PDA

View Full Version : Air Fryer

boxerbilly
11-03-2016, 02:24 PM
http://www.qvc.com/Cooks-Essentials-3-qt-1400-Watt-Air-Fryer-with-Recipe-Book.product.K43144.html

Bought this at above link. Got it about a week or so ago. Finally unpacked it today. And made FRIES.

You know what ? They came out pretty freaking good too. Total time no preheating at all was 14 minutes. 370 degrees instead of 450 in the oven. I just hit the preset button. Pulled the basket at 7min and shook and took a fork to the fries to move around. Okay Im impressed there. Probably not as good as deep frying but it beats the crap out of using an over and since I have no intention of making homemade fries this thing worked really good. It made more than enough for 2 people.

I might try making homemade firied chicken in it. Someone made a video doing just that and he said it tastes like fried baked chicken whatever that means but he said it was good.

For 100 bucks this thing may be real nice for a single guy. Not sure if it beats a toaster oven which ive never owned .

If anyone else has one and uses it please write up what you think and what you've made in it and compare it to reg over,microwave, whatever please.

Thanks.

boxerbilly
11-03-2016, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDgMxcLQnKQ

This guys vid. I don't care about the healthy part. I don't worry about fat intake. FLAVOR !

I love drumsticks.

mickey
11-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Greetings Billy,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I remember seeing Gordon Ramsey promoting a model like this on U tube a few months ago. It did look interesting. Did you use fresh cut potatoes or frozen fries?

mickey

boxerbilly
11-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Hi Mickey,

I used frozen fries. I was reading around it it appears this thing does exceptionally well with precooked frozen food. So fries , mozzarella sticks, frozen fish, etc.
So time wise frozen fries in the oven are 450 for 20minutes about. Takes like 10-15 to heat up to 450. This thing was drop the fries in the basket hit a button or 2 shake/stir the stuff at 7 and done at 14min. And they came out far better than fries made in the oven. Now, McDonalds fries they are not, lol.

But for a single person drop in say a chicken or fish patty and fries and 15 minutes later. And from what I am reading around far better than a normal oven for lots of things.

Downside is it does not look family friendly. Maybe cook a entire meal for one in it. Would be pushing it for 2 people. But it could cook something and one could use other appliances for other things. Then again many families don't eat together anyways so........might not matter.

I normally bake chicken drumsticks when I make them so Im going to try them in this soon and see how it turns out.

Its not the end all be all but I was thinking this thing will likely suck out and Ill be sending it back . Nope, Going to keep it ! Even if all I ever use it for is fries. Its beats the heck out of an oven for them.

mickey
11-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Thank you, Billy,

That was a real good review.

mickey

boxerbilly
11-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Now with a lot of homemade stuff. Other appliances may in fact be better. And with homemade stuff preheat does not mean much because it can be done while prepping the food. If one is looking to save on electricity then this thing likely wins again but be a bit before you recover the costs and who knows how long the unit lasts yet ?

Im sure the guys fried chicken great. Im going to try it myself and likely will love it but no way it beats deep fried ! Poppyes does not have to worry about losing me. But I don't like home deep frying unit. In fact I hate them.

Edit- We have an electric over. 220v. I think most of America uses gas now. I've had that too. Gas has some advantages over electrical. But in the end, I have always preferred electric ovens myself.

Also, if one has a microwave and today who does not ? Almost nobody. Well EasyFries come out pretty good for about a buck a box. Now I know many people are on a mad everything natural kick. hey if it tastes better serve me the grown in my backyard apple pie. If it does not, Ill have the Mrs. Smiths DutchApple please. And those pies be going on sale soon so stock up fellows with a extra freezer in the basement or garage. LOL.

mickey
11-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Hi Billy,

I am one of those few who do not have a microwave. I have used them. I think they are okay for warming up things. I have tried the electric oven before. I think it is okay but, for some reason, it can be a bit drying for chicken. I guess I need to baste more.

I did watch the guy cook his chicken. The air cooked ones looked a bit undone. And I was not carried away with the deep fried ones either. Both sets of legs looked they ran into Elmer Fudd and said, "Chicken Season!". If I saw chicken looking like that, I would leave them in the fast food joint. And I have never seen drumsticks look that thick and meaty. Was that really chicken? Halloween is past and those things scared me.

mickey

boxerbilly
11-03-2016, 08:37 PM
LOL.

Air fryer may not be right for you Mickey.

Electric vs Gas ? I think it comes down to how you cook and maybe even more important. What you grew up with. I was raised on electric stoves. When I lived in California and the city. I used gas. It was fine but I always missed the electric. The only thing I personally felt it was better at was instant heat drop with the burners. Other than that I felt electric was just a superior at evenly heating. Nut someone that grew up on gas wont have any real issues cooking with gas. You may have a bit of a learning curve with an electric burner.

YEP. I buy the steroid feed chickens here too. Actually I used to bang this peurto rican chick and she once made me some chicken and rice meal and used drumsticks and I was like did they kill these chicken young ? Because they were the smallest drum sticks I ever saw, LOL . I thought it was a fluke but she said she always buys that size. I did not know there were sizes, LOL. Buffalo wing sized, DUH !!!! Im quick at times.

But yes, the drumsticks here have some meat on them.

Jimbo
11-04-2016, 12:24 PM
I've always had a gas oven. Except for an old toaster oven I haven't used in years. For the last 5.5 years, I've had to go gluten-free due to a self-discovered gluten sensitivity. Never had it before but have it now. So I cook almost everything I eat now. Though I'm not a total health food nut like a lot of people are, I don't eat fatty stuff. When you have to go gluten-free (GF), it eliminates a lot of junk, like fast food. But it's a hassle, because gluten is in almost everything, and GF products are more expensive and harder to find (but are becoming more and more common).

I tend to cook enough at dinner to have leftovers for about 3 days, so I'm cooking about twice a week.

The lousiest chicken I ever had was at a KFC in Hong Kong back in the late '80s. The pieces were downright scrawny and tiny, with hardly any meat at all. I thought, 'Are Hong Kong chickens all starved like this?" I never ate at a KFC overseas again.

Sorry for going OT.

GeneChing
11-04-2016, 12:43 PM
So how does that air fryer work on fish?

I am one of those few who do not have a microwave. Me too. I cook with gas. :cool:

The lousiest chicken I ever had was at a KFC in Hong Kong back in the late '80s. The pieces were downright scrawny and tiny, with hardly any meat at all. I thought, 'Are Hong Kong chickens all starved like this?" I never ate at a KFC overseas again.
That's interesting. I found the KFC (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?22096-the-Kentucky-Fried-Thread) in Beijing to be more flavorful. The chicken was scrawnier for sure, but it didn't taste flat like a lot of factory farmed chicken to me. But that must have been the early/mid 90s. And I'm veg now (trying to honor those Buddhist vows of mine...;) ) so what do I know anymore?

boxerbilly
11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
We could keep each other from falling over.