told is the son in law of Wu Kong Yi.

fiercest tiger
11-25-2001, 03:41 PM
did you tape it at all?

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

lungyuil
11-25-2001, 11:15 PM
Cannonfist,

I thought it was you, just not sure. Good demo, the internal stuff was interesting however i am not much for watching slow internal forms. They can just go on for ages.

To me all internal looks the same, but i guess those who study it can tell the difference.

I was surprised that more schools didn't show up for demos. I thought it was going to be bigger than that.

Yum Cha
11-26-2001, 07:00 AM
Was the Pak Mei drummer Chau Fu's oldest son, David I think his name is? If so, he is indeed an excellent drummer.

Sounds like it was a top day. I had a 3 year olds birthday party to supervise.... :(

fiercest tiger
11-26-2001, 09:42 AM
was there a chi kung teacher there called Dr You from Yum Sum Pai?

anyone know him? :eek:

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Aussie John
11-26-2001, 01:08 PM
Good'ay to all,
Fantastic to see you guys are having such a constructive conversation.
Good stuffs!

I was sitting with my wife and kids and some friends under a tree directly opposite the large banner.

Cheers,

Aussie John.

CannonFist
11-27-2001, 12:24 AM
Fiercest Tiger: No I do not have a tape of it myself but I was videoing portions of it for someone else.

Yum Cha: No, the drummer wasn't David.

Lung Yuil: Yes, I know what you mean about internal going for ages. But for those that are into taiji will apprciate the rare Wu/Hao style taiji performed by the Wudang group.

CannonFist
11-27-2001, 12:27 AM
Are you a southern praying mantis practitioner? If you are the guy that I saw sitting opposite the banner and if I am not mistaken I have seen you performing Sarm Bo Jin and I think Yum Yeung Kum Lah Sau in previous gatherings.

Aussie John
11-27-2001, 02:57 AM
Good'ay Cannon Fist,
Yes you're right, that's me!

Did you see me at the Chiu Chow Association Head Office at Cambramatta for the Bejing 2008 meeting?

Cheers,

Aussie John.

fiercest tiger
11-27-2001, 03:02 AM
where is you school i would love to come and say hello if thats kool.

ying and yang seizing hands is that like ip sous chow gars? :D

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Aussie John
11-27-2001, 03:15 AM
Good'ay Garry,
My school is at the Bankstown Fitness Network Gym, The old bakery shopping centre in 63-64 Simmat Ave, Condell Park. I teach my beginner students there on Monday and Wednesday night from 7.30 to 9.00pm. If you wish to make a visit you can give me a call on 0425 266 839.

Cheers,

Aussie John.

fiercest tiger
11-27-2001, 03:25 AM
ok ill give you a call later, gotta go and teach now!

talk soon

garry

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Aussie John
11-27-2001, 02:17 PM
Good'ay Garry,
Fantastic. Just give me a call, I look forward meeting you in our gym.

Cheers,

Aussie John