PDA

View Full Version : Discussion of Wing Chun Chain Punching

stonecrusher69
09-04-2016, 07:23 PM
My insights or approach to the Wong Chun Chain punch..
https://youtu.be/gbPuOgGyLZM

boxerbilly
09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
I was hoping WC people would jump on this thread.

Perhaps that part of WC is or has been over hyped ?

I have used the blast but not like you guys. More boxing style coming in with nothing but straights but with shoulder and waist rotation. Couple of years back I glanced in a book by Tim Tackett. More recent book on JKD. He mentioned 3 or 4 methods of chain punching. One was how I did it. He emphasized the range which each is most appropriate. Which was most powerful, etc. The way I did it I was continually switching leads so each punch became essentially a rear hand straight/cross depending on ones terminology.

Worked for me. A lot ! In and out of the ring. Funny thing was I never knew about WC chain punching or straight blasting terminology. But I was utilizing the concept. In a way I also used it with hooks. In another thread there was talk about overwhelming boxing. I forget the Chinese name. But again, I utilized that concept. Some may call it berserker. But I was always in control. I was not wilding flailing away while rushing in.

Perhaps a main reason I gravitated to this was I wear glasses and not while sparring/fighting so, I needed to be in close and ideal in contact to make up for depth perception lose. Playing around with glasses on I often stayed outside but not with glasses off or using punching primarily.

Has anyone else had success with that concept in use ? Perhaps most specifically the WC way ? If your line of WC does it different please explain.

stonecrusher69
09-06-2016, 11:29 AM
In Wing Chun the power does not come from the shoulder cuz of the short distance we are striking from..elbow has to be down