PDA

View Full Version : Do you share?

IronFist
11-04-2001, 10:42 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if you discovered/learned a new method of training that was 10x as effective as anything you had previously tried, would you keep it to yourself or would you share it with others who may be interested (friends, training partners, etc).

Would you share it with others, or would you keep it to yourself thus giving you a huge advantage?

Just curious. I think this is what some of the old masters struggled with when teaching students who were deemed "not worthy" of the entire style.

Note that I do not want "I would market and sell it" as an answer :)

And no, I haven't discovered anything spectacular (at least I don't think so), I'm just curious. If you had some rad training technique would you tell others?

Iron

Crimson Phoenix
11-04-2001, 12:13 PM
Dang, you stole my answer hahahahah
No, really, I would first study my own method for a long time, test it and expose it to reknowned or skilled experts and then start sharing it with a limited number of persons I trust when I feel that I'm competent enough to teach...
Some treasures should be exposed, but not too much ;)

Ish
11-04-2001, 02:28 PM
I would show some people like friends and people that i could trust not to abuse what i tought them, I would ask my teaches opinion and then train that way

honorisc
11-04-2001, 03:44 PM
Hopefully not.

Crimson Phoenix, you would have shared your new whatever with the reknown or skilled experts with whom you tested or exposed. And by knowing the strengths of the people you fought and hearing how you won over them your new whatever could be understood. They might not get all your training but they would start to know how you fight. And why train people to teach it?

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

JasBourne
11-04-2001, 05:05 PM
Rats. Because I WOULD trademark it, package it and market the holy beejeezus out of it before word got out.

No_know touches on a very good point - in order to confirm that this techinique is the slickest thing since goose grease, you would have to actually kick some boo-tay using it. And people would notice all this, and note at least some of the technique. You would not be able to keep the technique secret, folks would suss it out on their own. If one human can figure a thing out, then other humans can figure out the same thing given time.

I'm currently working on the finer aspects of Jas Kune Do, and its cardio application, JasBo. It is a scientific application of the most deadly elements of Samurai Kungfu Jui-Jabba Rama Lama Dingdong. It also has uber-cool uniforms and belts, and JasBo will feature signature JasBo equipment such as gloves, shoes, shorts, punching bags, and lots and lots and lots of overpriced videos. I do all this because of my deep respect for the principles of martial arts.

:D

DrunkenMonkey
11-04-2001, 05:11 PM
hell no, I'd keep it to myself. No *******s deserve this technique (if there ever was one like it)

"If I knew then what I know now, I would have killed him."

Crimson Phoenix
11-04-2001, 05:39 PM
Well, not necessarily...seeing the flowers doesn't mean you can see the roots...he said a method, it is not necessarily some particular techniques but rather a way to get to technical or combat excellence 10x faster...so maybe the guys can get to know how you fight, but that doesn't mean they'll deduct how you got to this point...
And in the event of my post, I woudln't test this stuff with anyone, but select person that I know I can trust or that can give me relevant feedback.
Why teach it at all?? Why not? Why let another secret get burried with its holder? If you teach the right people in the right way, they will also teach the right people in the right way after you are dead or retired...of course, there is always the probability that the method could end up in the wrong hands, but if you think like this you'll never get anything done in your life and could miss great things...
Just my opinion...

shaolinboxer
11-04-2001, 05:41 PM
Ofcourse, I would share it to those I thought would share it.

Wongsifu
11-04-2001, 06:05 PM
if the technique or training method is great i only tell people who respect me and would never be like hey **** you even though you taught me everything i know , i think im better than oyu now.
But even then i always keep a little to myself

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Johnny Hot Shot
11-04-2001, 06:33 PM
I would first prove my training to be superior in tournaments, UFC, whatever. Then I would charge Big $$$ for people to learn my training trechnique. That's the American way is'nt it?

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

honorisc
11-04-2001, 06:57 PM
"If you teach the right people in the right way, they will also teach the right people in the right way after you are dead or retired...of course, there is always the probability that the method could end up in the wrong hands, but if you think like this you'll never get anything done in your life and could miss great things..."

You asked why not. Now answer Why?

"And in the event of my post, I woudln't test this stuff with anyone, but select person that I know I can trust or that can give me relevant feedback."

Trust? in what way, what's there to trust? trust them to What?

And you are right. A method. But they would not see techniques (there's only so many ways to punch), but from how a person was over come who was skilled in specific ways, it could be realized the Method that was likely or had to be. No, not everyone could at their present stages of development, but it can be done.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

IronFist
11-04-2001, 10:08 PM
CrimsonPhoenix said:

he said a method, it is not necessarily some particular techniques but rather a way to get to technical or combat excellence 10x faster...so maybe the guys can get to know how you fight, but that doesn't mean they'll deduct how you got to this point...

That's right. I was talking more of a training method than can be done behind closed doors, not a specific fighting application.

I guess you guys answered the same as I would, I was just curious if I was the only one who felt that way or if it was being "selfish."

But obviously, if I found something awesome I'd share it with all you guys :)

Iron

anerlich
11-04-2001, 11:50 PM
In these times where there is no defense against random nutters with lethal weapons like Tim McVey, there are practically no circumstances where the concealment of Kung-fu training methods means life or death.

To get as good as you possibly can, you need the best possible training partners. Concealing anything new you might stumble across from them reduces their potential and therefore your own. As Aussie BJJ Black Belt John Will said, "better to be the worst person on the best mat than the best person on the worst mat."

Next to my family, the people I train with are amongst my best friends. We help and challenge each other and don't let each other or ourselves get away with second best.

I'm glad I don't have the attitude that I need to conceal things from people I train with because I need to have an edge over them because of a lack of trust. If your MA is about being better than everyone else, rather than raising everyone's level including your own to the best it can possibly be, then I'm glad I don't train with you.

soy
11-05-2001, 12:02 AM
Share it with people, and you have a chance of improving it further.

joedoe
11-05-2001, 01:19 AM
Share it with a small group of people you can trust.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

HuangKaiVun
11-05-2001, 01:40 AM
A method that is 10x effective usually needs 1000x dedication, intelligence, physical ability, etc . . . .

This is why the traditional style masters test their students repeatedly before, during, and after training.

Wongsifu
11-05-2001, 02:11 AM
huang kai vin that is soo very true

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo