PDA

View Full Version : Origin of this form???

Oolong
11-20-2017, 11:26 PM
I am trying to pinpoint where this form comes from. It was the very first form I ever learned. However, my sifu taught a hodgepodge of different forms and I never bothered to ask. so does it look familiar?

https://youtu.be/2qCa66wl4Dc

Possibilities include 5 Family, Hung Sing CLF, Chinese Kenpo, Longfist etc

David Jamieson
11-21-2017, 01:24 PM
kempo by the looks of it

Oolong
11-22-2017, 03:21 AM
It must be Kenpo. Why else would it have such a wacky name.

I thought the swings at the end were deadass choylifut though. Then again Ed Parker cross-trained in just about everything.

mickey
11-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Greetings,

Ed Parker did engage the talents of Gm James Wing Woo, who created forms for Parker's Kenpo system. Gm Woo also knew Choy Li Fut.

It makes me wonder if the continued usage of the term "mace" is actually derived from the Chinese word for hammer, Chui: a word that pops up in the name of some Chinese forms.

mickey

Jimbo
11-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Greetings,

Ed Parker did engage the talents of Gm James Wing Woo, who created forms for Parker's Kenpo system. Gm Woo also knew Choy Li Fut.

It makes me wonder if the continued usage of the term "mace" is actually derived from the Chinese word for hammer, Chui: a word that pops up in the name of some Chinese forms.

mickey

mickey:

You're almost certainly correct about the mace/chui definition in that form.

Oolong:

As a CLF practitioner, the only thing that looked much like CLF to me was the first 11 seconds or so (the opening salute into Sei Ping Ma). The swinging punches at the end may have had some superficial resemblance to CLF, but the form overall looks like "karate-fu".

When I was young, I also had a black belt in Kenpo, and if that is a Kenpo mishmash rendition of CLF, he's pretty stiff at it. Back in my Kenpo days, I'd seen Kenpo people from other schools do ripoff versions of Hung Gar's Fu Hok Seung Ying (Tiger/Crane double form), and if anything, they did it too fast (hurriedly) and too 'fluidly' (but without any HG spirit). I would have doubly thought that any Kenpo mishmash inspired by CLF, would also be much faster and much more fluid than the form in the vid. If that form is from Kenpo, it must have been put together more recently, during the post-Ed Parker era.

Edit to add:

IIRC, I heard that Ed Parker had spent some time in San Francisco observing at Lau Bun's Hung Sing school. Though I'm not really sure if many (or any) outsiders would have been allowed to do that.

mickey
11-30-2017, 04:22 PM
mickey:

You're almost certainly correct about the mace/chui definition in that form.

Hi Jimbo,

Thank you for sharing.

mickey

Oolong
12-10-2017, 11:54 PM
Sorry, getting back to this kinda late. I was interested in the chui/mace connection as well as it is used in Hung Gar, Lohan etc. My guess is he took choy li fut, and renamed every swinging movement "mace".

At our school we trained Southern Shaolin/5 Animals as our base, and Chinese Kenpo techniques for fighting.