PDA

View Full Version : Mental gymnastics increase bicep strength

David
11-21-2001, 06:11 PM
(From New Scientist Mag)

19:00 21 November 01
Philip Cohen

It is a couch potato's dream - just imagining yourself exercising can increase the strength of even your large muscles. The discovery could help patients too weak to exercise to start recuperating from stroke or other injury. And if the technique works in older people, they might use it to help maintain their strength.

Muscles move in response to impulses from nearby motor neurons. The firing of those neurons in turn depends on the strength of electrical impulses sent by the brain.

"That suggests you can increase muscle strength solely by sending a larger signal to motor neurons from the brain," says Guang Yue, an exercise physiologist at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio.

Yue and his colleagues have already found that mentally visualising exercise was enough to increase strength in a muscle in the little finger, which it uses to move sideways. Now his team has turned its attention to a larger, more frequently used muscle, the bicep.

Thought experiment

They asked 10 volunteers aged 20 to 35 to imagine flexing one of their biceps as hard as possible in training sessions five times a week. The researchers recorded the electrical brain activity during the sessions. To ensure the volunteers were not unintentionally tensing, they also monitored electrical impulses at the motor neurons of their arm muscles.

Every two weeks, they measured the strength of the volunteers' muscles. The volunteers who thought about exercise showed a 13.5 per cent increase in strength after a few weeks, and maintained that gain for three months after the training stopped. Controls who missed out on the mental workout showed no improvement in strength.

The researchers are now repeating the experiment with people aged 65 to 80 to see if mental gymnastics also works for them.

The research was presented at the Society for Neuroscience conference in San Diego.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

SevenStar
11-21-2001, 08:36 PM
I read that article last week, coincidentally, which made me search for others. I believe it can help to an extent WHILE training, as in visualizing the muscles getting stronger while you are training, but I'm skeptical as to how much effect it can have by just sitting around thinking about it. Also, this probably applied to extremely unactive people, who could get some type of result from almost any stimulus and not to active people.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

ElPietro
11-21-2001, 08:37 PM
I don't know...10 volunteers isn't a very high number to make this kind of assumption with. I am a believer that in visualizing specific movements you can become adept a bit quicker than just physically performing the movement.

13.5% is too high a difference for me to believe thinking about it has caused this. If the muscles aren't tensing then how are they being stressed? If the electrical impulse in the brain is hitting the nervous system which affects the biceps contraction then it should flex...which is normally how your body would do things normally. With 10 people it's easy to make numbers look however you want to so those are just my thoughts as I can't seem to think of any way electrical impulses can increase muscle strength without actually causing flexion.

David
11-22-2001, 01:07 PM
Well, it's all about intent. Intent is one of those "secrets" of training for max results.

The study quoted above is a follow-up of a much larger study on people's little fingers ie a muscle that does bugger-all in most people's lives. That study showed the potential. This one achieves that potential albeit with a small number of subjects. At least it had a control group.

I kinda like these ideas to support the principle of intent rather than as a replacement for training. After reading threads on how we only use 30% of our strength, I've been thinking a lot. That 30% strength thing is related to ging, I'm certain. A process of disinhibition and increasing consciousness of one's actions.

-- Hong Kong Phooey

IronFist
11-22-2001, 09:21 PM
I heard pullups increase biceps strength, too.

Iron

"Now why the **** would you censor "d.ork?"

Ironman PostLog: 1100 - 11/20/01

reemul
11-23-2001, 05:18 AM
This was conducted at a University and was geared toward overall performance. It was done with basketball free throws. The study concluded that thinking about doing an activity improved performance. I have had a tendency to do this cuz I have ADHD and it's kind of hard to shut down my brain. Now that kungfu is such an importance in my life I focus on it. I havn't conducted any personal studies however I noticed that if I go without practicing formwork my performance doesn't degrade as much as my classmates. They noticed too. To all my fellow ADHD sufferers don't look at it as a disorder think of it as an evolution. Although I still have a problem studying subjects I have not interrest in.

sniper
11-25-2001, 11:40 AM
The power of the mind is truely incredible. I met a guy once who loved to play golf. He joined the service and became a POW for three years. To keep himself sane, he visualized golfing every chance he got. After his eventual rescue and return home, he went golfing, and, after three years of being locked in a box, didn't lose a stroke. Maybe that's not excactly the same thing as with the bicep study, but I thought it was a cool story.

-sniper

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

hkphooey
11-27-2001, 06:45 PM
psycho-cybernetics (visualization, etc) have been studied for quite a while now. almost all of the research has demonstrated its effectiveness. most studies, however, will have four different groups: one group just does the physical task, one group does the physical task plus visualization, one group does just visualization, one group doesn't do squat.

in all cases, the group that did both physical training and visualization performed the best (no duh). what's surprising is who came in second: it seemed to vary between the "just visualizing" group and the "just physical training group". it depends on which study you're looking at. as ironfist pointed out, my guess is there would be a tendency to have the physical training people finish second in matters of pure strength. however, the visualization people usually finished close behind, especially in cases where the task was something more technical, like freethrows.

so there's something to be said for doing mental training even if you can't train physically. besides, it helps your powers of concentration immensely.

David
11-28-2001, 12:57 PM
Good for sick-bed and broken-bone training.

-- Hong Kong Phooey

Kumkuat
11-28-2001, 04:20 PM
sniper, just about anyone can do that. I forgot the exact term in psycology, but motor skills like those are very hard to forget. Of course, it would take a few tries to get the rust off but that's usually quick. Hmm, maybe I should pick up my violin again and see if I can play it.

rubthebuddha
11-29-2001, 12:16 AM
i can see the serve right now. oh wait! forehand volley! and now the overhead.

-rtb