PDA

View Full Version : How much has Boxing(American) changed in the last 150 years, how much has it changed that it is not

JNA
11-27-2001, 09:54 AM
Can you give examples of how it was modified and also of how it faired against other martial arts from all over the world. Did they really do that badly in fights.

"The Self Defense mentality" is one of escaping from a violent encounter unharmed. "The Warriors mentality" is one of taking out the enemy as quickly and efficient as possible- Ji Ji Ke (Ji Long feng). Which one do you have?

Cyborg
12-05-2001, 05:43 PM
I have never heard of how it fared against other arts.

I do know that they used to use a vertical fist and put their strong side forward neither of which they do now.

Does anyone know where I could find any of the old style boxing books? Don't want a history, I really want a "how-to" book. Thanks in advance.

Cyborg
12-26-2001, 07:57 PM
I got given two boxing books for my birthday and learned that rounds weren't timed, they went 'til one fighter went to a knee or all the way down. 30 seconds later the next round started. And some wrestling holds/throws were allowed.

Joe Goss fought 120 rnds. in 3 hrs. 20 min. and won because the other guy kneed him in the head after knocking him down! Ouch!

Leonidas
12-27-2001, 06:56 PM
Yea i heard that matches could go 90+ rounds, non stop. Now not many boxers today would last that long. Back then it was assured that you could use your skill in a fight. For boxing these days you have to modify your training a bit, but i'm convinced it still could work.

Asia
12-27-2001, 11:23 PM
Boxing actually started as a art in gladiator fights. At first just leather wraps were used. Then it evolved to more dangerous things.

Fast forward to England. Boxing, the gentlemans art, was wildly popular. No gloves just bareknuckle. Gloves eventually came. Ever wondered why Savate has boxing handwork? Cut and dry story: Frensh chauson man goes to england to fight a boxer. Gets his arse kicked learns boxing combines it with chauson.

There were many matches in the far east with boxer against local MA men. The boxers usually won, mainly because the MArtist had to adhere to boxing rules. So this is not a good way to judge how it faired against asian MA at the time. In the states there were macthes with boxers against wrestlers. The outcome was up to the person (like I always say "Judge the person not the art.)

Leonidas
12-28-2001, 04:10 PM
I actually have a book about the history of Roman Gladiators. Didn't get far in it but i thought all the matches had weapons use. I thought the Greeks used boxing in the Olympics. The Legend about Kung Fu masters usually have them all beating Boxers and foreigners in general with no difficulty. I guess if boxing was a Kung fu style it would most closely resemble Zi Ran Men but unfortunately without the Qigong and Qinggong.

Asia
12-29-2001, 12:41 AM
L,

Boxing did come into the Greek olympics. But the gladiator boxing matches preceeded that. They started with just leather straps then they evolved into studded metal glove and a cestus (?)

Cyborg
12-29-2001, 07:57 PM
Asia is right about the Olympics. And yes they did have unarmed bouts. But boxing as an art was pretty much lost before it became so popular in England and had to be relearned. Sullivan was pretty much a wild slugger in the beginning (haven't finished the book!) and got his "world title" by fighting a guy who hadn't fought in some years.