PDA

View Full Version : Wushu BC event...

firepalm
11-18-2001, 10:22 AM
Did anyone attend the Wushu BC event this weekend in Richmond? The kids in the forms events were just out of this world. :cool:

iron_silk
11-19-2001, 08:40 AM
were the kids from one particular school or was it competing schools of kids?

firepalm
11-19-2001, 10:11 AM
It was a good event overall, all competitive divisions (wushu, traditional, internal & fighting) showed quite high levels but it was the wushu forms kids that stood out. As to the kids, they were essentially from four groups Ken Low's, West Coast, Shung Ying & SY Liang. Many of these kids competed in as many as four or more events. These are just a few of the standouts (they're were certainly more); Candice Wong of Ken Low's was an overall outstanding performer & fought as well. West Coast team standouts were Amy Lew (awesome Ditang & Southern) & Kathy Trinh (fantastic straight sword, Ermei daggers & best Long Fist of the day). Shung Ying standouts were Sam Woo (outstanding youngster at 8 yrs ), Gordon Yiu (did excellent spear & steel whip) & Hilbert Yiu Jr (great Pu Dao routine & broadsword). Simon Ho of SY Liang's did a fabulous 3 section staff. Overall the kids were just outstanding. Iron & Silk your sifu Master Wong Ha was there as well. You didn't make it in?

iron_silk
11-20-2001, 02:02 AM
...I actually haven't contacted my master in a long time...kind of regret it...but I have planned to see him about continuing my kung fu studies this December.

Tekarius
11-20-2001, 07:16 AM
Firepalm, I don't know if you saw him, but did you see Sam Li perform?

firepalm
11-20-2001, 08:02 AM
Yes I saw him perform at the night time show only, he gave a fine performance of his spear & steel whip routine along with the other members of Ken Low's Shaolin Kung Fu Wushu Training Center. Surprisingly though Sam did not compete during the day. :confused: Tekarius were you there?

Tekarius
11-20-2001, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't go, but I heard it was an awesome performance. I think the tickets were only 15$ or something like that....

So Firepalm what style are you from?

firepalm
11-22-2001, 12:28 AM
The night time performance was very good, all groups & masters performed exceptionally well. I would have to say the standouts were S.Y. Liang Wushu Institute, Ken Low's Shaolin Kung Fu Wushu, Bruce Fontaine's West Coast Wushu Demo Team, Shung Ying Kung Fu Club & Hansen Li's movie fight.

As to myself I no longer study (did a couple of different things) just train a little on my own for health & recreation. Have lots of friends in the community & like to stay in touch... ;)