PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know where i can find this book

chen zhen
11-22-2001, 09:51 PM
"choy lay fut kung fu, the dynamic art of fighting" by lee koon hoong
the only internet site that has it is Wing Lam enterprices, but they do'nt want to take credit cards in these times for some reason. does anyone know where else i can find it on the internet?(cheap)

Sow Choy
11-22-2001, 09:57 PM
Hello,

My school is the Lee Koon Hung Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu Association. Please go to our website:

www.leekoonhungkungfu.com (http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com)

The book is $10 USD, and shipping international for 1 book is $5 USD, so the total would be $15 USD.

If you want to use a credit card, go to the site and send an email with the information asked on the supply page.

It's a great book, and is a must have for all martial artists.

Peace

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/images/JoewithHooks.jpg

Ginger Fist
11-23-2001, 05:04 AM
sow choy, u say this is a must have tome 4 all m.a. 4 ? reasons do u say this? is the work of such a nature as 2 examine certain univeral constants in the tcma from a CLF basis? does the book present a partiuclarly deep or novel insight in2 ur well proven in battle system? i understand the historical significance of the written work w/in the great CLF family, but ? about it makes it valuable 2 those outside ur system? thanx if u care 2 reply, no beef or flames if u don't.

iron_silk
11-23-2001, 05:18 AM
I think the line sounds like an ad for all books martial arts related. Doesn't mean it ain't true though. For me I found great application of my CLF forms in that book, and for those who doesn't study CLF, i think it would give insight into how CLF system applies itself.

They again it's just a saying...the usefulness is still dependant on the user of the book. :)

iron_silk
11-23-2001, 05:23 AM
actually I had one more question for you!

I have bought the Dynamic fighting book, and the 3 booklets on Whirling Staff set, Spear set, and Dragon Fan&Che Kuen sets.

Although I the spear set booklet included application of the form, the Whirling Staff and Dragon Fan booklet didnot included application inside. I asked the martial arts store which i bought from, and they told me it came like that in all the booklets they sold. They called the original publiser but there was nothing.

Do you know if they sell it now with or without application?

SaMantis
11-23-2001, 05:25 AM
To answer your question, GF ...

>>is the work of such a nature as 2 examine certain univeral constants in the tcma from a CLF basis? <<

Well, yeah: there are universal constants in TCMA, such as stances. And you're getting the CLF view in this book.

>> does the book present a partiuclarly deep or novel insight in2 ur well proven in battle system? i understand the historical significance of the written work w/in the great CLF family, but ? about it makes it valuable 2 those outside ur system? <<

A well-written book in any style of MA is worth looking at, and Master Lee Koon Hung's book is excellent. It is especially significant because, sad to say, Master Hung is no longer with us and cannot pass down his knowledge in person. (However, LKH-CLF remains a great school.)

The value you get out of it is up to you. Lots of people read "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" but don't study JKD. They are interested in Bruce Lee's perspective, though.

I've read books from different systems including TKD; some are valuable, others are not (even one that was recommended to me, I didn't like -- that was just my own perspective).

Hope this helps. :)

Sam

Umm ... yeahhhhhh ... that's grrrreat ... -- Lumbergh

Ginger Fist
11-23-2001, 12:02 PM
>>is the work of such a nature as 2 examine certain univeral constants --

Well, yeah: there are universal constants in TCMA, such as stances. And you're getting the CLF view in this book.

answers the ? -- thanx

>> does the book present a partiuclarly deep or novel insight in2 ur well proven in battle system? --

A well-written book in any style of MA is worth looking at, and Master Lee Koon Hung's book is excellent. It is especially significant because, sad to say, Master Hung is no longer with us and cannot pass down his knowledge in person. (However, LKH-CLF remains a great school.)

didn't know that 'bout ur teacher. good he produced some historical stuff that will survive him, thanx 4 the answers.

chen zhen
11-23-2001, 09:28 PM
Thanks Sow Choy, i actually knew that site already. I should have researched a little better.
and the book is also cheaper there, if i had ordered it from Wing Lam Enterprices, it would have been 50 dollars in total! :eek: unbelievable.

Sow Choy
11-24-2001, 12:53 AM
Hello,

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Of course Lee Koon Hung was my sifu and I love the guy dearly, but I believe his book "Dynamic Art of Fighting" is an excellent read. It's very informative, great explnations of stancework, movement, hand techniques, kicks, self-defense and even some training tips.

Not too much on the history, in fact I believe it was printed wrong. The history he taught and that of the book is different. He told us the books have many mistakes since he didn't speak English or have complete control over the projects, so certain arrows are wrong, but nonetheless it is a great book on Choy Lay Fut.

I like to learn about different arts, to see our differences and similarities.

The other books do not have application, I have seen Dragon Fan applications, but I am not sure why they are not included.

Take care everyone! :)

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/images/JoewithHooks.jpg

yik-wah-tik
11-26-2001, 08:44 PM
i also have the book from lee koon hung. i too have learned a few new ways to execute clf based on lkh's book. it is an excellent read for anyone wishing to compare branches and to see the vast variations.

but, i am a student of Jew Tien Loong, and i enjoy his perspective when it comes to applications for our choy lee fut. every sifu does his choy lee fut based on his own fighting experience. there are basic applications to techniques. but it is up to us to further those applications by creating variations so those that are not of clf would not know exactly what we do.

in today's society all one has to do is watch a gung fu movie and practice a technique or two and can become very proficient with it and hurt someone.

lee koon hung is one of the only sifu's that my sifu will ever praise. he has been blessed by being able to perform on stage with master lkh. we have a few photo's on our walls of my studio with master lee koon hung and my sifu. master lee koon hung was also close with my sigung Jew leong.

i have recently purchased the drunken form, and i was extremely impressed at the end of the video there was a clip of master lkh performing. WOW!

FRAN

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"