PDA

View Full Version : hey why the hell is my chi cold!

SanHeChuan
11-14-2001, 05:22 AM
Ok here is the deal ever since I start to focus my chi oh so many years ago I’ve felt a "cool" sensation instead of the warm sensation most people describe. (I also get a sensation very similar to trying to push to weak magnets together)
And I remember Robert smith say that some tai chi master had a different kind of chi (I cant find the article right now)

So what to you think? Have you ever hear of different kinds of chi?

i posted on the main forum but no body answered :mad:

===============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

Hou fa xian zhi
-start later, but reach first.

Nexus
11-14-2001, 05:25 AM
People feel different sensations, thats just it. Some people get a cold feeling, some a tingle, some a warm feeling, and many different descriptions. An example of this would be, when I do qi gong healing on people, I tend to get comments like they felt a warm feeling, but when my teacher does healing on me, I get a cool, relaxating sensation.

- Nexus

SanHeChuan
11-14-2001, 05:44 AM
ok cool thanks :D

Hou fa xian zhi

EARTH DRAGON
11-14-2001, 07:20 AM
I have posted this on another thread and got great feedback from it.
My qigong teacher can see and feel others chi, she said it matches our personality just like that of aurra. The shed diffrernt colors as well as different characteristics. For instance, my chi is blue and electric, my techers is white and angleic, so you see every one is specified to the type of energy you emitt. So what one may feel can change between each individual.
The magnetic feeling is normal due to the opposite polars of POS & NEG within the body.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

IronFist
11-14-2001, 08:27 AM
Mine is very warm :) (I think)

Iron

Fish of Fury
11-14-2001, 12:01 PM
i also get the "like poles of 2 magnets pushed together" feeling

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

boy_analog
11-15-2001, 06:38 AM
I think I sent out a query about this to another mailing list several months ago. The exercises that we do seem to develop a predominantly cold chi. My teacher frequently wears a couple of layers of clothing when most people are in their short sleeves.

Perhaps this relates to positive and negative chi, I don't know.

friday
11-15-2001, 06:57 AM
Mine is warm and heats up i can also get the magnet feeling

friday
11-15-2001, 06:59 AM
lol i think i should have described that better

i can get the magnetic feeling from my hands, i can feel energy being sucked in through my palm. my chi feels warm or hot not cold.

Repulsive Monkey
11-15-2001, 02:01 PM
There is only one type of Qi yet it has variety by its function and application. Yuan Qi the origianl Qi changes only really as a means of functionality throughout the body due to its purpose and application. So Qi takes on different qualities due to intent, means, and capability too. There is only really one Qi.

Fish of Fury
11-15-2001, 02:32 PM
keep it down repulsive monkey.
you'll inspire them to make another highlander movie with all this "there can be only one Qi" talk...and those movies just keep sucking more and more.

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

IronFist
11-15-2001, 09:52 PM
The exercises that we do seem to develop a predominantly cold chi. My teacher frequently wears a couple of layers of clothing when most people are in their short sleeves.

I need to learn some of those!! I wear short sleeve shirts in the winter because I'm so hot. But my heat is caused by a fast metabolism and eating a lot, not from chi :)

Iron

grounded
11-16-2001, 11:59 PM
From my limited understanding of TCM warmth is symptom of good chi, coldness with bad. When I saw my first accupuncturists years ago they commented on coldness being shallow chi, and related to sickness or taking in toxic substances. I have never experienced strong qi that was anything but warm and thick, but then again, we could all be wrong!

SanHeChuan
11-17-2001, 06:09 AM
Great thanks guys

So if cold chi is bad chi, what could be done about it?

If its just shallow chi that would make sense to me because I’ve never done any "traditional?" chi practice, and I don't think that I’ve been sick or in poor health for the last fifteen or so years. It feels strong to me, but I don’t know how much is strong.

Hou fa xian zhi

boy_analog
11-17-2001, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't get too paranoid about the "temperature" of your chi. If it feels comfortable then it is very probably good. Draughts, for instance, bring with them a cold, uncomfortable feeling. I assume that this is a very different feeling from the one you get from your chi.

Like the other respondents here, I don't claim to having any expertise in TCM. I can however tell you that my health has improved markedly since I commmenced with my present school. And my teacher's chi is anything but shallow, if his power and spontaneity of response are any guide.

Perhaps it would be better to term your perceptions as "cool" chi. Not because it is fashionable, but because it is comfortable.

I don't want to get into some kind of "my chi is better than yours" contest with the other people here. But my teacher is of the view that excess heat is associated with bodily impurities and/or emotional agitation. Within our school, greater coolness is taken as a sign of progress. But different schools have different methods, so I would hesitate to assert that your cool chi ought to be interpreted in the same way.

In short: if your health is good and your kung fu is progressing, that's great. That's all you need to concern yourself with.

IronFist
11-18-2001, 11:37 PM
But my teacher is of the view that excess heat is associated with bodily impurities and/or emotional agitation. Within our school, greater coolness is taken as a sign of progress

I must be bloody dying!!

What style is your school?

Iron

boy_analog
11-19-2001, 04:47 AM
As I said, different styles have different methods, so I wouldn't worry about getting warm.

The style I'm learning is essentially the family style of my teacher, Bing Zhao. It seems to borrow from all sorts of internal styles, but overall it's probably more like Song-style xingyi quan than anything else.