PDA

View Full Version : 9 Questions about Lien Bu Ch'uan and Longfist

Stranger
10-03-2001, 03:16 AM
1) As I understand it:

2) Is LBC a form in Longfist?

3) Is it the first form?

4) Why was this one form determined to have great potential as a modern combative method for soldiers?

5) Is this a new form?

6) Why does it apparently vary so much from instructor to instructor if it is "new"?

7) Are the other forms in Longfist "new"?

8) Is Longfist the same thing as Changchuan?

9) What styles contributed to the creation of Longfist?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

SevenStar
10-03-2001, 03:41 AM
what you are looking for is the lien bu chuan STYLE, not the form. There is a lien bu chuan form taught in longfist styles, just as there are plum flower forms taught, but there is also a plum flower style. I'll try to find some info in the style.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

SevenStar
10-03-2001, 03:42 AM
http://www.rovere.com/lbc.html

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Kung Lek
10-03-2001, 03:54 AM
Lien Bo Chuan or "Linked Stepping Fist" is a preliminary form in the style of Bak Sil Lum (North Shaolin).

The form is a remnant of Shaolin Kung Fu and Kyu Yu Cheong used it as an introductory form to the style he founded, Bak Sil Lum or North Shaolin.

In 1935, Kyu Yu Cheong was the instructor of Wu Shu for the Military of China.

In most Bak Sil Lum schools, the form doesn't vary much in essence, but may vary in the performer.

The Lien Bo Chuan presented in the publication by Dr Yang Jwing Ming is not the same form except for the name as that which is taught in Bak Sil Lum.

peace

Kung Lek

MonkeySlap Too
10-03-2001, 04:39 AM
The Lien Bu Chuan form in Long Fist was developed at the Nanking Central Guoshu institute. Modern Long Fist was developed as the introductory course that a student passed before training a specific specialty.

The details of it's origin - well I know this, but I'm still at work and my eyeballs are bleeding I'm so tired. I'll have to get back to you when my memory is online.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Stranger
10-03-2001, 05:27 AM
Whoops, in the opening post I deleted one of my questions and forgot to edit the title of the thread. :o

So there is a form and a style by the name of Lien Bu Ch'uan? :confused:

Dennis Rovere is teaching one form by that name, not a series of forms.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Longquan
10-03-2001, 05:34 AM
The form was developed at the Nanking Central Kuoshu Institute.

Dr. Yang's form is descended from the original but modified.

Do a search for "longquan" in the search engine. There was a lot of detailed responses to a thread posted by Heming.

But as far as I know, there is not a distinctly separate traditional style based solely on lienbuquan. Because it was developed and taught at the central academy, it was disseminated throughout China. There are many variants.

Stranger
10-03-2001, 07:59 PM
I'm not finding that thread. :confused:

Somebody else care to contribute? :)

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Stranger
10-04-2001, 03:43 AM
Bueller?.......Bueller?........Bueller? :confused:

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Royal Dragon
10-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Bump......

shuaichiao
10-07-2006, 10:26 AM
1) As I understand it:

:confused:

2) Is LBC a form in Longfist?

Yes

3) Is it the first form?

Depends on weather you consider tan tui forms or exercises. It's the first long form.

4) Why was this one form determined to have great potential as a modern combative method for soldiers?

This is a hybrid form that contains knowledge from many of the styles that contributed to the nanking central kou shu institutes long fist style. It's said to be a hundred year old form with a thousand years of knowledge in it.

5) Is this a new form?

See above

6) Why does it apparently vary so much from instructor to instructor if it is "new"?

many styles adopted this form but adapted cetain stances or techniques so it would be a better foundation form for the style they were bringing it in to.

7) Are the other forms in Longfist "new"?

Depends on which style of long fist you're asking about. The nanking Central Koushu stuff has some pure long fist and some hybrid stuff in it.

8) Is Longfist the same thing as Changchuan?

Yes, it's the English translation of changchuan

9) What styles contributed to the creation of Longfist?

Again it depends on what chang chuan you're asking about. Sung Tai Tzu was said to have traveled northern China seeking knowledge from the best martial artist he could find. He created Tai Tzu Chuan , the first large kung fu system, from that knowledge. Before that most kung fu styles were small systems with a hand full of techniques focused in one area. Most of those styles are now gone and were never famous. Somebody else may know the name of a few but I don't. There were other traditional long fist systems aswell such as cha chuan but I can't name them all or dtail their history. The Nanking program contains some tai tzu, bei shaolin, shaolin nature division, cha chuan, eagle claw, tan tui, tang lang and even contains some internal elements from tai chi, hsing yi and bagua.

NiHui
10-07-2006, 10:49 AM
LBC has elements of differents styles,rudimentary chin na techniques,
and steps designed purely to strength the legs.It was so designed to offer
in a single form various aspects of training.Developed by the military academy,it was not intended to be of a particular style,but as an overview which could
rapidly become the foundation of more rigourous training.Also,if well learned
it can be used at an elementary level.
Due to the difficulty of translation,or trying to oversimplify the translation;
some books use "Long Fist" because most of its movements and techniques
resemble long fist techniques,but certainly not all.
It was not designed for having any great potential in combative situations
in the field.It was the first step in learning for novices.
As in all arts,every teacher adds or discards.Some changes are expected
because nothing stays forever.
Long Fist is the literal translation of ChangQuan.
LBC has some stances common to Seven Star Praying Mantis,a couple of movements straight out of TongBei,one from XiaoHong and another from DaHong.
Actually the teachers and instructors didn't leave detailed notes of what they
took from where.In general LBC is a compendium of various styles,combined
to offer an eagle view of the panorama of martial arts.