PDA

View Full Version : Martial Artists in the Tough Man.

Daedalus
11-22-2001, 09:25 PM
Although, I'm not really a big fan of the tough man competitions, I do find them interesting.

I have had several friends (skilled martial artists)who entered a tough man competition and got their @$ handed to them.

Come to think of it, I have never seen a martial artist do well in tough man competitions.

Why do you guys think that martial artists don't do well in the tough man?

MASTERMAN
11-22-2001, 11:36 PM
My experience with people in general, they can't to do Toughman Stuff. Why? They must take it as well as dish it out. And that's the problem the average MA student hate to experience the physical...

Peace,

Dave Simmons
www.mnkenpo.com (http://www.mnkenpo.com)

omegapoint
11-24-2001, 01:34 AM
Is this a trick question? A REAL man and/or martial player would NEVER, EVER, EVER join such a crude display of idiocy.

PS: Wake up before you're caught in the middle of a serious tempest...

Dan_uk
11-24-2001, 02:20 AM
Hello there.
Well with regards to the toughman competitions, I personally think that they are just for BIG Ego's who think they have got something to prove. I find it laughable to watch a bunch of overweight men in giant gloves and baggy shorts waving their arms around trying to knock the other out to prove how "tough" and in alot of cases unfit they really are.

But if that's what floats their boat, who are we to moan?

With regards to the martial artists getting their a***s kicked ( not litterally ) kicking, kneeing, elbowing etc etc isn't really allowed so it's really who can hit the hardest. You do find however that the guys with boxing experience do well and with the size of some of those guys in the competition if your caught with a lucky shot, whoever you are, your going down.

Everyone has the right to defend themselves effectively.

Budokan
11-25-2001, 11:45 PM
Sadly, there are a lot of MA walking around with big egos as well.

K. Mark Hoover

rogue
11-26-2001, 04:53 AM
Last year I watched two guys become "champs" by swinging wild haymakers. I think the fighters were busy trying to fight them and not drop them. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

apoweyn
11-27-2001, 11:42 PM
i've never understood the ego argument. take two martial artists. one is entering into a situation where he KNOWS that there's some chance he'll be beaten in front of an audience. the other doesn't put himself in that position. which one is taking less chances with their ego?

maybe some people compete to boost their ego (but that's a gamble). maybe some people DON'T compete to preserve their ego. and some people don't compete because they feel no need to.

making assumptions based on observations like this seems doomed to inaccuracy.

but to answer the question, i've seen a muay thai guy compete in the tough man. mistakes were made. he got to bed early that night.

stuart b.

Suntzu
12-14-2001, 02:18 PM
in my most houmble observation, in toughman comps both get suckered into the put your head down and beat the crap out of each other mode. Which I think can/does happen to MA's in theses situations.

Case in point, I was 'playing' with a buddy of mine. We were 'going to the body', love that game but **** does it hurt. So were toe to toe whalin' on each other. I felt at a disadvantage because I was 'suckered' into just whalin' with no technique, there no moving, blocking, dodging what ever. but when we got in a cluch i felt in control and took control. i'm not a grappler but i fight well in the clinch. just thot i'd toot my own horn for a sec since we were on ego's.

DragonzRage
01-10-2002, 02:13 PM
I remember a couple specific cases of MA guys in the toughman when i watched it on FX. The sad thing is that the training did not do much to help the majority of them. I remember one guy who was hyped in his intro for having a black belt in Kenpo, but he couldn't punch worth crap and spent the majority of his fight cringing away and retreating fearfully from his opponent's barrage. He either got KO'ed in the first or second round. Another guy in the Police vs Firefighters tourney was a police karate instructor. First of all, the guy looked extremely out of shape. Secondly, his punching skills weren't any better than the last guy. Thirdly, he got punched a lot and seemed to have a heart attack or something and had to quit. However there was one black karate/boxer guy named Kenny "the Punisher" Pompey who enjoyed some moderate success in the toughman. Now that guy was pretty tough. He had his share of victories and always fought hard, although he lost in the championships. I also remember some young generation-x type snowboarder kid who also trained muay thai. His boxing skills were sloppy/mediocre at best but at least he knew how to take some punishment and dish a little back out. He won one match by decision and lost another by decision...in his second match he was clearly outclassed.

I don't understand all this crap about ego that people are talking about. Okay, so toughman contest doesn't always attract the most savory characters and there is a bit testosterone overload throughout it all. But we all have our own personal challenges that we wish to face. And as someone else said above, there are a crap load of MA'ists walking around with big egos to...and i'm not just tlaking about MMA types and fighters. Let's face it, half the reason people train in any MA today is for ego. Regardless of style, we all want to look ourselves in the mirror and have more confidence in what we see. We want to be able to know that we can out box or choke out that drunk a$$hole on the street, or we want to be praised for our black belts or whatever by those around us. Some of us are simply more willing to go out and put our ego on the line to see what we really have. If getting in the ring and testing your ability is not your cup of tea, then fine. But that is no reason to downgrade others who do it as having ego problems. IMO, that just shows how insecure you are. When it comes down to it, those who have this attitude seem to like to hide behind their martial artist status and convey some aura of humble controlled deadliness. But its all image. When the punches really fly, these guys simply don't have any real confidence in themselves or are deep down inside aware that they have no fighting skills. We should keep in mind that full contact competition is one very challenging avenue by which one can truly gauge their skill level. Its not necessarily about inflated egos. In fact, it shows that you are willing to put your ego on the line.

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 11:17 PM
I dont think theres anything wrong with Toughman competitions. You hate forms competitions and you hate fighting competitions, What do you like. Some people are just willing to go the extra distance to test their skills. Their not happy with doing forms and practicing prearranged fighting sets. It's takes guts to willingly test yourself especially on national tv. You look down on these men but you forget that the men who created the styles you practice did a helluva lot more fighting. Whether it was in an official tourney, or a street fight. How else would they know their techniques worked without using them. How else would they improve. I realize most are there just to win prize money but some are genuinely trying to better themselves. You shouldn't s h i t on everyone or jump to conclusions

Asia
01-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Err... I remember watching 2 MA win toughman. One was a black Goju karate guy and I can't recall the other. (have to dig through the tapes)

Funny thing is toughman isn't THAT serious of a competeition most of the guys are just regular blokes who want to just get in the ring and pound someone, anyone remembers the guys name that got arrested after he lost? He had PYSCHO tattooed on his stomach!!! Apt!

When I was stateside I went to local ones, promos they had at several bars, clubs, etc. I enter a few, after a couple of drinks I'll do almost anything:D <not that perverts> I won everymatch I entered, but thats me can't compare that with your average nonmeglomaniactic optomist:D

i've never understood the ego argument. take two martial artists. one is entering into a situation where he KNOWS that there's some chance he'll be beaten in front of an audience. the other doesn't put himself in that position. which one is taking less chances with their ego?

VERY GOOD POINT!!!! Who has the bigger ego the one who is willing to take a gamble and prove himself or the one who doesn't have the guts to step up?