PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on supplements?

soy
11-15-2001, 08:46 PM
I recently started taking the following:

Creatine

ZMA

Cytovol

All produced by EAM.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has anything to say about these products? :)

IronFist
11-15-2001, 09:14 PM
Did you open the ZMA yet? If not you should take it back. No one is Zinc or Magnesium or whatever is in it deficient. It's supposed to help you sleep or recover or something better... well, if it works I guess go ahead, but most knowledgable people tend to think it's a waste of money.

Years ago there was hype over Boron supplements, which people also found out was a waste of money.

The only thing you really need is protein. Some people like glutamine, and Creatine maybe if you're looking for mass. Just make sure you drink at least a gallon of water per day if you use creatine. One more thing, don't "load" the creatine. Just start at 5g a day. The "loading" phase was made up by supplement companies to get you to spend more money.

Iron

IronFist
11-15-2001, 09:14 PM
What is cytovol?

Iron

SevenStar
11-16-2001, 01:41 AM
supposedly it will volumize muscle cells. never tried it though.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

soy
11-16-2001, 03:10 AM
Supposedly cytovol improves muscle healing. Sounds worth a try atleast. Thanks for the advice guys.

IronFist
11-16-2001, 07:35 PM
Can you tell us the ingredients in cytozol? J/w

Protein and glutamine help the muscles heal faster, too :)

I've never used large enough doses of glutamine to notice, but a lot of BB's I know say when they use glutamine they are not sore for as long after a workout. 10-15g per day is what they use.

Iron

SevenStar
11-17-2001, 03:32 AM
http://www11.netrition.com/eas_cytovol_page.html

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Sharky
11-18-2001, 05:00 AM
only supplements i take are a-z vitamin tablets :)

are there any bad effects from them? (not trying to hijack thread sorry)

=================================
Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Repulsive Monkey
11-18-2001, 02:23 PM
With a good diet and a good Qi Gong routine none of those supplements you mentioned should be needed at all.

ElPietro
11-18-2001, 06:56 PM
Cytovol from what I remember is just a creatine transport system. Not a bad idea I guess but you can just buy a 2lbs bag of dextrose sugar and mix that in to get pretty much the same effect. Mix dextrose and grape juice with your creatine for a good transport system.

I've taken ZMA before and it did have some impact on my sleep. I rarely dream, or consciously know I have dreamt when I wake up, but with ZMA I had quite vivid dreams which many others have also noted. I believe this is due to the fact that ZMA supposedly induces a greater ROM sleep which whether or not that aids in any way I cannot tell. I still have the bottle but don't really use it much. As with glutamine there are some supps you just can't really tell a significant difference or not. Some will say that they feel like they've recovered quicker but I think it's in the head. I do supplement with glutamine though because scientifically I know it's purpose and how it helps.

Get a good multivitamin and you'll be set. When you work out and perhaps restrict your diet you are taking in less and requiring more.

Daedalus
11-19-2001, 08:12 PM
The improved transport effect in muscle tissue is caused by an insulin response.

One effect of higher than normal insulin levels in your body is that it makes your muscle tissue "open wide" so to speak. That's why it is a recommended practice for bodybuilders to consume some simple carbs (sugar) immediately after they lift. And then chase that with protein, creatine, aminos, etc for building mass.

The high sugar levels trigger an insulin response which opens the gateways into the muscle tissue.

The insulin response remains in effect for about 30-40 minutes following a workout. Take advantage of it. It really works. Timing is everything.

Warning: Don't consume large amounts of sugar following your workouts. 20 to 25 grams are plenty. Also, don't get the idea to start main lining insulin like diabetics do. This can lead to serious health problems. Besides the insulin response only has this effect on muscle tissue after a strenuous workout.

I use Phosphagen HP. It works good post workout.
Never heard of cytovol, but the idea of downing a ZIMA after a workout sounds good.

:)

rubthebuddha
11-20-2001, 09:40 PM
i've read several studies that showed the body is more able to absorb nutrients and other goodness at a much higher level immediately following a hard workout. typically, the average person can absorb roughly 30 grams of protein in a single sitting. however, after a workout, this can go up as high as 50 or 60 grams of absorbtion ability.

the same goes for your nutrients. your body needs them most after you've killed yourself on the practice floor or gym, so take advantage of this.

as far as creatine, it's also very effective as a lactic acid inhibitor (the nasty burn you feel in your muscles is lactic acid buildup). i noticed that, about a week after i began taking creatine, that i could usually do a few more reps in each set. so if i normally did 15 bicep curls, that number went up to 17 or 18 before my bicep decided enough was enough. that extra few reps put the muscle under stress for a longer period of time, thus encouraging growth.

-rtb