PDA

View Full Version : Few Endurance Questions

Apprentice
11-15-2001, 01:52 AM
Even if you dont know ALL of the answers, if you know the answer to even just ONE question, it'd be appretiated, plz read em, theres only 5

1) I heard running is the only way to gain "Wind", or the most effective, Thoughts?

2) What is "Too Much" running? Is there a limit to how much you should run, like, can you overtrain with running? Whats the most u should do in a givin week? (Hours, days, detail plz)

3) Is there different "Benefits" from sprint running, as oppose to medium speed, or long jogging?

4) I know of atheletes that train 6 days a week, running and doing pushups constantly (mainly wrestlers), isn't that overtraining? Or is it okay to do it with stuff such as running and pushups?

5) What is the most pushups you should do in a given day? Would be okay to do as much as you can, throughout the entire day (with proper form and breaks) and run alot throughout the day, or can u still hurt your muscles like that?

Shaolin36
11-15-2001, 02:11 AM
Apprentice,
Here are some fragments on what I know about running/sprinting.

When you run, your feet move real fast-LOL

Building wind should be trained inside of your target heart rate, this is for endurance. This will also help you burn fat over muscle. There is a formula for attaining your target heart rate, unfortuanately I dont know it. If you belong to a gym, the trainers there can tell you. Also, sprinting is good for explosive power. When I run I will run inside of my target heart rate and every 1/4 mile I will go into a full blown sprint for about 25yards, then let my heart rate go back to normal and then repeat every 1/4 mile. I will usually run 2-3 miles at a time and get 4-6 good wind sprints in.

As far as how long to run, I usually listen to my body. When I start to get sloppy with my run I will go one more lap. When I fisrt started compared to now- I am able to run longer with out getting sloppy so I guess its working. It also increased my timing from 0-60MPH, if you know what I mean.

There is a science out there for it though, You might want to summon Ironfist or sevenstar.

Peace,

Shaolin36

Kung Lek
11-15-2001, 03:33 AM
do north shaolin Kung Fu.

Do all the sets you have learned in row at the proper speed as fluidly as possible.

If that doesn't increase your "wind" I don't know what will!

running is hard on the knees and joints(unless you have a pair of shoes that you need to mortgage your house for). Walking briskly is better, bicycle riding is even better still because there is no shock and you can focus strictly on cardio if that's what you want.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

SevenStar
11-15-2001, 04:21 AM
Running isn't the only thing that builds wind, but it's probably the most popular by far. unfortunately, it can also be rough on your joints. Practicing your forms at a rapid pace can increase your wind, as can shadowboxing and swimming. the number of activities is endless (Well, not really endless, but far too many for my lazy a§§ to type:) )

I can't tell you what too much running for you is, as I am not you. there are people that run 50 miles a week. lazy people like me run about 10-15. What I can tell you is that if you are just beginning a running program, don't try to do too much at once. When I first started, I would run for a few minutes, then walk for a minute or two. I tried to cut the rest times down to none over a period of time, and once that was done, I tried to run for longer time periods (I don't really concern myself with distance to much)

Sprinting will burn more calories in a shorter amount of time than running will - if sustained. Instead of strictly sprinting (if that was a thought of yours) combine it with your running. distance running a few days a week, sprinting a few days a week.

A decrease in performance may be one of the first signs of overtraining.

some symptoms of severe overtraining:
diarrhea, persistent weight loss, swollen lymph glands, increased susceptibility to infection, nability to concentrate and loss of libido, persistent muscle soreness and loss of interest in training.

With pushups, running and training in general, I really can't tell you what over training is for you. You have to play that by ear.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

SevenStar
11-15-2001, 04:24 AM
almost forgot...

To find your target heart rate, determine your maximum heart rate, which is 220 minus your age. Next, calculate your target heart rate zone. This is generally 50% to 75% of the maximum heart rate.

" - nightair

Mr. Nemo
11-15-2001, 06:40 AM
About running and joints: Running on concrete has the potential to be hard on your joints, but running on dirt, grass, or a "track" surface (that spongy stuff) decreases the odds of joint damage.

Endurance is also task-specific (to a degree). If you want to improve your endurance for martial arts, it's a good idea to train the specific moves that make you winded.

SevenStar
11-15-2001, 07:51 AM
no doubt. I've noticed that my running does very little for my endurance when it comes to forms. It has done wonders for my sparring though.

" - nightair

Robinf
11-15-2001, 04:29 PM
JUMPROPE--builds up your wind and helps with other things, like building up strength in the ankles and legs.

Running is ok. I prefer to run for 5 minutes and go to increase your distance and speed within that 5 minutes (this is the Marines' way).

Swimming is also a good way to get up your wind and work on a rhythm that's good for you.

And, like Kung Lek said, practice you curriculum in a row without stopping. That should do it, too, not to mention getting you better in your curriculum.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Apprentice
11-17-2001, 03:30 AM
very much appretiated, all of the replies... Anybody else know more ways for endurance? Anything is welcome pretty much