PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Master Li Qiyu of Qingdao

B.Tunks
03-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Greetings.

Here is the latest in my series of interviews of Mantis Boxing masters from around the world. Former professional athlete and coach Li Qiyu has been one of my teachers since 1998. His diverse background affords him a unique perspective on the status of CMA:

www.mantisboxing.com/li-qiyu.html

For those that may be interested (or perhaps need some assistance slipping into a coma ;)) Will Wain-Williams of www.monkeystealspeach.com was kind enough to interview me on the subject of Tanglang recently as well:

https://monkeystealspeach.com/interviews-of-masters/415-2/

All of the weapons mentioned in these interviews are of course available from https://www.tigerclaw.com (apart from the spade/shovel used by the security guard)...

Cheers,

BT

Tainan Mantis
05-28-2017, 02:18 AM
Nice read. Thanks.
I have a question. In the article you said,

"but it doesn’t seem likely that modern wushu will be around too much longer so that part of the problem will be solved."

What is happening to modern wushu that will cause it to disappear?

B.Tunks
05-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Nice read. Thanks.
I have a question. In the article you said,

"but it doesn’t seem likely that modern wushu will be around too much longer so that part of the problem will be solved."

What is happening to modern wushu that will cause it to disappear?

Thanks Tainan.

Its popularity has dwindled in China and less money is being channelled to its development. It has been significantly affected by its repeated failures to become an Olympic sport and its virtually guaranteed that it will never become one. There has been a widespread resurgence of traditional wushu in China. There’s far less regulation and much more money to be made. Traditional wushu is also far more accessible (i.e. does not have the same athletic requirements or training regimen) and is also very attractive to foreigner$. In reality, who can say how long modern wushu will be around though. Its limped along for quite some time and survived rough times. At the moment it’s all about kickboxing (K1 equivalent Kunlun Fight) and Muay Thai, as far as popularity/public interest in China.

BT